JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Prince Philip has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace announces

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1132 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Prince Philip has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace announces

A statement issued by the palace just after midday spoke of the Queen's "deep sorrow" following his death at Windsor Castle on Friday morning.

The Duke of Edinburgh, who was the longest-serving consort in British history, had returned to Windsor on 16 March after a month in hospital.

Boris Johnson said he "inspired the lives of countless young people".

"It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband," the palace said.

One of the many articles about the Prince in the main news in the UK

Not unexpected but still: Death is an enemy

Listening to the radio at work when the radio went silent and then the announcement was made followed by the national anthem .  All BBC radio and TV was cancelled and switched over to the news.   Do the BBC have contingency plans for things like this?  Have they already got plans in place for when the Queen dies?

Learned a few things I didn't know before.  For example, although he was consort to the Queen, he never had the title of Prince Consort.  Only Prince Albert received that title. 

5 minutes ago, On the huh said:

Listening to the radio at work when the radio went silent and then the announcement was made followed by the national anthem .  All BBC radio and TV was cancelled and switched over to the news.   Do the BBC have contingency plans for things like this?  Have they already got plans in place for when the Queen dies?

Learned a few things I didn't know before.  For example, although he was consort to the Queen, he never had the title of Prince Consort.  Only Prince Albert received that title. 

I would imagine that for the Royal Family, there are contingencies for everything.  I do know that funeral arrangements for all of them have been planned, choreographed and practiced for years.  For someone as elderly as Prince Philip, no doubt plans have been in the offing for ages.. :(  I am very sorry for HMTQ - he was the love of her life... "her strength and stay..."  Her grief must be horrible 😢 

6 minutes ago, On the huh said:

All BBC radio and TV was cancelled and switched over to the news.   Do the BBC have contingency plans for things like this?  Have they already got plans in place for when the Queen dies?

Yes.  All media outlets have plans in place for any such major news event. 

I've worked for 4 newspapers with 10 years in the editorial department at the first newspaper.  We had standing files, news stories, and even obituaries for prominent local news makers in preparation for their death.  Now, if a small town newspaper is prepared like that, you can rest assured that a major news outlet like the BBC has plans and preparations. 

1 hour ago, Dustparticle said:

Just like the rapper, Prince Philip was just another human being. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/grammy-nominated-rapper-dmx-dead-at-age-50-161809834.html

Yes he is just anther human however if one is a subject to the Queen then Romans 13:7 comes into play. "Render to all their dues...to the one who calls for the tribute, the tribute,...the one who calls for the honor, such honor,"  so we wouldn't want to say something that appears to be disrespectful.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

2 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

Just like the rapper, Prince Philip was just another human being. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/grammy-nominated-rapper-dmx-dead-at-age-50-161809834.html

A lot people don’t know it but DMX was raised in the truth or at least exposed to it.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

2 hours ago, rocket said:

Yes he is just anther human however if one is a subject to the Queen then Romans 13:7 comes into play. "Render to all their dues...to the one who calls for the tribute, the tribute,...the one who calls for the honor, such honor,"  so we wouldn't want to say something that appears to be disrespectful.

I can not see how much the King or Queen comes to play when it comes to Romans 13:7. They are a royal family. Not Prime Ministers or Presidents, etc. The rulers  in the 1st century were basically pagans with their agendas. The Christians had render their dues, yet when  it came about their daily lives on both sides, it was just that way. The Christians were no part of the world. And believe me, when Herod Agrippa got sucker punch by angel in the stomach,  I don’t think the Christians was not around to see this. They had a lot better things to do. Acts 12:23 and Colossians 1:23.

Edited by Dustparticle

2 hours ago, rocket said:

Also - if we are also humans, it is appropriate to feel sorry for the death of a fellow human, isn't it?  And for a wife who's lost her husband of over 73 years.  Death is an enemy for ALL of us.  It doesn't cost us anything to be respectful, kind... or even sad does it? :( 

It still shows that people care for those who fulfilled Eccl. 7:1 -  A good name (or Reputation) and I believe this imperfect Prince, made a good name for himself by supporting the women who he loved and he gave up his career and remember he was a Prince of the Royal House of Greece, till it went democratic and the family had to flee.  He could have been a King but unforeseen circumstances happened to him and his entire family.  So in the long run, he made a good name for him self with all those years of public duty along side the love of his life. He was pretty handsome man in his youth, and when he middle aged.  A bit rough at times, and lost his patients with some, said crazy stuff out of his mouth, but could be course and or funny.  He and the Queen married 73 yrs.  That's a record for them, the longest living consort.  Some of our dear brothers and sisters haven't reached 73 yrs of marriage.  But when GT and Armageddon over, (if we live through it with Jehovah's help), and earth transformed into paradise, won't he be surprised to see this earth changed for the better (he was into the environment). He joined in with all the other unrighteous ones or billions to a cleansed earth.  He has the same chance as my parents who have long fell asleep in death, as well as the millions who died during this pandemic, and other illnesses not related to the pandemic.   He kind of reminded me of paragraphs in today's watchtower on headship.  He only carried it at home, but his wife took care of the government part, and he took care of his family at home. 

On 4/9/2021 at 11:46 AM, On the huh said:

Do the BBC have contingency plans for things like this?  Have they already got plans in place for when the Queen dies?

The Wendover Productions, Half as Interesting etc. YouTube videos can be as enlightening as they are sometimes random:

(Remembered seeing this video after I read your comment.)

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29