JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Protestors Invade Capitol Building

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1157 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

One of the rioters lives in my state, and he was ID by his employer and fired on the spot.  He got caught because he wore his work badge on him, and a close up was made of the name of the company he worked for.  Law enforcement advised they will arrest those they have clear pictures of, no matter where they flew in or drove to D.C.  Prophecy in motion, Daniel Chapter 2, verse 33, 34.

You know the post office is 2 months behind mailing letters and packages.  I wonder if by now they are just getting our Nov issue of "What Is God's Kingdom" in their mailboxes.  You know the politicians and all the business people we wrote to in November Special Issue of the Watchtower.  

11 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

25th Amendment time...

Election 2020

Schumer Says Trump Must Immediately Be Removed From Office

Congress ratified president-elect’s victory in overnight joint session, with lawmakers from both parties condemning president’s rhetoric

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/adam-kinzinger-25th-amendment-trump-removal-b1784001.html?amp

Nothing will happen with the 25th Amendment, Pence is opposing in removing Trump.

But they can impeach him or submit it in writing and that will be enough to prevent Trump from running again or be in office.

What happened at the United States capitol really reinforced a belief that I have concerning people who love to drive around with US flags blowing in the wind and claim to be so patriotic. And that belief is that a lot of these people will be the first to turn against this country and be willing to tear in apart when things aren’t going their way. Just like the confederates were willing to do in 1861. They’re not really patriotic like they claim to be. They just love this country when they can have things their way.

While the world becomes more polarized on things like politics, it feels good to be part of an organization that is united and knows true relief from man’s problems I’ll come soon through God’s kingdom 🙂

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

24 minutes ago, Allabord4Jah said:

One of the rioters lives in my state, and he was ID by his employer and fired on the spot. 

I wonder if that could be fought.  Did he take vacation time?  Of course, if he was wearing identification that connected him with his employer, perhaps that can be used as grounds for termination.

15 minutes ago, *Jack* said:

What happened at the United States capitol really reinforced a belief that I have concerning people who love to drive around with US flags blowing in the wind and claim to be so patriotic. And that belief is that a lot of these people will be the first to turn against this country and be willing to tear in apart when things aren’t going their way. Just like the confederates were willing to do in 1861. They’re not really patriotic like they claim to be. They just love this country when they can have things their way.

Yes, it's the "I love my country as long as it stands for what I believe in" mentality.  It's interesting  you cite the CSA and 1861.  The Confederates felt the US had moved beyond what the founding fathers intended.  In other words, the US no longer stood for what they believed in.  Ultimately, it's selfish principles because it puts "what I believe in" first and foremost.  

Edited by Shawnster

1 hour ago, *Jack* said:

What happened at the United States capitol really reinforced a belief that I have concerning people who love to drive around with US flags blowing in the wind and claim to be so patriotic. And that belief is that a lot of these people will be the first to turn against this country and be willing to tear it apart when things aren’t going their way. Just like the confederates were willing to do in 1861. They’re not really patriotic like they claim to be. They just love this country when they can have things their way.

While the world becomes more polarized on things like politics, it feels good to be part of an organization that is united and knows true relief from man’s problems will come soon through God’s kingdom 🙂

Fixing typos...

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

11 hours ago, JW2017 said:

Now they say that four were killed and over 60 were arrested.

In the country where I currently live one half of those people would be killed immidiately right at the spot and the other half would be torched to the death in a prison within a day or two.. 

"Absolute rubbish”

That wasnt as bad as the BLM/Antifa terrorist riots with molotov cocktails you guys had for weeks... Though.

From my perspective, it was even quieter than a Yellow Jacket strike and we have had these for more than a year before COVID.

How easily people can be influenced to do wrong things when they are part of a large crowd(mob)

The same mob spirit of the world has been used against Jehovah's people. In the United States during the 2nd world war.

Also the mob in Sodom who wanted to abuse Job's guests. It is a spirit promoted by Satan.

3 hours ago, Dages said:

That wasnt as bad as the BLM/Antifa terrorist riots with molotov cocktails you guys had for weeks... Though.

From my perspective, it was even quieter than a Yellow Jacket strike and we have had these for more than a year before COVID.

True, the media though paints it very different.. that the police attacked "peaceful" protestors in great numbers just "because of their ethnicty or colour"... seemingly ignoring all the footage of those stores, homes and cars that were smashed up and burned by BLM and Antifa, which "provoked" the police to act in such a manner as they became out of control.

There are of course no "good sides" in all this, it's crazies vs crazies, just on opposite ends of a politcal spectrum split into polarised extremism and each pandering with their own media outlets, demonising the other with incomplete facts and propaganda.

