JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

1 hour ago, Lee49 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/01/24/coronavirus-wuhan-china-lockdown-quarantine-us-cases/4562257002/

15 people die from coronavirus in one day; death toll rises to 41, Chinese officials say

Yeah, they aren’t saying it yet but this one beats just about any flu outbreak and even SARS in its lethality so far. This could provide a Cull of the elderly population. One that would be advantageous to countries increasingly graying with low replacement rates. 

On 1/23/2020 at 4:43 PM, Lee49 said:

Snakes could be the source of the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/health/snakes-wuhan-coronavirus-outbreak-conversation-partner/index.html

"snakes, I hate snakes! " ( Indian Jones)   😡

More likely to be Bats.  Or the Wuhan institute of virology. 

33 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

More likely to be Bats.  Or the Wuhan institute of virology. 

Well. my mom have thought about that for a long time  that these scientists are creating these viruses.. 

We had vaccine for dengue in our country before... They inject to many children.. The vaccine didn't work and so many children died. This was just 2 years ago. 

Its just for money. 

This was the lead news on NBC tonight.

Previously, it followed the Trump trial.

I think I heard 13 countries now have confirmed cases.  2 in the USA so far

and they are concerned about outbreaks on college campuses. Students must travel to China or from China.  :(

Also, a normally healthy 33 yr old man died

today from this virus.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

47 minutes ago, JennyM said:

Well. my mom have thought about that for a long time  that these scientists are creating these viruses.. 

We had vaccine for dengue in our country before... They inject to many children.. The vaccine didn't work and so many children died. This was just 2 years ago. 

Its just for money. 

There are no evidence that this is an outbreak of a man made virus. This is simply a conspiracy.

Currently, it is strongly believed that this virus originated from a mutated coronavirus from wild bats, or possibly wild snakes, which were sold in Wuhan Seafood Market.

Very rarely, a defect vaccine can kill a person. But virtually any man made products are prone to such defects, and a vast majority are produced without any faults and do good for the society.

8 hours ago, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

Very rarely, a defect vaccine can kill a person. But virtually any man made products are prone to such defects, and a vast majority are produced without any faults and do good for the society.

Its possible if there arent enough tests on it. Im not a virulogist but they say that vaccines are from cultured virus itself... 

And in pharmacy, medicines are combination of synthetic products... So there should be proper dosages for each or else its not going to help. There are medicines that if not administered properly it can cause internal bleeding..One example is PPA... Its already banned in the US but not yet in my country. 

Do you mean this PPA? I must watch out for this drug in case it is sold in this country.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/information-drug-class/fda-issues-public-health-warning-phenylpropanolamine

FDA, today, is taking steps to remove phenylpropanolamine (PPA) from all drug products and has requested that all drug companies discontinue marketing products containing phenylpropanolamine.

FDA today issued a public health advisory concerning the risk of hemorrhagic stroke, or bleeding into the brain, associated with phenylpropanolamine hydrochloride.

Phenylpropanolamine is an ingredient used in many over-the-counter (OTC) and prescription cough and cold medications as a decongestant and in OTC weight loss products.

Collected via e-mail, November 2000

Coronavirus: How can China build a hospital so quickly?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51245156

"China has a record of getting things done fast even for monumental projects like this," says Yanzhong Huang, a senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations.

He points out that the hospital in Beijing in 2003 was built in seven days so the construction team is probably attempting to beat that record. Just like the hospital in Beijing, the Wuhan centre will be made out of prefabricated buildings.

prefabricated building, informally a prefab, is a building that is manufactured and constructed using prefabrication. It consists of factory-made components or units that are transported and assembled on-site to form the complete building.

16 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

prefabricated building, informally a prefab, is a building that is manufactured and constructed using prefabrication. It consists of factory-made components or units that are transported and assembled on-site to form the complete building.

Chinese construction firm erects 57-storey skyscraper in 19 days

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/30/chinese-construction-firm-erects-57-storey-skyscraper-in-19-days

Edited by Bek

@ Ivy  

So, do you think she'll be offended if I'm wearing mask?

No, they should not. I find Medan city a pretty dusty place. A good idea to wear a mask. It is the same here in this city of mine.

However I just googled this just now.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-coronavirus-mask-protect-experts-20200123-7kn3ecnfefc6fbyk62ymorp5ru-story.html

JAN 23, 2020 

Experts say that masks can play a role in stemming the spread, but not in the way we might think. There’s no need to rush out and buy one unless you’re actually taking care of a coronavirus patient — or have it yourself.

“Any time you have a barrier, a mask, it’s kind of a barrier that will reduce the transmission of droplets, and the virus particles that the droplets carry,” Debra Chew, an assistant professor of medicine at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, told the Daily News. “It does help to prevent the virus from disseminating in the environment. “

Masks come into play for those taking care of someone who is afflicted, said Chew, who is also the medical director for infection prevention and control at University Hospital in Newark and a former Epidemic Intelligence Officer for CSC

“The protection comes more from if the infected people wear the masks,” Chew said. “It can help people from spreading coronavirus to healthy people.”

Masks help people not spread the virus by protecting others from the spray of sneezes and coughs.

“It has to be pretty close contact at this point,” Chew said, for someone to contract coronavirus. “And somebody is more at risk if somebody’s coughing a lot.”

