JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Russia invades Ukraine

5 hours ago, *Jack* said:

Can anyone tell if that’s the how do you view the future tract the lady is holding at 2:10?

I couldn’t make a close up, but it doesn’t look long enough…but then again it might be folded. Hard to say if it’s just a coupon, but it would be great if it was such a message of comfort in the form of one of our tracts.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

33 minutes ago, Woanders said:

I couldn’t make a close up, but it doesn’t look long enough…but then again it might be folded. Hard to say if it’s just a coupon, but it would be great if it was such a message of comfort in the form of one of our tracts.

It looks like an ID. 

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

On 4/8/2022 at 5:35 AM, Woanders said:

The general mood here in Germany. Could be similar in other European countries, I‘d assume. Starting at 17:30 min.

If you don't want to watch the video - here is that snippet:

poll.jpg.c362967442f2552e5f6526737a663b85.jpg

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

More than 200 priests of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church are demanding to put the primate of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, on a church tribunal because of his position relative to the war in Ukraine and his adherence to the "Russian World," Gromadske relates.

Source: https://www2.stetson.edu/religious-news/220411b.html

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

12 hours ago, Michał said:

We were on vacations so I don’t have a lot of things to talk but give me a week :)

Anyway, I guess no news is good news

Fun!  Where did you go?

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

6 hours ago, BLEmom said:

Fun!  Where did you go?

We went to Malta for a week. Lovely island. When the news came about returning to in-person meetings we considered visiting the hall in Malta (it would be the first meeting on April 3rd) but eventually decided to join our congregation on Zoom because we didn’t want to make additional troubles for brothers in Malta during their first in-person meeting. 

As a side note, people in Malta despite low cases treat mark mandates very seriously. I noticed that people who want attend the Memorial have to book it in advance. 

As a second side note, in Poznan (Poland) near the main train station (where we went to the airport) we saw our brothers and sisters with JW.ORG sign despite windy and rainy weather. ❤️

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

Russian Navy's Black Sea flagship sunk but fortunately for them it seems most of the crew escaped. (I wouldn't wish dying in the sea at night on anyone).

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/russia-says-flagship-black-sea-000410894.html

Ukranian forces claim it was one of their missiles while Russia blames a fire but that doesn't explain how the Ukrainian side knew about it being in trouble so fast.

I was watching a Ukrainian commentator when it happened and was eventually confirmed and the joke was

"The Kremlin announces that the Moskva was not sunk, instead it was cleverly converted into a submarine in a matter of minutes! Everything is going according to plan".

🤨 says

@zoebarry is right about the need for neutrality and fair reporting.

Agreed, my Ukrainian commentator while checking on this report rejected out of hand reports of it from Ukranian politicians saying she didn't trust any of them because they kept making false, misleading or exaggerated reports. She is pro Ukraine so not unbiased but she encouraged only trusting reliable sources which doesn't include her sides politicians.

I'm not blaming either side here 'In every war the first casualty is truth'.

11 minutes ago, Hugh O'D said:

"The Kremlin announces that the Moskva was not sunk, instead it was cleverly converted into a submarine in a matter of minutes! Everything is going according to plan".

:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Hugh O'D said:

Agreed, my Ukrainian commentator while checking on this report rejected out of hand reports of it from Ukranian politicians

And even with this one, we need to be carful. Because a reporter is just a reporter, and does not know details of any military operation. Yes, we read about conflicting news, but hey, at the end it does not change our stance on the issue of neutrality. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

16 hours ago, Hugh O'D said:

my Ukrainian commentator while checking on this report rejected out of hand reports of it from Ukranian politicians saying she didn't trust any of them because they kept making false, misleading or exaggerated reports.

4 hours ago, Shawnster said:

as we see today, an automatic knee-jerk refusal to accept anything and everything mainstream news/pro-government news is just as biased and polarized. 

In threads we don't always know when we're being replied to. So I'll clarify.

should have said she wouldn't believe the politicians commenting on the war when they said the Moskva had been sunk because these one had been caught out with misleading or exaggerated reports in the past, as individuals they had rendered themselves unreliable on this subject.

Neither she nor I said we'd never believe anything a politician said, such a stance is unfair, biased and not in harmony with scripture. The comment was in relation to verifying current incidents in the war. In life we find many people can be trustworthy on one subject but not on another, it's just part of human imperfection.

