JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

On 11/5/2017 at 8:59 AM, TRUTH04 said:

Pls help.

In our congregation, there had been some having issue with there jwlibrary app. The app doesn't show any new thing in "WHAT'S NEW" section of the home page.

Secondly, there MWB is still showing September, while some there's shows only October. There app isn't updating there mwb, although they have the current app update - 9.3....

Any suggestion on how I can help them?

Sent from my TECNO DP7CPRO using Tapatalk

I had similar issues on  my phone which runs on android OS.

I found out that after connecting to the internet and with  jwlibrary app in home view, when I scrolled from the home bar to the daily text  section the app started updating. You will see the updating bar (between the drawn red lines) as in the attached screenshot.  After about 15 minutes the app was updated. I now perform this procedure regularly and I have not had anymore issues with the app. Hope this helps.

Screenshot_2017-11-15-16-31-46_LI.thumb.jpg.94c50f034919c8a337e881246f68ab8c.jpg

10 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

The Research Guide (2017) has been added to JW Library. 

Nice!

I've been wondering about that for a long time and I've mentioned it here in the past. Now  can replace the 2014 RSG that I had...:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Nice!
I've been wondering about that for a long time and I've mentioned it here in the past. Now  can replace the 2014 RSG that I had...

It’s so be found under Publications > Index. Could we expect the regular index to be found there as well in time?

Any day now...

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

It’s so be found under Publications > Index. Could we expect the regular index to be found there as well in time?

Any day now...

I was wondering if this is part of a new Toolbox..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 hours ago, jwhess said:

a deluxe NWT would cost $40-$80.

And $40 is equivalent to more than 2 years of food for a number of our brothers and sisters today.

I don't wish to call anyone naive, but with like 2 billion humans living on less than $2 per day, don't you see how impossible it is to say "I can easily afford a tablet, and I don't see how others cannot."

I can't afford a tablet for example, but I've counted the cost and decided I can afford one smartphone every 3-4 years (but this will soon end, since I get poorer each year as most humans do).  So technically I could just read on a tiny screen, but obviously a book or full size magazine is preferable.

It's important we not use the cost of something in the country we live in and try to compare with other places. For example, in 2014 the cheapest iPad cost $250 USD in the US, but in Brazil it was over $500 USD, and if cost of living was factored in I'd guess it'd probably be even higher.

We many witnesses still struggling to buy enough food, there may come a time when, simply to save money for building costs, etc., those of us in the wealthier countries will have to buy several tablets, and none for our own use!  It's unfortunate but in this age of technology, those who need access to life saving information are the ones who literally cannot afford to obtain it.  And that is one of the main reasons that we cannot stop printing paper literature, unless or until we either have a program to send low cost tablets to the other side of the world where our brothers and sisters struggle to obtain water each day, or, perhaps if every Kingdom Hall has adequate tv screens, it may not be necessary for every member in the audience to be holding his own printed publication in order to have a full share in commenting.

Edited by Brandon

I found out that after connecting to the internet and with  jwlibrary app in home view, when I scrolled from the home bar to the daily text  section the app started updating. You will see the updating bar (between the drawn red lines) as in the attached screenshot.  After about 15 minutes the app was updated. I now perform this procedure regularly and I have not had anymore issues with the app. Hope this helps.

Screenshot_2017-11-15-16-31-46_LI.thumb.jpg.94c50f034919c8a337e881246f68ab8c.jpg
I ve done that before now, dead end.

I ve done that before now, dead end.

11 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

Does anyone have this new feature on an Android device yet?:lol:

Oh yes, but I don't have the Index folder. It shows up the Downloads as Other.

BTW: Sorry for being off topic, I think this thread is about the JWL app and not the publications.

Edited by Tortuga

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

And $40 is equivalent to more than 2 years of food for a number of our brothers and sisters today. ... have a program to send low cost tablets to the other side of the world where our brothers and sisters struggle to obtain water each day, or, perhaps if every Kingdom Hall has adequate tv screens, it may not be necessary for every member in the audience to be holding his own printed publication in order to have a full share in commenting.

