JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #4

2 hours ago, carlos said:

That's the problem with those who are constantly raising so many expectations. That is the same that is probably going to happen with the August WT or the Annual Meeting. Some members run around saying it's going to be some extraordinary revelation. Then when we get the information, instead of enjoying it, we feel disappointed.

Yes. I worry about that too. It could lead to such disappointment.

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

56 minutes ago, Sofia said:

I was amazed with great experiences!

Romans 12:21 in action. Good points to think about in the near future, when we face similar trials.

And Matthew 24:14, "for a witness" (study note), with our words, manners, conduct... we can give a fine witness to anyone and everyone. The brothers did it, to a taxi driver, judge, lawyers, customers, bank personnel, passersby...

No let downs with this GB Update, thanks to Jehovah.

Edited by Ysaias

I put myself in the shoes of the imprisoned brothers and I was imagining them... their reaction when they know that the Update remembers them and that brothers around the world will be praying for them.

This Update showed how Jehovah cares individually for each of his servants.

1 hour ago, Alikay said:

La expectativa pospuesta eso es lo que a uno enferma. Ay que cierto. Siempre es mejor vivir con la realidad de los tiempos. Puedes y nunca te equivocarás. 

I think we should not exaggerate, the disciples of Jesus had very high expectations, namely, they believed that the Kingdom of God was already being established at that time (Acts 1:6). I think it is almost natural to sometimes have very high expectations, it is the price of being "vigilant" or "alert" and that sometimes you can go over the line and other times not reach, but fall short. Conclusion: let everyone act as he/she wants, it is the conscience that dictates one way or the other.
But I understand what you say.

55 minutes ago, Dages said:

That brother story about being tortured and tazed... we need to pray for them... :( 

And what a nasty trick. You know that the prison itself was in on it, most likely at the instigation of government or military people. Why would the prisoners be looking for info unless they were prodded to do so?

Woe to the Pharaoh’s and Tiglath-pileser‘s of the world!

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

I havenʼt been able to download #4 yet. But, i just read it! (I thank you kindly, brother Chew!)

I thought it was wonderful. Jehovah is letting our dear imprisoned brothers and sisters know He hasnʼt forgotten them, and just maybe we needed reminded just how valuable they are in the scheme of things.

We putt along, perhaps preoccupied with mundane things. 
Our prayers are powerful, and, we want them to stay faithful until Jehovahʼs angel releases them. To a certian extent, they are on the forefront of the battle lines. 
Of course, we are there too, but not in such a personal way.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

1 hour ago, trottigy said:

The slave is also really encouraging us to GO IN PERSON to the convention if at all possible 

When we ALL SING TOGETHER IN CHORUS is simply amazing 

so encouraging 

You can’t feel that at home streaming 

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

With the GB update with Br. Herd posted on JW.ORG and on JW Library everyone can watch a copy.

Just finished watching here downunder. Rose around 5.30am checked jw.org and there it was.  Those sisters, wow, still smiling despite their ordeal.  I liked Heb 13:3.

Also I did notice bros at convention still wearing suits and ties.  

15 hours ago, johnnyjw01 said:

The part when the sisters wrote letters for the officials and also personalized them really touched me.

Do I forgive and show goodness to my enemies to this point? Something to ponder on… 

Same, but for me I'm focussing on do I show goodness to my enemies?

Saturday is my meeting day, and so that almost got in the way of my viewing of GB Update #4. But I'm up to date now. Someone mentioned a few posts back that some are having trouble following through on the latest customs for Jehovah's people. Such as: Many brothers at the conventions are still wearing ties! And sisters are still wearing skirts! What do you suppose we can do to help them keep up to date?

Although, we do have to give credit where it is due. These two brothers are not wearing ties or jackets, so they're already in the swing of things.

SC02.thumb.jpg.484234266bdba3a8ff06103a8c8b4972.jpg

But I definitely saw one location where the brothers are just not making any attempt to keep up with the times, in South Korea! Look at this:

SK02.thumb.jpg.e0c67b7c787cf5194c8b30ffc14e0c2e.jpg

Do you see? How many Korean brothers are wearing beards in this photo? I can't see so much as even one! Brother Sanderson seems to be the only one in the photo who is setting the right example here! The other brothers seem oblivious to the recent changes and are not keeping up. Why is this?

