JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

38 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

The rest were born in hospitals.

How do you know? Were you there at their birth or were you not there at their when they were there.   there there there. Brainnnnn    stutterrrrrrr  :loopy:

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

On 12/8/2018 at 9:48 PM, pnutts said:

Moose are huge creatures. Think of an ugly cow on stilts.

If you hit one with a vehicle - pray your are in a highway semi truck, even then you may get hurt.

Anything smaller and...😬

2 members of the Governing Body were born in Canada, eh!

I think Moose are beautiful.  Does anyone know what they smell like?

32 minutes ago, Naturale said:

I think Moose are beautiful.  Does anyone know what they smell like?

Without antlers they look like ugly cows on stilts.

You haven't almost smashed into one. I did. Moose stopped at edge of highway when it heard my diesel engine - 5 feet from me - I was going 100 kph.

Swampy smell - they love swamps.

8 minutes ago, pnutts said:

Without antlers they look like ugly cows on stilts.

You haven't almost smashed into one. I did. Moose stopped at edge of highway when it heard my diesel engine - 5 feet from me - I was going 100 kph.

Swampy smell - they love swamps.

Maybe people should be more Moose aware and drive slower.  Moose have more rights than cars.

A swampy smell sounds nice.  I love swamps too :)  What do they eat in swamps?

I lived in Maine for 20 years and part of our dirt road was an animal walk. When the mose were walking by, I would just keep a far distance til they were done passing by, even if it made me late. Turtle walk was the same path. Some cars just ran over a turtle or two,. So sad. Yes, we invaded their habitat and I, for one, try to respect that. 

3 hours ago, Naturale said:

Moose have more rights than cars.

Bull moose will attack cars, etc.

A few years ago some guys in a new pickup truck were driving down the road.

They came around a bend and a bull moose attacked. Truck was destroyed before they managed to shoot it.

2037723545_Moosewins.thumb.jpg.2a5c58fde4ae4a8c726d333bab21e6ab.jpg

6 minutes ago, pnutts said:

Bull moose will attack cars, etc.

A few years ago some guys in a new pickup truck were driving down the road.

They came around a bend and a bull moose attacked. Truck was destroyed before they managed to shoot it.

2037723545_Moosewins.thumb.jpg.2a5c58fde4ae4a8c726d333bab21e6ab.jpg

Oh that's dreadful that they they shot it!  

1 hour ago, Naturale said:

Oh that's dreadful that they they shot it!

Not really. It had already destroyed their new truck and would have killed them if not shot.

Up north even brothers kill moose and deer to eat. Same diff as killing a cow for hamburger and roasts and steaks.

40 minutes ago, pnutts said:

Not really. It had already destroyed their new truck and would have killed them if not shot.

Up north even brothers kill moose and deer to eat. Same diff as killing a cow for hamburger and roasts and steaks.

Killing a wild animal is very different to killing a domestic animal raised for food

3 hours ago, Naturale said:

Killing a wild animal is very different to killing a domestic animal raised for food

Not really.

Many brothers don't have the income thus hunting allows them to provide food for their families. To them it is not a sport.

In Canada and the US. Natives hunted wild animals and still do for food. In the far north, groceries are extremely expensive-see pic prices have gone up since then.

In many areas of the world, if you don't hunt, you don't eat.

Now saying that, I am not nor have ever been a hunter.

North costs.jpg

Edited by pnutts

4 hours ago, Naturale said:

How so? I have done both.  Hunting is more enjoyable than forcing a steer into a slaughter booth. They have the same eventuality.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

13 hours ago, pnutts said:

Not really.

Many brothers don't have the income thus hunting allows them to provide food for their families. To them it is not a sport.

In Canada and the US. Natives hunted wild animals and still do for food. In the far north, groceries are extremely expensive-see pic prices have gone up since then.

In many areas of the world, if you don't hunt, you don't eat.

Now saying that, I am not nor have ever been a hunter.

North costs.jpg

Most pulses, lentils and beans are very affordable if it is just about money.

11 hours ago, Old said:

How so? I have done both.  Hunting is more enjoyable than forcing a steer into a slaughter booth. They have the same eventuality.

There are lots of reasons but it is a fact that many animals suffer prolonged, painful deaths when hunters severely injure but fail to kill them.

A British study of deer hunting found that 11 percent of deer killed by hunters died only after being shot two or more times and that some wounded deer suffered for more than 15 minutes before dying.

Hunting also disrupts migration and hibernation patterns and destroys families. 