This is an ongoing problem that can not be completely solved in this old world. The $40 comment does not change what it really costs to make our Bible (whether we can afford it or not). We are relying on the generosity of other brothers in their donations to make this work.   I empathize with the concern.  In my personal case, I am retired and on a fixed income.  Like others here, I have worries because of little heath insurance and so on.  I am better off than some and not so well off as others. 

I have, in the very room in which I am typing,  4-6 old tablets in very good condition.  I have updated them, put the latest Android OS on them, charged and discharged them and in general checked them out from top to bottom.  But nobody wants them.  They are older and slower.  Four of these units are Nook HD+ 9" tablets with 32 GB Drives and 1 GB RAM.  They have 1900x1200 HD screens with Corning Gorilla Glass and SD card slots.  I will put them on eBay and they will sell for about $20 + shipping (at best).  I bought them new about 3 years ago. I have tried to give them away but to no avail.

Perhaps there are brothers like me in your area and would be willing to pass on this kind of dated electronics to you and others.  Maybe the organization will make a site available for donation or gifting such equipment in the future.  My point is:  it does little good to say that not everyone in your area or economic circumstance can afford to drive a car in service so the brothers should stop using these at Bethel.  We progress forward using whatever tools are available to us individually.  Some preach and teach and study with the use of tablets and automobiles and some do not.  Our organization has always been on the forefront of the distribution of Truth.  We had Br. Russel writing, printing an distributing material.  We had the PhotoDrama motion picture.  We had audio recording on records.  Later we had magnetic tape recordings of books and other material.  We switched to CDs and DVDs in recent times.  Now we are focusing on digital distribution as a convenient and economical method of reaching many people.

Most of us do not have 16mm projectors or slide projectors available anymore.  Many do not have magnetic tape players either.  A good number will soon have no access to CD or DVD players in the near future.  Time marches on.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

And $40 is equivalent to more than 2 years of food for a number of our brothers and sisters today.

I don't wish to call anyone naive, but with like 2 billion humans living on less than $2 per day, don't you see how impossible it is to say "I can easily afford a tablet, and I don't see how others cannot."...

Those that make use of electronic publications are subsidizing the costs of paper publications where they are needed.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I can't see that on my jwlib.

It should be available in the Whats New category, if you download publications in any of the languages it’s currently available in.

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

30 minutes ago, Old said:

Those that make use of electronic publications are subsidizing the costs of paper publications where they are needed.

yes, this exactly!  But the thing is, some in our own congregation might need paper publications, and I feel some well meaning brothers or sisters have taken an unbalanced stance in recent years by trying to 'set up' some in the congregation with their first device, home internet setup, even encouraging them to join facebook in order to "join the digital world."   Perhaps it's not as bad as I think--I certainly have seen it in my own congregation, but maybe it's not the norm--though I have to imagine it is happening in our congregations, probably in other parts of the world too.

Unless we know how many a brother or sister is living on, what their basic food, shelter, expenses are, it really upsets me that some assume they can afford to buy a tablet but just "didn't feel like it," and so they insist on helping them.  But they might just barely be getting by; appearances can be deceiving. Fortunately, I haven't seen any of the elders locally pressuring anyone to buy devices. It's mostly been middle aged brothers and sisters who want to 'help' older ones.  But often when they run into trouble, they are not able to sufficiently problem solve, and so it ends up falling on younger ones/millennials.  I can't count how many older ones have come to me with concerns about their instagram accounts, which they thought they "needed" somehow to communicate with others in the congregation.  It's become such a nuisance, honestly.  Especially since I've never used instagram or facebook. I often end up offering to close their accounts and show them how they can just use something like iMessage, SMS, Telegram, or whatsapp to communicate with their friends.

