JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1372 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

Anyone remember the magazine subscription work?  They were a $1 per year for 24 issues each.  They were delivered to your home in a plain brown wrapper with the magazine folded into thirds.

IMG_20200726_0002.jpg

I think, and please correct me if I am wrong, that for like $50 you could get a lifetime "First Class" subscription and you would get the magazines a little sooner than everyone else, and, at the time for a planned lifetime.

8 hours ago, jwhess said:

They were delivered to your home in a plain brown wrapper with the magazine folded into thirds.

We used to get them that way for many years - then, they made a change and folded them in half instead of thirds. It took less work/time to fold it this way and used slightly less brown paper.

Remember trying to get those folds/creases out of the magazines?

Also, the WT mags used to all look the same each month except for the color - they did not have actual pictures on them

image.png.50c5920cd96ff8c352ca52aa08dbb78b.png

Although, as kids, we used to color them with colored pencils

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 7/15/2020 at 11:03 PM, Mephibosheth said:

Remember when the CBS didn't have a schedule and if you decided to visit another CBS you had to call and see what page they were on and if they had enough chairs?

Ok... :whistling:we call those of you who remember this ..ancients LOL 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

On 7/22/2020 at 7:13 PM, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Some pics I found...

This was where Hitler said he would eradicate the 'Bibel Forscher' (Bible Students). 

We used his area as the main stadium, and his private runway as our carpark. 

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

1969.jpg

1969-1.jpg

1969-2.jpg

I love way too many aspects of this photo..., come on? where to start?

Golf clubs sticking out on top? (Are they golf clubs?)

Aussie "rego" on Merc in Germany?

Bavarian outfit ?(small child) 

Lovely hand to hand, husband and wife?

So beautiful. Love it. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I love way too many aspects of this photo..., come on? where to start?
Golf clubs sticking out on top? (Are they golf clubs?)
Aussie "rego" on Merc in Germany?
Bavarian outfit ?(small child) 
Lovely hand to hand, husband and wife? So beautiful. Love it. 

Thanks for asking...
Golf Clubs? My Dad didn't play golf. I can only think they are legs from a camping bed or table.
Dad ordered a RH drive Benz from the factory in Stuttgart. When we returned to Oz, we brought it back. 230D - We drove from Vienna to the International.
My younger sister sporting the lederhosen. My mum n dad in 1969. My dad died 5 years later in 1974 in Melbourne.

Old (Downunder) Tone

Earlier, a reference was made to the Public Talks.  The older 1 hour talks started in the early 1950's.  The outline was very minimal (part of one page).  the instructions were to "fill-in" the details, citations and scriptures.  This resulted in a lot of work and talks that differed quite a bit from speaker to speaker. Later, the outlines were more detailed and eventually grew to as many as 4 pages for each talk.  Still later the 45 minute talk covered 2 pages on the front-back of a single sheet.  Some of those outlines are still used 9although we have to cut them down to fit 30 minuted talks. 

Here is a copy of a 1954 outline.

talk1954.JPG

I remember giving manuscript talks and outlines about the parables of Jesus, The Christian View of Worldly Holidays, and a few others I can't remember.     Some of these outlines there was not , if any, much veering from.    Some straight to the point .  Now, I wish I would have kept those old outlines.  I also remember holding our meetings in homes.

Edited by A fellow servant

54 minutes ago, jwhess said:

We can'r forget...

About 7 years ago...waaaay back...there was John Ekron on stage at the annual meeting showing us...the JW Library app on mobile devices...❤️🙂

At the time, no one could have believed or even thought we would be using the mobile devices this prominently in our meetings and the ministry. I think it was about 2012 or 2013. (It’s certainly in the time frame where I can remember, at least.)

Do you remember giving talks out of the red Youth book? A very shy and humble older brother gave a talk on chapter 5, half of his talk was him taking deep breaths and wiping the sweat off his face.  🤣 The whole congregation felt sorry for him.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Hinata said:

At the time, no one could have believed or even thought we would be using the mobile devices this prominently in our meetings and the ministry. I think it was about 2012 or 2013. (It’s certainly in the time frame where I can remember, at least.)

It was at the 2013 Annual Meeting when the english speaking world received the new gray Bible.  He is holding one in his hand in this picture.  You can go the the JW Broadcasting video for that event and see this presentation.  In 2013 it was not the whole meeting (just excerpts).

502013413_univ_lss_lg.jpg

Edited by jwhess

22 hours ago, Emily Mucklow said:

I can remember when we had meetings in a kingdom hall. What memories......

