JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anyone using JW Scheduler software?

It looks like my congregation is switching to JW Scheduler for meeting scheduling software.  Currently (well before this past week) we were using KHS.  Now we're testing JWS.  

I like it.  What I really like is the mobile app that syncs with the schedule.  So much easier to access on the fly than what we are currently doing (PDFs on a Dropbox).  

Anyone else using this?  Is it the wave of the future?  Is it going to supplant KHS?  Is there an easy way to import data from KHS to JWS?

As congregation secretary I have been testing it to present to the body of elders. I like many of the features.  We already use Hourglass but JW Scheduler has the same feature and much more.

Hopefully I can present it well and we can approve its use soon.

Here is a link on how to import data from KHS:

https://jwscheduler.com/how-to/getting-started/import-from-majestic-khs/

12 hours ago, Mzbarb said:

Our congregation is using it

Have you been successful in moving information to the new software? 

Im talk coordinator.  I'd like to find an easy way to migrate my data from KHS to JWS.  I've scheduled talks through July and I'd hate to input all that by hand. 

15 hours ago, Jmystro said:

Anyway to print a CLM schedule that looks similar to KHS?

One week per full page 

I’ve been using it but haven’t switched yet from KHS.

If you want print a schedule of a week per full page (Both meetings), go to PRint- Congregation- WeeklyOverview

19 hours ago, Jmystro said:

Anyway to print a CLM schedule that looks similar to KHS?

I'd like to change the template, too.  

On 1/7/2021 at 8:54 PM, BPelder said:

I've been using OCLM Software and have been satisfied with it.  Can anyone chime in on the pros & cons between both?

I don't know anything about OCLM, but a pro for JWS is that there is an app that the members can download and install on their mobile device.  The app is read-only but allows access to everything that was normally on the information board.  

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

a pro for JWS is that there is an app that the members can download and install on their mobile device.  The app is read-only but allows access to everything that was normally on the information board.  

Our Congregation is taking full advantage of this app/feature.  It has been working quite well!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Our current setup is that schedules and announcements are made into PDFs, and posted on the congregation's Whatsapp group or sent via email.  It is very simple way of sending information to the brothers and sisters during this time.  So what is advantages of using this app? 

Number of questions, Do you use the free account or paid?  Do you have it setup for all elders, or just one? 

Even though data is stored locally, some data must be online for the publishers app to work or for all elders to use it?  Or have I got that wrong?  Is personal data stored online?  What about data back-up?

Are you using it just for the current situation?  Or plan to continue when things get back to "normal"?

On 1/13/2021 at 11:24 AM, On the huh said:

Our current setup is that schedules and announcements are made into PDFs, and posted on the congregation's Whatsapp group or sent via email.  It is very simple way of sending information to the brothers and sisters during this time.  So what is advantages of using this app? 

Number of questions, Do you use the free account or paid?  Do you have it setup for all elders, or just one? 

Even though data is stored locally, some data must be online for the publishers app to work or for all elders to use it?  Or have I got that wrong?  Is personal data stored online?  What about data back-up?

Are you using it just for the current situation?  Or plan to continue when things get back to "normal"?

The program allow you to do that very easily. You can Schudle and send the assignments and the program automatically by email. The moBile ap is very useful for last minute changes. 

All data is stored on your local computer and is encrypted. It does not store any confidential data online. 

Each time you close JW Scheduler , an Automatic Backup is made on your local computer.Buy you can do manual Backup at any moment.

On 1/15/2021 at 10:39 AM, Jf800 said:

All data is stored on your local computer and is encrypted. It does not store any confidential data online. 

Then how does it automatically share the confidential data with the other elders?

The software is interconnected.  There must be a central cloud somewhere.  Each time I log into the software it updates the data.  Whenever I make a change I have to upload that data when I log out of the program.

Maybe a central cloud is a wrong term.  However it's done, the software is synced to everyone that has access to it.

Edited by Shawnster

I'm now the overseer for the LCM and was suggested to use TMwin software. It looks to outdated so I've been searching for a new one. After looking into several choices, my opinion is that JW Scheduler is the best. One single thing that helped the decision (besides several advantages) is that I can import all student data from excell, which no other can (it can also import from all the other soft)

I'll suggest the coordinator and secretary to use it to

22 hours ago, Shawnster said:

The software is interconnected.  There must be a central cloud somewhere.  Each time I log into the software it updates the data.  Whenever I make a change I have to upload that data when I log out of the program.

Maybe a central cloud is a wrong term.  However it's done, the software is synced to everyone that has access to it.

That is what concerns me. Personal data is not supposed to be stored in the cloud.

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

That is what concerns me. Personal data is not supposed to be stored in the cloud.

On their frequently asked questions page there is this question and answer:

Yes. All data is stored on your local computer and is encrypted. Congregation Sharing does not store any confidential data online, therefore is fully compliant with sfl. Congregation Sharing is also fully compliant with the strict European GDPR Privacy Laws, since the data is never accessed by anyone outside of the European Union.

Then their How does Congregation Sharing work? page says the following:

How does Congregation Sharing work?

