JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

8 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

I assume it will be a mandatory vaccination, I wonder how the anti-vaxxers will respond to that...

They won't be bothered. They're probably safe with all the toilet paper, hand sanitizer and masks they've stockpiled 🙄😐

/sarcasm 

3 minutes ago, Hope said:

They won't be bothered. They're probably safe with all the toilet paper, hand sanitizer and masks they've stockpiled 🙄😐

/sarcasm 

I wonder what the first century christians did for toilet paper? Or closer, our Great Grandparents? I don't think what they term 'necessary items' are all that 'necessary' when it comes down to brass tacks. Hehe. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

3 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

I wonder what the first century christians did for toilet paper? Or closer, our Great Grandparents? I don't think what they term 'necessary items' are all that 'necessary' when it comes down to brass tacks. Hehe. 

The Roman's shared a sponge on a stick..

I think we are far enough off topic that we might consider getting back on topic...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

18 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

The Roman's shared a sponge on a stick..

I think we are far enough off topic that we might consider getting back on topic...

Yes you are lol - but my point is on topic and that is panic buying and toilet paper - there are other ways of cleaning oneself without having to panic buy with toilet paper. On topic. 

I understand stocking up on disinfectant and basic food needs like powdered water. But people are not thinking of others when panic buying.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

44 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

I assume it will be a mandatory vaccination, I wonder how the anti-vaxxers will respond to that...

I would think maybe for school children it would be made "mandatory" this isn't China so it is much harder to "contain" this virus in the USA, you can't force people in a free society with the threat of going to jail, it's all based on volunteer containment just like getting a flu shot.What would the government do put all that test positve ( if they can even reach that many to test) in an internment camp like in WW2?

I'm kind of embarrassed to tell this but when I was 12 years old my friends and I did a camp out away from home no bathrooms except an old out house, well I had to go and I did except no toilet paper, yelling to my friends to get me something, they returned with a handful of maple leafs! Don't leaf home without it!

2020-03-05_13h59_18.png

2 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

I'm kind of embarrassed to tell this but when I was 12 years old my friends and I did a camp out away from home no bathrooms except an old out house, well I had to go and I did except no toilet paper, yelling to my friends to get me something, they returned with a handful of maple leafs! Don't leaf home without it!

2020-03-05_13h59_18.png

It is very important if you use leaves to know what poison oak looks like. :whistling:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

People are too obsessed for getting the face mask because they believe the corona virus is spread through the air, but even though if that's true most of the face masks are less useful because the virus particles are too small to be filtered out by most masks. And it makes people touch their nose and eyes more often. maintain the clean habits is the most simple dan easy thing we can do.

1 hour ago, Stormswift said:

Yes you are lol - but my point is on topic and that is panic buying and toilet paper - there are other ways of cleaning oneself without having to panic buy with toilet paper. On topic. 

I understand stocking up on disinfectant and basic food needs like powdered water. But people are not thinking of others when panic buying.

There are numerous MFGRS of bidet attachments for toilets. They work well and leave one feeling much cleaner that TP.  More sanitary, more comfortable and they save trees. A little TP for blotting and you are cleaner than the little red bear in Charmin commecials

Here is one page of ones carried by Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Bath-Toilets-Toilet-Seats-Bidets-Bidets-Bidet-Parts-Bidet-Attachments/N-5yc1vZcesm

Some connect to hot water which is particularly nice on cold mornings. In my opinion they are more practicle than the freestanding units used in European countries.

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, Bluebell said:

received from a tour operator (Thompson House) in N.Y:

As you may be aware, the outbreak of the coronavirus COVID-19 continues to spread, including within the United States.

After consulting with U.S. Department of Health officials, all tours at Patterson, Wallkill, and Warwick have been
canceled during the month of March. This closure is effective immediately and includes your previously confirmed tour reservation.

We recognize that this will affect your travel plans and apologize for the inconvenience. However, this is being done out of concern for the health of our
many visitors. As soon as it is deemed safe, tours of our facilities will resume as normal. We will notify you as soon as tours resume so you can reschedule
your tour using the online reservation tool found on jw.org. (Look under ABOUT US > OFFICES &TOURS.)

I looked and don't see this information.

