JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

https://www.nst.com.my/world/world/2020/02/570273/how-long-can-covid-19-survive-surfaces

By Reuters - February 29, 2020 @ 9:41am

AS the Covid-19 coronavirus spreads quickly around the world, US health officials say they are “aggressively” assessing how long it can survive on surfaces to better understand the risk of transmission.

Based on what is known about similar coronaviruses, disease experts say the virus is mainly spread from person to person through coughing or sneezing. Contact with faecal matter from an infected person may also transmit the virus.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says it may be possible for a person to become infected by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose or eyes.

An analysis of 22 earlier studies of similar coronaviruses, including Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) published online this month in the Journal of Hospital Infection, concluded that human coronaviruses can remain infectious on inanimate surfaces for up to nine days at room temperature. However, they can quickly be rendered inactive using common disinfectants, and may also dissipate at higher temperatures, the authors wrote. It is not yet clear, however, whether the new coronavirus behaves in a similar way.

“On copper and steel it’s pretty typical, it’s pretty much about two hours,” CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield told US lawmakers on Thursday, referring to how long the new coronavirus may be active on those types of materials. “But I will say on other surfaces - cardboard or plastic - it’s longer, and so we are looking at this.”

The agency said there is likely a very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures.

A CDC spokeswoman, in an emailed statement, said the agency is still looking into how contagious the virus can be when deposited on more common, everyday surfaces.

The Food and Drug Administration this week said it has no evidence that Covid-19 has been transmitted from imported goods, but the situation remains “dynamic” and the agency said it will assess and update guidance as needed.

“The important big take-home message is that this is probably a small proportion of the transmission of respiratory viruses,” said Dr. Timothy Brewer, professor of epidemiology and medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles. “Out in the community, these viruses are probably not surviving for a long time on surfaces.”

Brewer explained that such viruses tend to survive the longest in low-temperature, low-humidity environments, “that is why you see lots of respiratory viruses during the winter.” - REUTERS

I dedcided to look up "how long does covid-19 last on surfaces" and came up with this from a google search.

I think I might be wearing gloves taking care of account donations for the foreseeable future.

I have not heard this report from the usa national news outlets before.

Just had my source confirmed by ABC World news.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Doesn't this all seem so surreal?

I feel like I felt that morning Sister Martin called me and told me to turn

on my television set because planes were flying into the World Trade Center

in New York.

The new norm is just so abnormal these days.  Ain't it faith-strengthening? :D  

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

7 hours ago, AH173 said:

I personally never liked using the poles from a long time ago

We are using them now. I don't mind them until the mic carrier places it directly in my face, blocking my notes I'm trying to use for a comment, lol

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

5 hours ago, Bro Richard said:

Has the Coronavirus topic turned into Toilet Talk?

It's  been a toilet paper talk for some time now Richard.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

11 hours ago, Lee49 said:

My daughter said that there was a letter read at last nights meeting stating that there will be no more hand held mics, going back to long poles, for now only those close to the end isle seats are able to answer while the brother holds the mic! A lot of friends calling in to listen, with only 25 able to do so , that's the limit 25, she was not able to get in, her husband attended.

5 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Was it actually in the letter, or was this the decision of her elder body and they simply included that statement in the announcement?

Lee, I owe you a big apology.  We had the same information relayed to us tonight.  Apparently there has been additional information sent to all congregations in the United States since the last time the letter was read.  Things are changing rapidly.

Edited by Shawnster

11 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Attention Australian members.

Im willing to take bids. I won't price gouge too much 

20200305_133739.thumb.jpg.5c32e865cf58f84858932fde18aec946.jpg20200305_133748.thumb.jpg.78c03e760faedacc7c0da193fb21a084.jpg

I will start the bidding process - $100. Actually I think Gold is probably the safer option taking into account the world economies right now - image.png.f27f164b22660ecbc60f314d31071862.png

Edited by GraceH

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I found this pretty interesting:

I’m putting these over my head. (Mostly so Emma doesn’t have to look at me.)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Genuine-Numatic-Henry-Edward-James-Nuvac-Hepa-Flo-Vacuum-Cleaner-Bags-NEW/253014281416?epid=1141310641&hash=item3ae8d38cc8:g:9yIAAOSwn0Vd1QHv

Edited by ChrisC

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

48 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Attention Australian members.

Im willing to take bids. I won't price gouge too much 

20200305_133739.thumb.jpg.5c32e865cf58f84858932fde18aec946.jpg20200305_133748.thumb.jpg.78c03e760faedacc7c0da193fb21a084.jpg

How  much for the pink flouncy thing?

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

3 hours ago, anniebea said:

It's here.... local to me now,  a man with no known source of infection, he's in intensive care.... however first of all he spent 2 days on a trolley in the hospital corridor!!! 

wow. just wow. Stay safe my sis. 

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I found this pretty interesting:

Thanks. Interesting. Here is a summary:

Air changed out every 2 mins and also passed though HEPA filters which are replaced every month.

Air in airplane cabins is dry with 20% humidity as aircons can't handle moisture.

Dry air makes us prone to colds as it dries our throats. Drink plenty of water on flights.

Deep cleaning of plane done every 45 days.

Smut Magazine had this tonight.  I think we need a little excitement in this forum for Corona virus, am tired of all the sad news on this pestilence! .  Let's get happy!

A VERY clean dance routine! Tik Tok users love Vietnamese song about coronavirus prevention and show off some super enthusiastic handwashing moves - as talk show host John Oliver calls the tune a 'club banger'

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Does anybody here know somebody that knows somebody that’s has covid19?

I don't know with a sister, a friend of mine, who travelled from san francisco to Philippines.. When she arrived in SF, she got sick  last week of february.  .. Shes just stayed home to cure herself.. taking onions.. Shes still young so I think it didn't affect her that much. 

2 hours ago, JennyM said:

I don't know with a sister, a friend of mine, who travelled from san francisco to Philippines.. When she arrived in SF, she got sick  last week of february.  .. Shes just stayed home to cure herself.. taking onions.. Shes still young so I think it didn't affect her that much. 

Please don't mention this to everyone. Why? Because onions might be the cure for the Corona Virus and everyone might grab it off the shelves then there will be a shortage of onions. The great Onion Famine is coming!!!!