JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

3 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Study notes are transferred between bibles and languages as well.

Yes, that is something I had discovered. But the highlights would be what I am interested in. I can see how moving the highlights from between the NWT, Rbi8, KIT, KJV, ASV & BY would be difficult(read: impossible). However, transferring from the NWT to the NWTSTY should be simple as the main text (all of the highlight-able text) is exactly the same. 

Besides that, I really have been wanting to use the Highlight feature more extensively in my Bible but can't due to not wanting it to be unsightly while using it in the ministry. For example I've wanted to do a project for some time of coloring the different speakers' lines at the end of revelation to make the reading clearer for personal study. 

Yes, that is something I had discovered. But the highlights would be what I am interested in. I can see how moving the highlights from between the NWT, Rbi8, KIT, KJV, ASV & BY would be difficult(read: impossible). However, transferring from the NWT to the NWTSTY should be simple as the main text (all of the highlight-able text) is exactly the same. 

Besides that, I really have been wanting to use the Highlight feature more extensively in my Bible but can't due to not wanting it to be unsightly while using it in the ministry. For example I've wanted to do a project for some time of coloring the different speakers' lines at the end of revelation to make the reading clearer for personal study. 

Are people bothered by you studying your Bible extensively the way they might also be doing one day?

Any day now...

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

7 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Are people bothered by you studying your Bible extensively the way they might also be doing one day?

I have always wanted to have a clean Bible to present to the householder when I am showing them the word of God. Many today wouldn't care, others think that the Bible must be highly respected and thus kept in good condition. We as witnesses know that a worn and highlighted bible simply means it's getting it's good use and that it's owner highly values what's inside. However many in the world think differently. Also, as bearers of the word of God we want to present God's message in a way that honors him. I do not personally believe that using a "well used" or highlighted bible out in the ministry dishonors God, but I prefer to be cautious out in the ministry as the householder may think so.

Notice, we are encouraged to use a study bible, but also have "copies of the Bible ... that we use in our preaching activity"

g 4/09 p. 25; yb04 p. 9
"Suggestion: Keep a study Bible. Write notes in it. Mark verses that are especially meaningful to you".;

"So be sure to keep a copy of “See the Good Land” with your study Bible and the study aids that you regularly use".

w88 6/15 p. 12 par. 10
we need to keep our personal copies of the Bible ... that we use in our preaching activity, neat and clean. It might bring reproach on Jehovah if we go out witnessing and use a Bible that is badly soiled or unsightly.

A more practical aspect to this would be the fact that I may have done some deep study on some wording of some verse and had to highlight accordingly. Then some time later I prepare a field ministry presentation that uses a verse a few lines below. Now when I'm presenting a scripture to the householder, my finger may be in verse 12, but the HH's eyes are going to be drawn to verse 8 by the bright blue, green and pink marks scattered throughout - thus distracting them from the point. If for some reason I'm trying to avoid talking about a specific subject for a time (such as Trinity or some other deeply held belief) to build a report with them, these highlights may draw them straight to said topic and derail the conversation. 

Having all of your study highlights separated from your preaching bible avoids any such possibilities and allows us a "Study Bible" and a "Preaching Bible" available. 

Edited by 1MKnight

I personally don’t mind. Much because here, locally, householders don’t usually have a problem with it.

I have shown many householders scriptures using my mobile phone, that has many scriptures’ main points highlighted. It’s also helpful as the main point is highlighted, the bit that should stand out. I only use one highlighting color (yellow) though, it looks more cleaner.

Some verses I highlight blue, mostly having to do with little gems that are not so obvious and are usually found with our Digging for Spiritual Gems. These are backed up with a note that includes our understanding/application of the verse.

9 hours ago, youthintheministry23 said:

It’s also helpful as the main point is highlighted, the bit that should stand out.

I totally agree with that. When doing search work (I am in a sign language cong. Thus it's necessary to search for deaf ones in the territory) I share just a  portion of a rather long scripture in Esther, and to make it clearer I like to have that highlighted for myself and for them, to draw their eyes to the right place, and so that I know where to start and stop reading. However, having my other study notes highlighted to possibly distract them from what I'm reading is the main issue. 

Sometimes, though, the highlighted portion of the scripture/sentence is not the point you are wishing to make to the householder. This can create a distraction when presenting the text to the householder. If the whole verse/sentence is highlighted, this isn’t an issue. Additionally, I don’t like giving the householder the impression that I think highly of myself, that I’m trying to impress them. Admittedly, it’s a small point in the larger scheme of things. Plus, it seems to be a matter of how we use highlighting. Some of us, myself included, may be too liberal in our use of it. It starts to look like our WT study, with colors everywhere. :lol:

I find myself redoing the highlighting on occasion, because a different point is being made in my study and I find that new point more interesting or applicable.

