JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Translation (2013 revision) in additional languages

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 666 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

• 1 month later...

Nwt Bible was released in Swati, Tsonga and Zulu on Sunday. The title of our Tsonga edition is "THE BIBLE- Holy Scriptures of the new world." 

It is easy to read compared to the original one

Romans 1:20 starts this way : "Although we can't see God, his qualities are clearly seen"

In Romans 12:11 Aglow with the spirit was translated as "Be zealous with the help of holy spirit"

Matthew 5:3 as " Happy are those who strive to have a relationship with God".

Luke 11:28 Happy are those hearing the word of God and do what it says

In Genesis 6:15 300 cubits were converted and translated as 134 meters . Exclusive devotion in Exodus 34:14 translated as "worship him (God) only".

Love Jehovah with your life ( for soul).

There are so many wonderful changes I can't relate everything. 

I am happy

Nwt Bible was released in Swati, Tsonga and Zulu on Sunday. The title of our Tsonga edition is "THE BIBLE- Holy Scriptures of the new world." 
Romans 1:20 starts this way : "Although we can't see God, his qualities are clearly seen"
In Romans 12:11 Aglow with the spirit was translated as "Be zealous with the help of holy spirit"
In Genesis 6:15 300 cubits were converted and translated as 134 meters . Exclusive devotion in Exodus 34:14 translated as "worship him (God) only".
I am happy
Congrats with he release of the NWT!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

I am happy

That’s fantastic. Yes, it is common these days to call the translation The Bible—The New World Translation or alike on the front cover.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

8 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Yes, it is common these days to call the translation The Bible—The New World Translation

I like this a lot. I think the old title "New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures" was just a way to distance themselves from Christendom and do things differently. But if it's the Bible, call it the Bible.

12 hours ago, carlos said:

I like this a lot. I think the old title "New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures" was just a way to distance themselves from Christendom and do things differently. But if it's the Bible, call it the Bible.

The Georgian version of the NWT doesn’t say “NWT” on the cover of the Book. It simply says “The Bible”. 

314FD884-B2A9-4EFD-B178-E85AC99CA58D.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Guri said:

The Georgian version of the NWT doesn’t say “NWT” on the cover of the Book. It simply says “The Bible”.

That's not something new. As early as 2010, the Kirundi edition of the New World Translation only had "Bibilya" on the cover ("y'isi nshasha" is only added on the title page)

That's not something new. As early as 2010, the Kirundi edition of the New World Translation only had "Bibilya" on the cover ("y'isi nshasha" is only added on the title page)

Yes, it occurred on some translations before the revision, but that change became more widely used after the revision. Perhaps we’ll see it on an English edition too soon?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

So Happy for you!
I like this example best
from one humble to another humble one : )

In Swedish we conveyed that thought like this:

Matthew 5:3 ”Lyckliga är de som längtar efter att fylla sitt andliga behov, för himmelriket tillhör dem.”

“Happy are those longing to fill their spiritual need, because the kingdom of the havens belongs to them.”

The Norwegian edition says: “Happy are those admitting their spiritual need.”

The Danish edition says: “Happy are those who are clear over their spiritual need.”

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Hi Carlos,

I have read quite a large portion of the Georgian NWT already. I really enjoyed many parts of it but I wouldn’t say the same on some verses though. I found lots if inconsistency of Georgian translation with the English NWT and with the Greek text. 

In Georgian translation there are few interpolations (and omissions) that we cannot find in English NWT  or in Greek text. Its a bit confusing... 
What I like about the NWT in Dutch is that it is clear that the brothers wanted it to be an easy to understand translation. So I also noticed a few major differences in the English and the Dutch one. And now the brothers are revising the Arabic NWT, I noticed the same.

(Although the Arabic one stays a lot closer to the original NWT. Because Arabic is also a Semetic language, and it hasn't changed a lot, the translation can still be quite literal and easy to read at the same time).

One thing we have to remember is that the NWT in other languages is NOT a translation of the English one. It's rather based on it. That's a huge difference. The way of translation is the same as the English one, but it isn't a translation. Otherwise we would get a translation of a translation of a translation etc. This will influence the accuracy of it.

Also: in all these languages it has to be an easy to read Bible. So what is easy to understand in English, isn't necessarily easy in Dutch, Georgean or another language.
When a translation team wants to translate a particular verse in a certain way, they have direct communication with the NWT committee at WHQ. And this communication between WHQ and the translation teams is also visible and accessible for all other teams around the world so they can take advantage of it.

The earlier version of the NWT isn't ready for the trashcan. Because it is as literal as possible, it is a great source personal and in depth study of the Bible.

Oh and by the way:

Monday the Bible books of Ezra and Nehemia were released in the Arabic NWT

The earlier version of the NWT isn't ready for the trashcan. Because it is as literal as possible, it is a great source personal and in depth study of the Bible.