“ I will remember the works of Jah ;I will remember your marvelous deeds of long ago.” Psalm 77:11

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

If you find updating the JW Library difficult at times...remember the NWT on Folio diskettes?  Ten pages of instructions, and look at the computer requirements.  Dos 3.0,  a 3 1/2" floppy drive that was 720K in size, 1/2 Meg of RAM and 7.5 Meg available on the hard drive.  There were about 10 disks to load onto the hard drive.

When you went to use the program, note the command-line to access the program. From your computer desktop "DOS command prompt"  type C:\nwt  then type NWT to load the program.  It had CGA color graphics (or Black & White).  It was a marvelous invention...digital NWT Bible at your fingertips...❤️

IMG_20200728_0001.jpg

IMG_20200728_0002.jpg

Edited by jwhess

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

If you find updating the JW Library difficult at times...remember the NWT on Folio diskettes?  Ten pages of instructions, and look at the computer requirements.  Dos 3.0,  a 3 1/2" floppy drive that was 720K in size, 1/2 Meg of RAM and 7.5 Meg available on the hard drive.  There were about 10 disks to load onto the hard drive.

When you went to use the program, note the command-line to access the program. From your computer desktop "DOS command prompt"  type C:\nwt  then type NWT to load the program.  It had CGA color graphics (or Black & White).  It was a marvelous invention...digital NWT Bible at your fingertips...❤️

IMG_20200728_0001.jpg

IMG_20200728_0002.jpg

1993 was a pivotal year for electronic research.

*** yb93 p. 25 Jehovah’s Witnesses—1993 Yearbook Report ***

Through the Society’s worldwide multilanguage computer system, the Computer Department at Watchtower Farms is now supporting the composition, translation, and publication of Bible literature in three more languages than the 208 of the previous year.

Another outstanding development was the release to the public of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures—With References on Diskette. This diskette version of the New World Translation will allow computer users to carry out research in the Bible quickly.

*** km 5/93 p. 7 Announcements ***

▪ Another release on computer diskettes is available: New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures—With References/Insight on the Scriptures. This release contains the New World Translation and both volumes of Insight. This is available only in English on 5 1/4-inch 1.2-megabyte or 3 1/2-inch 1.44-megabyte diskettes. A computer with a hard disk having a minimum of 18 megabytes of free space is required. A letter sent to all congregations provides additional information about this new item and how to request it. Diskettes containing only the Bible will continue to be available.

▪ The Society is now working on a CD-ROM to use with computers. This is a compact disk with read-only memory. It will allow one to view on a computer screen any reference from the New World Translation, the Insight volumes, The Watchtower from 1950 to 1993, and many other of our copyrighted publications. The CD-ROM will include a versatile, Society-designed program to search those publications. An appropriate device for reading CD-ROMs will be needed. This CD-ROM should be available early next year. Please do not write or telephone the Society for information. When technical information is finalized, we will send a letter to all congregations, giving details about equipment needed to use this new CD-ROM.

Remember when there was no WTBTS presence on the Internet? Oh, there were some Brothers who put up some web pages (and instructed to remove copyrighted material) but there was nothing "official". The GB was a bit skeptical of using the Internet and WWW for "official" purposes.

Remember how simple the initial "text only" webpages written in HTML were - the ones that were presented to the GB so they could see just how they worked ... they may have been simple pages but they did the trick - now look what jw.org has become from that very rudimentary collection webpages in that demonstration.

4 hours ago, Qapla said:

Remember when there was no WTBTS presence on the Internet? Oh, there were some Brothers who put up some web pages (and instructed to remove copyrighted material) but there was nothing "official". The GB was a bit skeptical of using the Internet and WWW for "official" purposes.

Remember how simple the initial "text only" webpages written in HTML were - the ones that were presented to the GB so they could see just how they worked ... they may have been simple pages but they did the trick - now look what jw.org has become from that very rudimentary collection webpages in that demonstration.

In between we had www.watchtower.org and here is the web page 1997

wt-org-2.jpg

The original demonstration pages were text only, as much of the WWW was at the time. BY the time it was implemented and online graphics were in use and gaining momentum for links.

Thanks for the look back - I do not have any copies of that site and I don't still have any copies of the text only demo pages, either.

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

The original demonstration pages were text only, as much of the WWW was at the time. BY the time it was implemented and online graphics were in use and gaining momentum for links.

Thanks for the look back - I do not have any copies of that site and I don't still have any copies of the text only demo pages, either.

Visit archive.org and check the way back machine

20 hours ago, Qapla said:

It only explains how the GB operates with the leading of the spirit