JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Russia invades Ukraine

21 hours ago, Sofia said:

There must be a reason WHY NOW it’s happening

we will discover soon

Not sure if you mean WHY NOW "in the stream of time"  or,  WHY NOW on February 24, 2022 ?

To the latter,  it was a safe bet that Putin wouldn't cause a big distraction from the Beijing olympics.  Spoil Xi Jinping's moment in the spotlight.

But, it would need to be before the spring thaw, while the ground was frozen and heavy equipment could travel.  Weather has been a wild card for armies and battle plans as long as there have been wars.

Putin waited until the Olympics ended on February 20, but he didn't delay much more.  I thought he launched his attack on 2/22/2022 (possibly some symbolism there?) , but our jw.org states it was 2/24/2022.

February 23rd is defender of the fatherland day in Russia.

It is a public holiday, a day off for most people. Schools and most businesses are closed.

Know this my beloved brothers, I am not a native English speaker.

Please be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger. (James 1:19)

I've been curious about Babylon the Great's role in Russia's motivations and this article and the links within filled in quite a few details, both with the religious motivation for this invasion and the intense persecution of our brothers.

https://topsecretumbra.substack.com/p/putins-attack-on-ukraine-is-a-religious

My TLDR: Modern Russia isn't the 'Godless Communists' that some think of, they're closely allied with the Russian Orthodox Church (ROC) for power and control. A separate Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) was formed with Ukraine's independence, angering Russians because the ROC was founded in Kyiv. Additionally, the UOC was endorsed by various western politicians and could be viewed as under American influence and weakening Russian influence in Ukraine. Obviously these aren't the sole reasons for invasion, they just add the component of religion to the other factors that are discussed at length in the world's news.

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Not sure if you mean WHY NOW "in the stream of time"  or,  WHY NOW on February 24, 2022 ?

To the latter,  it was a safe bet that Putin wouldn't cause a big distraction from the Beijing olympics.  Spoil Xi Jinping's moment in the spotlight.

But, it would need to be before the spring thaw, while the ground was frozen and heavy equipment could travel.  Weather has been a wild card for armies and battle plans as long as there have been wars.

Putin waited until the Olympics ended on February 20, but he didn't delay much more.  I thought he launched his attack on 2/22/2022 (possibly some symbolism there?) , but our jw.org states it was 2/24/2022.

Yes, why on this date, on this year? 8 years after Invading Crimea....

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

2 minutes ago, Sofia said:

Apparently he was preparing to create a safenet to face the economic sanctions that would come after the invasion.

He seems to have succed has the sanctions are not doing any harm to them. They have billions prepared to face anything

2 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Apparently he was preparing to create a safenet to face the economic sanctions that would come after the invasion.

He seems to have succed has the sanctions are not doing any harm to them. They have billions prepared to face anything

It makes a lot of sense. It takes a lot of patience to carry out a plan after so many years preparing it. The man is 70 years old. Does he think he´s ethernal ?!

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

just now in Portuguese news chanel

a brother in Slovakia was by casual caught in camera during a report about volunteering to receive Ukraine refugees 

take a look how the brother looks for JW refugees…

60D5D943-B489-4108-BDAD-AB42574CA474.jpeg

We are obviously strictly neutral at all times,  but it’s hard not to admire the heart and courage of the Ukrainians against overwhelming odds. I mean, they never asked for any of this.
And they don’t know any better.. of course their first instinct here is to fight back to protect homes & families.

If an intruder broke into a Christian man’s home and threatened the family, it’s probably not going to end with coffee & a Bible study.

Hopefully the bloodshed does not spiral out of control.

