JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

4 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

The letter from above per the  Director of Health Services, Botswana  says - " If you experience fewer cough," etc......  you'd think someone would have proof read such an important letter such as this! If you are experiencing fewer cough, you're getting better! 🤪 I know he meant to say fever.

Is that kind of like leaving out the comma between fever and cough? 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

China accuses USA of being 'truly mean'.  

“Do not travel to China due to novel coronavirus first identified in Wuhan,” the US state department said, raising the warning for China to the same level as Afghanistan and Iraq.

Beijing, which has only just started to mend tattered trade ties with the US, called that move “truly mean” given the World Health Organization had commended its containment efforts and not recommended travel or trade curbs.

The World Health Organization urged countries to avoid travel restrictions, but very soon after that, the United States did the opposite,” the Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said in a statement. “It’s truly mean.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jan/31/coronavirus-live-updates-china-wuhan-death-toll-who-global-health-emergency-latest-news

spacer.png

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

3 hours ago, JennyM said:

Why do leaders says   theres nothing to worry about? Now, its escalating. In philippines, some places are in panic to buy masks..

Well, that's exactly why leaders always say there's nothing to worry about. People tend to panic and then they do stupid things. Panic never improves a situation. Leaders try to keep the population calm and follow the instructions.

59 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

"The grey-haired man collapsed and died while wearing a face mask on a street in Wuhan, a city of 11million people which is under quarantine amid the coronavirus crisis. "

the face mask didn't do him any good!

The face mask also PREVENTS the infected from spreading the infection. Maybe that man knew he was sick and was trying to stop spreading  it?

From what I’ve seen, as soon as they know someone is infected, a mask is put on them during transport to the hospital.

Edited by zoebarry

Spelling

9 hours ago, carlos said:

I find all this story a bit exaggerated. A lot more people die from traffic accidents or heart attacks every year.

If there was an epidemic that could have actually decimated the world it was Ebola. Ebola is extremely contagious, much more than coronavirus, and it's much more deadly. And yet it was contained. Unfortunately a lot of people in the African countries where Ebola became an epidemic didn't take the safety warnings seriously because there was a widespread rumor that Ebola was just a conspiracy or because they gave more importance to their funeral rituals that included handling the corpse of the dead one. This lack of preventive actions (some as simple as washing your hands often) together with the poor sanitary conditions caused many thousands of dead. But in Western lands, with much better sanitary conditions and with preventive measures taken, only a handful of people were infected and only one died, if I don't remember it wrong. Even in the affected areas in Africa, our brothers were a lot less affected by this disease because they did follow the instructions.

Summarizing, don't panic.

1 hour ago, carlos said:

Well, that's exactly why leaders always say there's nothing to worry about. People tend to panic and then they do stupid things. Panic never improves a situation. Leaders try to keep the population calm and follow the instructions.

Your thoughts are noted, however their government is seemingly taking it quite serious.

https://apnews.com/ae3b771d965a635e438cfdeeedb62b71

image.png.be473f5307b8a93a0a3c3c22817f91bb.png.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

8 minutes ago, AH173 said:

Can't understand the logic behind China's claim that the US's travel restrictions are 'truly mean' 

when that entire country is one big travel restriction, itself.   :( 

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

10 hours ago, carlos said:

I find all this story a bit exaggerated. A lot more people die from traffic accidents or heart attacks every year.

Yes, but even more people die of old age every year, so.... 😀

If there was an epidemic that could have actually decimated the world it was Ebola.

As far as I remember, Ebola was only transmittable once you started exhibiting symptoms and the contact needed to be far more direct than flu or corona. The case mortality was relatively high and the health effects on organs etc. pretty extreme in all cases. But Ebola was easily contained within African countries because it is a virus that is relatively easy to contain.

Summarizing, don't panic.

Don't panic is generally a good attitude to have. But that doesn't mean we are not allowed to be shrewd. If more and more cases were to pop up in the coming weeks, it would be shrewd to wear as much protection as possible in public transport and not focus on what "people might think"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/31/investing/dow-stock-market-this-week-coronavirus/index.html

New York (CNN Business)The Dow and the wider stock market fell sharply on Friday, as fears about the economic impact of the coronavirus took hold,ending the day down 603 points, or 2.1%. It was biggest one-day drop since August.

Just goes to show that the coronavirus effects more than just health issues! How shaky this system is! 😨

On 1/31/2020 at 7:19 AM, hatcheckgirl said:

Its not just by the number of deaths that you measure the actual impact. It’s also going to affect global markets due to that dependence on China to power our economies too. Will be a very rocky time ahead, end is in sight.

Economic impact as well as health impacts, due to the interconnected world we live in. 

Dos Equis (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈdos ekis]) is a lager that was originally brewed by a German-born Mexican brewer. The brand was named Siglo XX ("20th century") to commemorate the arrival of the new century, and the bottles were marked with the Roman numeral for 20 ("XX"), thus "Dos Equis" which is Spanish for "two Xs".

