JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

5 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Our immune system is like an army, waiting for a battle

But what about those with comprised immune systems? I'm glad you wash your hands after going to the bathroom. How would you feel if the people were making your food at a restaraunt were not washing their hands after collecting money, shaking hands, opening doors or they chose not to wear gloves. 

We wash our hands before we prepare our food, including touching raw chicken for example. 

"Washing your hands with regular soap and running water is a highly effective way to stop the spread of germs and bacteria, including COVID-19.

It’s important to wash your hands before and after handling food or eating. Regular, nonantibacterial soap is fine for most everyday use."-Healthline.com

The Cleveland Clinic had an interesting article on handwashing and I quote it: 

The hygiene hypothesis

The belief that a lot of cleaning and hand-washing weakens your immune system was probably born out of something called the hygiene hypothesis. This is the idea that kids who are exposed to more viruses, bacteria and other pathogens early in life build stronger immune systems.

“This idea comes from observations that some developing countries where kids might be exposed to more pathogens tend to have lower rates of certain diseases such as allergies and asthma,” Dr. Fernandez notes.

But there’s still debate around this hypothesis – and how much of a role personal hygiene plays. “Theoretically it makes sense, but there isn’t a lot of strong science behind it,” Dr. Fernandez notes.

It’s also not meant to be interpreted as a sweeping generalization that more germs and less cleanliness is better.

Studies have repeatedly shown that keeping your hands clean is one of the best tools we have for reducing the spread of dangerous infectious diseases.

There are also many other factors that can affect your immune health that aren’t related to hygiene.

So here’s the big takeaway: There’s no evidence that a short-term boost in hand-washing and cleaning will reduce your body’s immune function.-Can Being Too Clean Weaken Your Immune System? – Cleveland Clinic

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

51 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

But what about those with comprised immune systems?

My opinion is for someone in a normal situation.  With every rule, there is always exceptions.  People in that situation would need to be more precautious.

But I'd also argue that they should pursue getting their immune system back into order.  Many (but not all) ailments have cures, but doctors are more interested in management than curing.  "A patient cured is a customer lost".  This is a whole 'nother conversation that I'd be happy to engage in, but privately, as that would be off-topic here.

How would you feel if the people were making your food at a restaraunt were not washing their hands after collecting money, shaking hands, opening doors or they chose not to wear gloves. 

Not good.  My opinion is not so simple.  Like life, it's not black & white.  This would be an instance where I'd want them to always wash their hands before handling my food.

But in my case, knowing where my hands have been, there are times when I may be comfortable forgoing washing my hands because I know they are not that bad.  And so I can comfortably eat my food.  But I would always wash my hands before handling others' food out of principle love.  I have enough discipline & mental fortitude to know not to apply my feelings to others.  But I know and agree that for most people, they should just have hand-washing as a habit so they don't forget...

People forget so much.....

We wash our hands before we prepare our food, including touching raw chicken for example.

Yes, this is an important circumstance when we should always wash our hands.  Again, my opinion is not so simple.  There are many instances, like this, where you definitely want to wash your hands.  I just used the bathroom as an example. I wasn't about to list every single instance.....

Can Being Too Clean Weaken Your Immune System? – Cleveland Clinic

"Science is never settled".

Anytime we read any science article, we need to be very very very observant.  Here's some of my observations:

• This article is quoting a single doctor...as if he is the one and only authority on the subject.
  • The doctor says "there's no evidence".
    • Really?  None at all?  He's read every single study?  Every single experiment?  These extreme words should be a red flag.  Sensational indeed...
  • "The belief that a lot of cleaning and hand-washing weakens your immune system was probably born out of something called the hygiene hypothesis."
    • How reassuring...."probably".  Watch for these words.  Such as "may", "might", "perhaps".  You'll find tons of these words in articles...so don't take them as 100% fact when you see this.
  • “Theoretically it makes sense, but there isn’t a lot of strong science behind it,” Dr. Fernandez notes.
    • So we went from "no evidence" to "isn't a lot of strong science".  What is it???  And while we're asking, what exactly is "strong" science?  😂
  • "Studies have repeatedly shown that keeping your hands clean is one of the best tools we have for reducing the spread of dangerous infectious diseases."
    • Absolutely 100% true.  But that doesn't speak to whether or not it keeps your immune system strong & ready.
  • "So here’s the big takeaway: There’s no evidence that a short-term boost in hand-washing and cleaning will reduce your body’s immune function."
    • Again, 100% true.  But what about long-term???  Do you see how this final sentence can be misleading?  Now you think hand-washing is fine and you can't do it too much.  But did you catch how it was ONLY referring to short-term?  Absolutely nothing is going to change or pop up if you're only looking at short-term.  What about long-term???

