JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

I was not able to launch multiple instances of JWL app on my PC at home - I never tried at the Hall (or at home) before you asked .... never saw the need and still cannot see why someone would want/need to.

On our PC at the Hall we usually have the JWL, Edge Browser, File Explorer and OnlyT open at the same time - all displayed at the same time.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

18 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I was not able to launch multiple instances of JWL app on my PC at home - I never tried at the Hall (or at home) before you asked .... never saw the need and still cannot see why someone would want/need to.

On our PC at the Hall we usually have the JWL, Edge Browser, File Explorer and OnlyT open at the same time - all displayed at the same time.

Ok, it's possible I misunderstood the brother, he said he had three windows open. I'll ask him to demonstrate it the next time I see him..:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

15 hours ago, Tortuga said:

The brothers at our KH are discussing replacing the current iMac with a PC so we can use JWL. I'm interested in learning more about how JWL works. One brother that had used JWL at another KH said they would have several windows open at the same time. Are you able to have JWL open in multiple windows?

You can run the JWL on the Mac using WINE. I do on my Mac and it’s rather seamless. Stays updated, as well. Just an option.

If interested, do a search for WineBottler or Wineskin. Either approach will work.

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

2 hours ago, digital_dreamer said:

You can run the JWL on the Mac using WINE. I do on my Mac and it’s rather seamless. Stays updated, as well. Just an option.

If interested, do a search for WineBottler or Wineskin. Either approach will work.

Are you talking about JW Library or Watchtower Library?  I know Watchtower Library can be run on a Mac, but JW Library requires Win10 and the app store.

It doesn't seem like it would matter either way "if" you can get JWL to run on a Mac or not - the recommendation from the Organization is to use a PC - why not just use what we are directed to use.

That way, not only are we following directions - but - we also avoid the need of "compatibility" software to make it work?

8 hours ago, digital_dreamer said:

Thanks for the info, however I'm not involved in the decision, I think they plan to get a PC anyway.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 12/13/2017 at 4:51 PM, Skye said:

What happened? Is anyone experiencing the same with JWL on their iPhone?

1D3C5E96-7CD5-4069-A037-BA17A788FC98.jpeg

D11EFFA8-1577-4BA3-B205-31F802A8AF12.jpeg

I had this happen to our JWL at the Hall on Sunday. We usually play music softly in the background before the meeting starts and for those on the phone hook-up...and there was nothing in the "media" tab. I found all the media in the "download" tab and was able to get the songs for the meeting there.
Then after the meeting, I was going to remove and re-install the app, but it was all there and working fine. I don't know if it was in the middle of updating or something, but without doing anything, after the meeting it was all fine, back to normal and working??

8 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Are you talking about JW Library or Watchtower Library?  I know Watchtower Library can be run on a Mac, but JW Library requires Win10 and the app store.

I’m sorry, brothers. My mistake. I was thinking of the Watchtower Library, not the JWL. Don’t know why I thought you’d use the Watchtower Library at the sound box. :confused:

I’ll go back to my little corner! :zipmouth:

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

It doesn't seem like it would matter either way "if" you can get JWL to run on a Mac or not - the recommendation from the Organization is to use a PC - why not just use what we are directed to use.

That way, not only are we following directions - but - we also avoid the need of "compatibility" software to make it work?

You’re absolutely right. I hadn’t realized that was the recommendation.

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

I'm not sure if the recommendation limits using JW Library on a PC only.

The S144 instructions for using JW Library as the Kingdom Hall media player says in part -

"The following instructions describe how to set up and use JW Library to play media in a Kingdom Hall. Pages 2-5 outline the initial setup process for Kingdom Halls that are equipped with one or more video displays and a computer running Windows 10. (Similar functionality is available for iOS and Android.)"

So the instructions show how to setup and use JW Library on a Win10 PC, but you can also use an iPad or Android device.  In fact, I can see situations where using an Android device might be a preferred setup (cost, touchscreen, easy to setup and maintain etc)  However no Macs, not even big ones. :eat:  We have standards :) 

7 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

A recommendation is not a limit.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

23 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

The S144 instructions for using JW Library as the Kingdom Hall media player says in part -

"The following instructions describe how to set up and use JW Library to play media in a Kingdom Hall. Pages 2-5 outline the initial setup process for Kingdom Halls that are equipped with one or more video displays and a computer running Windows 10. (Similar functionality is available for iOS and Android.)"

So the instructions show how to setup and use JW Library on a Win10 PC, but you can also use an iPad or Android device.  In fact, I can see situations where using an Android device might be a preferred setup (cost, touchscreen, easy to setup and maintain etc)  However no Macs, not even big ones. :eat:  We have standards :) 

Macs are computers and can run Windows 10 :cool:

Yes, a Mac is a computer

However, with all the Apple products used in Bethel, there must be some reason they wrote the JWL for Windows and recommend a PC

When we wrote the original MEPS program many years ago, we had an arrangement with IBM for hardware.  We came out with "diskettes" for the Get-Verse program and they ran on the PC.  So our organization has been with the PC even before there was a "Windows" operating system.

I remember in the 80s asking what OS MEPS is running on and I got, “None!” That was amazing. No APIs. Everything from scratch. Talk about writing to the metal. Of course, at that time, there wasn’t much of a OS to write on top of. There was just the Disk Operating System (DOS) that did very basic system level tasks.

I program microcontrollers (STM32 stuff) in the C language with no OS. That typically means writing your own drivers, APIs, graphics routines, managing time critical interrupts, etc. So, I can just begin to appreciate the amount of work the brothers had to do, like building their own typefaces for the various languages and writing the software to display them. I wouldn’t ever compare anything I’ve done to what they’ve done and accomplished. Plus, they did it to further the kingdom interests. So, miles ahead in the worthiness department.

Sorry for being off-topic. Bad habit of mine.

9 hours ago, Qapla said:

Yes, a Mac is a computer

However, with all the Apple products used in Bethel, there must be some reason they wrote the JWL for Windows and recommend a PC

Apple products in Bethel.  What is the world coming too.  I'm stumbled. :lol1:

(one might get the impression I'm not a fan of Apple).  I'm not too sure about the Mac is a computer statement either.

(one might get the impression I'm not a fan of Apple).  I'm not too sure about the Mac is a computer statement either.

Many departments work with Apple devices to a very large extent.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

17 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Many departments work with Apple devices to a very large extent.

Is that a fact, hearsay or assumption?

11 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Many things are a computer :wink:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/computer

NOUN
1 An electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program.

As mentioned, minor update for iOS is now available. Mainly bug fixes, also fixed a slightly annoying issue for iPhone X users where the icons at the bottom were too close to the ‘swipe up’ bar, which meant you had to be really careful about tapping the right part of the screen to switch between sections of the app. Now the bottom bar of icons is moved slightly further up to alleviate that issue