JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!

8 hours ago, Sepie93 said:

995 languages
Not sure which one is added, though.

Namakura.  3rd language recently added from the Pacific island country Vanuatu located in the South Pacific Ocean. Specifically spoken in Shefa Province, north Efate, Tongoa, and Tongariki by 3,800 people.

Introductions for the Ministry video

I'm thinking maybe they are doing the 1000 before the memorial for the a special witness: Many websites will speak about how we are the first website ever to be translated in 1000 languages, that would be very nice and people may want to attend the Memorial.

Last chance :D 

Edited by Dages

9 hours ago, Tortuga said:

9 hours ago, Skye said:

Which one’s been added? 

The Cuebo language (also spelled Cuevo) is the language spoken by the Cubeo people in the Vaupés province, the Cuduyari and Querarí Rivers and their tributaries in Colombia, and in Brazil and Venezuela.

Native speakers: 6,300 (2009)

Content: Video - Why Study the Bible? 

3 hours ago, Bjern said:

Oh my, that was quick!

So surprised and 

7 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

:ecstatic:

myself

Just four more languages & we’ve reached 1,000!! Can you believe it! ONE THOUSAND languages...wow! I can barely name 30 or so...

this just out on our website: 

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=502019656&srcid=share

Now 973 languages...

Edited by Jothob

1 hour ago, Jothob said:

this just out on our website: 

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=502019656&srcid=share

Now 973 languages...

Oh well, that does make sense that they are doing that. At least when we finally reach 1,000 nobody will be able to dispute it, since technically different scripts of a single language are still the same language.

Assyrio-Chaldean ?? Just in case we need it to teach AsherBanipol ??
To be honest.. In the field I work in, we are actually meeting people who still speak Chaldean, Assyrian and such. Last Friday I spoke to a man who speaks the Chaldean dialect. Jehovah doesn't forget them

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Sepie93 said:

To be honest.. In the field I work in, we are actually meeting people who still speak Chaldean, Assyrian and such. Last Friday I spoke to a man who speaks the Chaldean dialect. Jehovah doesn't forget thememoji173.png

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

Both wonderful and amazing 

I think it’s funny that we’ve all been ‘watching the DVD screensaver to see it bounce exactly from the corner’ and then right at the last minute the number goes down.

😆

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

23 minutes ago, JPWRana said:

Which 23 languages were removed? 

imho: 996 last count +1new language = 997 - 24 = 973 

None have been removed. There are 997 different choices. You can still say, make the choice of Serbian (Cyrillic) српски (ћирилица) or Serbian (Roman) srpski (latinica)

Perhaps someone will have an idea which 24 scripts are not counted.

If the script being different ( the written versions are going to be understood by different people although the spoken language is the same ) . Sign language is different from region to region with different and unique signs ( sometimes very different. Sometimes one handed sometimes two. ) Should we think of all the different sign language variations as just one language? Or many? 

25 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

If the script being different ( the written versions are going to be understood by different people although the spoken language is the same ) . Sign language is different from region to region with different and unique signs ( sometimes very different. Sometimes one handed sometimes two. ) Should we think of all the different sign language variations as just one language? Or many? 

It really wouldn't work at all to consider such languages as Chinese mainland sign language, Japanese sign language, Russian sign language, British sign language, American sign language, etc., all as one language, especially since these different language groups don't understand eachother.

• Dages changed the title to JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!