JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

20 minutes ago, Allabord4Jah said:

What they need to do is...

What we need to do is stay neutral in our hearts regarding world affairs, and pray for Jehovah's will to take place on the earth, so that we stay in line on that cramped road.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102015155#h=16
We believe that God’s Kingdom is the only solution for the world’s problems. No human government can do what God’s Kingdom will do for us. (Psalm 146:3) Do not put your trust in princes Nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation.

3 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

According to The Lancet. The number of actual cases being reported by the Chinese is considerably less than reality.  Wuhan coronavirus: 75k infected, doubling every 6.4 days, Lancet says

Its possible because they suppressed the truth from the start. 

4 minutes ago, Jako said:

Apologies if someone has made mention of this. I did not read the whole Topic.

Interesting article in the Awake 12/22 pp.7-9. Especially the heading Could it Come Back?

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/l/r1/lp-e?q=g05+12%2F22+pp.7-9

"The scary characteristic of this simple organism is its ability to change quickly. Because the virus reproduces so rapidly (far faster than the HIV virus), its many “copies” are not exact. Some are different enough to escape the immune system. That is why we face different flu viruses every year, which present a new set of antigens—substances that test our immunity. If the antigen changes sufficiently, our immune system has little defense against it and there is risk of a pandemic.The scary characteristic of this simple organism is its ability to change quickly. Because the virus reproduces so rapidly (far faster than the HIV virus), its many “copies” are not exact. Some are different enough to escape the immune system. That is why we face different flu viruses every year, which present a new set of antigens—substances that test our immunity. If the antigen changes sufficiently, our immune system has little defense against it and there is risk of a pandemic.The scary characteristic of this simple organism is its ability to change quickly. Because the virus reproduces so rapidly (far faster than the HIV virus), its many “copies” are not exact. Some are different enough to escape the immune system. That is why we face different flu viruses every year, which present a new set of antigens—substances that test our immunity. If the antigen changes sufficiently, our immune system has little defense against it and there is risk of a pandemic."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/mayo-clinic-dr-gregory-poland-coronavirus-basically-at-a-pandemic.html

2020-02-04_06h21_11.png

Found a better reporting site:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Seems to update more often and definitely explains things being reported better.

1800998139_VirusUpdateFeb.4.gif.153e5a9f02102340833e702eeba9dee7.gif

'Confirmed cases' is so antiseptic. :( 

I feel so sorry for those poor suffering people, in all 28 countries. :( 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

2 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Found a better reporting site:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Seems to update more often and definitely explains things being reported better.

1800998139_VirusUpdateFeb.4.gif.153e5a9f02102340833e702eeba9dee7.gif

'Confirmed cases' is so antiseptic. :( 

I feel so sorry for those poor suffering people, in all 28 countries. :( 

With the difference between the Chinese report of ratevof infection and the Lancets report on rate of transmissions the current death role in China should be about 1700.    On the other hand , if the death role is accurate then the mortality rate is actually much lower. 

On 2/2/2020 at 5:02 PM, Stormswift said:

I don't think your post is saying Jehovah is causing or using this virus did it? I think I've read you wrong - my apologies if I have.

This world IS out of control on so many levels. Only Jehovah's organisation is in control.  Jehovah won't control factions of this world until it is his appointed time to do so - especially things like viruses. That being said, that appointed time may be closer than we think. But I need to remember that Jehovah isn't going to step in or bring his day closer just because this world is sinking into more and more confusion. It could be though, a platform for many to listen to us  as we amp up our preaching efforts.

Exactly, thats not what I'm saying but, lets not forget that Jehovah has all things under control.  When the nation of Israel went wayward he "whistled" so to speak to the babylonians to take them captive. Before that Jerusalem was untouchable because they had Jehovah's backing. Babylon could not wait to get their hands on Jerusalem.  They were at the time the World Empire, so why not Jerusalem?      But, when they disobeyed by worshipping false gods, immorality, etc.  He allowed the Babylonians to destroy Jerusalem and take captives.   His righteous ones did not die but, nevertheless were taken into captivity.  When we read prophecies, Jehovah's dealings with enemy nations that oppose his people (and by the way, China sides with Russia) Jehovah allows situations to happen and therefore I can say with confidence that "His allowing" "pauses" any situation that can affect his purpose.  So, we don't want to run with ideas that are not reasonable to even indicate or think that Jehovah is doing these things.  However, all this was prophesied!  And he will control what he sees fit for the benefit of his purpose and his servants.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/02/04/coronavirus-china-admits-shortcomings-and-difficulties-response/4653286002/

China admits 'shortcomings and difficulties' in response to coronavirus; WHO says it's not a pandemic

"Sylvie Birand, director, global infections hazard preparedness at the World Health Organization, said it was "very early" in the outbreak. She declined to describe the situation as a pandemic, saying the outbreak remained mostly contained in China."

"Currently we are not in a pandemic," Birand said. "We are at a phase where we have an epidemic of coronavirus with multiple foci and we try to extinguish each of these foci."

WHO must know the difference between a pandemic or not!

Foci are cells located in a specific organ of the body that are notably different from the surrounding cells. These differences are caused by mutation or other types of cellular damage, and they're generally the first sign of a developing lesion, tumor or other disease.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:54 AM, Allabord4Jah said:

Just went on Amazon, to see what they carried.  Here is a review on a mask that is similar to the one in the video above. 

3M Particulate Respirator 8233, N100

Best Respirator Mask in the Disposable Line of Face Masks
By SurvivalGeek on Nov 21, 2017

Hi,

This disposable 3M 8293 P100 mask is amazing. It blocks all foreign odors such as stinky, musty, moldy odors and tobacco smoke smells (and more).

For starters, all disposable mask work/seal best on a clean shaven face (no mustache, beard or side burns). If you have facial hair, you will never get a good fit/seal when wearing a disposable mask and/or half mask respirator. If you don't have a correct seal, the mask will not do its job as advertised (another reason why soldiers are not permitted to have facial hair). The facial hair rule is mentioned a lot in 3M's online safety documentation.

Secondly, according to 3M, a medium sized mask/respirator fits 80% of humans. If your nose is too large/long, try a larger mask. Test out the seal at your local store that has a garden center that sells plants/fertilizer. You will know you have a good fitting mask when you can't smell the plants/fertilizer. Do this first before wearing the mask in a hazardous situation/area.

Thirdly, the World Health Organization (WHO) says that in cities with poor air quality, that a mask with a PM2.5 rating must be warn to protect your lungs. PM2.5 masks protect people from breathing in particles (particles in the air) that are larger than 2.5 microns. This mask protects people from particles 0.3 microns or larger and makes almost all smells/odors undetectable to the human nose.

If you are traveling outside the US (or live in a smog plagued city like Las Angeles, CA) then, a P100 Mask is the best form of protection to protect your lungs.
It's best to carry a few of these P100 disposable masks while traveling in other countries and to store opened masks in an air tight, resealable plastic bag (like a ziplock) to increase the life of the mask (an air tight plastic bag protects the mask from absorbing odors/moisture).

This mask works best with DEWALT DPG82-11 Safety Glasses (prescription eyeglasses friendly). I own a pair of these safety glasses and I wear them over my prescription glasses comfortably without my prescription glasses fogging up due to the comfortable foam seal that travels around the frame of the safety glass lens).
These can be found on Amazon for around $11 (see Amazon product title below):
DEWALT DPG82-11 Concealer Clear Anti-Fog Dual Mold Safety Goggle.

Bottom line: The 3M 8293 P100 Mask is amazing and is a great addition to bug out bags and emergency/survival kits in your vehicle/boat/motor home.

Also, they block out stinky poo gas odor, urine odor and decomposing flesh odor (like dead animals found while fishing/hiking/camping).
They are great to use while cleaning homes/businesses or using the restroom after someone else.

I use these masks from time to time in moldy/mildew infested environments and I breath clearly without any issues.

If your prescription glasses are fogging up, pinch the bendable metal strip (hard/firmly), within the mask, that rides on the bridge of your nose (above your nose just below the center of your eyes) to prevent warm, humid air leaving your lungs from fogging your glasses (or use this mask with the Anti-Fog Dewalt DPG82-11 Safety Glasses). If your glasses are still fogging up, pull the mask off your face about an inch and pinch the bendable metal strip, within the mask, before lowing the mask back in position over your mouth/nose for a better fit. The metal strip should form over the bridge of your nose and fit snug on the sides of your face below your eyes.

