JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Forum

On 7/10/2018 at 8:47 PM, Katty said:

... computers that is?

What kind of programming do you do?

What language(s) do you work in?

Do you think you'd be interested in joining a discord server? If so you can dm me to let me know. If you're not familiar with discord, it's like Skype, but has better privacy and is geared well towards discussion groups. 

Idk about you guys but I feel that a group setting would benefit me, but I don't want to get too involved in association with people in the world or who are not spiritual minded.

As for me, my chief interest is web development, although I'm also interested in apps.

I'm primarily working in that crazy language known as JavaScript, but I'm also learning c/c++ so that I don't get to thinking that JavaScript is normal XD.

I know some Java/JavaFX, but it's so bloated. In the future, I'd also like to learn lisp/clojure.

In the new world, Jehovah’s spirit may well enhance your programming abilities in a completely different but more advanced direction that we could not possibly conceive at this time....remember Bezalel and Oholiab, Jehovah didn’t use the skills gained in Egypt, he had better ones !   But first we need to get there.

OK - for the answer to Martin's question ....

Spoiler
Spoiler

Simply ask either one of them

Spoiler

what the other would say

Spoiler

and

Spoiler

do the opposite!

On 7/12/2018 at 3:53 PM, Sylv said:

I believe you need to be... a very logical thinker... in order to be successful as a programmer.

Yes much of programming is essentially problem-solving, and being detail-oriented is also very important (and diligence and patience since doing it as a full time job could be gruelling depending on how heavy your workload).

I've got most of that down pat but I lack the patience and stick-to-it'ness to become more than just a coder in non-programming languages such as HTML and CSS (which I really enjoy tweaking about it).

Also, if you’re part of the smart one generation and always on your phone, and I highly recommend downloading this app which makes learning JavaScript fun (and one-handed!)

iPhone  |  Android

Edited by Brandon

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, jwhess said:

I can't help but smile at Br. Jerry's comment "but that was a long time ago".  Back in the 1980's, I used to program in machine code, DOS batch file assembly, Basic and later just began Visual Basic and then quit the whole idea by the late 1990's.  "but that was a long time ago"....😉

I did my first programming in 1967. My school was in a math competition with 101 other schools. Each school could bring 4 team members and 4 alternates if they wished. There were between 404 and 808 math students.  I was number 19 overall and was invited back and taught something called Gotran, which was supposed to be a simplified Fortran.

I later programmed in Basic, C and C++, I got away from programming because it just seemed useless.  Then, in the 90's I taught myself Assembly Language and did some batch file programming, web page design.  

Programming is really not worthwhile any more because almost anything I can think of to program is already available from someone else. "But," like everyone keeps saying, "that was a long time ago".