Now when it comes to long-term, the more time passes the more variables can skew the results.  So then you need to have a much larger sample size and a much control as possible.  But who is going to do that for something as simple as hand washing?  We all know we're supposed to do that.  And allergies will just remain a mystery.  Oh well...

So this is where discernment comes in.  Where you have to think for yourself.  Do you know how the immune system works?  Do you know why some people catch things but others don't?  Do you know why you can't catch the same thing twice (usually)?  Then based on that knowledge, you determine when & how much you should hand wash....

PS - I could probably find several articles that agree with my statement and say we are washing our hands too much.  But that's how things are....you can always find both sides.  In the end, you have to use discernment.

And remember, "science is never settled".

Edited by computerwiz

11 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

we are washing our hands too much

No one said anything about washing our hands too much. I was just using an example before eating. In the book How to Remain God's Love it talks about washing our hands before eating. On page 109 paragraph 15 "Our body and clothing. Keeping ourselves clean needs to be part of our daily routine. For example, we bathe regularly, every day if possible. We wash our hands with soap and water, especially before cooking or eating and definitely after using the toilet or touching something dirty. Washing our hands seems like a simple thing, but it is necessary in order to stop bacteria and disease from spreading." 

I respect your viewpoint and each one of us has to make a personal decision to hygiene. My wife and I both have compromised immune systems and therefore are very careful when it comes to our choices. For instance, I no longer shake hands with the brothers or sisters. I never force my choices on hygiene on anyone else. Yet. at times others have voiced their view without really knowing my situation fully.  I am not a germophobe or obsessive in my hand cleaning. I was my hands after using the bathroom, before eating and just other times as needed. 

I don't think we will agree on this issue 100% and that's great. I have found a formula that has worked for my wife and I, and we will continue to use it. Stay healthy!

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

3 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

I have found a formula that has worked for my wife and I, and we will continue to use it.

Indeed, every body is different.  Life is super complex, which is why it is so important that we care about our health and take matters into our own hands as much as possible.  No one knows you better than yourself.  Doctors can be a good guide, but they don't hold the absolute truth.  That's why second opinions exist.  😉

8 minutes ago, Pabo said:

How do you know that someone that works in a chemicals industry?

They wash their hands before going to the toilet.

Absolutely. I worked in the oil industry and some of the refining processes involved acid, the workers were very careful to decontaminate before eating, drinking or doing anything else...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I used to work making pizza back before you had to wear plastic gloves (we had to be "health food certified"). We had jalapenos as a topping. Trust me, people learn to wash their hands before using the toilet after handling hot peppers!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Two Covids in my work world.  One at the office last week (but I don't work in that building anymore) and the other today - my manager.  But she lives in San Francisco.

I'm happy to have not caught Covid yet.  I will take whatever new boosters come out coz that's how I roll.  I hope we all stay healthy and safe.  ❤️ 

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Portugal on the west every one is catching it

im covid positive for the 5th time

husband in bed

we are back to zoom

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

On 9/24/2023 at 12:47 PM, Hope said:

Patiently awaiting booster availability at my doctor's. I'm on a cruise first week in November and I'm taking no chances 😬😷

Hope see if you can get some lab work and check Vit D levels. Depending where you live you might be low this time of year and could supplement to get up, will help your immune system being on the cruise. 

• 2 weeks later...

My mother and sister were here this past week to go on a Columbia Riverboat cruise (last Saturday - Wednesday). I was deadly ill with some awful upper respiratory infection last week (NOT covid) and although I was feeling slightly better when they arrived last Friday, I wore a mask and picked them up at the airport, made them lunch and we went out to dinner that evening.

I didn't see them again 'til Wednesday morning when I fetched them from their hotel, went to breakfast and I dropped them at the airport. The usual hug and kiss good-bye and I'm off to work - feeling all better, thank you 😉 

Mom calls yesterday afternoon and says, "guess what I brought back from Portland with me?  COVID!!!!" 😭 She's pretty sick - no taste or smell, very fatigued, cough, nausea.  My sister is staying with her; she's tested negative.  I have, too - and I'll do a re-test tomorrow.   *sigh* 

My mum is 87 years old and has chronic lung and heart issues.  She is fully vaxxed, boosted, etc., and is generally healthy.  This is her first time catching it. Doctor has ordered Paxlovid, so my sister will be dosing her up with that.  Fortunately, I don't really have to see anyone until Tuesday, which would be five full days away... although I haven't been to the Hall in ages, it seems - I miss everyone!  I'm also missing first Saturday service AND a Metro shift tomorrow... :(   If I test negative tomorrow, I think I'll go to meeting on Sunday with a mask on and sit in the back... what do you think?

Anyway - that's what's going on around here...

47 minutes ago, Hope said:

My mother and sister were here this past week to go on a Columbia Riverboat cruise (last Saturday - Wednesday). I was deadly ill with some awful upper respiratory infection last week (NOT covid) and although I was feeling slightly better when they arrived last Friday, I wore a mask and picked them up at the airport, made them lunch and we went out to dinner that evening.

I didn't see them again 'til Wednesday morning when I fetched them from their hotel, went to breakfast and I dropped them at the airport. The usual hug and kiss good-bye and I'm off to work - feeling all better, thank you 😉 

Mom calls yesterday afternoon and says, "guess what I brought back from Portland with me?  COVID!!!!" 😭 She's pretty sick - no taste or smell, very fatigued, cough, nausea.  My sister is staying with her; she's tested negative.  I have, too - and I'll do a re-test tomorrow.   *sigh* 

My mum is 87 years old and has chronic lung and heart issues.  She is fully vaxxed, boosted, etc., and is generally healthy.  This is her first time catching it. Doctor has ordered Paxlovid, so my sister will be dosing her up with that.  Fortunately, I don't really have to see anyone until Tuesday, which would be five full days away... although I haven't been to the Hall in ages, it seems - I miss everyone!  I'm also missing first Saturday service AND a Metro shift tomorrow... :(   If I test negative tomorrow, I think I'll go to meeting on Sunday with a mask on and sit in the back... what do you think?

Anyway - that's what's going on around here...

Sorry to hear. ☹️

Symptoms are more important than a negative test. If I remember correctly the CDC says you should be fine 24 hours after your last fever.

We tested negative for years until recently, finally got our first positive. But we had an antibody test one time that showed we had it, but the nasal test kept testing negative.

So I think your precaution is the best idea. Better safe the sorry, especially since you know for a fact you were around someone who always sick. 

1 hour ago, Hope said:

respiratory infection last week (NOT covid

We all had covid last week

Tests were always negative 

Todays variants are different and not all LFT can detect it.

my symptoms were similar to

BA.1 back in December 2021

we stayed in zoom just in case

my nose is still blocked.

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

Our in-person meeting last night was cancelled and we all had the meeting over Zoom instead. There's a local outbreak and a significant number in my congregation currently has Covid.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

A few weeks ago my daughter and her husband went with a group to take out the speaker and his wife. The next morning they got a call that the speakers wife had “full blown Covid”. Apparently she wasn’t feeling great on Sunday but didn’t think much about it. A couple of days later my daughter started feeling bad and over the course of a couple of weeks had what she called the Covid variety pack. Lol Her tests were negative for Covid. I’m thinking the tests aren’t picking it up as well as before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Our in-person meeting last night was cancelled and we all had the meeting over Zoom instead. There's a local outbreak and a significant number in my congregation currently has Covid.

Is your CA next week?

So apparently I caught a sinus infection. Yesterday evening was miserable! And you should have seen the color of my mucus this morning... :blink: (sorry if TMI)

I thought it was just crazy bad allergies until I saw that. Tested negative for COVID. Now I'm generously hitting it with APeX water...and my that stuff works! Already feel 50% better and I can breathe. Yesterday my nose was completely swollen shut!!

Now to take some more Airborne for vitamins... 

4 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Então, aparentemente, peguei uma infecção sinusal. Ontem à noite foi horrível! E você deveria ter visto a cor do meu muco esta manhã...  :piscar: (desculpe se TMI)

Eu pensei que eram apenas alergias malucas até ver isso. Teste negativo para COVID. Agora estou generosamente batendo com água APeX... e essa coisa funciona! Já me sinto 50% melhor e consigo respirar. Ontem meu nariz estava completamente inchado!!

Agora, tome mais Airborne para obter vitaminas... 

I wish you a speedy recovery as soon as possible!

7 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

So apparently I caught a sinus infection. Yesterday evening was miserable! And you should have seen the color of my mucus this morning... :blink: (sorry if TMI)

I thought it was just crazy bad allergies until I saw that. Tested negative for COVID. Now I'm generously hitting it with APeX water...and my that stuff works! Already feel 50% better and I can breathe. Yesterday my nose was completely swollen shut!!

Now to take some more Airborne for vitamins... 

APeX will definitely work. Infection can't survive in an oxygenated environment! Where did you order from?

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34