JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

We unmute ourselves, easy to do on a PC using participant screen and hand raise. Unmute is right there with name, which has moved to the top of the column. I don't know what is involved with a tablet or iphone, I do notice they seem to struggle a little more than I do on my laptop. The smartphone crowd has to be prompted to unmute, sometimes they fail and the conductor has to move on to the next raised hand. So far he has kept the WT within the time alloted.

We also keep the video off, even for comments, it limits distractions. Many have their pictures posted, that is a nice touch.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

10 minutes ago, Old said:

We unmute ourselves, easy to do on a PC using participant screen and hand raise

That sounds like a good solution to the Zoom update. I hope the brothers decide to change the current arrangement. 

If the Participant unmute themselves for their part/talk/comment, the cohost can mute them when they are done..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

11 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

That sounds like a good solution to the Zoom update. I hope the brothers decide to change the current arrangement. 

If the Participant unmute themselves for their part/talk/comment, the cohost can mute them when they are done..

My understanding is that if the co-host does the muting the participant can not unmute themselves for the later comment.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

8 minutes ago, Old said:

My understanding is that if the co-host does the muting the participant can not unmute themselves for the later comment.

I have not seen that but I have seen the opposite of that. The cohost can not override a user without their consent. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just now, The German said:

Nobody needs to guess.

We have the instructions in zoominst 5/20 and we are obedient.

19. Muting: The participant’s microphone should be muted when he is not speaking. The
audio/video support brother can assist with this as necessary.—See paragraphs 25-31.

Great point, However these instructions came before zoom's latest changes, so they might not have been taken into consideration yet. Just be patient, I'm sure we'll get updated direction soon.

18 hours ago, The German said:

Nobody needs to guess.

We have the instructions in zoominst 5/20 and we are obedient.

19. Muting: The participant’s microphone should be muted when he is not speaking. The
audio/video support brother can assist with this as necessary.—See paragraphs 25-31.

No guessing involved except how the very recent update to Zoom will affect the host/cohost ability to follow the Branch directions and congregation arrangements.

As I stated earlier, the update will affect our congregation current arrangement. Apparently some congregations have implemented various levels of responsibility as the "audio/video support brother assists as necessary" so not all congregations obediently following the Branch direction will be affected the same way.

Edited by Bro Richard

On my PC, I am always asked to unmute, and I prefer this. If they unmute everyone to clap, I'd rather use a 👏 reaction. Sometimes they unmute people and they're talking in the background. But as an attendant, asking people to unmute has already caused problems of people repeatedly giving their comment 2 or 3 times before it's heard and will continue to be annoying... Some just fundamentally don't understand how the technology works or have no personal awareness and I'm not sure this is going to train them to understand how to use it...

3 hours ago, Bro Richard said:

exasperate

exacerbate* I'm sorry.

7 hours ago, Sheep said:

I don't think this is going to have any impact on our congregation. If someone has a comment to make, that publisher has to unmute him/herself. The host doesn't unmute anyone.

Already impacted our congregation. We meet as groups, usually the Host allows people to mute and unmute themselves but a couple need help with that so he'll unmute them. So this Thursday

1) When one's had problems unmuting themselves he had difficutly helping them

2) When we had a video made by some brothers and sisters (a getting to know you for the Local Needs) everyone was applauding after and when he tried to unmute everyone so we could all hear the clapping nothing happened. Poor Brother was quite exasperated (as Bro Richard said). Hopefully this Sunday will go more smoothly.

Edited by Hugh O'D

3 minutes ago, Myew said:

exacerbate* I'm sorry.

Thanks 👍🏼 I knew that didn't look right..😁

One thing that happened is someone didn't see the unmute request for applause until after the conductor had remuted everyone. So they unmuted themselves during the song. I kept remuting them. But they kept getting requests to unmute themselves again and again, likely another attendant was trying to do the same thing. I figured out what was going on later when I asked them about it, they were just trying to follow direction... but it was really frustrating and disrupted the song. 🤯

Edited by Myew

On 5/16/2020 at 4:56 AM, The German said:

Yes, this is normal after a while as the device gets older.

Du kannst es mit Pressluft in der Dose versuchen. Gibt es bei Ebay.

My laptop  is 15 months old, and I to hear the fan sometimes too, is it considered old already? I usually unplugged it, and it eventually stop, is it running hot?

6 hours ago, Bro Richard said:

It will impact our meetings. The current arrangement is for a brother to be co-host and he mutes and unmutes all of the participants

With this zoom update, I'm going to suggest that we go back to this (what we originally did). 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Old depends more on the hardware that the laptop had when you bought it, but anything made within the last 5 years is usually fine.
Most newer laptop fans will only turn on if it gets hot. My laptop will usually only turn on the fan if it's running a bunch of browser tabs/videos or playing a game. Sometimes a tiny bit at startup if it was already warm and is loading everything at once. It depends a lot on the thermal design of the CPU and the chassis manufacturer. Some have cheap cooling, some have tons of heatsinks and vents. Some have processors that run at higher wattage and have more heat to dump.

