JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Earthquakes In One Place After Another...

After the San Francisco earthquake in 1906, the building requirements were strict because of the earthquake and the possibility of another one.  They started referring to it as the San Francisco fire so that the building requirements could be reduced and make new buildings cheaper.  They were more interested in getting the city rebuilt than they were in future safety.  

The death toll in the Turkey/Syria earthquake has reached 28,000 (the last I heard) and is expected to double before the search is finished.

2 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

After the San Francisco earthquake in 1906, the building requirements were strict because of the earthquake and the possibility of another one.  They started referring to it as the San Francisco fire so that the building requirements could be reduced and make new buildings cheaper.  They were more interested in getting the city rebuilt than they were in future safety.  

The death toll in the Turkey/Syria earthquake has reached 28,000 (the last I heard) and is expected to double before the search is finished.

Screenshot_20230212-231934.thumb.jpg.1ffd3e2b12a8eee33e66e64f5fe3637b.jpgScreenshot_20230212-231934.thumb.jpg.1ffd3e2b12a8eee33e66e64f5fe3637b.jpg

Tens of thousands of New Zealanders have been shaken by a 6.1 magnitude earthquake centred near Wellington tonight - and described by residents as “massive” and “scary”.

The quake started with a large jolt followed by at least 30 seconds of moderate shaking

GeoNet says the quake took place at 7.38pm around 50km northwest of Paraparaumu at a depth of 48km. It classed the shaking as strong.

By 8.00pm, more than 60,000 people in both the North and South Islands reported feeling the quake, including in Auckland and Christchurch. One resident of the Garden City described it as a rolling sensation as opposed to “jolty”.https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/magnitude-60-earthquake-felt-in-wellington/65IK6BHLOBB45C7TGWKZTUUOTI/

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Update:

UPDATE—Tens of Thousands Affected by Devastating Earthquake in Turkey

JW.org - Friday 17 February 2023

Effect on Our Brothers and Sisters in Turkey

• Sadly, 1 elderly sister in the city of Adana was killed. Additionally, a brother, his wife, and their two minor children were killed in the city of Adiyaman
  • 3 homes were destroyed
  • 17 homes sustained major damage
  • 22 homes sustained minor damage
  • 1 Kingdom Hall sustained major damage
  • 2 Kingdom Halls sustained minor damage

Relief Efforts

• Responsible brothers are providing much-needed spiritual assistance to those affected by the disaster
  • 2 Disaster Relief Committees have been appointed to oversee relief efforts

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/turkey/UPDATE-Tens-of-Thousands-Affected-by-Devastating-Earthquake-in-Turkey/

Edited by Parale

2 hours ago, TheKid23 said:

We had an earthquake here in south wales early this morning, it was pretty scary but not nearly as bad as what they  had in turkey. https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/live-midnight-earthquake-shakes-south-26329331

I saw that! Incredible! We used to live in Worcestershire, I never thought we'd see earthquakes in Britain! 

Here in New Zealand we never seem to quite stop shaking 😅

3 hours ago, TheKid23 said:

We had an earthquake here in south wales early this morning, it was pretty scary but not nearly as bad as what they  had in turkey. https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/live-midnight-earthquake-shakes-south-26329331

My brother lives in Pontrydfen, about 30 miles as the crow flies from Abertillery, so they may have felt it.  Waiting to hear back from him. 

Actually, the white house you can see at the end of this former aqueduct is his house.  It's such a beautiful spot.

Across a former aqueduct in Pontrhydyfen © Jaggery ...

Apologies for being off topic a bit. 😬❤️

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

2 hours ago, Pabo said:

I haven't heard or found any news of an earthquake in New South Wales, Australia.

Unless it was my wife kicking me out of bed due to my snoring. :snoring:

I saw it on You Tube under Sky News.

'The whole house shook' - Earthquake felt in South Wales

it was posted 2 days ago.  Must have been very small, but it was an earthquake according to the news. 

53 minutes ago, Allabord4Jah said:

I saw it on You Tube under Sky News.

'The whole house shook' - Earthquake felt in South Wales

it was posted 2 days ago.  Must have been very small, but it was an earthquake according to the news. 

That was in Wales in the United Kingdom.  Different to NSW Australia.

This was commented on a couple of days ago.

https://jwtalk.net/topic/54212-earthquakes-in-one-place-after-another/?do=findComment&comment=918158

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

This quake may have been big and shallow enough to cause a tsunami. :(

Screenshot_20230404_193653.thumb.jpg.fd6838363bd39904bbd764127bf57a58.jpg

No tsunami alert uuuf!!

60209FD5-5D0C-4D82-939C-29DF49C8D8E2.jpeg

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/4-4-magnitude-quake-in-lake-county/

Magnitude 4.4 quake strikes in Lake County, several smaller quakes follow

The epicenter of the first quake, which struck at about 10:40 p.m., was about 16 miles north-northeast of Healdsburg and just under 5 miles west-northwest from the tiny Lake County town of Cobb, officials said.

Looks like a 7.0 in Indonesia area struck. 

Screenshot_20230414-071302_kindlephoto-75787660.png

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible