JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

8 hours ago, jwhess said:

San Diego.  He is an ex-hippie, volkswagen bus, long-haired surfin' dude (we have pictures!!!).  He is a wonderful brother, truly the 'salt-or-the-Earth'.

We had our annual Pioneer Day school on Halloween week and he and his wife brought us a large bowl of candy for snacks (no lunch provided you know).  He explained the provision by saying that in America it is amazing that if you knock on peoples doors, they will give you the small wrapped candies for free....:D

If he spent that much time as a "surfin' dude" no big surprise he would be the "salt of the Earth"

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Where did I hear that the Study Bible has jwpub? How can I get it?

Sent from my TECNO DP7CPRO using Tapatalk

It’s available to dl as JWPUB, but you cannot use all aspects of it yet.

Any day now...

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Wow, those are some really long version numbers.  All JW Library iOS version numbers are only two digits. Do you think the extensive iOS app approval process leads to fewer updates to the Apple version of the app. While on that subject where is the MacOS JW Library?

No, they could just as well distribute an update once a week.

There is no JW Library for MacOS.

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

They can push updates weekly. But, my point was that Apple uses a much more stringent process for approving Apps and updates. So it would be wise to make sure new features are more polished before risking having them rejected. 

They can push updates weekly. But, my point was that Apple uses a much more stringent process for approving Apps and updates. So it would be wise to make sure new features are more polished before risking having them rejected. 

The most recent iOS update was 3 months ago.

The most recent iOS update was 3 months ago.

I guess the iOS version tends to be more stable. Android users used to have to wait longer than iOS users for new features, but nowadays it seems they are pushed pretty much at the same time. Bug fixes and stability updates might be pushed at any time, though.

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

With Windows, and other platforms, the numbers include Upgrades, Updates and in between

• The leftmost number in a software's version number represents major upgrades - sometimes this level of upgrade will require a purchase
  • The number to the right of the first period can represent varying levels of updates or upgrades to the software.
  • The rightmost number in a software's version number generally represents minor updates.

With the JW Libraries, some of the updates may be as simple as correcting the database errors in some of the publications. At other times, it may be minor bug fixes or other minor fixes/adjustments. These types of updates will only show up in the "rightmost" number.

At times, there may be features added that do not include any major re-writing of the app. These types of changes may show up in either the rightmost number or the second number - depending on how much of the code was actually included in the existing release but was not yet activated.

When there has been a major overhaul of the code, that is when the first number will change.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 minute ago, Qapla said:

With Windows, and other platforms, the numbers include Upgrades, Updates and in between

This is true of iOS and macOS as well. Which is why it always grabs me that the Brothers use such simple iOS version numbers.

As an example the iOS version of Google Chrome is 62.0.3202.70.

3 hours ago, outwalkin said:

I am able to 'sync' between my Windows 10 tablet and Android phone. Have been for awhile. 

Are we talking about real syncing – merging of different notes between devices – or the simple backup to file and restore to another device?

On our iOS devices, we’ve had backup/restore for awhile. Works fine, but you can only restore to one file at a time. There’s no merging or combining two different note files as one (the one currently in use and the one you wish to include from another device).

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

9 hours ago, outwalkin said:

I am able to 'sync' between my Windows 10 tablet and Android phone. Have been for awhile. 

Can you tell me where it gives you the option to sync between devices?

I'm using android stuff, and have the version you do, but didn't think you could do that yet.

I thought it would end up using a google or some other account to make multiple devices sync, but I've been waiting for that to come out and didn't think it had.

Or maybe it's what digital_dreamer said, about backing up and restoring?    If not I would love to get that rolling.

Edited by Jwtruth45

32 minutes ago, outwalkin said:

I use my Windows tablet to do my studying, highlighting and note making. Maybe once a week I back it up to Google drive and then restore that backup to my Android phone.

This is what I do also. I'm loving it! ☺ 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

That is a decent work around. But doesn’t offer the flexibility I need sometimes. It’s a feels so close but is still so far situation. 

You have to remember that it has to be a simple solution anyone can use, useful to a lot of people, and many languages, not just English. A nice feature might not be useful to a pioneer sister in the ministry, even if it would be fun to have.

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

51 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

You have to remember that it has to be a simple solution anyone can use, useful to a lot of people, and many languages, not just English. A nice feature might not be useful to a pioneer sister in the ministry, even if it would be fun to have...

Plus it has to work on phones, tablets and desktop computers.  Not to mention several Operating Systems and multiple variations of each.

That is the nice thing about iOS. The framework and API allows for easy distribution on all platforms. Other OS are a little more involved. The Brothers who are always fair seem to like to roll out once all platforms are ready though. I am sure it will be well worth the wait.

The backup mentioned is not a sync. When you have separate notes on different devices, the restored backup will wipe it out on restore.  For now you can only have the one “master” copy which you add your notes, and then that is downloaded and restored to all your other devices.

The "sync" is a manual process and available on all devices

If you are diligent on doing this 2 actions below you don't need to merge (although it would be less cumbersome)

1- before working on a device,  always do a restore

2- before leaving the device, always do a backup 

That way, all your devices will be synched with the same information