Edited by Myew

I am running windows 10, chrome browser as microsoft edge Is not supported. My problem is if i join a meeting i can only see the person talking and not a gallery view. How do i fix this before my disaster training meeting at 1pm?

4 hours ago, AH173 said:

With this zoom update, I'm going to suggest that we go back to this (what we originally did). 

I'm doing Sound for our meeting tomorrow so I already told the WT conductor there may be delays. We'll soon know more about how the update will affect the current congregational arrangement 👍🏻😁

16 hours ago, Margaret said:

I am running windows 10, chrome browser as microsoft edge Is not supported. My problem is if i join a meeting i can only see the person talking and not a gallery view. How do i fix this before my disaster training meeting at 1pm?

It varies

Sometimes the AV lead brother is spotlighting  the video - so it stays the main view - there times it is based on ACTIVE microphone

you usually need to minimize from 'Full Screen' if you want to manipulate the viewing area and size

the 2nd thing is changing the view from "Speaker view' to 'Gallery view' if you want to see multiple attendees

again - they might all become small 1" windows at that point....depends on your screen and how many attending

3rd choice - is fun but requires a separate monitor - you can have 2 different screens - 1 with Speaker and the second with Gallery

try playing around with the options on screen

you may need to move you mouse around --- bottom of screen center....top of screen center

to see additional options 'pop-up'

njoy

US Branch instructions

19. Muting: The participant’s microphone should be muted when he is not speaking. The audio/video support brother can assist with this as necessary.—See paragraphs 25-31.

23. During the Meeting: The attendant may help adjust the displayed names of participants so that they are recognizable by other program participants. He watches for disruptive individuals and inappropriate images or profile pictures. He may need to mute a participant’s microphone or stop a participant’s video.

35. Commenting: When an attendee would like to comment, he may either raise his physical hand or use the Raise Hand feature if the elders decide to use the feature. (Depending on the device used, the feature may be found after selecting “More” or “Participants.”) When called on by the conductor, the commenter should unmute his microphone and begin speaking. Commenters may need to speak loudly or move closer to their microphone so that they can be heard by all in attendance. Thereafter, the commenter should mute his microphone and then select “Lower Hand” if that feature was used.

22 hours ago, AH173 said:

18 hours ago, Bro Richard said:

I'm doing Sound for our meeting tomorrow so I already told the WT conductor there may be delays. We'll soon know more about how the update will affect the current congregational arrangement 👍🏻😁

Things went well just a slight delay. No major problems encountered.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

2 minutes ago, AH173 said:

Things went well just a slight delay. No major problems encountered.

I talked to the brothers about the Zoom update so we did a test this morning before the meeting to confirm how it affected the current arrangement. The brothers decided to make an announcement before the WT that some participants may have to consent each time the host tries to unmute them. There were a few commentators that took awhile to acknowledge the request to unmute them. I really hope the brothers decide to have each participant unmute themselves..

Hello. Just this weekend meeting I am suddenly faced with this unusual problem, where I am completely unable to choose the “Optimize for full-screen video clip.” option. Has anyone seen this? There’s nothing in Zoom help center for this type of error.

I am going to guess I will have to run the a/v for today’s meeting without this option if I don’t solve it now, but that is going to cause a lot of delays in the video stream. The weekend meeting does not have a lot of videos so that may be acceptable, but I really do not hope this issue persist into the next week.

zosd.jpg.e6ac90e378e1ebf95609353a0d877ddb.jpg

30 minutes ago, Hinata said:

Hello. Just this weekend meeting I am suddenly faced with this unusual problem, where I am completely unable to choose the “Optimize for full-screen video clip.” option. Has anyone seen this? There’s nothing in Zoom help center for this type of error.

That is odd. Never seen this problem before. Here are just some things that come to mind to possibly fix this.

Restart Zoom

Restart computer

Reinstall Zoom

Try each and see if that fixes it. I will keep thinking of other things you can try. Maybe someone has seen this issue.

Edited by TylerD

34 minutes ago, Hinata said:

I am going to guess I will have to run the a/v for today’s meeting without this option if I don’t solve it now, but that is going to cause a lot of delays in the video stream. The weekend meeting does not have a lot of videos so that may be acceptable, but I really do not hope this issue persist into the next week.

you probably already know this... but that feature is in the desktop version not the iphone/ipad

--caught me a day i was using a different device

-- host can limit the share...

and it will check your bandwidth in order to enable optimization...

that and the weekly updates always seem to have something brand new / different

3 minutes ago, DarinS said:

you probably already know this... but that feature is in the desktop version not the iphone/ipad

--caught me a day i was using a different device

-- host can limit the share...

Sure, I do know that the feature is not in the desktop version.

The picture was taken in the desktop version too. So I do not understand the issue.

Are you suggesting that the host has disabled the option?