JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

7 hours ago, JennyM said:

I live in tropical country... no problem with sunlight.. 

We have 3-1 in coffee.. lots of sugar of it....its my problem... Im a sugar addict. 

I don't finish warm shower with cold... coz its kinda cold here up on the mountain. 

Haha 😂 we have all cold bucket baths here in ghana come rain or shine. 

Here we have to toughen up 

I have been monitoring several news websites

and I believe Al Jazeera has been supplying the most

trustworthy information on this new coronavirus outbreak.

They have 'boots on the ground' reporters in China and

their boots are not allowed into the quarantined areas.

This video, from two Pakistani sisters who are students in Wuhan,

is probably as close to the true scenario at ground zero as you can get.

I did not know that Wuhan is an educational hub with 30 universities

filled with students from all over the globe.  That explains a lot.

This video is well worth a look (and a read). Just scroll down til you

see two sisters wearing masks.  (cannot get video address alone)

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/cloneofcloneofcloneofchina-battles-coronavirus-o-200129233906291.html

Edited by Friends just call me Ross

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/480089-coronavirus-sparks-panic-as-flu-poses-greater-threat-to

"the flu rarely gets the sort of headlines an outbreak like the coronavirus does, despite killing more Americans each year than any other virus, and Americans do not seem to be particularly worried."

The World Health Organization reports flu causes 5 million cases of severe illness worldwide and kills 650,000 people a year.

'Utter chaos': Coronavirus exposes China healthcare weaknesses

In Hubei province, 44 out of 88 Grade III Level A hospitals (the best hospitals) are located in Wuhan, home to 11 million of the province's more than 50 million people. In China overall, most of the best hospitals are found in the more developed, and wealthier, eastern coastal cities

It is hard for most people to imagine the magnitude of the disaster roiling China at the moment. With its 1.4 billion+ population, China is grappling with an apocalyptic crisis on a scale never seen before.

Provided by Daily Mail Chinese people around the world have started wearing plastic containers and bags over their heads to protect themselves from the coronavirus

a group of people with luggage at an airport: Chinese people around the world have started wearing plastic containers and bags over their heads to protect themselves from the coronavirus

If the situation had not been so deadly serious, this would have been absolutely hilarious. 

One man even wore a motorcycle helmet as protection during a flight from Shanghai to Perth.

@Rozannnancarrow  

we have all cold bucket baths here in ghana come rain or shine. 

Here we have to toughen up 

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/cold-shower-benefits/

I didn’t know the proper name for this type of shower, so I just called it the “James Bond Shower.” Taking a shower that started hot and ended cold proved to be quite invigorating. It woke me up and added a bit of pep to my step throughout the day. I’ve continued the practice of the James Bond Shower into adulthood. Along the way, I’ve discovered that cold water baths have been used for centuries as a way to treat various ailments and that modern studies lend credence to the health claims associated with this age old treatment.

Benefits of Cold Water Showers

While doctors may no longer instruct their patients to take a cold bath and call them in the morning, a shot of cold water can still impart real health benefits:

1. Improves circulation.

Good blood circulation is vital for overall cardiovascular health. Healthy blood circulation also speeds up recovery time from strenuous exercises and work. Alternating between hot and cold water while you shower is an easy way to improve your circulation. Cold water causes your blood to move to your organs to keep them warm. Warm water reverses the effect by causing the blood to move towards the surface of the skin. Cold shower proponents argue that stimulating the circulatory system in this way keeps them healthier and younger looking than their hot water-loving counterparts.

2. Relieves depression.

Lots of great men from history suffered bouts of depression.  Henry David Thoreau is one such man. But perhaps Thoreau’s baths in chilly Walden Pond helped keep his black dog at bay. Research at the Department of Radiation Oncology at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine indicates that short cold showers may stimulate the brain’s “blue spot”– the brain’s primary source of noradrenaline — a chemical that could help mitigate depression. I guess a bout of the blues isn’t so bad after all.

3. Keeps skin and hair healthy.

4. Strengthens immunity.

According to a study done in 1993 by the Thrombosis Research Institute in England, individuals who took daily cold showers saw an increase in the number of virus fighting white blood cells compared to individuals who took hot showers. Researchers believe that the increased metabolic rate, which results from the body’s attempt to warm itself up, activates the immune system and releases more white blood cells in response.