Oh and by the way:

Monday the Bible books of Ezra and Nehemia were released in the Arabic NWT

The literalness of the text of the NW was also its greatest problem. It became redundant in places, and unnecessarily difficult to read, which tended to obscure the meaning at places.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

The literalness of the text of the NW was also its greatest problem. It became redundant in places, and unnecessarily difficult to read, which tended to obscure the meaning at places.
Absolutely! The Dutch one was released in 1963 and the whole translation in 1969. It was a beautiful translation. Especially the archaic way of expressing things

It still helped a lot of people to come into the truth!

Absolutely! The Dutch one was released in 1963 and the whole translation in 1969. It was a beautiful translation. Especially the archaic way of expressing things

It still helped a lot of people to come into the truth!

Indeed, but beauty must not come before readability. Reading and enjoying the text is completely different from reading and truly understanding it. It is only when you truly understand it that it can sink down into your heart.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

22 minutes ago, Sepie93 said:

(Although the Arabic one stays a lot closer to the original NWT. Because Arabic is also a Semetic language, and it hasn't changed a lot, the translation can still be quite literal and easy to read at the same time)....

Monday the Bible books of Ezra and Nehemia were released in the Arabic NWTemoji3060.pngemoji3060.pngemoji3060.png

Yeah, that is the beauty of Arabic. The Hebrew part in Arabic may be even closer to the original than Modern Hebrew, which lost many of its features after it was revived by European Jews last century. 

Thanks for the news about the releases. Do you know if brothers are planning an audio version of the Arabic NWT

Yeah, that is the beauty of Arabic. The Hebrew part in Arabic may be even closer to the original than Modern Hebrew, which lost many of its features after it was revived by European Jews last century. 

Thanks for the news about the releases. Do you know if brothers are planning an audio version of the Arabic NWT

I have no idea. I do know that the brothers are working very VERY hard to translate everything in Arabic and that they are still a little behind.

There is a small difference in the way Arabic is read on our website, since a few weeks. They lean now a little bit more towards the spoken form of Arabic, instead of the very classical way of pronouncing FusHa (MSA).

(For example the number 15 is pronounced in MSA: 5amsata-3asher. Now they pronounce it more in the spoken form: 5amst3ash).

We have to see if this is an indication for more audio files in Arabic, including the Bible.

I have no idea. I do know that the brothers are working very VERY hard to translate everything in Arabic and that they are still a little behind. 
There is a small difference in the way Arabic is read on our website, since a few weeks. They lean now a little bit more towards the spoken form of Arabic, instead of the very classical way of pronouncing FusHa (MSA).

(For example the number 15 is pronounced in MSA: 5amsata-3asher. Now they pronounce it more in the spoken form: 5amst3ash).

We have to see if this is an indication for more audio files in Arabic, including the Bible.

So, you have a classical way of speaking, and a colloquial, is that correct? Is this in addition to the various Arabic dialects?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 7/1/2020 at 10:24 PM, Thesauron said:

So, you have a classical way of speaking, and a colloquial, is that correct? Is this in addition to the various Arabic dialects?

Classical Arabic is the standard written form. Every educated person in any Arabic-speaking country can understand Classical Arabic, and it is used in most publications as well as and in TV programs and movies that are more formal in nature, but nobody actually uses it in daily life.

Then there are lots of Arabic dialects that are used in daily life.

Edited by carlos

I'm sorry, I didnt notice your comment.

But as Carlos said, Arabic has a standard, official form. The problem with this is that nobody really uses it in daily life. (Almost) everyone from the Arabic speaking countries speaks a dialect of Arabic. The standard is based on, but not exactly the same as, the Quranic Arabic.
So, even though standard Arabic is understandable for most, it doesn't touch their hearts like the dialect do.

Just to add to the above posts about Arabic. As has been mentioned, Classical Arabic is what is used in the Quran. It is a very complicated dialect with many archaic words, but still mostly understandable to modern readers. 

About 100 years ago when pan-Arabist nationalism was on the rise, Arabs decided to create a new dialect called Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) based on the Classical Arabic for the purposes of uniting all Arab tribes, who have their own dialects that are not always mutually intelligible. I must say that MSA is not just the standard written form of literary Arabic, but it is a living spoken language used by all educated Arabs in public and official events. The government, the news media, schools, universities etc  all use MSA. 

There is now a new version of MSA emerging called colloquial MSA, which is a mixture of the standard Arabic and dialects. I hear it more often in the media, especially in international informal events and platforms like YouTube where Arabs are trying to come across as educated and reach a wider audience of young people. 

I personally like the Levantine dialect that covers Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel and Palestine. I have not studied it purposefully, but I can mostly understand it, because it is, in my view, the closest to MSA and it sounds nice and soft. Arabic is a beautiful language and it is one of my favourites. :)

Edited by Bek

Six Bibles Released on June 28, 2020

In the midst of the ongoing global health crisis, Jehovah’s Witnesses continue to release the Bible in new languages.

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/global/Six-Bibles-Released-on-June-28-2020/

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”