Hope this helps others out.

Note: I wrote this review without pay from anyone because I like how much this mask helps me out. I didn't receive anything for recommending the Dewalt Safety glasses either. This review included my personal review and facts from websites such as 3M (the manufacturer of this P100 disposable mask and WHO (The World Health Organization).

More Buying Choices
$7.42 

****************************************************************************************

The above statement was from the person who purchased this mask from Amazon back in 2017.  This is on Amazon today.  Not sure if price is for 1 mask or a box of them.  But like the N95, it also works against particles up to 80 percent!  Friends, these "doctor" mask's are not cheap.  The hospital buys them, hospital's get a discount but you and I don't.  Some stores that sell masks (like above) like the cheap y ones, are price hiking because of this virus that has mutated from SARS1 to SARS2.   I can't afford this mask, some are washable, and others only contain 10 masks in a box.  You can't wear the same mask the next day, then what?  You run out, you stock up?  If you have $$$ you can buy as much as you want. But if your low income like some people, it's a death sentence.  All I can say is that we do the best we can, for us who love Jehovah and worship him, stay close to him and congregation. Wear what you have or can afford.  The outbreak of this disease is no different then the flu that comes around every year in different parts of the world and countries.  Some strains are light others are heavy, this year in China, the strain is very heavy and it's spreading worldwide. 

I use the 3m 8210 in my work (N95).  I went to my vendor yesterday which is a big retailer open to the public, and they had 57 boxes (20 masks each) on clearance.  The sign read $13.98 / box for commercial accounts.  regular price $37, my everyday discounted price is $19.98.  I remember seeing them sitting in the same spot and on clearance last time i was in the store a couple weeks prior.  I wonder why they havent sold.  I bought 3 boxes just to have on hand (60 masks).  I wonder if I should buy them all and put them on ebay?.... they are in a store that you would not particularly think to look for respirators.  The 8210 does not have the valve on the front.  I believe I read somewhere that the valve version (exhalation release) was not good for virus protection.  I could be wrong since i dont remember where i read that.  

Im not really preparing for anything, but after reading several articles about the spread of germs, and the fact that my family has been sick an awful lot lately, I also bought a case of lysol, a case of bleach, and a case of 63% alcohol sanitizer.  and  a bottle of isopropyl alcohol.  had it shipped from Walmart.  Was only like $60 total.  And coronavirus or not, im going to start being a little more proactive about the germs.  been trying to school the kids in hand washing and keeping clean.  And i've been running around the house lysoling all the knobs, bathrooms, counters, etc.  im putting a can of lysol in all 3 cars, and just as maintenance Im going to turn on the a/c in each car and spray lysol into the air intakes at the bottom of the windshields.  Just to kill any lurking germs in the plumbing.  that stuff gets hot, cold, dark, humid, prime for germs.  gonna lysol my air handler in the house too.  Will keep bottles of hand sanitizer in each car, and in each room.  call me crazy, but im sick of being sick.  with 3 small kids i guess its inevitable, but i am litterally sick all the time.  im sick right now w some kind of respiratory thing i never got over when i had pneumonia a few weeks ago.  And im  a big strong generally healthy man!  I thought that pneumonia was gonna kill me!  it was bad.  And I woke up the other night w a pretty painful stomach bug.  One rough trip to the can and the bug seemed to be gone.  But my young son was up all night last night and he had it worse, from both ends (sorry to be gross).  But we had all just been to a gathering where the friends had all made dishes of food.  and I worry thats where it came from...  Im really even thinking twice about eating out now.  It's time to be more careful.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/03/asia/coronavirus-doctor-whistle-blower-intl-hnk/index.html

This Chinese doctor tried to save lives, but was silenced. Now he has coronavirus

"When I saw them circulating online, I realized that it was out of my control and I would probably be punished," Li said.

He was right.

Soon after he posted the message, Li was accused of rumor-mongering by the Wuhan police. He was one of several medics targeted by police for trying to blow the whistle on the deadly virus in the early weeks of the outbreak.

"From the start, the Chinese authorities wanted to control information about the outbreak, silencing any voices that differed with their narrative -- regardless of whether they were telling the truth."

