JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Earthquakes In One Place After Another...

Death toll rises to more than 11,200

We now believe more than 11,200 people have died following a massive earthquake that struck Turkey and Syria on Monday.

Turkish officials say 8,574 people have died in the country.

It's difficult to get figures from Syria, but we understand the number of confirmed deaths so far is 2,662.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/64533954

31 minutes ago, JennyM said:

I saw video footages and I am in tears to see children died or rescued in the rubble. 

I cant bear people suffer but theyre part/signs of the last days. 

It's so distressing to see that kind of things in this system .. It's heartbreaking so much ..

(Nakakapanlumo makita ang ganyang mga bagay sa sistemang 'to .. Talagang nakakadurog ng puso)

That's why, I eagerly praying to Jehovah to endure all this things that I have seen in this world .. 

(Kaya talagang taimtim kong ipinapanalangin kay Jehovah na matiis at makayanan ko yung mga bagay na nakikita ko sa mundo ngayon)

It's so hard .. Although we understand that it is part of the "sign" but still, we feel heartbreaking .. We need to always pray to Jehovah to have patience .. 

We don't know, but, what if one day, it will happen to us? 

We need to stay close to Jehovah, my dear sister, let's pray it to Jehovah so that he'll help us to endure all this things ...

🙏🙏🙏

It’s getting harder to find people alive as do much time has elapsed without food and water and in sub zero temperatures. I read that even doctors are saying that because of the sheer volume of the survivors arriving at hospital, (~500 a day) they couldn’t deal with the amount of operations needed so some were perishing mere hours after being rescued due to the trauma, blood loss, crush injuries etc. I can’t even imagine. At least we know our brothers and sisters are being looked after by the DRC’s. That gives me some comfort. 

10 hours ago, jrnievas said:

It's so distressing to see that kind of things in this system .. It's heartbreaking so much ..

(Nakakapanlumo makita ang ganyang mga bagay sa sistemang 'to .. Talagang nakakadurog ng puso)

That's why, I eagerly praying to Jehovah to endure all this things that I have seen in this world .. 

(Kaya talagang taimtim kong ipinapanalangin kay Jehovah na matiis at makayanan ko yung mga bagay na nakikita ko sa mundo ngayon)

It's so hard .. Although we understand that it is part of the "sign" but still, we feel heartbreaking .. We need to always pray to Jehovah to have patience .. 

We don't know, but, what if one day, it will happen to us? 

We need to stay close to Jehovah, my dear sister, let's pray it to Jehovah so that he'll help us to endure all this things ...

🙏🙏🙏

Thanks @jrnievas. Its tempting but I dont want to watch the news about victims of earthquake in Turkey anymore. They especially focus children under the rubble. 😥

Rather, Id like to focus in the hope of God's Kingdom.   We are at the end of the last days. We are at the last of the last days. Soon these things will pass.  

18 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

But there are literally miracles too - the new born baby still attached by the unbiblical cord found between the mother legs. Unfortunately the rest of the family perished.

The baby would have died too within the hour had she not been rescued in time.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/this-newborn-baby-was-rescued-from-a-collapsed-building-in-syria-she-is-the-sole-survivor-of-her-family/5v5msch43

I will like to hear more of these miracles,the distressing scenes are affecting me disturbingly.

19 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

The baby would have died too within the hour had she not been rescued in time.

Spoiler

image.png.e87cfb516f13addb152c86329bcc4a20.png

Inside an incubator in the hospital in Afrin, the newborn was hooked to an intravenous drip, her body scarred, and a bandage wrapped around her left fist. Her forehead and fingers were still blue from the biting cold as paediatrician Hani Maarouf monitored her vitals. "She is now stable," Maarouf said but noted that she had arrived in bad condition. "She had several bruises and lacerations over all her body," he told AFP. "She also arrived with hypothermia because of the harsh cold. We had to warm her up and administer calcium."

Sis Lucy,

So beautiful, before I read this post!  I was discussing this with my husband, and he too was amazed with the survival of this young infant from it's mothers womb - you can see how touching this was for the rescuers and how gingerly they held the infant and the look of joy and wonderment on their faces!!!  

Edited by Tia

31 minutes ago, cme said:

Anyone having trouble logging into JW.Org?

No. Not in Cleveland Ohio area. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

On 2/7/2023 at 11:45 AM, Loyal said:

On tv said that , the estimate is that by the end of the week rise to at least 20 thousand dead victims of the earthquake 

Death toll increases to more than 19,300    ...BBC.co.uk

.....and still a few days until the end of the week....