2 hours ago, Old said:

The mic handeler always had to be aware of where the other end on the pole was, more than a few got whacked that way. We will do what we gotta do.  :(

That was my problem also and when I did it, it was way before the 30 second suggested comments. LOL

2 hours ago, Old said:

On occasion some would be lightly banged in the face.

Wow, I have never had that problem. May want to look into some "meeting comprehensive collision insurance"! LOL

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

6 hours ago, Lee49 said:

My daughter said that there was a letter read at last nights meeting stating that there will be no more hand held mics, going back to long poles, for now only those close to the end isle seats are able to answer while the brother holds the mic! A lot of friends calling in to listen, with only 25 able to do so , that's the limit 25, she was not able to get in, her husband attended.

Was it actually in the letter, or was this the decision of her elder body and they simply included that statement in the announcement?

6 hours ago, Lee49 said:

Even with the pole mics the tendency when putting it out for someone to answer is for that person or child is to grab the mic and hold it, so I really do not see that as an avoidance from touching the mic, plus when speaking into it your exhaling your breath or touching  it with your mouth if not firmly held! I guess we'll just have to go back to speaking up!

2020-03-05_09h02_16.png

No, you can't eliminate every risk.  However, if the amount of times that mic is touched drops, then that improves the odds.

There was this sister in our congregation years ago who refused to touch the microphone.  Her husband had to hold it for her.  However, she would still touch the same doorknobs and faucet handles everyone else did.  

Edited by Shawnster

We have been using our mics on a boom/pole for many years. The majority of people never touch the mic - they just comment. Most do not even breath that much on it because they pull away from it, making it more of a challenge for the sound operator to get their comment with out feedback.

If we discontinued the mics all together - that would not be a problem for me ... I never needed one to be heard, so I've been told

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

https://www.nst.com.my/world/world/2020/02/570273/how-long-can-covid-19-survive-surfaces

By Reuters - February 29, 2020 @ 9:41am

AS the Covid-19 coronavirus spreads quickly around the world, US health officials say they are “aggressively” assessing how long it can survive on surfaces to better understand the risk of transmission.

Based on what is known about similar coronaviruses, disease experts say the virus is mainly spread from person to person through coughing or sneezing. Contact with faecal matter from an infected person may also transmit the virus.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says it may be possible for a person to become infected by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose or eyes.

An analysis of 22 earlier studies of similar coronaviruses, including Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) published online this month in the Journal of Hospital Infection, concluded that human coronaviruses can remain infectious on inanimate surfaces for up to nine days at room temperature. However, they can quickly be rendered inactive using common disinfectants, and may also dissipate at higher temperatures, the authors wrote. It is not yet clear, however, whether the new coronavirus behaves in a similar way.

“On copper and steel it’s pretty typical, it’s pretty much about two hours,” CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield told US lawmakers on Thursday, referring to how long the new coronavirus may be active on those types of materials. “But I will say on other surfaces - cardboard or plastic - it’s longer, and so we are looking at this.”

The agency said there is likely a very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures.

A CDC spokeswoman, in an emailed statement, said the agency is still looking into how contagious the virus can be when deposited on more common, everyday surfaces.

The Food and Drug Administration this week said it has no evidence that Covid-19 has been transmitted from imported goods, but the situation remains “dynamic” and the agency said it will assess and update guidance as needed.

“The important big take-home message is that this is probably a small proportion of the transmission of respiratory viruses,” said Dr. Timothy Brewer, professor of epidemiology and medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles. “Out in the community, these viruses are probably not surviving for a long time on surfaces.”

Brewer explained that such viruses tend to survive the longest in low-temperature, low-humidity environments, “that is why you see lots of respiratory viruses during the winter.” - REUTERS

I dedcided to look up "how long does covid-19 last on surfaces" and came up with this from a google search.

I think I might be wearing gloves taking care of account donations for the foreseeable future.

I have not heard this report from the usa national news outlets before.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

3 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Sooo, what do you add to make this liquid again?

Add 1 cup of water and it makes about 8 ounces...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_water

Dry water

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

Dry water , an unusual form of "powdered liquid", is a water–air emulsion in which tiny water droplets, each the size of a grain of sand, are surrounded by a sandy silica coating.[1] Dry water actually consists of 95% liquid water, but the silica coating prevents the water droplets from combining and turning back into a bulk liquid.[2] The result is a white powder that looks very similar to table salt. It is also more commonly known among researchers as empty water.

2020-03-05_15h56_39.png