5. Increases fertility.

6. Increases energy and well-being.

Getting Started with Cold Water Showers

If you’ve spent most of your life taking hot showers, suddenly turning the dial in the other direction can be a big shock to the system. I took a break from the James Bond Showers for a few months. When I decided to get started again with them, my heart almost jumped out of my chest, and I nearly passed out from hyperventilating when the cold water hit my body. Too much, too soon.

My suggestion (based on personal experience) is to gradually decrease the temp of the water so your body can adjust.

Which reminds me, some people with certain conditions should avoid cold showers because of the shock to the body’s system. If you have the following conditions, you’ll have to harness your inner 007 another way:

• Heart disease. If my normal, healthy heart felt like it was about to explode, imagine how a diseased heart will feel.
  • High blood pressure. The contraction in your blood vessels caused by cold water could cause a stroke. Apparently.
  • Overheated or feverish. Your blood vessels need to dilate in order to release heat. Cold water causes them to constrict.

22 minutes ago, M'Awan said:

@Rozannnancarrow  

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/cold-shower-benefits/

Benefits of Cold Water Showers

While doctors may no longer instruct their patients to take a cold bath and call them in the morning, a shot of cold water can still impart real health benefits:

1. Improves circulation.

Good blood circulation is vital for overall cardiovascular health. Healthy blood circulation also speeds up recovery time from strenuous exercises and work. Alternating between hot and cold water while you shower is an easy way to improve your circulation. Cold water causes your blood to move to your organs to keep them warm. Warm water reverses the effect by causing the blood to move towards the surface of the skin. Cold shower proponents argue that stimulating the circulatory system in this way keeps them healthier and younger looking than their hot water-loving counterparts.

2. Relieves depression.

Lots of great men from history suffered bouts of depression.  Henry David Thoreau is one such man. But perhaps Thoreau’s baths in chilly Walden Pond helped keep his black dog at bay. Research at the Department of Radiation Oncology at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine indicates that short cold showers may stimulate the brain’s “blue spot”– the brain’s primary source of noradrenaline — a chemical that could help mitigate depression. I guess a bout of the blues isn’t so bad after all.

3. Keeps skin and hair healthy.

4. Strengthens immunity.

According to a study done in 1993 by the Thrombosis Research Institute in England, individuals who took daily cold showers saw an increase in the number of virus fighting white blood cells compared to individuals who took hot showers. Researchers believe that the increased metabolic rate, which results from the body’s attempt to warm itself up, activates the immune system and releases more white blood cells in response.

5. Increases fertility.

6. Increases energy and well-being.

Getting Started with Cold Water Showers

If you’ve spent most of your life taking hot showers, suddenly turning the dial in the other direction can be a big shock to the system. I took a break from the James Bond Showers for a few months. When I decided to get started again with them, my heart almost jumped out of my chest, and I nearly passed out from hyperventilating when the cold water hit my body. Too much, too soon.

My suggestion (based on personal experience) is to gradually decrease the temp of the water so your body can adjust.

Which reminds me, some people with certain conditions should avoid cold showers because of the shock to the body’s system. If you have the following conditions, you’ll have to harness your inner 007 another way:

• Heart disease. If my normal, healthy heart felt like it was about to explode, imagine how a diseased heart will feel.
  • High blood pressure. The contraction in your blood vessels caused by cold water could cause a stroke. Apparently.
  • Overheated or feverish. Your blood vessels need to dilate in order to release heat. Cold water causes them to constrict.

In the colder Counties lije Denmark and Sweden they have hot sauna and straight Into an icey cold pool 

Coronavirus has been declared a global emergency by the World Health Organization, as the outbreak continues to spread outside China.

"The main reason is not what is happening in China but what is happening in other countries," said WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, making the announcement at a press conference in Geneva.

The concern is that it could spread to countries with weaker health systems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51318246

1 hour ago, M'Awan said:

'Utter chaos': Coronavirus exposes China healthcare weaknesses

It is hard for most people to imagine the magnitude of the disaster roiling China at the moment. With its 1.4 billion+ population, China is grappling with an apocalyptic crisis on a scale never seen before.

Provided by Daily Mail Chinese people around the world have started wearing plastic containers and bags over their heads to protect themselves from the coronavirus

a group of people with luggage at an airport: Chinese people around the world have started wearing plastic containers and bags over their heads to protect themselves from the coronavirus

If the situation had not been so deadly serious, this would have been absolutely hilarious. 

