JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!

18 hours ago, Arumuga Raja said:

May i know where did get this picture? 

A brother here created a “Shortcut” (script) that runs on Apple devices. In this thread somewhere I think.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

27 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Will we be changing the title to 990 now?

It's not over 990 yet....👍

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 9/28/2019 at 12:22 AM, Sepie93 said:

Gedeo is a highland east cushitic language of the Afro-Asiatic family spoken in south central Ethiopia. Alternate names for the language include Derasa, Deresa, Darassa, Geddeo, Derasanya, Darasa. It is spoken by the Gedeo people, who live in the highland area, southwest of Dila and east of Lake Abaya.

Lebanese Sign Language removed

Tucano, also Tukano or Tucana, endonym Dahseyé, is a Tucanoan language spoken in Amazonas, Brazil and Colombia. Many Tariana people, speakers of the endangered Tariana language are switching to Tucano.

Some of the languages that were added a few months ago still do not have anything except for two or three leaflets or videos. For example, I have been keeping an eye on Kumyk, spoken in the North Caucuses, because I can understand it a lot. Then there is the Horezm dialect of Uzbek, which it turns out I can also understand well.  

There is also Chechen, which I do not understand it, but I still wanted to know if there were any publications in it, because it would be a sign that there are Chechen brothers.

The Chechens are known for being very Muslim and are violently against conversions to other faiths. Surprisingly, I have found two Chechen congs in Central Europe. So that means there are some brothers who might have risked life and limb by accepting the truth. 

What was even more surprising was the number of Arabic congs all over Europe. The cong map is dotted with those orange flags when I search for Arabic on jw.org. I guess that is because of the huge influx of Arabic-speaking refugees. However, I could not understand why there are 6 Arabic congs in Ukraine. Then I remembered that Ukrainian girls are famous for their beauty in the Middle East, and probably many Arab men go there hunting for wives. Actually, it is not just the Arabs, it seems that men from all over the world go there to try their fortunes with local girls. :) 

4 hours ago, Bek said:

Some of the languages that were added a few months ago still do not have anything except for two or three leaflets or videos. For example, I have been keeping an eye on Kumyk, spoken in the North Caucuses, because I can understand it a lot. Then there is the Horezm dialect of Uzbek, which it turns out I can also understand well.  

There is also Chechen, which I do not understand it, but I still wanted to know if there were any publications in it, because it would be a sign that there are Chechen brothers.

The Chechens are known for being very Muslim and are violently against conversions to other faiths. Surprisingly, I have found two Chechen congs in Central Europe. So that means there are some brothers who might have risked life and limb by accepting the truth. 

What was even more surprising was the number of Arabic congs all over Europe. The cong map is dotted with those orange flags when I search for Arabic on jw.org. I guess that is because of the huge influx of Arabic-speaking refugees. However, I could not understand why there are 6 Arabic congs in Ukraine. Then I remembered that Ukrainian girls are famous for their beauty in the Middle East, and probably many Arab men go there hunting for wives. Actually, it is not just the Arabs, it seems that men from all over the world go there to try their fortunes with local girls. :) 

So am I to understand that Bek understands Uzbek?

Ona more serious note : The Brothers and Sisters coming in from Islam are so very admirable. It truly touches my heart to hear of it. Yourself included. 

As for the Ukrainian women’s beauty. I read that as a group they are considered the MOST physically beautiful. Paradoxically, one of my coworkers ( who is married to a Ukrainian and makes trips to Ukraine to visit her family) says the men are not all that handsome. 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by BenJepthah

36 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

So am I to understand that Bek understands Uzbek?

Ona more serious note : The Brothers and Sisters coming in from Islam are so very admirable. It truly touches my heart to hear of it. Yourself included. 

As for the Ukrainian women’s beauty. I read that as a group they are considered the MOST physically beautiful. Paradoxically, one of my coworkers ( who is married to a Ukrainian and makes trips to Ukraine to visit her family) says the men are not all that handsome. 🤷‍♂️ 

Yes, I understand Uzbek, because it is related to Kyrgyz. There are other Turkic and Slavic languages that are mutually understandable. In some cases, you can understand related languages right away and in some cases, you may need to practise listening for a few days or weeks to get used to the sounds, you will be able to understand all or most of it. 

Yes, I heard about the looks of Ukrainian men, but the mentality is very different in Russian-speaking countries when it comes to men's physical looks. In the West, women see a man's looks as a top priority while, for example, in Ukraine, women often tend to look at intelligence, wealth or earning power, manliness, leadership and so on. Looks are also important, but they are not high on the list. I have seen a video on YouTube where an American pickup coach living in Ukraine who talks about the cultural differences around dating, and he warns Western men not to think too much of their own looks, because they are not as important to Russian-speaking girls. 

Edited by Bek

added a sentence.

9 hours ago, Arumuga Raja said:

991 languages

The Sasak people live mainly on the island of Lombok, Indonesia, numbering around 3.6 million. They are related to the Balinese in language and ancestry, although the Sasak are predominantly Muslim while the Balinese are predominantly Hindu. 

Spoiler

😀 As we said earlier this year : only 9 to go till the milestone of a 1.000 languages 😉

Edited by humblebumblebee

made it readible in dark mode

On 10/1/2019 at 9:22 PM, BenJepthah said:

Like a herd of turtles..

Nine languages short of 1000.  Remind me what Google translator does again??

Google has $billions but it doesn’t have love.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

On 11/4/2018 at 3:45 AM, digital_dreamer said:

New update: JW Website Languages v2.2.shortcut

Fixed bug where it didn’t notice there was only a single new language announcement on WOL. The brothers are thorough and clever enough to display “New language available” when there is one language to announce, instead of “New languages available.” Script only looked for “New languages available.”

Sample for those unable to use shortcut: JW Languages List.html

Brother Michael, the Shortcut no longer works in iOS 13/iPadOS 13. Hopefully it is something simple.

Crashes on iPhone, iOS 13.1.2

Gives following error message in iPadOS 13.2 beta 1:

3715AE9A-85CA-4BDE-A3A2-81AC088DD085.thumb.jpeg.fa325a03cfd07975b30541f97f6bd308.jpeg

Thank you.

21 hours ago, ChrisC said:

Brother Michael, the Shortcut no longer works in iOS 13/iPadOS 13. Hopefully it is something simple.

Crashes on iPhone, iOS 13.1.2

Gives following error message in iPadOS 13.2 beta 1:

3715AE9A-85CA-4BDE-A3A2-81AC088DD085.thumb.jpeg.fa325a03cfd07975b30541f97f6bd308.jpeg

Thank you.

Bummer.

I haven’t worked on that script in a long time. It really needs some work.

Still seems to work on my iPad Pro, running iPadOS 13.1.2. But, like you, shows the URL error on my iPhone 11.

I plan on fixing it sometime!

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

New version 3 Shortcut is ONLY for those running the latest iOS 13. Stripped out the list building feature, as it needs work.

Apple doesn’t allow saving the Shortcut as a file now, so we’ll see if this link works.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/b13b42aa52284e0a868bf6a0adab1762

Let me know.

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

• Dages changed the title to JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!