JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Earthquakes In One Place After Another...

2 hours ago, AH173 said:

The CNN crawl of info at the bottom of the screen says that it could be up to tens of thousands of potentially dead ones. 

So sad. 

I heard 900 confirmed dead on Aljazeera,tens of thousands seem like an overextimate.

1 hour ago, Ishaya said:

I heard 900 confirmed dead on Aljazeera,tens of thousands seem like an overextimate.

In 1991 in Turkey, earthquake on a scale of 7.4 killed 17.000 people. 

This one was 7.8, and even aftershock was incredibly strong 7.5.

Based on what is happening there we can expect very high casualties, which is incredibly sad. 

In some areas rescuers are not yet present. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

BREAKING NEWS | Earthquake in Turkey

On February 6, 2023, a 7.8-magnitude earthquake hit southeastern Turkey. Significant aftershocks have also been felt in the region. Preliminary reports indicate that the majority of the brothers are well. However, an elderly sister in Adana and a brother in Adiyaman are still not accounted for. Two Disaster Relief Committees have been appointed and are addressing the immediate needs of our brothers and sisters. We pray that Jehovah continues to give our brothers calmness of heart as they comfort and support one another.—Isaiah 30:15.

So sad... already heartbreaking reports of thousands of dead: 

At least 3,452 people have died and rescuers are racing to pull survivors from beneath the rubble after a devastating earthquake ripped through Turkey and Syria, leaving destruction and debris on each side of the border.https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/05/europe/earthquake-hits-turkey-intl-hnk

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

55 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

It is amazing that Jehovahs Organization is on the ball of this with friends names

That is a good reminder about how important that it is for us to ensure the elders have current contact and emergency contact information for us. The congregation elders immediately contact everyone in their service group when there is an emergency, that information goes to the CO that sents it to the Branch. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I found it interesting that our national news broadcaster (ABC - Australian Broadcasting Corporation) presents the spelling as Türkiye, not Turkey, as the majority are still doing.

The name change was officially announced back in 2022, but it was being used by their government for a couple of years beforehand, especially in the export area, where they wanted it to presented as "Made in Türkiye".

I don't blame them for the name change, as many make pejorative remarks about them with a bird of the same name.

17 minutes ago, Pabo said:

I found it interesting that our national news broadcaster (ABC - Australian Broadcasting Corporation) presents the spelling as Türkiye, not Turkey, as the majority are still doing.

The Republic of Türkiye changed its official name from The Republic of Turkey on 26 May 2022.

Oh interesting, because the JW.org website appears to use 'Turkey' all the time apart from the actual contact address for the Witnesses in Turkey:

The United Nations uses Türkiye:

Edited by Parale

😢

I cannot even begin to imagine the terror these people must be experiencing.

Screenshot_20230206_193941.jpg.851974a3641673e4856c7bc474cdc892.jpg

😢

Edited by Friends just call me Ross

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

5 hours ago, Ishaya said:

Okay,Its having its own peculiar challenges,but we are surviving well.

thats good to know bro @Ishaya 

I had jw friends from NIgeria. I shared congregation with them for 2-3 yrs. I know that whatever challenges we have. 

Jehovah will always be with us. Joshua 1:9 

Btw, my thought about earthquakes news . Nothing is ordinary for me about earthquake. Been hearing this when I was young.  

20 minutes ago, JennyM said:

thats good to know bro @Ishaya 

I had jw friends from NIgeria. I shared congregation with them for 2-3 yrs. I know that whatever challenges we have. 

Jehovah will always be with us. Joshua 1:9 

Btw, my thought about earthquakes news . Nothing is ordinary for me about earthquake. Been hearing this when I was young.  

How young are you? The scale of earthquakes in the 21st century are astronomical compare to the 20th century. 

15 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

How young are you? The scale of earthquakes in the 21st century are astronomical compare to the 20th century. 

Im 40. Yup. I remember the awake mag 2011  which said  "great earthquake from 7-8 will be common. " My country is prone to earthquakes. I grew up with earthquake. My friend was born during a killer quake in 1990. 

On JW.org

KEEP ON THE WATCH!

Devastating Earthquakes Strike Turkey and Syria—What Does the Bible Say?

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=501100068&srcid=share

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

From the few interviews, what saved families vs.others were the husbands grabbed their wives and children and ran outside.One family didn’t make it outside, but still the doorway saved their lives vs. 12 other families in the same building who didn’t survive. Must have been one of the aftershocks, as the initial earthquake was most likely while they were sleeping in bed at 4 am ot sometime after.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

In a tweet sent on Friday, researcher at the Netherlands-based Solar System Geometry Survey (SSGEOS) Frank Hoogerbeets tweeted: “Sooner or later there will be a ~M 7.5 #earthquake in this region (South-Central Turkey, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon).”

Hoogerbeets’ tweet came exactly three days before the natural disaster struck Turkey and Syria, in which he also referred to other countries that felt the jolts of the earthquake.

He predicted that the earthquake would occur with a magnitude of 7.5 in the region.

https://english.alarabiya.net/News/world/2023/02/06/Dutch-researcher-accurately-predicts-Turkey-Syria-quake-3-days-before-it-happened

14 minutes ago, cme said:

I'm thankful to Jehovah we did not lose any friends.  Only 2 are missing.

This is true. I also appreciate how Jehovah says he feels about all humans. 

Ezekiel 18:32
“‘I do not take any pleasure in the death of anyone,’ declares the Sovereign Lord Jehovah. ‘So turn back and live.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

On 2/6/2023 at 1:53 PM, Ishaya said:

Unfortunately, the facts report its not an overestimate. 

May Jehovah do what he does the best in remembering all in the memorial tombs and bring them back. 

On 2/6/2023 at 11:01 AM, AH173 said:

The CNN crawl of info at the bottom of the screen says that it could be up to tens of thousands of potentially dead ones. 

So sad. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

But there are literally miracles too - the new born baby still attached by the unbiblical cord found between the mother legs. Unfortunately the rest of the family perished.

The baby would have died too within the hour had she not been rescued in time.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/this-newborn-baby-was-rescued-from-a-collapsed-building-in-syria-she-is-the-sole-survivor-of-her-family/5v5msch43