Well, they can't be too serious because the top lids are off! What ever goes up must come down, including germs! 🤢

Chicago health officials have reported the first US case of human-to-human transmission of the deadly coronavirus.

The new patient is the spouse of a Chicago woman who carried the infection back from Wuhan, China, the US Centers for Disease Control said on Thursday.

The discovery marks the second report of the virus in Illinois and the sixth confirmed case in the US.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51316915

:( 

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Economics impact worldwide, due to the global dependence on China as an engine to economic growth:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dateline/coronavirus-outbreak-tests-the-world-s-dependence-on-china?cx_cid=edm:newsam:2019

“Ford and Toyota will idle some of their vast Chinese assembly plants for an extra week. Apple is rerouting supply chains. Starbucks has closed thousands of stores and is warning of a financial blow.

On Wednesday, British Airways suspended all flights to mainland China, while United Airlines and Air Canada are joining the growing number of carriers reducing service. Japan’s leaders are bracing for a possible hit. Hotels and tour operators across Asia are watching fearfully as the world’s largest source of tourism dollars tightens its borders.”

The tourism market of many countries will be severely affected, as the Chinese are their major tourists and spend big when travelling. Thailand, for example, will struggle without their tourism dollar.

A myriad of other major employers are affected, including French car manufacturers, IKEA, universities, all which have global impact. This is especially as many foreigners try to evacuate and return to their countries, with further spread of the disease probable. Reminiscent of how the Spanish Flu spread after WWI with the returning soldiers.

Its not just by the number of deaths that you measure the actual impact. It’s also going to affect global markets due to that dependence on China to power our economies too. Will be a very rocky time ahead, end is in sight.

@Lee49 

Well, they can't be too serious because the top lids are off! 

They could tie a N95 respirator mask around the opening of the plastic bottle, on the top. Quite innovative really these poor ignorant Chinese people. Except that it look so hideous. Next they will be donning the purdah. 

>"Keeping the meat safe": Taslima Nasreen on the burqa | e ...

Hopefully, the number of people infected would not match that of the Spanish influenza. If we use those statistics as comparison,

500 million would constitute about 35 % of China's population. Of unthinkable proportion. It would be a catastrophe. 

China death toll increases 25% from yesterday:

Each morning in China the National Health Commission provides updates.

The total death toll in China now stands at 213. That’s up from 170 announced at this time yesterday. That’s an increase of 25%, which is slightly down on yesterday’s increase (29%).

Confirmed cases inside China are 9,096. That’s up from the figure quoted at around this time yesterday of 7,711. It makes it an 18% rise in confirmed infections over the 24-hour period.

Virgin Atlantic suspends flights between Britain and China

Coronavirus has been declared notifiable disease in Queensland, Australia

Italy confirms first coronavirus cases

WHO declares international public health emergency

Sixth case confirmed in France

US reports first human-to-human transmission

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jan/30/coronavirus-live-updates-china-death-toll-wuhan-evacuation-foreign-nationals-citizens-latest-news?

Virus events for Jan. 30th.  :( 

I cannot believe the WHO actually recommends neighboring countries reopen their borders

and return to doing business as usual with China, i.e. normal plane flights in and out

and continued travel to and in China. :( 

The US CDC does not agree with the WHO on this matter:

Iron and clay...even in the medical realms. :( 

Dos Equis (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈdos ekis]) is a lager that was originally brewed by a German-born Mexican brewer. The brand was named Siglo XX ("20th century") to commemorate the arrival of the new century, and the bottles were marked with the Roman numeral for 20 ("XX"), thus "Dos Equis" which is Spanish for "two Xs".

@Old  

Pesonally I have switched from Corona to Dos Equis! 

It's a psychological thing. If the Corona virus mutates, we'll know what to call it. 

1 hour ago, Shannie said:

Screenshot_20200130-221445.png

Only 14 years ago. Nice. 

My work mate has been using this site map for tracking. It's pretty good.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

The item he pointed out today was 9,776 cases, 213 dead, BUT only 187 recovered. That's a  less than  50/50 death / recovery rate right now. Interesting.

Screenshot_20200130-204545.thumb.png.6f8758fee72992c87afea68a68061304.png

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

There is an official web site for the local government in china at http://www.hubei.gov.cn/

Its in Mandarin but you can use the translation to understand it.

The latest update on this site is:

32340 under observation

5806 confirmed cases

804 severely ill

290 critically ill

204 deaths

116 released patients