The fear and the inescapable, earsplitting noises from the gunfire and other commotion that hunters create cause hunted animals to suffer tremendous stress. This severely compromises their routine and their eating habits, making it hard for them to store the fat and energy that they need to survive the winter. Loud noises can also disrupt mating rituals and can cause parent animals to flee their dens and nests, leaving their young vulnerable to natural predators.

All things you say are true, dear sis.  What we don't appreciate is that in lands such as Canada, where humans rely on hunting for food (and not for sport, such as in England and other lands), it is a legitimate way of life.  It is not something we might personally want to do.  I myself can't bring myself to do it.  But they are doing it to supplement their food supply.  Cold climates don't grow vegetables, and incomes can't stretch far enough to afford imported food.  Which is why they basically subsist on fishing or hunting.  It is not something to condemn scripturally, since it has been mentioned in the Bible since the time of Genesis - hunting for skins before the flood, and hunting and fishing for food after the flood. https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002104 and this QFR How should a Christian view hunting and fishing? provides some balance.

And we've had a similar discussion here: https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/38200-recreation-with-guns-usa-thing/?do=findComment&comment=601262

2 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

All things you say are true, dear sis.  What we don't appreciate is that in lands such as Canada, where humans rely on hunting for food (and not for sport, such as in England and other lands), it is a legitimate way of life.  It is not something we might personally want to do.  I myself can't bring myself to do it.  But they are doing it to supplement their food supply.  Cold climates don't grow vegetables, and incomes can't stretch far enough to afford imported food.  Which is why they basically subsist on fishing or hunting.  It is not something to condemn scripturally, since it has been mentioned in the Bible since the time of Genesis - hunting for skins before the flood, and hunting and fishing for food after the flood. https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002104 and this QFR How should a Christian view hunting and fishing? provides some balance.

And we've had a similar discussion here: https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/38200-recreation-with-guns-usa-thing/?do=findComment&comment=601262

Yes I understand if people are desperate and have no food that's one thing but mostly it is because people have a taste for meat and game.  it is a subject that I am better to stay silent on since it upsets me. Roll on the new system I say.

4 hours ago, Naturale said:

Yes I understand if people are desperate and have no food that's one thing but mostly it is because people have a taste for meat and game.  it is a subject that I am better to stay silent on since it upsets me. Roll on the new system I say.

I can understand your feelings as I am not one to go shoot Bambi or Bullwinkle either. I also understand that many areas of the world wild game it much healthier to eat than the meat you buy in the store that is packed full of chemicals and antibiotics. Moose meat is low in fat and high in protein. If you have ever been to a slaughter house you will soon appreciate that a hunter if by far more humane in his kill that the commercial slaughter house. I hate the thought of killing any of Jehovah's creation but as long as meat is on the table I will try to understand why some will try to do what they see is best for their families.

Edited by rocket

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

17 minutes ago, rocket said:

I can understand your feelings as I am not one to go shoot Bambi either. I also understand that many areas of the world wild game it much healthier to eat than the meat you buy in the store that is packed full of chemicals and antibiotics. Moose meat is low in fat and high in protein. If you have ever been to a slaughter house you will soon appreciate that a hunter if by far more humane in his kill that the commercial slaughter house. I hate the thought of killing any of Jehovah's creation but as long as meat is on the table I will try to understand why some will try to do what they see is best for their families.

This only came about because I said how I love Moose.  One day I will kiss one on its big velvety nose:cry:

12 minutes ago, Naturale said:

This only came about because I said how I love Moose.  One day I will kiss one on its big velvety nose:cry:

They are beautiful creatures as are all of Jehovah's creations and I can't see myself ever killing one but I do know first hand that they taste very good. I will however save my kisses for my wife. :lol:

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

7 hours ago, Naturale said:

There are lots of reasons but it is a fact that many animals suffer prolonged, painful deaths when hunters severely injure but fail to kill them.

A British study of deer hunting found that 11 percent of deer killed by hunters died only after being shot two or more times and that some wounded deer suffered for more than 15 minutes before dying.

Hunting also disrupts migration and hibernation patterns and destroys families. 

The fear and the inescapable, earsplitting noises from the gunfire and other commotion that hunters create cause hunted animals to suffer tremendous stress. This severely compromises their routine and their eating habits, making it hard for them to store the fat and energy that they need to survive the winter. Loud noises can also disrupt mating rituals and can cause parent animals to flee their dens and nests, leaving their young vulnerable to natural predators.

For a couple months a year during hunting season?  

The wild animals around here must be messed right up then, The mine & ski hill are always bombing, way more often and louder than gunfire.

Look at how domestic meat is raised, especially chickens, animals don't suffer like that when they're killed by hunters.  Besides more deer getting killed on highways every year than ever get killed by hunters, or game culls from fisheries