And since this Awake came out we’ve had:

2009: H1N1

2014: Ebola

2014: Polio

2015: Zika

2018: Ebola

2020: Coronavirus (2019 -nCoV)

There was also MERS in 2012-2015. 

There were also other epidemics on a smaller scale. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_epidemics

I think there has never been a better time for epidemics and pandemics before. Global population is huge now. Most people live in dense urban areas. Travelling by air and other means is the rage. 

1 hour ago, Shannie said:

Key word is Epidemic....

Meaning in a global scale every where...

Like The Black Plague

The Spanish Flu in the early 1900's....

Those six I’ve listed were epidemics, WHO declared a global emergency on those 6. The reason it didn’t do the type of damage like the Black Plague or the Spanish flu is because society is much more advance than ever before and have the capability to isolate and quarantine much more efficiently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-51318246?__twitter_impression=true

How unusual is this declaration? 

The WHO declares a Public Health Emergency of International Concern when there is "an extraordinary event which is determined… to constitute a public health risk to other states through the international spread of disease". 

It has previously declared five global public health emergencies:

• Swine flu, 2009 - The H1N1 virus spread across the world in 2009, killing more than 200,000 people
  • Polio, 2014 - Although closer than ever to eradication in 2012, polio numbers rose in 2013 
  • Zika, 2016 - The WHO declared Zika a public health emergency in 2016 after the disease spread rapidly through the Americas
  • Ebola, 2014 and 2019 - The first emergency over the virus lasted from August 2014 to March 2016 as almost 30,000 people were infected and more than 11,000 died in West Africa. A second emergency was declared last year as an outbreak spread in DR Congo

13 hours ago, Lee49 said:

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/480089-coronavirus-sparks-panic-as-flu-poses-greater-threat-to

"the flu rarely gets the sort of headlines an outbreak like the coronavirus does, despite killing more Americans each year than any other virus, and Americans do not seem to be particularly worried."

The World Health Organization reports flu causes 5 million cases of severe illness worldwide and kills 650,000 people a year.

Never before has the "flu whataboutism" seemed to have so much potential to become a strawman in hindsight from perspective of the future.

The flu is an established disease that has been around for thousands of years. Many cultures, say in the West for example, have developed a herd immunity against the flu. The flu would have been wiped out long ago if it didn't constantly mutate. But then there are people that simply don't, or rarely get the flu due to that herd immunity. An indigenous man from Borneo coming to the USA and catching a flu would very likely die from it, because those people were never exposed to it in the past. In turn, they are often more immune to jungle fevers that kill off Western scientists and tourists.

This virus isn't called nCoV for nothing, the "n" stands for novel, meaning new. It was only "born" a few weeks ago. In the early stages of its existence, it has infected many thousands, spread across the globe and killed hundreds within the firs three weeks. The infectiousness, incubation time and case fatality are easily twice as bad as the flu, the rate of people ending up requiring ICU treatment far higher. It's like comparing an experienced and seasoned serial-killer to baby Hitler in my opinion. Again, we will have to see if it will turn out to be a nasty mass-murdering bug or just another media hype because of our supposed fear of novel viruses. Maybe that fear of novel viruses is something natural and something healthy, you know?

On another note... something I just found weird.. but I'm really not an expert on this, maybe somebody knows more and can elaborate.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

This Johns Hopkins statistic currently stands at

Total confirmed: 9.776

Total deaths: 213

Total recovered: 187

Umm... okay I'm just gonna be an idiot here because I really don't understand. Here's how I as an idiot interpret those numbers:

9776 people have been tested because they felt really terrible and tests confirmed that they have or had the Corona virus.

213 of those 9776 have died due to the virus or related complications

187 of those 9776 have recovered

The other 9376 are currently sick and have yet to either recover or die...

Umm.... that would mean a case mortality rate of 53.25%....

Not meaning to create a panic, please don't quote me on this, I'm only trying to figure out what this actually means.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the best precautions are the standard, everyday ways to avoid all germs: try not to touch your face,wash your hands frequently, try not to to and avoid close contact with sick people.

However, the CDC has directed healthcare providers to give surgical masks to any patients that present flu-like symptoms or have recently traveled to Wuhan. That lowers the risk that a potentially infected person could spread the coronavirus to others via saliva or phlegm.

The CDC also recommends that doctors and nurses treating potentially infected patients wear masks and goggles.

But for the average person, a mask is probably not necessary.