JW Scheduler Congregation Sharing allows you to automatically share and synchronize all JW Scheduler data with other approved brothers in your congregation.

Congregation Sharing does not store any confidential or sensitive data online, therefore is fully compliant with sfl. Congregation Sharing is also fully compliant with the strict European GDPR Privacy laws.

JW Scheduler maintains 5 Congregation Sharing Transfer Servers: North America East (located in South Carolina), North America Central (located in Oklahoma), North America West (located in Los Angeles), Asia Pacific (located in Sydney) and Europe (located in Frankfurt).

Standard Data

Before non-confidential standard data is shared, all personal information is fully removed, then the data is encrypted, and finally access is restricted to only those approved and authenticated by the congregation.

For example:

• Elder A opens JW Scheduler on his own computer, and schedules a Christian Life and Ministry Meeting part.
  • JW Scheduler converts this to computer code.
  • JW Scheduler removes all personal information.
  • JW Scheduler encrypts the computer code.
  • JW Scheduler creates a secure connection to your selected Transfer Server.
  • JW Scheduler uploads this obfuscated and encrypted data to your secured congregation folder on the transfer server.
  • Elder B opens JW Scheduler on his computer. His computer authenticates with the Transfer Server using the Congregation ID and Congregation Password and his Member PIN.
  • If authenticated, his computer creates a secure connection to your congregation folder and checks for updated data.
  • If updated data is detected, the obfuscated and encrypted data is retrieved from the JW Scheduler Transfer Server.
  • JW Scheduler decrypts the data.
  • JW Scheduler updates his local data with the new data.
JW Scheduler Congregation Sharing How does Congregation Sharing work Diagram 1

Personal Information

Sharing Personal Information works differently. We use a simple and secure transfer system (similar to email, but with many advantages).

For example:

• Elder A opens JW Scheduler on his own computer, and changes the address of a publisher.
  • JW Scheduler converts this to computer code.
  • JW Scheduler encrypts the computer code.
  • JW Scheduler creates a secure connection to your selected Transfer Server.
  • JW Scheduler uploads this encrypted data to the “mailbox” of all other Shared elders.
  • Elder B opens JW Scheduler on his computer. His computer authenticates with the Transfer Server using the Congregation ID and Congregation Password and his Member PIN.
  • If authenticated, his computer creates a secure connection to your congregation folder and checks his mailbox for updated data.
  • If updated data is detected, the encrypted data is retrieved from the JW Scheduler Transfer Server, and immediately and permanently deleted from his mailbox.
  • JW Scheduler decrypts the data.
  • JW Scheduler updates his local data with the new data.

This works similar to Email, with the following advantages:

1. Email data is not encrypted, JW Scheduler data is.
  2. Even after an Email is received, the data remains on the Email server. JW Scheduler personal information data does not, it is immediately deleted.
  3. Even if you delete Email data, it stays on the email server for a period of time. JW Scheduler data doesn’t, it is immediately and permanently removed.
  4. Email company administrator staff have access to read all emails. JW Scheduler developers or support cannot.
  5. Many email servers have built-in “back doors” to allow governments and other agencies to read your data. (e.g. Gmail, Hotmail, etc). JW Scheduler does not. No one can read your data except authenticated congregation members.

Sharing Security and Privacy

JW Scheduler takes data privacy and security very seriously. We feel that your congregation and member data is yours, and should be fully secure at all times.

Congregation Sharing implements the following security practices:

1. All data is always encrypted, both when the program is open and closed, when data is sent or received, and when the data is stored.
    • Note: JW Scheduler uses a 128-bit key, CipherMode CBC and PaddingMode PKCS7.
    • Note: Data transfer uses HTTPS connections, so it’s encrypted on the transport layer (known as TLS).
  2. JW Scheduler developers or support personnel cannot view or edit your data.
  3. Our Sharing Transfer servers are fully secured by Congregation ID, Congregation Password and Member PIN, only allowing your approved congregation members to transfer data to other congregation members.
  4. If you Disable Sharing, all your encrypted data is permanently removed from the Sharing Server.
  5. Congregation Sharing has been designed to be fully compliant with sfl.

This looks amazing!  I sent a link to the secretary and CLM overseer to see what they think.  Would make everything so much easier.  We're currently using KHS and Hourglass for assignments and service time reporting, but this appears to be smoother.  

Plus it's much, much cheaper (although KHS waives the fee for full-time servants, whereas JWS doesn't.)!

I think we're going to give this a try.  Thanks for the heads up! 

:D

So it does store personal information on the transfer server for a period of time until the data is retrieved. And multiple copies are stored, one for each elder. I would love to use it but the organization doesn't make a distinction between encrypted data and unencrypted data or the length of time its being stored. The data is being stored on a server on the internet that we elders nor the organization has control over. If it was a peer to peer solution I could approve that. The sfl says online storage can be used for items such as what would be posted on the information board. A publisher's address would never be on the information board and that is the example JW Scheduler used. I imagine the same would be true of phone numbers and email addresses.