JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!

On 10/8/2019 at 7:25 AM, digital_dreamer said:

New version 3 Shortcut is ONLY for those running the latest iOS 13. Stripped out the list building feature, as it needs work.

Apple doesn’t allow saving the Shortcut as a file now, so we’ll see if this link works.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/b13b42aa52284e0a868bf6a0adab1762

Let me know.

Well done and thank you! (iOS 13.2 beta 2)

43E9A8D5-D8B7-4465-B56E-17B7766D3B3A.jpeg.c419175ea175cea79d5b2e10c323c82c.jpeg

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

New Shortcuts language script update for iOS 13 released: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/414fc41504b34584b4fff0b819dbf446

Faster processing. One search (Match) command doesn’t work well in this version. Crashes every time and takes longer to process, so used a different command, which required more supporting commands. Some of the JW web pages have as much as 15,000 lines of HTML code, not including JavaScript, so there’s a lot to parse through.

As in the past, both jw.org and WOL have the actual number of languages embedded in the webpages, so it’s easy to extract. Sign language numbers requires actually looking at each language and seeing if there’s a tag like "isSignLanguage": true or just observing if the name ends in Sign Language. Pretty straight forward.

JWB changes: However, things have changed for JW Broadcasting. The older scripts were looking at the now depreciated JWB site, which apparently still has files online, and that’s why they are stuck at a static 311 languages. The new script looks at the language selector on the page, which has a significantly higher language count: 947! So, it’s unclear if the number is applicable to all the videos and what happens if the language is unavailable. Before, it was possible to see all the languages a particular video was available in. Now, I’m not sure, as I haven’t gotten that far.

JW Broadcasting now appears to specially refer to the Monthly Programs, Talks, and News and Announcements videos, what was previously referred to as the Studio. Everything else is now part of the Online Video Library. I still believe the Monthly Programs on JWB will have the highest number of available languages, compared to the other videos, as was the case previously. However, I have a hard time believing it’s at 947. I’d love to be wrong, though. All those RTOs are surely being put to full use.

I still plan on building a updated table/list that will show all languages, what languages are available in the video library and/or JWB, and how many videos are available for each language.

843CA194-F029-4722-9DDE-0CA43012C12E.jpeg

Edited by digital_dreamer

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

On 10/20/2019 at 2:42 AM, digital_dreamer said:

New Shortcuts language script update for iOS 13 released: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/414fc41504b34584b4fff0b819dbf446

Faster processing. One search (Match) command doesn’t work well in this version. Crashes every time and takes longer to process, so used a different command, which required more supporting commands. Some of the JW web pages have as much as 15,000 lines of HTML code, not including JavaScript, so there’s a lot to parse through.

As in the past, both jw.org and WOL have the actual number of languages embedded in the webpages, so it’s easy to extract. Sign language numbers requires actually looking at each language and seeing if there’s a tag like "isSignLanguage": true or just observing if the name ends in Sign Language. Pretty straight forward.

JWB changes: However, things have changed for JW Broadcasting. The older scripts were looking at the now depreciated JWB site, which apparently still has files online, and that’s why they are stuck at a static 311 languages. The new script looks at the language selector on the page, which has a significantly higher language count: 947! So, it’s unclear if the number is applicable to all the videos and what happens if the language is unavailable. Before, it was possible to see all the languages a particular video was available in. Now, I’m not sure, as I haven’t gotten that far.

JW Broadcasting now appears to specially refer to the Monthly Programs, Talks, and News and Announcements videos, what was previously referred to as the Studio. Everything else is now part of the Online Video Library. I still believe the Monthly Programs on JWB will have the highest number of available languages, compared to the other videos, as was the case previously. However, I have a hard time believing it’s at 947. I’d love to be wrong, though. All those RTOs are surely being put to full use.

I still plan on building a updated table/list that will show all languages, what languages are available in the video library and/or JWB, and how many videos are available for each language.

843CA194-F029-4722-9DDE-0CA43012C12E.jpeg

Thank you.

Before the normal pop-up of results I am getting a long page of text. (On iPadOS 13.2 beta and iOS 13.1.3)

DC42E12D-63C6-4844-99AE-2F9FF3293892.thumb.jpeg.534408ef6951eaef9477cedfc1dce608.jpeg

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

In alphabetical order:

Dendi is a Songhay language used as a trade language across northern Benin

Kokola, also known as Kokhola is a language of Malawi with over 200,000 users in the Mulanje district; Thyolo district: Sandama area

Sindhi (Indonesia)

Terêna or telena, is spoken by 15,000 Brazilians

On 10/29/2019 at 7:38 PM, RNGuzman said:

It's now 997.

Kutchi India

This is interesting

Influences from other language

Kutchi is considered a dialect of Sindhi, Over time, it has borrowed vocabulary from Gujarati. Most Kutchis living in India are bilingual or trilingual, due to exposure to closely related neighbouring languages such as Gujarati. Many Pakistanis are also bilingual or trilingual; many residents of Karachi speak Kutchi. It is a unique language in itself especially in the way it is spoken and has many common words from Marwari (Rajasthan) as well. 

By way of emigration during the British reign many members of Kutchi communities left India / Pakistan and settled in regions of East Africa such as Kenya, Uganda, Zaire/Congo, Tanzania, and even far south as South Africa

so not sure about this language. Sindhi (Indonesia) was added recently. Perhaps someone can enlighten us more.

so this is more for the field in Africa rather than India?

Edited by humblebumblebee

made it readible in dark mode

29 minutes ago, Dages said:

I'm here to introduce you a website, the first website in the world to be available in (almost/more than) 1000 languages.

Is that your Introduction for next month? :thumbsup:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• Dages changed the title to JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!