JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

6 hours ago, Myew said:

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for! :)

It's possible to set it for a limited time too. I will set it to two hours, so I don't have to remember to reactivate the sound after the meeting.

6 hours ago, Qapla said:

My Android tablet has a "Do not disturb" setting that silences all sounds and has a time setting so it turns the sounds back on by itself. I have it set for 3 hours.

I use the android "do not disturb" but it will still play media. Have you tested it? 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

8 hours ago, carlos said:

That's something I dislike about Android. In Windows you simply turn the sound off and you're done. But in Android, setting your device to silence only applies to phone calls and notifications. If you play a movie or a song it will sound, despite it being set to silence. At least it does in both my tablet and phone.

I still haven't found a quick and easy way to disable all sounds in Android. Maybe I'll resort to use some earphones plug as you suggest.

That's weird. I don't have that issue at all.  If I set it to silent, there is no sound on anything, including media. Maybe it's something to do with the actual phone/tablet brand and not Android per se.  Who knows with technology. :nope:

7 hours ago, Qapla said:

My Android tablet has a "Do not disturb" setting that silences all sounds and has a time setting so it turns the sounds back on by itself. I have it set for 3 hours.

What a great idea to use the 'do not disturb' setting at meetings.  I have it pre-set so it's on from 10pm - 7am every night, but I've have never thought to use that setting for meetings. Excellent idea.  Thank you. :thumbsup:

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

27 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

Where do you tap? just got iPhone... hopelessly uneducated in tapping..LOL 

Bring up the Control Panel by swiping up from the very bottom (iOS 11). Touch the “moon” icon to enable/disable the “Do Not Disturb” control.

Note though that sounds from media can still play. It’s just notification sounds that are disabled.

I’ve just gotten into a habit of just turning the sound volume all the way down. I have a habit of doing that with all my devices, as I don’t want them playing through, especially if I can’t hear it and everyone else does! I have profound hearing loss.

In the past, I’ve even taken some of my watches apart to disable the speaker. Nothing like an alarm going off and everybody looking at you funny and you have no idea why. :lol:

Edited by digital_dreamer

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

1 hour ago, GeordieGirl said:

Maybe it's something to do with the actual phone/tablet brand and not Android per se.

I have a Samsung phone and I can still stream on JWL and play media while the DND is on. I also have a newer Samsung tablet and the DND does mute the JWL streaming and media player.

Go figure..:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

14 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I have a Samsung phone and I can still stream on JWL and play media while the DND is on. I also have a newer Samsung tablet and the DND does mute the JWL streaming and media player.

Richard, in my phone, which has stock Android, when you go to Do not disturb, the default option is "Only alarms". That disables phone calls and notifications, but not other sounds. But there is another option that says "Total silence". That silences even the playing of media.

Edited by carlos

I have a few more modification I hope they make:

The ability to download the audio for the books and magazines - instead of just stream them. Then I can listen even when I don't have internet access.

And a widget for the text would be great! 

I use different apps for this, but having it all in this one would be great.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

3 hours ago, trottigy said:

I have a few more modification I hope they make:

The ability to download the audio for the books and magazines - instead of just stream them. Then I can listen even when I don't have internet access.

And a widget for the text would be great! 

I use different apps for this, but having it all in this one would be great.

Sorry, I don’t follow regarding the text widget.

The option to change text styles in our notes? That would be really nice.

Embed links in our notes, especially scriptures, would be helpful.

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

I believe he was referring to the "Daily Text" not the "font" - having this as an app would mean not having to open the WT Library to read or display the day's Text.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 minute ago, Qapla said:

I believe he was referring to the "Daily Text" not the "font" - having this as an app would mean not having to open the WT Library to read or display the day's Text.

Yes, I use a different app (not from the Society) to display the day text - thru a widget. It would be great to have that from a more "official" source.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

On November 23, 2017 at 6:48 PM, carlos said:

I would prefer to have the Play button in the menu rather than visible in the upper bar. A lot of brothers touch it without realizing during the meeting and the article begins to play aloud. It happened to my wife this week, and happens once or twice in every meeting in my congregation.