I think it's impossible to cover all bases in a comment and hadn't been intending to, just provide coverage to two sides. Thanks to all.

A U.N. Security Council Permanent Member’s De Facto Immunity From Article 6 Expulsion: Russia’s Fact or Fiction?

«Engaging Article 6 of the U.N. Charter to expel Russia is not, in fact or law, prevented by Russia’s status as a permanent member of the Security Council. (...) there is some reason to be optimistic, rather than cynical, about the global community’s legal right to hold even a Security Council permanent member accountable for its illegality by removing that offender from the community itself, as both a deterrent and an expressive signal of how much the global communities values the principles of the U.N. project. I suspect that this view does not appeal to the governments of any of the other four permanent members. But one consequence of making expulsion a real possibility is that it would shift attention to the justification required—the evidence of “persistent violations” that must be presented for the consideration of the General Assembly.

Expulsion has always been considered a drastic remedy, fraught with the risk that it would delegitimize the very concept of a global community of nations united in a process to peacefully resolve disputes and advance mutual interests, or at least cast out a member and force it to the fringe of global society, the periphery of cooperation and the sidelines of decision-making. That such action has never occurred in the U.N.’s history does not render the individual U.N. Charter’s meaning and purpose irrelevant, though. The charter is understood to be a “constitutional framework” that structures the rights and responsibilities of the member states. Just as one would interpret the U.S. Constitution in the absence of binding precedent, the charter’s rules, including rules creating the rights and responsibilities of the Security Council, ought to be read in a way consistent with the charter’s purpose and design. Article 6, demonstrated by its text and by its relation to other articles, does provide for the very kind of accountability that intuition demands but that conventional wisdom has, so far, prematurely deemed procedurally impossible.»

Source: https://www.lawfareblog.com/un-security-council-permanent-members-de-facto-immunity-article-6-expulsion-russias-fact-or-fiction

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

As of today (or maybe they were at yesterday's memorial too), we have a new couple in the congregation from Ukraine. For the moment they are staying with a brother and sister, the latter of whom is also from Ukraine. There is just the couple for the time being, but their two children are also coming in a couple of days.

Edited by Sheep

The Russian Defense Ministry said on Monday that Kiev, with Western backing, is planning to shell churches amid Orthodox Easter celebrations in southern and eastern Ukraine, and then pin the blame on Moscow.

It´s supposed to happen next weekend... “sophisticated monstrous provocations with numerous victims.”

Sources: https://english.almanar.com.lb/1585762

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2022/04/23/putins-war-on-ukraine-divides-russian-orthodox-church.cnn

Putin's war on Ukraine divides Russian Orthodox Church

Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill of Moscow has expressed full support of Putin's war against Ukraine, despite the fact that it's killing many of the church's civilian parishioners ( video )

2 hours ago, Lee49 said:

Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill of Moscow has expressed full support of Putin's war against Ukraine, despite the fact that it's killing many of the church's civilian parishioners

Normally I don't like news videos but they did a good job of expressing the fractured state of the Orthodox church, I'd highly recommend watching that short video. Cheers Brother Lee.

Edited by Hugh O'D

More about video.

On 4/23/2022 at 7:17 PM, Hugh O'D said:

Normally I don't like news videos but they did a good job of expressing the fractured state of the Orthodox church, I'd highly recommend watching that short video. Cheers Brother Lee.

So Ukrainian Orthofox Church of Moscow Patriarchate is massively losing parishioners? I hope these people are disillusioned by false religion and not by God so we can reach them. 

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

Just note how the deputy chairman of the Russian Security Council, Dmitry Medvedev defends Kirill and the ROC (Russian Orthodox Church)

One of Putin's closest henchmen calls Russia "the bulwark of the Christian world," and calls Russians "preservers of true Christians values," who are "defending them from atheists, bandits, and nationalists."

Petro Poroshenko urged the world to introduce sanctions against the ROC and its leader for participating in war crimes and genocide of Ukrainians. Poroshenko also thinks that Ukraine should set an example of strictly complying with laws on combating collaborationism (...)

The possibility of introducing sanctions against the ROCs and its head (Kirill) also is being discussed by the leadership of the European Union, concerning which the minister of foreign affairs of Lithuania, Landsbergis, spoke. He noted that the discussion is continuing and there is no final decision yet

Source: https://www2.stetson.edu/religious-news/220428a.html