I can’t even imagine being in a situation like this.. the adrenaline must be pumping 24/7

Edited by Susan Cook

1 hour ago, -Chris- said:

I've been curious about Babylon the Great's role in Russia's motivations and this article and the links within filled in quite a few details, both with the religious motivation for this invasion and the intense persecution of our brothers.

https://topsecretumbra.substack.com/p/putins-attack-on-ukraine-is-a-religious

My TLDR: Modern Russia isn't the 'Godless Communists' that some think of, they're closely allied with the Russian Orthodox Church (ROC) for power and control. A separate Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) was formed with Ukraine's independence, angering Russians because the ROC was founded in Kyiv. Additionally, the UOC was endorsed by various western politicians and could be viewed as under American influence and weakening Russian influence in Ukraine. Obviously these aren't the sole reasons for invasion, they just add the component of religion to the other factors that are discussed at length in the world's news.

More here…. 🤔🤔🤔

https://christianchronicle.org/russia-attacks-ukraine-why-some-experts-insist-putin-is-motivated-by-religion/

49 minutes ago, Sofia said:

a brother in Slovakia was by casual caught in camera during a report about volunteering to receive Ukraine refugees 

I've seen this, but made me wonder... Is the preaching work open in Slovakia or was it an isolated decision by that brother?

Edited by jayrtom

1 hour ago, Sofia said:

Reading Putin's speech transcript, I think that he took very seriously the threat from Zelensky in his speech last saturday at the Munich Security Conference, where he threatned to procure nuclear weapons and change Ukraine nuclear status.

Know this my beloved brothers, I am not a native English speaker.

Please be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger. (James 1:19)

1 hour ago, Sofia said:

Who would have thought that we would use the carts for this purpose. 

1 hour ago, Sofia said:

I don’t think he’s using the cart to preach as I don’t see literature… I would say that he’s using it as a visible presence so that other brothers and sisters will see it much easier then just holding up a sign?

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

53 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

I've seen this, but made me wonder... Is the preaching work open in Slovakia or was it an isolated decision by that brother?

He s not preaching, Joao

he may be standing waiting for Jw to pass by to help them

1 hour ago, Anniebea said:

I don’t think he’s using the cart to preach as I don’t see literature… I would say that he’s using it as a visible presence so that other brothers and sisters will see it much easier then just holding up a sign?

Like this? Moldova

our brotherhood is a miracle ❤️

74E21229-7565-403C-8689-FAA2633EAFEA.jpeg

AB3E50E8-4987-44CB-B0CF-D8B33BE4B1F3.jpeg

3 hours ago, Sofia said:

It looks like our Brother is standing just next to the Hall, I can see our JW.ORG sign in the upper right corner...

https://www.christianpost.com/news/evangelical-decries-orthodox-rift-underlying-russia-ukraine-saga.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Other, non-Orthodox Christians noted how Christians on both sides are fighting: “Tanks are rolling down from Russia, Russian Orthodox priests are blessing the tanks,” while “Ukrainian Orthodox priests are blessing the Ukrainian soldiers to fight against Russia.

"A Christian radio broadcaster in Ukraine is calling on Christians in Ukraine and Russia to unite as tensions between the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and the Russian Orthodox Church materialize against the backdrop of a simmering conflict between the two countries."

1 hour ago, Sofia said:

Like this? Moldova

our brotherhood is a miracle ❤️

74E21229-7565-403C-8689-FAA2633EAFEA.jpeg

AB3E50E8-4987-44CB-B0CF-D8B33BE4B1F3.jpeg

Do you have a source for these pics?

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

4 hours ago, Susan Cook said:

We are obviously strictly neutral at all times,  but it’s hard not to admire the heart and courage of the Ukrainians against overwhelming odds. I mean, they never asked for any of this.

That is true, we can also think of the 13 poor border guards whose reply to the Russian warship was defiant but unprintable. Sadly their bravery is for part of Satan's system and he has no respect for humans.

I suppose one thing we can take from this is that if they can be brave with only an arm of flesh how brave should we be with Jehovah of Armies on our side? And if they can endure such conditions with no real hope what will we endure to be loyal to our great God? 

The deaths, I'm sure they upset us all. I take comfort remembering that Hades follows the Four Horsemen in Revelation so Jehovah may show his mercy to many of these people in the resurrection.

For now, I'm going to be tired getting up for our meeting this morning, but with what they're going through I won't be complaining.