This is 'Dos Equis'? (aka XX) c680d9bf1af4f48f115267ae88279316.jpg

Just Older

14 hours ago, carlos said:

True.. Here.. business people hoard masks and sell it to higher prices later.. 

Working for Dept. of Motor Vehicles I ran across a CDC Scientist.  Only because I had to look at his I.D. before taking his photo and handing him his license.  In the process of doing his paperwork I asked him about the diseases out there.  He told me there are so many diseases out there that they don't even have a name for it or any vaccine to combat what is coming.

I asked him what do you suggest?  He said, "Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands." 3 times he repeated this for emphasis!

5 minutes ago, cme said:

Working for Dept. of Motor Vehicles I ran across a CDC Scientist.  Only because I had to look at his I.D. before taking his photo and handing him his license.  In the process of doing his paperwork I asked him about the diseases out there.  He told me there are so many diseases out there that they don't even have a name for it or any vaccine to combat what is coming.

I asked him what do you suggest?  He said, "Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands." 3 times he repeated this for emphasis!

Jehovah's standards of cleanliness apply jsut the same today, mosaic law or not.

A Chinese doctor who called the virus ‘controllable’

regrets his words.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/01/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html#link-5c1864e8

A prominent respiratory expert who originally told Chinese state media that the coronavirus was under control and preventable has admitted that his choice of words was inappropriate.

Wang Guangfa, head of the department of pulmonary medicine at Peking University First Hospital in Beijing, compared himself and other medical professionals tackling the outbreak to soldiers walking onto a battlefield. “All the bullets are flying,” said Dr. Wang, in an interview with Jiemian, a finance-focused news site founded by Shanghai United Media Group, which is controlled by the government of Shanghai.

In many ways the doctor, who has been widely criticized for his reassuring early statements, has come to symbolize how slowly China recognized the urgency of the outbreak. Dr. Wang, who initially said that the coronavirus could not be spread by human-to-human contact, later contracted it himself, apparently during a visit to Wuhan.

As the virus began to spread through Wuhan in early January, people who spoke out about it online were silenced by censors and, in some cases, held by the police. When journalists from Hong Kong — whose news media were among the first to shed light on the virus — visited a Wuhan hospital, police officers detained them for hours.

His interview has been widely shared on Weibo, China’s Twitter-like social media platform. Some of the most popular comments are from angry users.

“‘Could be prevented and controlled,’ Wang Guangfa,”

said one user, who wrote under a pseudonym based on “Gorbachev” in Chinese characters.

“Because of this line, the most critical half-month was squandered! And resulted in this.”

2019-nCoV Global Cases

(by Johns Hopkins CSSE) https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

As of Feb 1, 2020 10 am ET

Total Confirmed: 12,024

Total Deaths: 259

I hope those misleading 'experts' are right about one thing:  That it will peak in a couple

more weeks and then gradually dissipate as Spring approaches. :( 

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus-usa-news-public-health-emergency-death-toll-2020-02-01/

8th U.S. case of coronavirus confirmed in Massachusetts

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases keeps rising. As of Saturday, there were 11,791 cases in China, and an eighth case was confirmed in the United States.

U.S. officials on Friday declared the coronavirus outbreak a public health emergency.

As a result of the declaration, foreign nationals who have traveled to China in the last two weeks and aren't immediate family members of U.S. citizens or permanent residents will be temporarily banned from entering the U.S., according to Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar. Azar also announced that anyone entering the U.S. who has been in China's Hubei province in the last two weeks will be subject to a two-week quarantine. 

Earlier Friday, U.S. health officials issued a federal quarantine order for the 195 Americans evacuated from Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak. The group will remain at a military base in Southern California until mid-February, said Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases. The government hasn't issued such a quarantine order in over 50 years, Messonnier said.

The State Department has warned Americans to avoid all travel to China due to the "rapidly spreading" outbreak. The decision came after the World Health Organization designated the outbreak a global public health emergency.

As of Saturday, the flu-like virus had killed at least 259 people, all of them in China.

Pets can get the coronavirus too. 

https://www.newsweek.com/chinese-scientist-working-coronavirus-claims-pets-can-catch-infection-says-owners-should-monitor-1484841

Half an hour ago, Aljazeera Arabic also said that according to latest lab tests, pets can get infected with the coronavirus and can infect people back. He also said the coronavirus can be transmitted through poop. 

Just imagine, your cat or dog goes out for a walk, sniffs around, gets infected, comes back and infects the whole family. 

This is getting very serious now. 

Edited by Bek

On 1/28/2020 at 9:08 AM, Friends just call me Ross said:

I watched this entire video last night.

It is put out by two gentlemen who lived in China and

who still have friends there.   It is really an eye-opener!  :(

This was a shock.  I thought China was mostly more advanced. They have a device on the dark side of the moon ! Their Olympic athletes are highly competitive.

What I take away from this is "the government lies. Social harmony is the most important thing. Deny reality, save face."

And now I know what a wet market is and why so named. Gross !!!!