Again, this isn’t nearly the issue it used to be with the “dead tree” version. Having underlining and notes added to the margins in ink really created a messy Bible. And, that was only made worst by my lack of artistic skills in penmanship. :wacko:

Edited by digital_dreamer

Removed “file” from text. Drag and drop doesn’t work. Seems to create an uploaded file.

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

2 hours ago, Brother Arellano said:

I noticed on my iPad Air that publications after October 2017 are not available for download. Am I missing something?

Open the JW Library app and look at the home screen.  Put a finger on on the center top of the screen by the Daily Text day (like the word  Sunday, Nov....). Press and hold, then drag the finger downward across the screen (about 1 - 1 1/2 inches).  Hold it there and a small updating circle will show, rotating, at the top of the page.  It might say, "last updated Nov 11, 2917 ar 11:50 pm".  If you hold it for a minute, it should update to the current day.

When you let go, and give it a moment to update, you will find the publication are available to download.....sometimes.

13 hours ago, jwhess said:

Open the JW Library app and look at the home screen.  Put a finger on on the center top of the screen by the Daily Text day (like the word  Sunday, Nov....). Press and hold, then drag the finger downward across the screen (about 1 - 1 1/2 inches).  Hold it there and a small updating circle will show, rotating, at the top of the page.  It might say, "last updated Nov 11, 2917 ar 11:50 pm".  If you hold it for a minute, it should update to the current day.

When you let go, and give it a moment to update, you will find the publication are available to download.....sometimes.

I  actually already tried this. It did not resolve my issue. I also reinstalled the app which did not solve the issue. After much trial and error I stumbled on the solution, which was quite unusual. I went to the publications > Meeting Workbooks and all that showed was 2016 and 2017 up to October. I tried refreshing and nothing happened. Only when I accidentally clicked on the 2016 button did the rest of the publications populate to everything that is currently available. This is what my "Home" tab looked like before the fix. No publications available.

IMG_0005.PNG

I  actually already tried this. It did not resolve my issue. I also reinstalled the app which did not solve the issue. After much trial and error I stumbled on the solution, which was quite unusual. I went to the publications > Meeting Workbooks and all that showed was 2016 and 2017 up to October. I tried refreshing and nothing happened. Only when I accidentally clicked on the 2016 button did the rest of the publications populate to everything that is currently available. This is what my "Home" tab looked like before the fix. No publications available.
IMG_0005.thumb.PNG.7e1cdf3e9ecb42c88a8f4b16bf606e03.PNG

I went to a sister who's tablet had the same problem to try this your trial and error method reluctantly. I went to pub, and to mwb, then clicked 2016, then 2017. Went and updated the homepage. Surprised, all the "WHATS NEW" appeared, and the mwb up to 2018 appeared. I can't believe it myself. The sister was happy too. But I don't also know how to explain what I did and why it worked. Thanks

Pls can you do the same on TV.jw.org, let's see if annual meeting and Gilead grad will appear? Who knows 1:

Sent from my TECNO DP7CPRO using Tapatalk

On 11/15/2017 at 6:02 AM, jwhess said:

Br. Brandon,  I certainly can sympathize with your comment about the expense.  There are a couple of unrelated points I would like to share with you, however.

First is the idea that the printed material (Bible, books, etc) are cheaper or "without cost" to the individual publisher.  We used to charge for our literature including Bibles.  If we still asked for such a contribution and it was based on our previous charge (plus inflation) a $5 deluxe NWT would cost $40-$80.  We did not even have a large, deluxe bible at all.  I think that our brotherhood forgets that we used to donate for the cost of production equal to the actual cost.  Look at any bookstore and see the price of Bibles and religious books.  They are not less than a cheap tablet.  Just because our society chose to let you have a bible for free does not mean it should be "free" to us the end user.  We should be just as motivated in donating for this gift as we were in 1965  or 1992 when we stopped asking.

Second point, about needing digital.  I do not know your position as regards the platform parts you handle, but when reading (at our Midweek Meeting for example) we are supposed to use the latest version of the material (like the KR book).  Have you had a reader using the old paper copy and read aloud things about the Theocratic School or District overseers that are not even in the publication now?  Our elder textbook is constantly updated (even monthly) but no new printed publication has been made for almost 20 years.  Some publication (like the brochure "How Blood and Save Your Life" is ONLY available in digital format.  So I think to recommend JUST using the printed versions of everything would be short-sighted, especially if you are a Pioneer, MS or and elder with parts to prepare.  And even if you are not, it is awkward to be reading the older version in print and trying to follow the reading from the platform in the newer digital format.  Plus, if we really donated, as in the past, we would be giving hundreds of dollars each year for Bibles, Bound Volumes, Insight book sets, magazines, brochures and tracts.  