Edited by M'Awan

1 hour ago, M'Awan said:

Do you mean this PPA? I must watch out for this drug in case it is sold in this country.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/information-drug-class/fda-issues-public-health-warning-phenylpropanolamine

It is still being used here.. And the public is not being educated.. The pediatrician always give medicine with PPA to my daughter for years and I refused... 

Edited by JennyM

What harm is it going to do if you wear a mask?  I wear one when I go to my hall.  I wear one when am out and about, even in service.  And now at our hall we have the beginnings of (hopefully) a new Chinese Congregation to be formed.  It's that big yet, so they meet with us during our talk and WT study, and our theocratic meetings mid week.  So far no one in the congregation has gotten sick except for the kids who go to school and catch a cold from other kids.  Or parents who work in an office.   But I wear a mask, and I've seen a few of our Korean friends that share the same hall wear mask too!  I think for now wearing a mask and washing your hands is important and to disinfect the hall!  I usually bring my wipes and I wipe down the chair area I sit in.  I do the table where the sisters and or a brothers will give a presentation. I wipe the mic's and the podium where they turn the nob adjust it to their needs.  So far so good.  And the elders have told all of us to stay home if you have a fever, cough, or symptoms of flu.  Some people listen some do not. 

This is a pestilence produced either by man (in a lab/mentioned in this forum on this subject) or animal.  So wear what you deem fit.  Wash the hands, disinfect where you can.  But please be considerate of those who have fragrance issues. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/coronavirus-china-live-updates/2020/01/25/0ca57a5e-3ed7-11ea-afe2-090eb37b60b1_story.html

Jan. 25, 2020 at 11:50 a.m. EST

Refresh for updates

TOKYO — China's leader Xi Jinping warned Saturday of an "accelerating spread" of the coronavirus, adding to worries about the scope of a health crisis that has claimed at least 42 lives and triggered emergency health measures in cities across China.

Xi's remarks of a "grave" situation came as China kicked off its traditional New Year's celebrations amid a backdrop of caution and stark measures seeking to contain the virus.

At least 48 million people were ordered on lockdown in central China with a travel ban covering 15 cities in the central Hubei province, where the virus was first encountered. Here's what we know:

●Hong Kong announced that its schools would be closed until Feb. 17 to try to limit the possibility of transmission.

●The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed that a second person in the United States has been diagnosed with coronavirus.

●Infections have been confirmed in France, South Korea, Japan, Nepal, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, Taiwan, Australia and the United States. We’re mapping the spread HERE.

861219224_VirusJan25.gif.bf8f70cb7047e8d5f11434296bd4d434.gif

●Travel bans were extended in central China to put tens of millions of people effectively on local lockdowns. In Wuhan, where the virus was first detected, workers are racing to build a 1,000-bed hospital.

●Authorities around China, including in the capital, Beijing, have canceled the temple fairs and festivals that accompany the Spring Festival to avoid having large public gatherings where the airborne virus could spread.

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

This just popped up in my subs. N95 Respirators (not basic face masks) are apparently 80% effective when used properly, but only 50% of people use them correctly. Using them wrong carries the same risk as not using one. Also, they inhibit oxygen, and are for one time use only.

1 hour ago, Loopy said:

The video on that page says the Center for Disease Control is testing 63 patients in 22 US states. :( 

Also that it is up to 1,300 confirmed cases worldwide.

1283519756_ViruscountriesJan25.gif.ff093c47f0fda13ed9ad0abde1b6cfcb.gif

Hopefully, all the travel bans, school closings and air traveler monitoring will be 

able to put a lid on this before it becomes a pandemic.  With an incubation period

of five days before patients are symptomatic,  monitoring travelers' temperatures

may be futile, though.   

This all began back in the middle of December.  I fear a LOT of spreading has

already been done. :( 

Four cases of the deadly coronavirus have been confirmed in Australia as passengers from Wuhan, China are urged to watch for symptoms of infection...

Authorities around the world scramble to stop the deadly illness from spreading further.

Three men are in hospital in Sydney after flying in from China, while another man in his 50s is being treated in Melbourne.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/australia-confirms-four-coronavirus-cases-as-authorities-rush-to-stop-spread33ca0a1d990a926334a73e9903af6b37.jpg&key=917647796d149784fe0490815149cf6f5c1e7bab7753a03cbe8de3492698a28e

As a side note, Australia loses 3,000 per year on the 'normal' flu cycle.

Just Older

On 1/24/2020 at 11:48 AM, Old said:

I have caught and eaten rattlesnake several times. I found it to be quite tasty very similar to frog legs. It take a big snake to provide much meat. We once had a six foot rattlesnake dinner, no leftovers. :lol:

Funny, when I had some frog legs in Florida, I thought it tasted like CHICKEN!😄

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I think this whole thing is like shutting the stable door once the horse has bolted !.... the world has become such a small place and people travel so much it's going to be almost impossible to contain it. 

I've also just heard that the incubation period is 2 weeks... that's an awfully long time. 

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

So, if and when they come out with a shot for the caronavirus how many will run out to get one? Here in the US more than 40%+ do not usually get a flu shot, most take their chances or do not believe in them or as stated it may only be a certain percentage in reducing the risk .

Only half of Americans plan to get a flu shot this year. Here's why that's a problem

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/26/health/who-gets-flu-shot/index.html