Technology really has become such a complex lifestyle for many.  In fact, many would do well to only have email for personal correspondence and not give it out to any website, nor sign up to any service, along with just JW Library.  I mean, in large business or non profit organizations, they often lock down devices and hand them out, with device or firmware profiles attached that allow just a few IT people to remotely handle all the security, software updating, etc.  Sometimes I think that would be such a better route to go in congregations!   Imagine an android device custom built around JW Library, that automatically updated itself, can be managed by responsible brothers remotely.  Now that I'd be okay with helping out on.  But I can't handle all these varieties of different setups that all work differently, are tied into different cloud services, each with different limitations.  In fact there is an entire philosophy around use of technology that the Greeks came up with. I read a book about it a few years back. Really had to make me rethink some of my workflows and other uses of the web and internet.

When I visited in Wallkill earlier this year, a brother in the tour group asked the tour guide if printing is being reduced due to the number of publishers with tablets. He said that some publications are being reduced like bound volumes and others of that sort. But the majority of publications are not being cut down.

The reason is that there are still a good number of publishers in poor countries and even in affluent countries that can’t afford tablets and electronic devices. It wouldn’t be fair to them. He added that they are taking measures to not overproduce printed publications. Things like not having printed releases at the conventions anymore are part of that.

Also, when literature servants put orders in, they are told to order only what is necessary and not to have an extreme surplus. This is to take care of those who don’t have access to JW library and jw.org. He said that the GB doesn’t want these ones to feel like they are missing out just because they don’t have a mobile device. Very kind and encouraging comments the tour guide made about this. Shows that the GB is really making sure everyone gets food at the proper time while making sure that they are using funds and supplies in a wise way so that there is no waste and what is printed is actually being used. 

1 hour ago, SUNRAY said:

Does anyone have this new feature on an Android device yet?:lol:

Just showed up today for me. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I got the Research Guide, but not the Index catagory. However under Publications/Downloaded it is listed under OTHER.  It seems the RE uses the downloaded content within the app instead of going to WOL. That leads me to believe we will be getting the Good Land and some other pubs!:D

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

I downloaded the Reasearch Guide from the What's New section on my Android device, but there is not Indes section in Publications.
I downloaded it on my Windows Laptop, and there is an Index section in Publications.

On my android device, the publications in the Ministry section on the Home page has change to another lang that English. The rest of the app stayed English as selected. This did not happen on the laptop.

I saw the same thing in a screenshot of a Home screen higher up in the discussion.

2 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

I got the Research Guide, but not the Index catagory. However under Publications/Downloaded it is listed under OTHER.  It seems the RE uses the downloaded content within the app instead of going to WOL. That leads me to believe we will be getting the Good Land and some other pubs!:D

Maybe, and maybe not.  I've had a Research Guide and Good Land jwpub file for JW Library since 2014.  Don't ask me how.  Also yearbooks 2000-2013 and some others.  Some have been updated and officially released, some have not, not yet.

9 hours ago, jonboy said:

Are we still expecting the study bible on jwlibrary before the end of the year?

Will it just be added like the new research guide or will it require an update to the app?

Thanks for any insight,

jon

The study bible will require an update to the app.  The digital publication file (the jwpub file) for the study bible is can be downloaded, but won't work properly with the current app, so you see it until the app update.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, digital_dreamer said:

It’d be nice to have all or most of the highlighting in your study bible, leaving your non-study version “clean” of the marks for when you read to householders in the ministry.

Yes, I second this. I really am hoping that when the study bible is released there is an option to import your notes and highlights from the RNWT to the Study Edition. Some time ago I realized that my highlights were going to be a problem out in the ministry xD 

Yes, I second this. I really am hoping that when the study bible is released there is an option to import your notes and highlights from the RNWT to the Study Edition. Some time ago I realized that my highlights were going to be a problem out in the ministry xD 

Study notes are transferred between bibles and languages as well. Highlights are harder.

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”