JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #3

Go to solution Solved by Lance,

2 hours ago, Kwabena said:

Is it a purely religious think or a cultural thing?

The wearing of a yarmulke or kippah started with the Talmud, not the Torah. The Talmud is a record of the rabbinic debates in the 2nd-5th century on the teachings of the Torah, both trying to understand how they apply and seeking answers for the situations they themselves were encountering. 

Not all Jews wear a kippah. When visiting a Jewish synagogue it's considered polite to wear one if you are a male. Since most of us will not be going to a synagogue we can eliminate that option. That leaves us to the Jews who still consider themselves under the Law. Jesus fulfilled the Law, so we are no longer under Law. 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

A beard nor mustache works for me. 40 years ago I had a blonde mustache, but hated it getting frozen when 40 below.

Now I get a rash at corners of my mouth and on chin if I try to grow anything for more than 3 days.👨‍🦰👴

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

1 minute ago, TJ86 said:

I wouldn’t want the number of meetings to decrease. It’s our boost of enthusiasm.

🥺Nor would I want to... unless it becomes difficult, given the growing insecurity, to leave the Kingdom Hall late at night, especially in large cities where public transportation is available.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, RedRob said:

As a parent, I would appreciate it. 

Appreciate the reduction in meetings, you mean? I too would prefer a midweek meeting held only on zoom for just about an hour or an hour and 15 minutes. Maybe just a consideration of the Treasures part, Living As Christians and the CBS. The student demonstrations part can be coordinated at meetings for field service or on the weekend. 

Edited by truce

1 hour ago, Dages said:

videos

I have videos

but Portuguese only 

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

31 minutes ago, trottigy said:

As all of this is just speculation, we need to wait for the actual update.

Let's leave it to that, eh.

When the gap between those taking the lead making changes and the reason behind them is large or unclear to us it becomes very tempting to want to bridge that gap. Therefore any attempt to discover the reasoning behind the change including the gap itself can come across largely conspiritorial. You can start to gamble doctrinally with the downside being much worse than the upside. The upside if correct is mostly positive-it puts you ahead of others (which is a bit lonely). If wrong this can lead one from initially feeling empowered to becoming cynical. This can cause division between close friends who may start to consider each other as enemies. How good it is to heed the Bible's advice to be patient - James 5:8.

13 minutes ago, trottigy said:

I put a hold on this topic for a few minutes ...

Our fourm policy says this at Section D - 6:

What followed was a quote form that article specific to not being dogmatic about what is to come in the New World. The moderators do try and watch the conversations and keep them from going into "dogmatic" territory AND we appreciate all of you who help us do the same!

BUT.. That article has other points we also want to follow - this is from paragraph 11 & 12:

The key point here is, "some in the congregation who failed to control their tongue and got involved in quibbling debates about words. (1 Timothy 2:8)".

I hid all the posts where some have discussed one of those "words". 

Please, let's not continue that line of ideas. IF the slave is to make a change, it is best to wait on them to make it and NOT run ahead!. AND if they don't, then we follow THEIR lead not our own.

Thank you for understanding.

Thank you so much brother for keeping the conversation properly moderated.

"For love is as strong as death is." - Song of Solomon 8:6

JWPUBS

3 hours ago, trottigy said:

Consider yet another possible source of harmful ideas. While not intending to teach falsehoods, a dedicated Christian can develop the habit of speaking thoughtlessly. (Proverbs 12:18) Because of our imperfect nature, all of us will at times transgress with our tongue.

Thank you for this timely reminder. 🙂

10 hours ago, trottigy said:

I put a hold on this topic for a few minutes .

We are back open.

Enjoy :wave:

10 hours ago, trottigy said:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LeolaRootStew said:

That guy was a red flag from the start - I'm glad you guys are on top of things. 💜

Cat Hug GIF by RETROFUNK

Honestly, I thought I was the only one feeling it right from the start. That's why I just observed and didn't say anything. And patiently waited for someone to properly deal with this.  😬

Edited by gusdn1

"For love is as strong as death is." - Song of Solomon 8:6

JWPUBS

Posted (edited)

We really do appreciate everyone’s attentiveness… we try not to be too nitpicky … since we have many who use google translate and theocratic terms don’t always come out in an appropriate way, also we have varying degrees of spiritual maturity since our minimum requirement is to be a publisher of the good news in their congregation. That being said a skunk always has a certain look and smell… it is often not new ones that have stylized  colouring and or an odoriferous bouquet .🙊🙈🙉

Edited by Lance

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.