Okay, granted. Korea is not really a place where men are prone to sprout a beard. All right, I can understand that. So in that case, why can't Brother Sanderson, "When in Korea, do as the Koreans do"? So, who, really, is not setting the right example in this photo?—Compare 1 Corinthianish 8:10 & 11: "For if anyone should see you who have knowledge wearing a beard in Korea, will not the conscience of that one who is weak be emboldened to the point of starting to grow a beard? So by your knowledge the man who was shaved is being ruined, your brother for whose sake Christ died."

Or, did I miss something...?

Edited by Sheep

Maybe 🤔 Koreans don’t usualy wear beards…?

do any of these serve in prison?

maybe they want to stand out as different…

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

1 hour ago, Sheep said:

Do you see? How many Korean brothers are wearing beards in this photo? I can't see so much as even one! Brother Sanderson seems to be the only one in the photo who is setting the right example here! The other brothers seem oblivious to the recent changes and are not keeping up. Why is this?

Okay, granted. Korea is not really a place where men are prone to sprout a beard. All right, I can understand that. So in that case, why can't Brother Sanderson, "When in Korea, do as the Koreans do"? So, who, really, is not setting the right example in this photo?—Compare 1 Corinthianish 8:10 & 11: "For if anyone should see you who have knowledge wearing a beard in Korea, will not the conscience of that one who is weak be emboldened to the point of starting to grow a beard? So by your knowledge the man who was shaved is being ruined, your brother for whose sake Christ died."

I'm sorry, I am a bit confused about what was trying to be conveyed here. Perhaps it could be the mistranslation or something else.

I am well aware that beards are not common for most Asians living in Asia. As an Asian person myself, we tend to look much older when we have a beard, and the current fashion trend in Asia is to look young, not old. Hence, almost nobody chooses to wear a beard because we look old if we do so. However, it does not mean no Asian ever wear a beard; there are still some who choose to do so if they want to. It's just not very common.

I also choose not to wear a beard because it makes me look older and I do not like nor wanted to look old. And it causes me to have acne as well.

Regarding the recent changes announced in the update, I thought it was simply a clarification of whether it is allowed to wear a beard or not. So, for those who wanted to have a beard, they can do so now; and for those who don't want to have a beard is still fine.

Edited by gusdn1

"For love is as strong as death is." - Song of Solomon 8:6

JWPUBS

1 hour ago, Sheep said:

Saturday is my meeting day, and so that almost got in the way of my viewing of GB Update #4. But I'm up to date now. Someone mentioned a few posts back that some are having trouble following through on the latest customs for Jehovah's people. Such as: Many brothers at the conventions are still wearing ties! And sisters are still wearing skirts! What do you suppose we can do to help them keep up to date?

Although, we do have to give credit where it is due. These two brothers are not wearing ties or jackets, so they're already in the swing of things.

But I definitely saw one location where the brothers are just not making any attempt to keep up with the times, in South Korea! Look at this:

This is NOT a mandatory requirement. Will young people have beards? Think for yourself. Young brothers with beards, how would they look in the 40s or 50s?

It is important to avoid thinking that wearing a beard is a rule.

The same goes for ties and jackets, many people like this style of clothing. The same applies to skirts at meetings. One sister (who is in her 70s) said that for her wearing pants to a meeting is disrespectful to God. And I completely agree with this opinion. It is unusual for me to see some sisters at the meeting wearing pants.

However, I respect everyone's decision.

2 hours ago, Sheep said:

‘Feel free to write Bro Sanderson a personal letter with your question. For sure you should be able to get an answer from him. The same way we have questions from readers. I can’t in anyway see you being disrespectful or pointing fingers at him. Good observation comes with good answers when directed to the right person. 

Edited by Alikay

3 hours ago, Sheep said:

So in that case, why can't Brother Sanderson, "When in Korea, do as the Koreans do"? So, who, really, is not setting the right example in this photo?—Compare 1 Corinthianish 8:10 & 11: "For if anyone should see you who have knowledge wearing a beard in Korea, will not the conscience of that one who is weak be emboldened to the point of starting to grow a beard? So by your knowledge the man who was shaved is being ruined, your brother for whose sake Christ died."

Everyone not realized yet this was a tongue in cheek comment?

😂

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”