JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #2

2 hours ago, DarinS said:

There is an older article that says Denim or jeans do not belong at the Kingdom Hall…..

keep in mind it is an old article - but havent seen a change

and its listed as not to be worn to Bethel in the Visual pictures provided to each cong and posted in many KHs

At least not at meetings. We just had our maintenance day and I wasn't the only Sister wearing jeans. Work clothes are for working.

Edited by LeolaRootStew

We had some sisters show up with pants and long matching coat/like sweaters or jackets to go with it.   It looked like a fashion show.  I was truly impressed by the beauty and classy yet, quiet colors and such good taste.  Very impressive yet, dignified.

One brother showed up with a "Hawiian shirt, short sleeved.  Ummmm.....we had the visit of CO and he talked about the the Update 2 announcement and, said that we still should dress modestly and in good taste.

He looked at the brother that was wearing the Hawiian shirt and then looked else where.  Needless, to say 2 elders approached him after the meeting and mentioned that perhaps this was "over the top".

It actually was.  I  was surprised because, I always thought this brother more spiritual conscience or a brother that would think things through.

6 minutes ago, cme said:

We had some sisters show up with pants and long matching coat/like sweaters or jackets to go with it.   It looked like a fashion show.  I was truly impressed by the beauty and classy yet, quiet colors and such good taste.  Very impressive yet, dignified.

One brother showed up with a "Hawiian shirt, short sleeved.  Ummmm.....we had the visit of CO and he talked about the the Update 2 announcement and, said that we still should dress modestly and in good taste.

He looked at the brother that was wearing the Hawiian shirt and then looked else where.  Needless, to say 2 elders approached him after the meeting and mentioned that perhaps this was "over the top".

It actually was.  I  was surprised because, I always thought this brother more spiritual conscience or a brother that would think things through.

Maybe the brother wanted to go to a meeting in Hawaii 😁

image.png.26258472e6d1ee785c6901c658809e8a.png

Edited by luisenriquereyes

12 hours ago, Stormswift said:

I agree, but like I added ... they should be explaining to their spouse why they were disfellowshipped and not allowing those who did nothing take the fall instead.  I really hope my daughter can say to her husband .... this why, and I need to fix it. Now we can make that path just a wee bit smoother for her and others.

That’s why I said I would understand if I were the unbelieving mate and it was explained to me that she was being disciplined for committing a serious sin. Of course, disfellowshipped ones should explain why they are being disciplined and the proper steps to come back.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

Had our first meeting since the announcement. I saw 2 elders who didn’t wear ties. I only spotted one sister in my congregation that wore pants. As I was pulling up to the Hall, I did see a sister from the neighboring congregation coming back from service. She had on pants 😊 

I assume many sisters in my congregation may not have dress pants and will wear them once they shop for some. 

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

So the brother that took the group had that same question today - did he need to wear his tie while conducting the meeting. We were at the hall - so he erred on the side of caution.

But what about when we meet in the territory? Surely it means no tie required? And if that’s the case, then surely the same applies for groups meeting at the hall?
The brother who conducted our meeting from the stage did not wear a tie or jacket. It's funny because I thought he'd be the last one to adopt the new change.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, lesage NM said:

Is there any discussion on the new governing body update 2024 talking about sisters and trousers, Greetings to disfellowshipped etc ?

Isn't that what we are doing? Maybe I don't understand your comment. Could you clarify please?

"Laughter cannot mask a heavy heart. When the laughter ends, the grief remains."-Proverbs 14:13 Living Bible Translation

45 minutes ago, Capablewife said:

The brother who conducted our meeting from the stage did not wear a tie or jacket. It's funny because I thought he'd be the last one to adopt the new change. emoji16.png

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Huh....when on the platform ALL brothers must wear a tie and suit.  He has to review the Announcement 2 again.

4 minutes ago, cme said:

Huh....when on the platform ALL brothers must wear a tie and suit.  He has to review the Announcement 2 again.

