JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

I love this thread and the whole forum here.  I joined just a few weeks ago but the insights and helping atmosphere here is outstanding.  I belong to several motorcycle forums and a few old and new Dodge truck forums.  Those are great with help from members there but what we have here and in our global brotherhood is incomparable to the worlds best intentions.  Thank you all for the hard work and sharing attitude that comes with this forum.  

I do have an actual question and maybe I should make it a separate thread so let me know if this has been asked and a link that I could read about it.  I just noticed on my Android phone LG V10 on the JW library app when I play a video it starts playing the one right after it and so on.  Does JW Library App use its own video player or is it linked to one installed on the phone.  I've looked and there is no video player listed in my apps drawer.   If the JW library has a built in player, how can you turn off the auto-play.  The default should be one video plays and then you have to click on a different one.  I never use auto-play for anything.  Thanks in advance brothers and sisters, you guys are awesome!

37 minutes ago, The Deej said:

I just noticed on my Android phone LG V10 on the JW library app when I play a video it starts playing the one right after it and so on.  Does JW Library App use its own video player or is it linked to one installed on the phone.  I've looked and there is no video player listed in my apps drawer.   If the JW library has a built in player, how can you turn off the auto-play.  The default should be one video plays and then you have to click on a different one.  I never use auto-play for anything.  Thanks in advance brothers and sisters, you guys are awesome!

Do you mean it plays one video after another?

Just now, mserskine said:

Do you mean it plays one video after another?

Yes, as soon as one video finishes it just starts playing another one you have downloaded in the library app.  You can hit the x to stop the video or pause, but I would rather have the default be play a video and then stop.

14 minutes ago, The Deej said:

Yes, as soon as one video finishes it just starts playing another one you have downloaded in the library app.  You can hit the x to stop the video or pause, but I would rather have the default be play a video and then stop.

On my android phone, while the video is playing,  I tap at the bottom of the screen which shows the TITLE of the video that playing.  After tapping, another screen shows up. Toward the bottom but not on the very bottom you will see 2 symbols, crossing X's and X's in sort of a circle. Make sure they are not highlighted. If they are, tap them to unhightlight. This should turn of the continuous play.

35 minutes ago, mserskine said:

On my android phone, while the video is playing,  I tap at the bottom of the screen which shows the TITLE of the video that playing.  After tapping, another screen shows up. Toward the bottom but not on the very bottom you will see 2 symbols, crossing X's and X's in sort of a circle. Make sure they are not highlighted. If they are, tap them to unhightlight. This should turn of the continuous play.

Hmmmm unfortunately I don't have the title at the bottom, its at the top and tapping does nothing.  I wonder if I have a different software version of android.  Here is my android version as well as the JW Library.

Android Version  VS99024A

Library App  8.0.14084

21 minutes ago, The Deej said:

Hmmmm unfortunately I don't have the title at the bottom, its at the top and tapping does nothing.  I wonder if I have a different software version of android.  Here is my android version as well as the JW Library.

Android Version  VS99024A

Library App  8.0.14084

Well, I'm not very tech savey. Those two symbols are somewhere. Find them and you will be able to fix your problem.

Here is a screen shot of what I see on my phone when I am watching a video in the library app.  There are two buttons toward the bottom but they don't seem to do much.  One if for random and one is for loop.  I've tried un-checking one at a time, or both or having them both enabled.  No combination stops the next video from auto playing.  

Screenshot_2016-12-16-10-03-12.png

I see that I do have those two symbols but they seem to not do anything, I'll keep trying.  Maybe I need to check one or both and then restart my phone, I'll also try this on my Samsung Note Pro 12.2 tablet when I get home today after work, that way I can see if its on just the phone or across both android devices.  Thanks for the help, I'll definitely let you guys know what I find.  If I can help just one person then that's all that counts...am I right?  SLAP IT HIGH!!!  :D

35 minutes ago, The Deej said:

Here is a screen shot of what I see on my phone when I am watching a video in the library app.  There are two buttons toward the bottom but they don't seem to do much.  One if for random and one is for loop.  I've tried un-checking one at a time, or both or having them both enabled.  No combination stops the next video from auto playing.  

OK, on your screenshot , the two symbols below the video are highlighted. Tap each one once so they become unhighlighted. Now your fixed.

3 minutes ago, Musky said:

Mine will start playing the next video whether the symbols are highlighted or not, I have tried all combinations of selecting and deselecting them. 

Well, all I can say is that for me, as long as both symbols are NOT highlighted, they won't repeat. This goes for both videos and audio.

2 hours ago, The Deej said:

At least some  Android videos play continuously (whether the "loop" icon is checked or not).  The only way to stop them is push the "stop" or "pause" button in the middle of the screen at the bottom.  When my video has completed, I just push the two vertical bars at the bottom and the video stops.  When I want to play it again at the next door, I push the "back" arrow at the bottom to rewind the selected video and push "play" again.

2 hours ago, mserskine said:

Well, all I can say is that for me, as long as both symbols are NOT highlighted, they won't repeat. This goes for both videos and audio.

I wish mine worked that way but checked, highlighted one or both or neither doesn't make a difference.  I guess my OCD loses on this one.  

Edited by The Deej

The first symbol is the "repeat" option not continuous play, It should repeat the play list after reaching the end.  The other one is the "shuffle" option,  it will play the sequence as displayed or randomly.  

It's like that on every player app that I know of,  for example spotify 

Screenshot_20161217-084700.jpg

It doesn't seem to exist an option for stopping continuous play... 

I remember a video where this feature was introduced and the brother explained his to use it, but I don't remember where it is... 

19 hours ago, Musky said:

Mine will start playing the next video whether the symbols are highlighted or not, I have tried all combinations of selecting and deselecting them. 

Does having them in favourites separated by another type of media fix the problem?

A video, then a book, then a video ...

Then choose the video from favourites instead of Media/.../Tools for the ministry.

???

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Does having them in favourites separated by another type of media fix the problem?
A video, then a book, then a video ...
Then choose the video from favourites instead of Media/.../Tools for the ministry.
???

Good thought! I just added books and videos to my favorites in random order and when a video is finished playing, it skips the books and plays the next video automatically.

It's not a big deal to close the next video when it starts, it's just curious.

Is anyone having trouble with the latest update for the android?
I was so excited. Downloaded all i could. And it will not play. It says its all there i click on it and nothing. A play sign comes up but no matter how much i click on it it will not work.
I dobt know if its just me or the update

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk