JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

My married daughter's congregation (I have three more who are single) had a family attend in person when they knew their child tested positive for Covid - and they brought the child to the meeting! Now some have come down with Covid :( 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

5 minutes ago, Qapla said:

My married daughter's congregation (I have three more who are single) had a family attend in person when they knew their child tested positive for Covid - and they brought the child to the meeting! Now some have come down with Covid :( 

I REALLY hope a special needs talk is going to be in the future for your congregation.

5 minutes ago, felito said:

I never had COVID before and after our convention, lots of families are infected, including us.

Individuals are not following instructions.  Sad

The problem with COVID is you can have it and not even know (your immune system might be strong enough to keep it at bay).  You can even have it and be contagious before you start having symptoms.

Just FYI - It's not necessarily an instruction following issue.

11 minutes ago, coolbrz731 said:

I REALLY hope a special needs talk is going to be in the future for your congregation.

It wouldn't help my married daughter's congregation if a local needs talk was given for our congregation since I live in Florida, and she lives in Michigan.

You're right - I hope her congregation has a talk about it - or at least, a strong reminder in the announcements

Last week I visited an older brother in a facility, he is 96 and on hospice for bone cancer. Two days after my visit the family told me that he had tested positive for covid. Several people in the facility tested positive and were quarantined. Fortunately he only developed a slight cough and recovered. Since he might have been positive during my visit, I waited 5 days per CDC guidelines and tested, I am negative, however I still wore a mask when I was around people even several days after I tested negative.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 minute ago, computerwiz said:

The problem with COVID is you can have it and not even know (your immune system might be strong enough to keep it at bay).  You can even have it and be contagious before you start having symptoms.

In my daughter's congregation with this case - it IS an issue of not following instructions - since the child tested positive and they knew it - and came anyway

Yup, I believe that. Talked to a sister in Vancouver, WA. They got back from RC, half of th attendees are down with Covid.

Then there's the virus that's associated with Covid. It doesnt show on a Covid test. I swear that's what I had last week. Had no sense of taste, incredible weakness, fever, headache and tired!!!! Tired doesn't even come close to describing it.

Makes me grateful for Zoom. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.france24.com/en/live-news/20230811-global-covid-cases-up-80-as-new-subvariant-rises-1

It's everywhere again. Not to cause alarm but just awareness. 

I'm using my mask and sanitizer again. Not to be an extremist but be cautious. A fellow worker has not lost his mask since it all went back to 'normal'. His wife is in the surgical field. And since I got so sick a week ago I believe he's not so wrong. And after a RC half the friends came down with Covid, welp, I'm just being more careful. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 5:21 PM, computerwiz said:

Interesting what they find with this challenge study about asymptomatic spread. 

40 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Interesting what they find with this challenge study about asymptomatic spread. 

I couldn't find much information out about "The Hill TV" I did find a Facebook page -> https://www.facebook.com/HillTVLive/about_contact_and_basic_info

It looks like they are a media group and they say they are "news" and not "Entertainment" like so many of those who post videos, BUT AVOID print information. This might be the correct site -> https://www.nexstar.tv/nexstar-digital-launches-the-hill-tv-on-plex/

note: interesting that they DID point to the CDC for more information. And of course there is nothing on the CDC site saying "DO NOT WEAR A MASK"

Just follow our Organization and the scriptures – especially Romans 13 and follow whatever guidance the “superior authorities” give us – whether we agree or not (provide it is not against another Bible principle).

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

My wife and I just got our flu shots, we are very proactive as both of us are high risk for health issues. I was talking to the pharmacist who gave our shots about the flu and covid and she was concerned. Her biggest concern was personal hygiene. Too many are just not washing hands enough, covering coughs and not staying home when sick. She said she would not shake hands and wear a mask in a crowd in a smaller building such as "church".  Our area has had a number of Covid cases and some of the friends have had covid multiple times. Keep alert and stay healthy.

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

Just now, vern said:

surgeons from what i was told wore masks so they wouldn't spit in open wounds.  so masks if your sick. but not if your not.  imho.

Yes. Masks have always been better at preventing someone infected from spreading it. Not as good with protecting you from others.

People don't wear them correctly enough. Plus they touch their faces more with masks. And masks increase carbon dioxide retention. Personally I'm more concerned with forever plastics getting in my lungs from mask fibers.

We had 28 at our Hall last night.  It's going around for sure. We'll see if I get it this time. Got the J&J shot and 1 booster, but still caught it 4 times. No more boosters for me. We'll see what happens naturally... 

