JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

11 minutes ago, Wren said:

Supermarket I went to yesterday was stocked as usual. Plenty of rice, pasta etc.

Where? Eastern suburbs of Melbourne are different story 

BTW, yesterday same supermarket had semi normal supply of toilet paper and rice ...today situation is best described by the photo I have posted. EMPTY. 
Panic buying is here in full force, it just shows how quickly the situation can change. 

Edited by New World Explorer

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

3 minutes ago, Wren said:

Supermarket I went to yesterday was stocked as usual. Plenty of rice, pasta etc.

I don't think people realise that this is a long-term thing - there is no deadline date that has been given for a vaccine. This just shows how well the Western world will cope with a situation that has not even reached anywhere near its peak - thank goodness we have Jehovah.

Coles at Richmond in the Hawkesbury district. About 50km north west of Sydney and Windsor was ok a few days ago. These townships have been in  the centre of a semi-rural district since forever so the population is not as dense as the inner suburbs, although the new estates are now encroaching. 

9 minutes ago, Wren said:

Coles at Richmond in the Hawkesbury district. About 50km north west of Sydney and Windsor was ok a few days ago. These townships have been in  the centre of a semi-rural district since forever so the population is not as dense as the inner suburbs, although the new estates are now encroaching. 

Rennie some supermarkets were OK yesterday ...but today it's ENTIRELY different story. 

Coronavirus-led panic buying forces Morrison to call Woolworths and Coles

As panic buying continues to empty shelves in supermarkets across the country, the prime minister has praised Australians for their commonsense.

Scott Morrison said he contacted Coles and Woolworths executives on Tuesday morning, “just to get an update” on how the retail giants are planning to main supply chains.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-led-panic-buying-forces-morrison-to-call-woolworths-and-coles-c-727332

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Ok, I'll check the shops again tomorrow and report back. If you need some rice let me know but toilet paper...you're on your own 🤣

Edited to add that there was a guy shopping at Richmond yesterday who said he was doing his Corona Virus shopping 

Edited by Wren

17 hours ago, JennyM said:

Dangerous thinking? well, thank you for your input or correction ..  Thats why  we need each other... Im just wondering if the virus will go pandemic, how can we follow the command through the yeartext.. Yes, we do internet witnessing or call people but  theres huge difference if we talk to them in person. 

Ok yeah.. Pestilence is a sign of the last day.. but according to the media, this is getting worse etc... Sounds like media hyped not balance. .. So far, still we enjoy preaching in the public and people are listening more now. 

It is important you follow the lead of the branch and the elders. Many people here have suggested letter writings and others. However, this form is currently discouraged here. The reason is that because of the ongoing virus panic, there are actual reports that people have shown genuine disgusts where we have sent letters that it may contain viruses. Thus, the branch discourages letter witnessing for the time being: “In no way are we giving any cause for stumbling, so that no fault may be found with our ministry.”

You have said that you still can preach in the public, so that is fine. The branch and the elders will give appropriate instruction on how to continue to do ministry and “make disciples.”

If you have any concerns about receiving packages from China or overseas, this bit from the information sheet handed at work today:

A5749051-B06D-40B2-AED4-7820DD7D7691.thumb.jpeg.a4c2ce581beab09ad78545ad42179f7d.jpeg

It’s from a large Australian Government Dept quoting WHO. 

So, cleaning of surfaces is important, but it’s good to know this virus isn’t going to survive for too long on a surface, hours rather than days or weeks. (So my masks coming from China should be ok to use 🤣).

3 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Where? Eastern suburbs of Melbourne are different story 

BTW, yesterday same supermarket had semi normal supply of toilet paper and rice ...today situation is best described by the photo I have posted. EMPTY. 
Panic buying is here in full force, it just shows how quickly the situation can change. 

If it's the same as in Japan, the shortage of toilet paper is due to a false story that toilet paper comes from China and stocks are running low. Which is crazy as in Japan, toilet paper is made in Japan. :)

3 hours ago, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

The branch and the elders will give appropriate instruction on how to continue to do ministry and “make disciples.”

And this is the key..as I am fully confident that FDS is closely monitoring the situation, and praying to Jehovah for direction.

Yes, people around us may panic, but Jehovah's people preserve calm, and trust in Jehovah.  

Psalm 65:7 says: You calm the raging seas,
The crash of their waves and the turmoil of the nations

Jehovah is undisturbed, we can imitate this spirit while living in the last days of the last days. 

Edited by New World Explorer

17 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

If it's the same as in Japan, the shortage of toilet paper is due to a false story that toilet paper comes from China and stocks are running low. Which is crazy as in Japan, toilet paper is made in Japan. :)

Major producer of toilet paper in Australia Kimberly-Clark Australia stated that shortage will be alleviated soon:

"Kleenex toilet paper for Australia and NZ is made at our Mill in South Australia so whilst we are seeing increased demand by consumers, we have sufficient supply," the spokesperson said.

