JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Translation (2013 revision) in additional languages

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 664 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

3 minutes ago, Vasilis said:

I am surprised that such a widely used language took so long to finish.

While Greek which is barely spoken at all in the world was done in 2017.

It's because each country has their own language variation. Some words that are used in daily conversation in one country may be highly offensive or mean something totally different in others.  

It depends on a number of variables. One is how much the text needed to be reworked. The size of the language is not very important.

The Swedish one was finished in 2016 thanks to a very good source text, and a fine collaboration between 3 translation offices.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Vasilis said:

I think for them this translation was more complicated because of the difference in the language in several countries ... and by the way will not have several versions with the differences, as we have with the version of the Bible in Portuguese of Brazil and the one of Portugal. So I think it took longer to do a translation that was consistent with the Spanish spoken by people around the world, a neutral Spanish to be used in all countries.

Edited by Araujo JW

Those videos are great. I wonder if a letter will be read at all congregations or if that talk will be played this weekend at all Spanish congregations around the world. I’m guessing a letter with the announcement of the revision and a notice that a video will be posted for us to watch. Either way, it’s exciting. The difference is night and day with this revision. So much easier and less words in most verses.

Those videos are great. I wonder if a letter will be read at all congregations or if that talk will be played this weekend at all Spanish congregations around the world. I’m guessing a letter with the announcement of the revision and a notice that a video will be posted for us to watch. Either way, it’s exciting. The difference is night and day with this revision. So much easier and less words in most verses.
A letter will be read this weekend. The talk Is not going to be played. " The release talk has been posted on JW Broadcasting in Spanish so that all can share in the joy of this historic event. To access it, go to VIDEO ON DEMAND > PROGRAMS AND EVENTS > SPECIAL PROGRAM. After Monday, July 22, 2019, the bible it can be accessed on jw.org by going to PUBLICATIONS > ONLINE BIBLE. It will also be available in JW Library at that time."

Enviado desde mi ZUK Z2131 mediante Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, Jf800 said:

A letter will be read this weekend. The talk Is not going to be played. " The release talk has been posted on JW Broadcasting in Spanish so that all can share in the joy of this historic event. To access it, go to VIDEO ON DEMAND > PROGRAMS AND EVENTS > SPECIAL PROGRAM. After Monday, July 22, 2019, the bible it can be accessed on jw.org by going to PUBLICATIONS > ONLINE BIBLE. It will also be available in JW Library at that time."

Thank you so much! That talk will certainly be a part of my family worship this coming week. Time to get used to some of the new terminology. I’ve been reading parts of it today and making comparisons and the difference is night and day. Jehovah and slave gave us exactly what we needed. I’m grateful to have it. Can’t wait for the hard copies to arrive. 

The Christian Greek Scriptures was released in Icelandic today @ the Copenhagen IC! Joy all around!!!

This is big. They have never had the nwt at all. They are only about 390 publishers, but their RTO is very efficient.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

9 hours ago, booboo said:

Any mention of a large print size being available for order?

Today has been a very exciting day. When the brother said they had a special video by brother Lösch with something about God's Word in the title, everybody was jumping and clapping. :lol:

It was funny because it was a recorded video in which brother Lösch presents the new Bible. Then, when after the video ended, brother Lösch was there in person with a Bible in his hand. :lol: He went down from the scene and went around the platform showing us the new Bible while the whole audience was carried away, and the poor brother with the camera was after him trying to record it. It was hilarious and very thrilling. :lol:

The brother explained that they are printing millions of Bible in Spanish but they weren't ready in time for the convention, that we will receive them soon. He didn't say anything about large print but I guess if it's exists in English there will be one in Spanish too. On the other hand, if you use an electronic device you can enlarge to your preferred size. :)

7 hours ago, Araujo JW said:

For those who speak Spanish, one question: Is this translation in a neutral Spanish for all countries or will there be future releases in the language variations?

Yes, there is only one version in Spanish. The brothers have made a wonderful job to produce a text that is easy to understand and natural for all Spanish-speakers. I guess that's the reason why it took so long. While other languages spoken by a limited number of speakers don't have many variants, there are many different variants of Spanish and it was very hard to find a text that sounds natural for all. By the way, brother Lösch said there are around 2.5 millions of publishers who speak Spanish. Wow!

5 hours ago, Hun said:

Judging by the comparison of John 17:3 in the old and new NWT, there is a big difference. The new translation is shorter and simpler. Even I can see the great improvement. 

Yes, the new version is much murch easier to understand. It removes a lot of verbosity and the points are now clear. And it gets rid of a lot of old words that nobody understands anymore. As a brother said today, it doesn't sound as someone from the 1st century speaking but as an average person today. :)

He didn't say anything about large print but I guess if it's exists in English there will be one in Spanish too.

Yes, there Will ve.
"Please note that requests for large-size and pocket-size Bibles may not be filled for several months as priority is given to providing regular-size Bibles"

I believe I heard Brother Splane say once that Spanish is the largest language field in the organization today. 2.5 million publishers out of somewhere around 8.5 million total is a lot. Making one edition for all the Spanish variants is incredible. That’s probably why it took so long as Carlos said. Happy for our Icelandic brothers to get their first ever NWT. Today has been a great day for Jehovah’s people. 4 ICs and 2 editions of the NWT released.