Edited by Bluebell

Earthquakes dont kill buildings are. 

Is it because of poor buildings?

Will it be safer if houses are made of woods?

Im not a geologist but it seems that earthquakes are natural occurence, considering the make up of the earth. 

Its all about mismanagement. Earthquakes study and warnings, build wooden houses instead of apartment bldgs. 

8 hours ago, JennyM said:

Im not a geologist but it seems that earthquakes are natural occurence, considering the make up of the earth. 

Its all about mismanagement. Earthquakes study and warnings, build wooden houses instead of apartment bldgs. 

Take your conclusions, dear sister

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tylerroush/2023/02/11/turkey-syria-earthquake-death-toll-approaches-30000-and-over-100-detained-as-government-targets-building-contractors/amp/

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

8 hours ago, JennyM said:

In the NW, the tonic plates will always move. Will we call these earthquakes? No matter what buildings and houses are made of, earthquakes  we see today will not happen in the NW.

2 hours ago, Sofia said:

Yup. Its the building that kills. 

So those contractors are bloodguilty. Before you construct a house, they should consider fault lines in the area. 

1 hour ago, Dustparticle said:

In the NW, the tonic plates will always move. Will we call these earthquakes? No matter what buildings and houses are made of, earthquakes  we see today will not happen in the NW.

Tectonic plates would always move In the NW because the  inner core of earth is too hot? Possibly but it wont be that strong  because the ecosystem will be more balanced. I heard or read somewhere that earth has strong earthquakes due to climate change too. 

3 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

You kinda threw me for a second there. You said "in the NW the tectonic plates will always move" . In my neck of the woods NW means North West....like northern California to Vancouver Canada...so I had to do a mental check.....maybe we could go with NS because we all know there's no such thing as North South 😅😅

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

12 hours ago, JennyM said:

I was disgusted with an article I was reading a couple of days ago regarding the buildings in Turkey.  I know we shouldn't be surprised at anything anyone does in this system, but the greed and the moral decrepitude still manages to shock me.

Turkey earthquake: Why did so many buildings collapse?

Although the quakes were powerful, experts say properly constructed buildings should have been able to stay standing.

"The maximum intensity for this earthquake was violent but not necessarily enough to bring well constructed buildings down," says Prof David Alexander, an expert in emergency planning and management at University College London.

Construction regulations have been tightened following previous disasters, including a 1999 earthquake around the city of Izmit, in the north-west of the country, in which 17,000 people died.

But the laws, including the latest standards set in 2018, have been poorly enforced.

In Turkey, however, the government has provided periodic "construction amnesties" - effectively legal exemptions for the payment of a fee, for structures built without the required safety certificates. These have been passed since the 1960s (with the latest in 2018).

Up to 75,000 buildings across the affected earthquake zone in southern Turkey have been given construction amnesties,.......

Just a few days before the latest disaster, Turkish media reported that a new draft law is awaiting parliamentary approval which would grant a further amnesty for recent construction work.

Geologist Celal Sengor said earlier this year that passing such construction amnesties in a country riven by fault lines amounts to a "crime".

https://www.bbc.com/news/64568826

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Tectonic movements are what churns the oceans and gives life. Jehovah has created everything in balance, with natural cycles that cleverly interplay without causing harm. Until humans get involved.

Without plate tectonics, the earth would die. But the real source of the destruction caused by earthquakes is flimsy buildings in densely populated  regions. Turkey exemplifies what happens when governments can’t provide adequately for its people - corruption and poverty decides the outcome. But even better managed economies have built in inappropriate regions. New Zealand and Japan build very high quality buildings, but these can’t withstand the forces of big earthquakes.

Isn’t it showing us that only a government run by Jehovah, with Jesus having the power to control the elements, is the only solution? Humans are just not up to the task, proving false the devil’s claims they they can rule themselves. This is the proof.

Earthquakes are fulfillments of prophecies, it is one of the identities, that the Kingdom of God is near 

When God’s Kingdom rules over the earth, God will prevent natural disasters, including earthquakes, from harming people. (Isaiah 32:18) What is more, he will undo the physical and emotional harm caused by today’s earthquakes. (Isaiah 65:17; Revelation 21:3, 4) 

@GeordieGirl Yes. World leaders are all bloodguilty. They dont really take care of their subjects. 

I read from Watchtower . I dont recall what year and page. .. It says "World leaders that let a child died in hunger will be accountable to Jehovah."  And Id like to add that each child or each person that died because of sub standards construction,  and health system will be accountable to Jehovah too.