JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

8 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I can take notes in the Meeting tab on my android too..

I can too but I had to try on the same highlighted text several times but after that little glitch, I didn't have further problems.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I can take notes there but I have to highlight the word in Android but in/on iPhone they can just tap/select the word and note-taking is activated. I could have sworn my Android had that same functionality on day one but it seems to have changed to extra step. But I'm just an old dude.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

Just bought myself a new tablet .. and I've been looking at Bluetooth keyboards, too.  B)

I have had several keyboards for my tablet and the one I like the best is a Kensington KeyFolio Pro 2 - Universal.  It comes with a case that props the tablet up nicely on your lap and you type on it like a laptop, only much smaller.  One charge lasts forever and it connects right away with my tablet everytime and all of the keys are still working on it and I've had it and used it extensively (especially for taking notes as assemblies).  Other keyboards I bought, only lasts about a year before some of the keys stopped working or a glitch developed that made them unuseable.  I got my Kensington on Ebay (it normally would of sold for $80 or $90) but I got it for 15.00.  New, no box.  Great buy! (By the way, this keyboard is for an Android tablet) Also, you can remove the keyboard from the case and use it seperately.  I do that a lot when I'm studying at my kitchen table. Plus I can pair it with my phone as well.

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I wonder if we will be able to transfer our notes and highlights from the NWT to the Study Bible when it added to JW Library.

This would be good, but don't expect it, just as I don't see a way of transferring notes between different languages (which could be useful for the multilingual among us).

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

12 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

just as I don't see a way of transferring notes between different languages (which could be useful for the multilingual among us).

That's a good suggestion to add to the list. In fact it may not be that difficult since the note is associated with the pub and the pub is the same only in different Language 

Ok just checked an iPhone and noticed they can click a word to show options and create a note and create title... I can't do that on my Android.. unless I don't know what I'm doing... Lol

15 minutes ago, Tbs77 said:

Ok just checked an iPhone and noticed they can click a word to show options and create a note and create title... I can't do that on my Android.. emoji30.png unless I don't know what I'm doing... Lolemoji23.png

Explain better what you think you can't do... What options are you referring to? And you can change note's title on Android also. Just click on the current title

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

I'm not really familiar with android, but in iOS you can open the meetings tab and select a word or words for note taking without highlighting.

Johan

I'm still learning but I've got into the habit of highlighting the text, adding my comment and tag/s, then deleting the highlighting. All the text is preserved in the two fields of the note but there is just the little square in the margin of the publication.

So, for example, I could make notes for all the scriptures in a Reasoning Book topic, all with a certain tag, without cluttering the NWT with highlighting. The beginning of the verse/s is still shown in the note.

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

1 minute ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

I'm still learning but I've got into the habit of highlighting the text, adding my comment and tag/s, then deleting the highlighting. All the text is preserved in the two fields of the note but there is just the little square in the margin of the publication.

So, for example, I could make notes for all the scriptures in a Reasoning Book topic, all with a certain tag, without cluttering the NWT with highlighting.

You can accomplish this and save a few steps (highlighting and then deleting the highlight) by doing the following: long press a word until the two selection dots appear and then drag and select the text you want in the fields note, then click on the note icon and make your note.

At least that's what I discovered.

10 minutes ago, leoperales said:

You can accomplish this and save a few steps (highlighting and then deleting the highlight) by doing the following: long press a word until the two selection dots appear and then drag and select the text you want in the fields note, then click on the note icon and make your note.

At least that's what I discovered.

just curious - what is a "fields note"?

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Explain better what you think you can't do... What options are you referring to? And you can change note's title on Android also. Just click on the current title

IMG_0888.JPGIMG_0889.JPGIMG_0890.JPG

"Meeting Page"
Tapped on Zedikiah bar pops up
Tap note-taking then I can create note

I haven't found this functionality yet on Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlighting not required

30 minutes ago, shali said:

just curious - what is a "fields note"?

Well I was referring to the two text input 'fields' in each note. The selected text and the comment underneath.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

IMG_0888.thumb.JPG.7b9f40fa9b0fc6ab8f34d46d8b69dc7f.JPGIMG_0889.thumb.JPG.bc4b2bb44b087b6d44d94a1b4cf4779a.JPGIMG_0890.thumb.JPG.7e345c9db1f7afbd26a7d1762cd71e77.JPG

"Meeting Page"
Tapped on Zedikiah bar pops up
Tap note-taking then I can create note

I haven't found this functionality yet on Android.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHighlighting not required

IMG_0891.JPG
This is Zedikiah highlighted note taking tap results..name populates title.

3 hours ago, Thesauron said:

What is your impression so far using the notes feature in the ministry, the midweek meeting, or personal study?

I used the Tag feature this morning when I conducted the meeting for service. There were a couple of points in different articles that I wanted to refer to so I created a note for each point and then created a tag called FS. This morning I used the tag to call up just those notes and it gave me the points and articles that I wanted all on one screen. Nice!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

This is an awesome update...I have used it all week  and appreciate the work that has gone into preparing the update.  I use iPad and iPhone...the bulk of the studying I do is on my iPad...However being able to backup, I will likely start using my phone when I am on the fly...just need to remember to back up after each study period.

I have created a few tags:

"how would you answer" - for the wt review questions

"gems" 

"personal" - things I want to work on

"suplemental" - for bringing in quotes from wt library etc.

"bible reading" for interesting points for my own info

When I go to create a new note and tap the tags i only get to see 3 and have no way to scroll through them all.  I'm not sure if this is just a glitch...to be fixed on a later update.  However it presents the need to really think about your note and about your tags.  I have yet to do a hard reset of of my device.  Will keep you posted.

53 minutes ago, egapevets said:

When I go to create a new note and tap the tags i only get to see 3 and have no way to scroll

If you type the first letter of the tag in the tag field, the tag will appear in the list.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just now, hatcheckgirl said:

Torti, you've  guinea pigged your way through all the cool features :thumbsup:.

So you are are our honorary SME (subject matter expert, pronounced smee. )

I've turtled my way slowly through a few features but that's it...:)

11 hours ago, shali said:

I have had several keyboards for my tablet and the one I like the best is a Kensington KeyFolio Pro 2 - Universal.  It comes with a case that props the tablet up nicely on your lap and you type on it like a laptop, only much smaller.  One charge lasts forever and it connects right away with my tablet everytime and all of the keys are still working on it and I've had it and used it extensively (especially for taking notes as assemblies).  Other keyboards I bought, only lasts about a year before some of the keys stopped working or a glitch developed that made them unuseable.  I got my Kensington on Ebay (it normally would of sold for $80 or $90) but I got it for 15.00.  New, no box.  Great buy! (By the way, this keyboard is for an Android tablet) Also, you can remove the keyboard from the case and use it seperately.  I do that a lot when I'm studying at my kitchen table. Plus I can pair it with my phone as well.

Thank you for that info, Brigitte, mine is android so I will see if that brand is available over here. It is always good to get recommendations. :)

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.