They are talking about Field Service meetings. If they don't have to wear a tie out in service, why would they be required to wear one while organizing it?

Also, jackets and ties are not "required", it's cultural.

When a brother has a part on the program, he should wear a tie and a jacket if that is the standard of dress in that land. Of course, some brothers may choose to wear a tie or a jacket even when they do not have a part on the program.

1 minute ago, LeolaRootStew said:

When a brother has a part on the program

Is the meeting for service part of a program? I would say no. It's a meeting for service, that if there are no brothers present a sister could conduct. I have been out in service with the Circuit Overseer where he conducted the meeting with no suit jacket. What happens if the brother scheduled cannot make it and the only brothers there have no suits, ties? These adjustments require reasonableness. 

"Laughter cannot mask a heavy heart. When the laughter ends, the grief remains."-Proverbs 14:13 Living Bible Translation

7 hours ago, cme said:

Both my husband and I will continue our normal formal wear.  That's our preference.  However, its good to know that either because of heat or cold inclement weather, we can change up some things and not feel bad about it, as long as Jehovah has given us the permission

I think we will probably do the same.  Dress according to weather etc.  

5 hours ago, DarinS said:

Take a picture - i have about 100 - used for work - service - public teaching secular - teaching @ meetings 

still common here in the business world as an fashionable expression 

and most appointed will still wear @ meetings - since we all need to be prepared to help with parts

and the 8-10 brothers with non-teaching assignments/duties

So, you’re going to wear (and not carry) a tie to the Weekend Meeting due to the slight chance that you might be asked to step in as a reader? (Chairman stand-in would be known before getting to the meeting). And you’re going to make 8-10 other brothers who are doing A/V at the back, roving mics, etc (ie not parts on the program) wear ties as well?

The tie change, more than the beard change, gives us brothers an opportunity to make others more comfortable attending our meetings. A while ago, a sister told me that her unbelieving husband could not understand why he had to buy ties (plural) and wear them, just to attend a meeting at the hall. He did it, but didn’t like doing it. He was most likely not the only one…

9 hours ago, Mike047 said:

I guess many of us older ones,  who are very routine based and follow typical dress codes of our generation, are likely to carry on with our more formal dress and still wear jacket and tie

I am by no means trying to push my viewpoint on anyone else, but the above quote is the feeling my wife and I share.

In the English language there is the term, to DRESS UP, that is, to dress nicer, and try to look more dignified than we would when out shopping, or perhaps having lunch with a friend. And to us, to dress up when attending meetings means a dress shirt, tie and jacket for me, and a dress for my wife. To us, it is simply a way to show Jehovah and others that we think the meetings are truly special and valued by us.

I forgot to mention this, but this may help some.

Mark Sanderson did a SKE Graduation in England on 14 January. He did not have a beard then. Evidenced by photos I have seen.

2 weeks later, Mark Sanderson did a SKE Graduation in Ireland. Then some facial hair was showing.

What we saw in the update is the latest in the past 7-8 weeks. When the GB move fast, they move!

1 hour ago, LeolaRootStew said:

They are talking about Field Service meetings. If they don't have to wear a tie out in service, why would they be required to wear one while organizing it?

Also, jackets and ties are not "required", it's cultural.

When a brother has a part on the program, he should wear a tie and a jacket if that is the standard of dress in that land. Of course, some brothers may choose to wear a tie or a jacket even when they do not have a part on the program.

My bad. Sorry.

A few sisters, pioneers included, looked absolutely stunning at the circuit assembly today in their suit pants. One told me she normally wears the outfit to work, and she looked amazing and professional. She said she had talked to other sisters and they said they sort of made a pact to wear it at the assembly today. lol A few brothers, both young and old, had either their ties off, or at least loose on the neck with their ties hanging down.

Two different sisters I talked to who didn’t know about the update I explained it to, their hearts were beating out of their chest with the biggest smile radiating a combination of shock and sheer joy. 

- Read the Bible daily 

Phil.2:5

“Who do you think put that idea in their head?“ - D. Splane Video