JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My off topic thread

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

For some reason a bunch of daffodils came with our groceries.

#AccidentalRomantic

#HappyAnniversaryForAugustDear

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

• 5 months later...

I think I’m definitely cracking up.

Emma: “Could you get me my chicken pasta thing from the other room please?”

Me: “Okay. Don’t distract me.” 
*Walks into other room flapping arms so I don’t forget what I’m doing.*

*Starts making quacking noises.*

On 6/12/2015 at 9:19 PM, MizPeg said:

One thing I find disgusting is cooked okra. That is, cooked in water, broth, or whatever. Okra is a southern staple.

Maybe I should have returned to Michigan, where venison is available, in the Autumn. But I will pass on the rabbit on the menu. Too cute of a dietary fill in.     

Eewwww, I can't stand okra!! I remember the first time eating the stuff and it turned my sister and I completely off!! It reminded us of spit. Ok, I'll be nice so it reminded us of saliva. But it's still Eewwww!!

And while we're at it, another thing that's Eewww is chittlings or hog maws (spelling). I mean really, y'all do know what that comes from right? Yep, EEWWWWWW!! 

Edited by Luezette

Back in the 70's and 80's I used to hang wallpaper - we used to say how the wallpaper paste looked (and felt) like boiled okra.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

One of my favorite vegetables. Spicy stir fry prawns with ladies fingers. One can never go wrong with this versatile vegetable.

Sayur%2BBendi.jpg

A good filler food, okra not only curbs hunger but keeps you from tiring, too. It also strengthens your immunity against conditions like diabetes, high cholesterol, Alzheimer’s, liver disease, breast cancer, and asthma. Being rich in vitamins A, C, and K, it helps fortify bones while also improving your eyesight.

https://www.curejoy.com/content/health-benefits-of-okra/

12 Health Benefits Of Okra That Will Make You Love Greens

Edited by M'Awan

16 hours ago, M'Awan said:

One of my favorite vegetables. Spicy stir fry prawns with ladies fingers. One can never go wrong with this versatile vegetable.

Sayur%2BBendi.jpg

https://www.curejoy.com/content/health-benefits-of-okra/

12 Health Benefits Of Okra That Will Make You Love Greens

I'm actually quite better at hanging wallcovering than at eating okra. Do you think swallowing up wallpaper paste will have the same benefits? Don't even get me started on prawns.

I try to add ginger, chili, garlic in all my meals in some way. I'd probably replace Snowpeas with okra or something similar. 

Just now, Luezette said:

How come?

Don't know Luezette just one of those vegetables we don't have here. I'm sure we have some you don't either. Maybe to ship it here means it goes off maybe? And perhaps too cold to grow it? Not sure. I can't even find the seeds.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

1 minute ago, Stormswift said:

I try to add ginger, chili, garlic in all my meals in some way. I'd probably replace Snowpeas with okra or something similar. 

Don't know Luezette just one of those vegetables we don't have here. I'm sure we have some you don't either. Maybe to ship it here means it goes off maybe? And perhaps too cold to grow it? Not sure. I can't even find the seeds.

i'll ship them and make good money out if it. :D 

you make anything out of it if they have gone off by the time they get here. There's a vege place here who has unusual veges/fruit - they possibly have it, but their reputation in selling vegetables on the verge of going off it is well known - so I'd rather find a substitute than buy some less than fresh vege.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

https://myfoodstory.com/how-to-cook-okra-bhindi-so-its-not-slimy/

Picking the Right Okra

Never buy Okra in a packet. It’s important that you handpick them while buying. Look for tender, slim, blemish free fingers which are soft and smooth to touch. Press them lightly between your fingers and if they are smooth, it means that there are fewer seeds. Make sure there are no holes on the surface because holes = worms.

Wash and Dry

The stickiness in Okra is caused by something called mucilage, which is also found in Aloe Vera. This mucilage intensifies when in contact with liquid.

It’s important to wash Okra, irrespective of what anyone says to you to get rid of any dirt or chemicals still stuck to the skin. But what’s more important is to dry it well before cooking. Wash uncut Okra under running water, and then pat it dry with a cloth towel before cutting. This is the most important step in making sure you have non-slimy Okra.

Make sure your hands are dry while cutting the Okra. It’s as important to wipe your hands dry as it is to dry the Okra before cutting it. Also make sure the knife and the chopping board are dry. Basically, no contact with water while cutting. There will be some slime while cutting it, but just ignore it and move on.

Add a Souring Agent

This is the best way to ensure that you have non-slimy Okra at the end of the cooking process. Within 5-10 minutes of adding Okra to the pan, add a souring agent of choice or based on the recipe you choose. This can be lemon juice, vinegar, amchoor (raw mango powder) or even tamarind. The souring agent immediately cuts the sliminess, and ensures sure the greens are tender and crisp.

Do not Cover

The thumb rule is not to cover Okra. Why? It’s simple – covering a dish while cooking traps steam and increases moisture. And by now, we know that moisture = slimy okra. So avoid covering the pan while making any kind of Okra stir fry.

Add Salt in the End

This rule again goes back to making sure there is minimal moisture while cooking Okra. Salt releases moisture or water in anything, be it vegetable or meat. And even more so in Okra, so it’s important that you add salt right towards the end of the cooking process.

How to Cook Okra Fry

One of my favorite Okra preparations is a simple bhindi fry. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons Oil in a pan, and add 250 grams sliced Okra to it. Saute on high heat for 2-3 minutes, and add 1 teaspoon amchoor (raw mango powder), 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder. Cook on medium flame for 10-15 minutes, while stirring occasionally till the bhindi (okra) is cooked through, but still crisp. Mix in salt and switch off the flame.

Note : Okra has a rich source of anti-oxidants, B vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium, and manganese and it is also an excellent demulcent; the reason it is so beneficial for anyone with a stomach ulcer.

https://theheartysoul.com/okra-ulcer-treatment/

I didn't like okra as a child, one of those days I was told to keep living.  As an adult I love me some okra. Love them in beans, greens or fried alone with fried or baked meat.  😛

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

Can't stand okra. Nope, not gonna happen. That said I'd use the shrimp and couple it with asparagus and cauliflower medallions. (An amazing recipe that is so close to potato pancakes!)

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

Can't stand okra. Nope, not gonna happen. That said I'd use the shrimp and couple it with asparagus and cauliflower medallions. (An amazing recipe that is so close to potato pancakes!)

My recipe for cauliflower medallions don't include chia seeds.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

On 8/26/2019 at 3:54 PM, Loopy said:

I love chia seeds. Pudding you name it 😋

Yes .. im going to make some raspberry jam using stevia, raspberries (obvoiusly lol) and chia seeds.