JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

Posted at 12:05 EST

1h agoFinland announces first case of coronavirus

9h agoFirst confirmed case in the Middle East

10h agoBritish Airways suspends all direct flights to and from mainland China

10h agoBritish Airways suspends bookings of London flights to Beijing and Shanghai

11h agoFirst suspected coronavirus case in Tibet

11h agoSixth coronavirus case confirmed in Australia

11h agoFirst coronavirus case reported in United Arab Emirates

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jan/29/coronavirus-live-updates-china-wuhan-death-toll-cases-symptoms-treatment-evacuation-us-japanese-citizens-latest-news

The World Health Organization’s emergency committee will meet on Thursday, the third time in a week, to evaluate whether the new coronavirus spreading fromChina constitutes an international emergency, the WHO said.

“The committee will advise the director general on whether the outbreak constitutes a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC), and what recommendations should be made to manage it,” the WHO said in a statement issued in Geneva before a news briefing by senior WHO expert Mike Ryan on his return from China.

The emergency committee, composed of 16 independent experts, twice last week declined to declare a global emergency. But today, the WHO chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who recently returned from a trip to China, tweeted that he would reconvene the committee to discuss whether such a declaration was now warranted.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

43 minutes ago, My little flower said:

i have confidence that the coronavirus will not get to everyone before the out break of the great tribulation even at the speed it is moving. i say so because of the following words;

*** w15 8/15 pp. 15-16 pars. 7-8 Keep in Expectation! ***
 But how bad do you expect conditions to become before “the great tribulation”? (Rev. 7:14) For example, do you expect that there will be a war in every country, no food on anyone’s table, and illness in every household? Under those conditions, even skeptics would likely feel compelled to admit that Bible prophecy was undergoing fulfillment. However, Jesus said that most people would take “no note” of his presence, carrying on with life’s normal activities until it is too late. (Read Matthew 24:37-39.) Thus, the Scriptures indicate that world conditions during the last days would not become so extreme that people would be forced to believe that the end is near.—Luke 17:20; 2 Pet. 3:3, 4.
8 On the other hand, for the composite sign to serve its purpose, the fulfillment of it would have to be obvious enough to command the attention of those who have been obeying Jesus’ counsel to “keep on the watch.” 

This gets misquoted so often. They are referring to a Mad Max scenario, an apocalyptic nuclear war, not a pandemic such has already happened since 1914.

24 minutes ago, My little flower said:

Where exactly is it saying that it’s an apocalyptic nuclear war being talked about? 

Those were just examples. The article says

For example, do you expect that there will be a war in every country, no food on anyone’s table, and illness in every household?

This does not mean there will be more countries like Venezuela unable to sustain themselves, and that there won't be another pandemic like the Spanish Flu (that killed up to 5% of the world population and affected one in five people), it doesn't even rule out a certain degree of World War III. It means that it will never be so bad that it will affect every single person in the world to the same degree in every country, like a hell on Earth scenario. But the Bible prophecies make it clear the situation will be bad in individual regards in individual countries and continents.

The three horsemen are no joke. And the opportunities for the rise of deadly plagues has never been so good. Unhygienic standards in former third world countries now aspiring to become economic giants, combined with people travelling across the globe on monthly basis to make business deals across the world.

3 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

Those were just examples. The article says

This does not mean there will be more countries like Venezuela unable to sustain themselves, and that there won't be another pandemic like the Spanish Flu (that killed up to 5% of the world population and affected one in five people), it doesn't even rule out a certain degree of World War III. It means that it will never be so bad that it will affect every single person in the world to the same degree in every country, like a hell on Earth scenario. But the Bible prophecies make it clear the situation will be bad in individual regards in individual countries and continents.

The three horsemen are no joke. And the opportunities for the rise of deadly plagues has never been so good. Unhygienic standards in former third world countries now aspiring to become economic giants, combined with people travelling across the globe on monthly basis to make business deals across the world.

Thank you for making an extension of my earlier comment which was never misquoted.

Just now, My little flower said:

Thank you for making an extension of my earlier comment which was never misquoted.

Sounded to me like you were using that excerpt to "prove" that this will not turn into a global pandemic. Which it certainly does not. Again, keep in mind that the Spanish Flu affected one in five people worldwide within a course of two years. That did nothing of any gravity to change people's general atheistic view about the fact that they are living in the end times.

What do you know about the composite sign?)

1 minute ago, ChocoBro said:

Sounded to me like you were using that excerpt to "prove" that this will not turn into a global pandemic. Which it certainly does not. Again, keep in mind that the Spanish Flu affected one in five people worldwide within a course of two years. That did nothing of any gravity to change people's general atheistic view about the fact that they are living in the end times.

There's more -   

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/01/29/coronavirus-wuhan-china-outbreak-united-states-cdc-prepared-vaccine/4599870002/

"It is predictable we will face new microbial threats,” said Frieden, who heads a group called Resolve to Save Lives. “Although we are much better prepared than we were 17 years ago when SARS emerged, we are still nowhere near as prepared as we need to be.”

What "worries" me is how the German media is constantly downplaying the situation at a point where we don't have any information at all about how bad the situation in China and worldwide really is.

Example: they are talking about a 7-day incubation period where the official numbers are 10-14 days. That has a huge impact on contagiousness.

Or, they are saying "Coronavirus may not have peaked yet"... seriously?? It is getting worse every day and "it may not have peaked yet".....

Or they are are saying "Peak may yet take place in up to one week".... in one week, we will merely know how much worse it has yet to become on a global scale.