That happens at least 2 - 3 times at every meeting. Usually someone who panicks, doesn't know how to turn it off, and then has to walk outside and ask for help.

That happens at least 2 - 3 times at every meeting. Usually someone who panicks, doesn't know how to turn it off, and then has to walk outside and ask for help.

Usually the best remedies do not include panicking. Instead, calmly find the command or button to silence your machine, and then calmly realise it can happen to anyone. If you own such a device, and you don’t know how to turn the sound or video, spend some time practicing. Ask more skilled brothers or sisters to help you. Learn basic ways of finding information online, such as googling. Do not be ashamed that you do not know, but take pride in knowing that you are eager to learn.

Any day now...

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

24 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Usually the best remedies do not include panicking. Instead, calmly find the command or button to silence your machine, and then calmly realise it can happen to anyone. If you own such a device, and you don’t know how to turn the sound or video, spend some time practicing. Ask more skilled brothers or sisters to help you. Learn basic ways of finding information online, such as googling. Do not be ashamed that you do not know, but take pride in knowing that you are eager to learn...

Amen, Br. Johan.  And if the problem occurs, and you observe the situation, perhaps you could offer assistance (either then or later).

On 11/26/2017 at 1:12 PM, carlos said:

Richard, in my phone, which has stock Android, when you go to Do not disturb, the default option is "Only alarms". That disables phone calls and notifications, but not other sounds. But there is another option that says "Total silence". That silences even the playing of media.

I turn on "Do Not Disturb" on my Android phone and I find that it doesn't affect the "media" also.  So I use my volume button to bring up the Notifications, Media and System volume bars and I turn all of them down to nothing.  Never a peep from anything!

(The bell, the music note and the alarm clock are the icons for these three bars)

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Our CO is a very "laid-back" kind of guy (from SoCal).  At our Pioneer Day for the last Circuit Assembly, he reminded us to turn the sound down on our "devices".  He said he had to remind us because it was in the instructions provide by the FDS.  Then he said, "As far as I am concerned...I don't care."  Then he reminded us that it will happen to all of us sooner or later and it is no different than a baby crying or some other external distraction.  Don't worry about it.  As my friends the penguins say, "Smile and wave, boys".

8 hours ago, jwhess said:

Our CO is a very "laid-back" kind of guy (from SoCal).  At our Pioneer Day for the last Circuit Assembly, he reminded us to turn the sound down on our "devices".  He said he had to remind us because it was in the instructions provide by the FDS.  Then he said, "As far as I am concerned...I don't care."  Then he reminded us that it will happen to all of us sooner or later and it is no different than a baby crying or some other external distraction.  Don't worry about it.  As my friends the penguins say, "Smile and wave, boys".

Where in SoCal is he from?

9 hours ago, jwhess said:

Our CO is a very "laid-back" kind of guy

Our CO from (DK...figure that LOL :whistling:) is crushing hard on appointed men to be examples in the ministry.

He questioned one brother who is MS and is getting below average hours every month. (single brother working part time)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Where in SoCal is he from?

San Diego.  He is an ex-hippie, volkswagen bus, long-haired surfin' dude (we have pictures!!!).  He is a wonderful brother, truly the 'salt-or-the-Earth'.

We had our annual Pioneer Day school on Halloween week and he and his wife brought us a large bowl of candy for snacks (no lunch provided you know).  He explained the provision by saying that in America it is amazing that if you knock on peoples doors, they will give you the small wrapped candies for free....:D

Edited by jwhess

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:07 AM, trottigy said:

Yes, I use a different app (not from the Society) to display the day text - thru a widget. It would be great to have that from a more "official" source.

I have the day text displayed on the jw.library live tile in Windows 10 / Windowsphone 10

and no problem with the DND too :uhhuh:

Edited by peper-eliot