"We're now working with our customers to replenish supermarket shelves faster."

Quilton's parent company, ABC Tissue, also told us demand has soared recently but its working to meet it.

"Demand for tissue products has increased in the last few weeks," an ABC Tissue spokesperson said to Lifehacker Australia. "Our mission is [to] work efficiently and communicate effectively with our retail partners to enable consumers to buy our products when they want and where they want.

This means the sudden spike in demand caused by panic buying is the primary reason why there's a sudden scarcity in some stores around Australia — not coronavirus affecting supply lines. It's also understood some of Australia's toilet paper suppliers source the raw materials from Brazil and Scandinavian countries, which are not being greatly affected by the virus at this time.https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2020/03/panic-buying-toilet-paper-coronavirus/

8 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

And this is the key..as I am fully confident that FDS is closely monitoring the situation and praying to Jehovah for direction.

Yes, people around us may panic, but Jehovah's people preserve calm and trust in Jehovah.  

Psalm 65:7 says: You calm the raging seas,
The crash of their waves and the turmoil of the nations

Jehovah is undisturbed, we can imitate this spirit while living in the last days of the last days. 

This is what is driving me crazy. People are not dropping dead in the streets. People seem to be listening more to the media than health professionals.

3 hours ago, Wren said:

Ok, I'll check the shops again tomorrow and report back. If you need some rice let me know but toilet paper...you're on your own 🤣

Edited to add that there was a guy shopping at Richmond yesterday who said he was doing his Corona Virus shopping 

Why toilet paper is so important in the west? People survived for thousands of years without it. I know some people here who don't use one because its not included in the budget. 

3 hours ago, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

It is important you follow the lead of the branch and the elders. Many people here have suggested letter writings and others. However, this form is currently discouraged here. The reason is that because of the ongoing virus panic, there are actual reports that people have shown genuine disgusts where we have sent letters that it may contain viruses. Thus, the branch discourages letter witnessing for the time being: “In no way are we giving any cause for stumbling, so that no fault may be found with our ministry.”

You have said that you still can preach in the public, so that is fine. The branch and the elders will give appropriate instruction on how to continue to do ministry and “make disciples.”

Yes its true. So far, the virus  is not that much here yet.. But chinese ministry is cancelled. so yeah elders are taking precautions.. 

3 minutes ago, JennyM said:

Why toilet paper is so important in the west? People survived for thousands of years without it. I know some people here who don't use one because its not included in the budget. 

Yes its true. So far, the virus  is not that much here yet.. But chinese ministry is cancelled. so yeah elders are taking precautions.. 

Do you think that this is just a sign of the last days? Or is this leading to something bigger?

2 minutes ago, GraceH said:

Do you think that this is just a sign of the last days? Or is this leading to something bigger?

Since its a coincidence of a bigger prophecy that was revealed recently (king of the north) It will lead to a bigger something.. Jehovah has used plague in Egypt to save His people.. He can use this virus too. Maybe, Jah let this virus scatter in the world to be ready on His big day. "people will faint out of fear" ---Luke 

So yes, Ive been anxious much in the past 2 years because of job issue but I realized that I need to focus more in the ministry to sanctify Jehovah's name and to let know people Jah's salvation for them. 

Remember when the Egyptians' eldest kids, probably its a type of virus. 

And Jehovah did this on the very next day, and all sorts of livestock of Egypt began to die,+ but not one of Israel’s livestock died-----exodus 9:6

3 minutes ago, JennyM said:

Since its a coincidence of a bigger prophecy that was revealed recently (king of the north) It will lead to a bigger something.. Jehovah has used plague in Egypt to save His people.. He can use this virus too. Maybe, Jah let this virus scatter in the world to be ready on His big day. "people will faint out of fear" ---Luke 

What do you mean Jehovah is going to use the virus to save his people?

First Coronavirus announcement at  tonight’s meeting...We are to avoid shaking hands, kissing etc and to those who have a flu, DO NOT come to the meeting, listen-In via the phones..obviously practical advice. 

Our circuit assembly is coming up in a few weeks and so far, it has not been canceled. 

I seem to remember that every time something major happened there were rumours here of a ‘shortage’ of toilet paper!
I remember running low in the 1970’s because the miners were on strike or something!

”Pluto is no longer a planet. Quick, buy toilet paper!”

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Is this advice for Australia wide?

First Coronavirus announcement at  tonight’s meeting...We are to avoid shaking hands, kissing etc and to those who have a flu, DO NOT come to the meeting, listen-In via the phones..obviously practical advice. 

Edited by GraceH