2 minutes ago, M'Awan said:

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the best precautions are the standard, everyday ways to avoid all germs: try not to touch your face,wash your hands frequently,

And that is why wearing gloves, wearing a face mask and wearing glasses DOES make a difference even if it's just a crappy sheet of paper covering your mouth. Because you are less likely to touch your eyes and your lips. The media is constantly downplaying the effectiveness of dust masks as a last resort, and when you point it out on social media, people constantly expose you as being a scare-monger. They would prefer to take the risk of getting sick than risking "looking stupid" on the Subway. In the meantime, people in China are cutting out plastic bottles and making makeshift splash-masks, running around with trash on their heads... The vanity of the West is going to be its downfall LOL

9 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

The other 9376 are currently sick and have yet to either recover or die...

A senior Chinese doctor was shown on the English version of China's CCTV saying that those with mild symptoms and those who have not died from the coronavirus will need to boost their immunity by doing exercise and other things. With time, the immune system will clear out the virus, he said. 

Edited by Bek

I find all this story a bit exaggerated. A lot more people die from traffic accidents or heart attacks every year.

If there was an epidemic that could have actually decimated the world it was Ebola. Ebola is extremely contagious, much more than coronavirus, and it's much more deadly. And yet it was contained. Unfortunately a lot of people in the African countries where Ebola became an epidemic didn't take the safety warnings seriously because there was a widespread rumor that Ebola was just a conspiracy or because they gave more importance to their funeral rituals that included handling the corpse of the dead one. This lack of preventive actions (some as simple as washing your hands often) together with the poor sanitary conditions caused many thousands of dead. But in Western lands, with much better sanitary conditions and with preventive measures taken, only a handful of people were infected and only one died, if I don't remember it wrong. Even in the affected areas in Africa, our brothers were a lot less affected by this disease because they did follow the instructions.

Summarizing, don't panic.

According to the International Journal of Infectious Diseases' article in its February 2020 online issue,

this disease first presented itself in early December of 2019.

As of 10 Jan 2020, 41 patients have been diagnosed to have infection by the 2019-nCoV animals. The onset of illness of the 41 cases ranges from 8 December 2019 to 2 January 2020. 

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30011-4/fulltext

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

interesting report BBC:   How deadly is coronavirus?                                                                                                                                                                                                             It is a basic question, but the answer is elusive.

It is far too simplistic to take the 213 deaths and the 9,962 cases and come up with a death rate of 2%.

We are in the middle of the outbreak and thousands of those patients are still being treated.

We don't know if they will live or die, so they can't be used in these calculations.

We also don't know how many mild and undetected cases are out there.

Also, the deadliness of the new virus is only one component of its threat.

Flu kills hundreds of thousands of people each year, not because it is super-deadly, but because it is able to infect so many people.

2 hours ago, Bluebell said:

interesting points from the AW article 

.....The pandemic virus  may emerge in China....  

“It will spread rapidly throughout the world..... 

....widespread disruption of social and economic activity in all countries

yes I found that interesting too. If these things will happen, then it may trigger peace and security..then the outbreak of GT.

There is an American Youtuber who has lived in China for many yeas. He publishes videos about his travels around China and insights into its culture. His latest video is about the "lies" of the Chinese authorities around the coronavirus situation. It has helped me to understand why there is much conflicting info. The situation might be far worse than we think. 

Edited by Bek

1 hour ago, Bek said:

There is an American Youtuber who has lived in China for many yeas. He publishes videos about his travels around China and insights into its culture. His latest video is about the "lies" of the Chinese authorities around the coronavirus situation. It has helped me to understand why there is much conflicting info. The situation might be far worse than we think. 

Why do leaders says   theres nothing to worry about? Now, its escalating. In philippines, some places are in panic to buy masks..

36 minutes ago, JennyM said:

Why do leaders says   theres nothing to worry about? Now, its escalating. In philippines, some places are in panic to buy masks..

exactly.....if there is nothing to worry about....why building two Hospitals in a week?

why lock down 40 Million people at a time when business is booming?

1 hour ago, Rozannnancarrow said:

How reliable is this 

Lastest mag says look at the facts 

Is it reliable 

Where does it. Come from 

Do the research. 

Is that presenter reliable??? 

The letter from above per the  Director of Health Services, Botswana  says - " If you experience fewer cough," etc......  you'd think someone would have proof read such an important letter such as this! If you are experiencing fewer cough, you're getting better! 🤪 I know he meant to say fever.