In addition, we used to have to care for our literature after getting them.  We bought leather briefcases and service bags.  We spent on special covers for our Bibles or had them specially bound (my last one was $65).  So the on-going, upkeep costs were there as well.

Just a thought on the point of view about need and cost.

I will add that having all of the publications with you all the time on the phone or tablet is worth so much to me in my opinion.  If I had to carry around everything I needed to carry out assignments, shepherd and videos, I would have to load it all in a Uhaul.   I absolutely love having all of the current letters as well as the Shepherding book inside the Library app at my disposal at any time.  We had our Kingdom Ministry School for Elders last Saturday, and there were several books, and a bunch of letters and references needed plus the bible.  If I had to bring all that in paper form I would have needed a 6 ft desk to organize everything on.  :)

As far as tablets go, you can get kindle fire tablets for under $70.00 on ebay and they are new. I haven't used one for meetings, but the Wtlib app does work on my little one. The new ones have more ram and up to 32 g of memory. They are faster than my older one. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

A toggle in JWLibrary to hide/show notes and highlighting would be nice for the ministry.

I once found JWLibrary had somehow ‘lost’ lots of the publications and media.

I finally worked out that I had somehow set as default ‘British Sign Language’. :blushing:

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I would prefer to have the Play button in the menu rather than visible in the upper bar. A lot of brothers touch it without realizing during the meeting and the article begins to play aloud. It happened to my wife this week, and happens once or twice in every meeting in my congregation.

3 hours ago, carlos said:

.... the article begins to play aloud. It happened to my wife this week, and happens once or twice in every meeting in my congregation.

I realize the need to silence our devices.  It is a memory thing to try to recall the steps to set the device to silent...but is it turn the volume down?...set to airplane mode?...??other??

I realized that if you find an old set of ear-buds and cut the 3.5mm plug off the cable end, you can just plug it into the earphone jack and ALL sound is removed (as long as the plug is inserted).  No buttons or decisions necessary.  Just silence.  Then pull it out when the meeting is over.

Edited by jwhess

1 minute ago, jwhess said:

I realized that if you find an old set of ear-buds and cut the 3.5mm plug off the cable end, you can just plug it into the earphone jack and ALL sound is removed (as long as the plug is inserted).  No buttons or decisions necessary.  Just silence.  Then pull it out when the meeting is over.

I have contemplated keeping a few of those in my suitpocket...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 11/22/2017 at 4:06 PM, GrumpysWife said:

As far as tablets go, you can get kindle fire tablets for under $70.00 on ebay and they are new. I haven't used one for meetings, but the Wtlib app does work on my little one. The new ones have more ram and up to 32 g of memory. They are faster than my older one. 

My Kindle Fire was returned to me, I leant it out, so I decided to test it out for speed with Wtlib app. Mine is an older one so possibly the newer ones are faster. But I will tell you it was fast. As fast as my Samsung Tab A. I had no problem with using it at all. Just thought I'd let you know. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Anybody else having the update issues with JW Library App on IOS. New iPad restored from backup. Won’t show anything for next year. Even the workbook isn’t available for this week. 

Tried doing the refresh from the homepage and going into the 2016 workbook tab.

1 minute ago, NCC1701 said:

Anybody else having the update issues with JW Library App on IOS. New iPad restored from backup. Won’t show anything for next year. Even the workbook isn’t available for this week. 

Tried doing the refresh from the homepage and going into the 2016 workbook tab.

I keep seeing this issue. I had it on my phone Thursday. I did a fresh install and nothing. Tried what worked before. Still nothing. Then randomly about about 14 hours later all the missing publications just popped in. 

On 11/24/2017 at 4:45 AM, jwhess said:

I realize the need to silence our devices.  It is a memory thing to try to recall the steps to set the device to silent...but is it turn the volume down?...set to airplane mode?...??other??

That's something I dislike about Android. In Windows you simply turn the sound off and you're done. But in Android, setting your device to silence only applies to phone calls and notifications. If you play a movie or a song it will sound, despite it being set to silence. At least it does in both my tablet and phone.

I still haven't found a quick and easy way to disable all sounds in Android. Maybe I'll resort to use some earphones plug as you suggest.

My Android tablet has a "Do not disturb" setting that silences all sounds and has a time setting so it turns the sounds back on by itself. I have it set for 3 hours.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

What John said. https://www.howtogeek.com/260506/how-to-set-automatic-quiet-times-in-android-with-do-no-disturb/

My android phone's touch sensor has been broken for a few months and I've been using a $20 Windows phone. I hate it. It's too small and slow to use JW Library effectively.