Just about everyone here is saying the flu this year is much worse than covid right now. I got the flu twice in 2 months, it really knocked me for six! I don't have anything to compare it with because so far I've dodged covid, but those who've had both are saying the flu was worse by a large margin. And I'd had the flu shot, it didn't save me at all this time. 

5 minutes ago, Ludwika said:

Just about everyone here is saying the flu this year is much worse than covid right now. I got the flu twice in 2 months, it really knocked me for six! I don't have anything to compare it with because so far I've dodged covid, but those who've had both are saying the flu was worse by a large margin. And I'd had the flu shot, it didn't save me at all this time. 

Thankfully me and my wife don't get the flu. Only had it once in my life.

Years ago I read the flu shot is 50-25% effective. It goes down with age. I used to get it since it is free, but stopped years ago after I was sick for a day from it (though I was just coming off a cold, so I was no doubt weak)

7 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Thankfully me and my wife don't get the flu. Only had it once in my life.

Years ago I read the flu shot is 50-25% effective. It goes down with age. I used to get it since it is free, but stopped years ago after I was sick for a day from it (though I was just coming off a cold, so I was no doubt weak)

I went literally decades without ever getting the flu, but a couple of years before the pandemic, we went to a convention and got the worst flu ever! And not just us. A plane came in from Australia, and the passengers were taken straight off the plane to the hospital! We got home, but I've never been so ill, not even with pneumonia! A good many of us said the same. You actually felt as if you were going to die! 

So I figured that would give me some immunity, not at all, from then on, every year I came down with it! My sister has found the same, as if it's left its mark somehow.

So I started getting the jab. Since then I've been ok, but not this year, they obviously quite didn't guess which strain would be going around I assume. 

1 minute ago, Ludwika said:

I went literally decades without ever getting the flu, but a couple of years before the pandemic, we went to a convention and got the worst flu ever! And not just us. A plane came in from Australia, and the passengers were taken straight off the plane to the hospital! We got home, but I've never been so ill, not even with pneumonia! A good many of us said the same. You actually felt as if you were going to die! 

So I figured that would give me some immunity, not at all, from then on, every year I came down with it! My sister has found the same, as if it's left its mark somehow.

So I started getting the jab. Since then I've been ok, but not this year, they obviously quite didn't guess which strain would be going around I assume. 

I'd love to see some of your blood work when you are "healthy". There's 5 immune system numbers that are often not even considered, but can let you know if you got a stealth infection. Could have had trouble completely removing that particular strand. Or got something else along with it...

My Monocytes were elevated for years. PCP never pointed them out. But Dr. Kevin did. And now they're in a normal range. Stealth infections can do that, and you won't have symptoms. 

Also I read somewhere that some viruses change our DNA. In fact, we are allegedly 10% viral DNA. Probably part of the reason we have so many health problems. So it may have changed yours. Or maybe that article was just being sensational. 🤷‍♂️

14 hours ago, vern said:

so masks if your sick. but not if your not.

I agree. Personal hygiene too needs to improve. I am amazed at assemblies and conventions how many people eat without cleaning their hands first. Not even a wipe or hand sanitizer. I see the same at restaurants also. I'm not a germophobic person. Cleaning of phone screens is another area where many people need to improve and tablets. The key is being proactive not reactive so much. To me it's like having a go bag ready. same principle applies to our personal health. 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

9 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

I am amazed at assemblies and conventions how many people eat without cleaning their hands first. Not even a wipe or hand sanitizer. I see the same at restaurants also.

Pre-COVID, I would have agreed with you there.  But post-COVID, I have a new opinion.

During the pandemic, I noticed something with my family.  Those that had to work for a living (and therefore around others) didn't suffer as badly with COVID.  Whereas those whom stay home all the time had it way worse.  I have enough family members that fit this exact situation to say that it was statistically significant.

Since my observation, I've been more lax on washing my hands.  Probably for the past 1.5 years.  So far, I seem to get less sickness than before.  That doesn't mean I don't wash at all....I definitely always wash after a trip to the restroom.  But I'm not as obsessed with it as I used to be.  I am okay with eating finger foods without washing now, most of the time.  Its been months since I've caught anything at all.  Hard to say with only about 1.5 years of data, but I'd say I've been sick slightly less than before.  And when I do catch something, it doesn't seem to linger as much as it used to.

Our immune system is like an army, waiting for a battle.  If you don't give it anything to fight, it gets lazy.  Then when a real battle comes, it has trouble fighting because it's out of practice....  🤔