And they are giving out ridiculous statistics, like comparing it so SARS.... an outbreak that lasted months and  in total was almost on the same scale as this outbreak until now....

When I recall how they blew Ebola and SARS out of proportion and everybody is trying to contain a panic now.....

My only hope is that the Chinese government did, in fact, start reporting this way too late and is now successively adapting to the true numbers and that this is creating the vertical hockey-stick graph for that reason.

EDIT: Oh and another thing. Less and less videos leaking from the public and more and more state-sponsored propaganda being offered to me on facebook. . . reminds me of Chernobyl.

Edited by ChocoBro

British Channel 4 News has been running videos on YouTube of an Irish blogger trapped in Wuhan. In the videos, the man calmly describes the situation on the ground. You can even see him walking on the streets and doing shopping in Wuhan. Watching him leaves you with the impression that the apocalyptic portrayal of things in some media reports is not accurate. 

I have also watched the hysterical Chinese man's video posted earlier in this thread where he vents his anger at the local authorities for failing to deal with the epidemic. After watching him, you get the feeling that the situation in Wuhan is very messy and dire. 

1 hour ago, Bek said:

British Channel 4 News has been running videos on YouTube of an Irish blogger trapped in Wuhan. In the videos, the man calmly describes the situation on the ground. You can even see him walking on the streets and doing shopping in Wuhan. Watching him leaves you with the impression that the apocalyptic portrayal of things in some media reports is not accurate. 

I have also watched the hysterical Chinese man's video posted earlier in this thread where he vents his anger at the local authorities for failing to deal with the epidemic. After watching him, you get the feeling that the situation in Wuhan is very messy and dire.

Which one is true then?

1 hour ago, Bek said:

Okay well this is awkward. The media has been telling us that the city is on lockdown. Sounds like somebody is lying.

And this is what drives me crazy. Who to believe?

German media / radio one hour ago: There are no new confirmed cases [in Germany?]... and that's some good news.

British media / BBC one hour ago: Coronavirus: Death toll rises as virus spreads to every Chinese region

Like I said, better to listen to everybody but believe nobody until next week. In the meantime, I am treating this like the real thing. Better safe than sorry.

Just now, ChocoBro said:

Okay well this is awkward. The media has been telling us that the city is on lockdown. Sounds like somebody is lying.

German media / radio one hour ago: There are no new confirmed cases [in Germany?]... and that's some good news.

British media / BBC one hour ago: Coronavirus: Death toll rises as virus spreads to every Chinese region

Like I said, better to listen to everybody but believe nobody until next week. In the meantime, I am treating this like the real thing. Better safe than sorry.

Ok yeah.. We need to improve our immune system. 

4 minutes ago, JennyM said:

Ok yeah.. We need to improve our immune system. 

That's my idea too.

More walks outside when the sun is shining

A positive, spiritual outlook

More fresh fruit and vegetable

No extra sugar or sugar drinks

A good night's rest

Daily doses of cystus tea or pomegrenate or other polyphenole foods

Enough water

Cold showers to finish warm showers

@ChocoBro

Many foods in a healthy diet contain high levels of naturally occurring phenols in fruits, vegetables, cereals, tea and coffee. Fruits like grapes, apple, pear, cherries and berries contains up to 200–300 mg polyphenols per 100 grams fresh weight. The products manufactured from these fruits, also contain polyphenols in significant amounts. Typically a glass of red wine or a cup of tea or coffee contains about 100 mg polyphenols. Recent evidence has suggested that polyphenol-rich foods intake may be associated with decreased risk of chronic diseases

Don't forget dark chocolate. 

1 hour ago, JennyM said:

Which one is true then?

1 hour ago, ChocoBro said:

Yes, that's what I wondered about too. The situation is certainly serious, but considering the below 5% mortality rate of the coronavirus, which is roughly double the rate of the flu fatalities in worst seasons, I would not really worry much unless the virus starts mutating. If you do not have a compromised immunity and/or pre-existing conditions, you should be alright even if you catch the virus. 

We also need to bear in mind that we live in the post-truth era and always carry a bucket of salt around when dealing with info in the media, especially in social media. 

Edited by Bek

1 hour ago, ChocoBro said:

That's my idea too.

More walks outside when the sun is shining

No extra sugar or sugar drinks

Cold showers to finish warm showers

I live in tropical country... no problem with sunlight.. 

We have 3-1 in coffee.. lots of sugar of it....its my problem... Im a sugar addict. 

I don't finish warm shower with cold... coz its kinda cold here up on the mountain. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51305526

Coronavirus: Death toll rises as virus spreads to every Chinese region

The death toll from the coronavirus outbreak has risen to 170

7,711 confirmed cases in the country as of 29 January.

"Although the numbers outside China are still relatively small, they hold the potential for a much larger outbreak," the WHO chief said.

------

My friend in Germany told me this: They are only talking about the four cases in Bavaria. But near us (ca 500 km from Munich) in the hospital there are also three people on the isolation ward with suspected coronavirus

Edited by Bluebell

1 hour ago, Bluebell said:

------

My friend in Germany told me this: They are only talking about the four cases in Bavaria. But near us (ca 500 km from Munich) in the hospital there are also three people on the isolation ward with suspected coronavirus

A young sister in Munich English is also grounded until in two weeks because she worked in the affected team. Yeah, they are trying to put a cap on this where they can. Will it be enough, only time can tell. In the meantime, patience and prayers.