JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

I just saw the letter about the updated JWLibrary and also about keeping this up to date.

I too like the linkable stuff!   :bouncing:  

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Has anyone updated to iOS 9 yet?  I just received my invite to do so today but recalled reading that it caused a problem with either JW Library or Equipd.  Either way, until I see or hear the "all clear" signal" I guess I will wait.

No problems here, just backup your iPad first before you update.

As this is the JWLibrary thread, I was just thinking (other than being able to highlight) wouldn't it be great if there was a way to DL audio for books and magazines where available (including Bible books) and play it?

If they got that sorted I wouldn't need my JWReader app any more.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

As this is the JWLibrary thread, I was just thinking (other than being able to highlight) wouldn't it be great if there was a way to DL audio for books and magazines where available (including Bible books) and play it?

If they got that sorted I wouldn't need my JWReader app any more.

My wife is upset that JWPodcast2 doesn't work any more so I thought how nice it would be if JWL played audio. I was going to add that to the list of JWL improvements..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Do we have a "tips and tricks" thread for JW Library?. I was trying to help DL bookmark scriptures and wondered if there was anything other helpful tricks we could do.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

My wife is upset that JWPodcast2 doesn't work any more so I thought how nice it would be if JWL played audio. I was going to add that to the list of JWL improvements..

I sent all the suggestions of improvement to the JW team... I'm sure they will take that into account when possible

But I think this next Am will bring news on this ;)

I sent all the suggestions of improvement to the JW team...

Same for me. The last one was about a reading mode with high contrast (white font on dark screen). We have an older sister who can't read the bible in JWL because of this.

She have a 10" tablet, but with black font on white page, she have to magnify the text until having only three or four word on the screen to be able to read it. Even the wt study in large font is not enough for her.

But she have no problem to read the names of the bible books on JWL because they are writing with white font on dark squares

The big change is: The publications are now linked. For Example: Open the km and tap the Song. It appears on the right. On the top right the Song number and title is now blue, if you have the songbook downloaded. Tap it and you will jump to the sheet. It also works with other publications. For Example with the index in the last watchtower or awake of the year. Tap the link and then tap the title on the right margin and jump to the publication (if downloaded).

Really helpful!

Another feature is that you can now sync what you're reading with different languages. As I was reading this week's Watchtower article in Spanish (I'm in a Spanish congregation here in the US), I tapped on a paragraph and then tapped on the Languages icon and I was able to select English and it took me to the exact parragraph in English that I wanted to reference. This was activated before, but it wouldn't sync down to the exact parragraph, only the article or chapter and hoy had to scroll down to where you left off.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where to look for the JW-Library "version" number in Windows 10?  I can find it in my Android and in my windows 8.1 but I am at a loss as to where to look in Win10.

Go to the Windows Store, select the icon of the account (circle near the search box at top right), choose My Library, in Apps choose Show All, search for the JW Library icon, and it tells you if it's updated or not.

Go to the Windows Store, select the icon of the account (circle near the search box at top right), choose My Library, in Apps choose Show All, search for the JW Library icon, and it tells you if it's updated or not.

Thanks, Juan.  I saw that feature this morning, but it shows my original install date (2013?).  The app in the store shows the generic upgrade version (Like 1.5.2 or something)  I was interested in the specific build number (like 1.5.4.216).  The JW-Library on my desktop PC seems to be the same as before today.  On my Windows 10 tablet, the app showed update available this morning.  I clicked on it and it said 6 MB completed out of 184 MB.  I went out of the room for about 2 minutes and the screen was blank (indicating the download was complete).  In my area 184 MB would take an hour or two, not a minute or two.  Now I can't see any difference in the installed library and the Windows store won't show any updates available.  I just wanted to check the upgrade (build) number.  Thanks for your input, it is a help.

Another feature is that you can now sync what you're reading with different languages. As I was reading this week's Watchtower article in Spanish (I'm in a Spanish congregation here in the US), I tapped on a paragraph and then tapped on the Languages icon and I was able to select English and it took me to the exact parragraph in English that I wanted to reference. This was activated before, but it wouldn't sync down to the exact parragraph, only the article or chapter and hoy had to scroll down to where you left off.

I really like this also. I am in Tagalog and have been using an app called Floating Bible which has the NWT in both languages side by side but it doesn't have any of the magazines or brochures.

The only problem with the JWL language swapping is that it is very slow - too slow for use at the meeting. My solution is to have one language on my phone and the other on my tablet. A bit awkward but it works.

I got the update for Win10 now, but the section "What's New" seemed to have gone back in time.  The Dec 1st Watchtower is the latest, no December Awake or latest videos.

Are you sure that isn't December 2015? That is the latest available on my tablet.

Does anyone know where to look for the JW-Library "version" number in Windows 10?  I can find it in my Android and in my windows 8.1 but I am at a loss as to where to look in Win10.

When searching for JW Library in the Windows 10 app store it shows the latest version as 1.5.2.

But when I run windows task manager (by right clicking on the task bar).

Then right-click on "jw library" under apps and selecting properties, I get:

WatchtowerBibleandTractSo.45909CDBADF3C_1.5.4.885_x64__5rz59y55nfz3e

It seems like the running version is 1.5.4.

open the JWLibrary.Windoows.exe txt and you can read :

1,"App","WatchtowerBibleandTractSo.45909CDBADF3C_1.5.4.885_x86__5rz59y55nfz3e",0

1,"WinRT","WatchtowerBibleandTractSo.45909CDBADF3C_1.5.4.885_x86__5rz59y55nfz3e",1

1,"fusion","GAC",2

2,"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\WatchtowerBibleandTractSo.45909CDBADF3C_1.5.4.885_x86__5rz59y55nfz3e\JWLibrary.Windows.exe",0

so, it's the 1.5.4.885 but on the properties of the app and in the windows store notice, it's 1.5.2 ​

Edited by peper-eliot

open the JWLibrary.Windoows.exe txt and you can read :

1,"App","WatchtowerBibleandTractSo.45909CDBADF3C_1.5.4.885_x86__5rz59y55nfz3e",0

1,"WinRT","WatchtowerBibleandTractSo.45909CDBADF3C_1.5.4.885_x86__5rz59y55nfz3e",1

1,"fusion","GAC",2

2,"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\WatchtowerBibleandTractSo.45909CDBADF3C_1.5.4.885_x86__5rz59y55nfz3e\JWLibrary.Windows.exe",0

so, it's the 1.5.4.885 but on the properties of the app and in the windows store notice, it's 1.5.2 ​

This xml file tells you the JW Library version is 1.5.4.885:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\WatchtowerBibleandTractSo.45909CDBADF3C_1.5.4.885_x64__5rz59y55nfz3e\AppxManifest.xml

<Identity Name="WatchtowerBibleandTractSo.45909CDBADF3C" Publisher="CN=53D4AF15-3D20-44B6-918A-83FCC330C729" Version="1.5.4.885" ProcessorArchitecture="x64" />