Here are some good diet and supplement tips for preventing and dealing with viral infection. I'm not worried about it myself as I can use a nebulizer, silver, oregano, olive leaf, cistus incanus, ginger, garlic, etc which has worked really well for me with acute illness and flare-ups. I rarely catch anything anymore between maintaining a strict diet and isolation.

Pandemic? Not yet. 

Here’s everything you need to know about the coronavirus right now https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-feed/here-s-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-coronavirus-right-now?cid=newsapp:socialshare:copylink

“The concern is that it's continuing to grow in China, and several experts are saying it's likely to become a pandemic. But it doesn't necessarily have to become a pandemic -- it didn't with SARS -- so we still need to focus on measures that will delay or prevent its spread in Australia."

"The longer we delay it, the closer we get to a vaccine."

If the coronavirus was to become a pandemic (an epidemic spreading across multiple continents), Professor MacIntyre warns that the consequences will be more severe.

"A case fatality rate of three percent and being highly contagious is a concern. If it's widespread, the number of seriously ill people we'll see will overwhelm our health system."

A case fatality rate of three percent is higher than that of the seasonal flu, for instance, which is around 0.1 percent. In 2019, the flu killed at least 430 Australians.

That risk illustrates why it's worth taking the coronavirus seriously, but it also should not be a cause for unnecessary alarm. Right now, there are very few cases in Australia, and the priority is to keep it that way.”

The best advice is not through social media, but through your country's official health department's website. Self-isolation if you show symptoms , handwashing and taking the best care of yourself is currently all that is recommended.

2 minutes ago, Dages said:

It's difficult to understand who to trust here

I agree. What I wanted to add was the official website’s advice re the basic hygiene and isolation methods used for previous coronaviruses (SARS and Mers), are the methods that have worked in the past. They are the only method we have at this stage to prevent  and mitigate the spread. Until the scientists know what they’re really dealing with, and a vaccine can be manufactured (and even then, it’s no magic bullet, just like the flu shot isn’t).

I work at a busy Government department with many customers, huge queues and packed waiting room. We have newly arrived migrants and visitors as customers too. We have been turning away any who have come in from China in the past 2 weeks. Some have come in with masks, but we are not obligated to serve these customers as they are supposed to be self-quarantining. I regularly disinfect the desks and common area. People can be very stubborn about obeying health directives, and that is why diseases are spreading too - wilful non-compliance.

(I once had a man born overseas come into our office and using our phones who had just been discharged from hospital with mumps, and told to go home and isolate himself. Instead he came to our office to reconnect his welfare payments using our public phones, which I also used to speak on his behalf to the operator before I was aware of his illness!!!) 🤮😡 Absolutely no concern for anyone else, including pregnant mothers and babies sitting metres from him....This world.....

Edited by hatcheckgirl

Cruise ship off Yokohama has 10 reported cases onboard. 
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200205_14/

This was the same cruise ship earlier in the trip after being denied entry into Philippines. Because of docking at Hong Kong - madness! 800 passengers got on there. 
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-03/adelaide-couple-stuck-on-cruise-ship-refused-entry-to-manila/11923620?pfmredir=sm

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Cruise ship off Yokohama has 10 reported cases onboard. 
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200205_14/

This was the same cruise ship earlier in the trip after being denied entry into Philippines. Because of docking at Hong Kong - madness! 800 passengers got on there. 
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-03/adelaide-couple-stuck-on-cruise-ship-refused-entry-to-manila/11923620?pfmredir=sm

Wow ! A plague ship? Will they fly a 🏴 

This sounds promising...

Researchers in China have found the new-type coronavirus infects human cells through a cell entry receptor identical to those used by the coronavirus that caused SARS in the country 17 years ago.

Researchers at the Chinese Academy of Sciences infected bats and other animals with the new type of coronavirus from seven patients in Wuhan, Hubei Province. They announced their findings on Monday in the British science magazine Nature.

The team found that receptors for the new coronavirus on the surface of human cells are the same as those used by the coronavirus that causes Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome.

The researchers say the discovery suggests drugs and vaccines developed for SARS could be used to treat coronavirus patients and to control the outbreak.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200204_33/

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

10 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

This sounds promising...

Source???

Sorry, I see it down there in squint territory

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.