Edited by EccentricM

5 hours ago, EccentricM said:

True, the media though paints it very different.. that the police attacked "peaceful" protestors in great numbers just "because of their ethnicty or colour"... seemingly ignoring all the footage of those stores, homes and cars that were smashed up and burned by BLM and Antifa, which "provoked" the police to act in such a manner as they became out of control.

There are of course no "good sides" in all this, it's crazies vs crazies, just on opposite ends of a politcal spectrum split into polarised extremism and each pandering with their own media outlets, demonising the other with incomplete facts and propaganda.

Great post and spot on!

The police basically stood back and allowed the primarily black rioters to loot and burn. 

Many majors refused to call in the national guard.

The media are just shameless, spineless, lying fools.

There are of course no "good sides" in all this, it's crazies vs crazies, just on opposite ends of a political spectrum split into polarised extremism and each pandering with their own media outlets, demonising the other with incomplete facts and propaganda.

As an outsider looking in I can say that I've never know the US to be more polarised as it is now about race and politics...you do wonder whether the riots will get worse

Some minds are like concrete ...all mixed up and permanently set! 😁

8 hours ago, Dages said:

Please keep in mind that if someone said that over here, it would be a very biased and loaded statement by someone who's been affected by listening too much to the biased news outlets on another edge of the political spectrum. That is how difficult political nneutrality really is...

I have personally been doubting that the whole anarchist organization that US politicians like to talk about even exists over here. Or at the very least the numbers of real anarchists have been greatly blown out of proportion. The whole idea of anarchism is to be against being organizing, right? The racial equality protests in our city started peacefully, but the media focus was quickly taken over by looters who might or might not have part of those protests.

21 minutes ago, Julie said:

As an outsider looking in I can say that I've never know the US to be more polarised as it is now about race and politics...you do wonder whether the riots will get worse

Sure was scary when 25-30 police cars go past your house with sirens on... Had very much of, should I say, (how I would picture it) Armageddon vibes 😔

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

38 minutes ago, LoneWanderer said:

Please keep in mind that if someone said that over here, it would be a very biased and loaded statement by someone who's been affected by listening too much to the biased news outlets on another edge of the political spectrum. That is how difficult political nneutrality really is...

I don't know. I'm over here and I agree completely with Dages assessment.  A single day of protest with only 4 or 5 deaths and only minor structural damage to one historic building is not as drastic as the multi day riots with many buildings damaged or destroyed and 19 dead (as of June).  

If you look at it just by numbers alone the 2020 BLM riots were more devastating than the riot at the US Capitol. 

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

If you look at it just by numbers alone the 2020 BLM riots were more devastating than the riot at the US Capitol. 

Though one could reason (as I saw some media outlets in my home region do) that if the Capitol rioters had largely been other colour than white, there would have been much more deaths. Something I find difficult to understand with my pale skin, but I guess institutional

racism runs deep in this country.

But it does give me food for thought how Jehovah wants his servants to put on the new personality. I do have some anger issues, and I found one of the topics in the Consolation sub-forum useful. But going on rioting like this, and flying in from different parts of the country to do it after been egged on to do so...is just another level.

Some have commented that this wasn't as bad as the protests the United States had for weeks with BLM.  However one reason this recent event was so significant is because they entered the capitol building rather stormed it.  This did not happen with the other protests.  Out of control protests over Trump happened in capitol cities around the United States.  Here in Washington  State in Olympia, protestors shook the security gate of governor Inslee's mansion home until it opened and entered the property outside.

These things didn't happen with the other protests.  Another significant thing is that they were protesting saying Trump actually won the election and many say that Trump encouraged the protestors in the beginning.  So there were significant things about the BLM protests but these ones also.  

Edited by JW2017

1 hour ago, LoneWanderer said:

Though one could reason (as I saw some media outlets in my home region do) that if the Capitol rioters had largely been other colour than white, there would have been much more deaths. Something I find difficult to understand with my pale skin, but I guess institutional

racism runs deep in this country.

Now you're moving the topic beyond data into a realm of possibilities.  All I was doing was comparing data.  I wasn't in any way attributing moral qualities or imputing motives or stating which mob was more heinous.  Had the BLM movement only happened in 1 day at 1 location the numbers would be less. 

I was just focusing on the math and data.  

Really, this isn't the appropriate topic to start dissecting and parsing motivations and what-ifs.  Further, as recent history on this forum has shown, such a conversation might not even remain civil and neutral among Christians.  

46 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Now you're moving the topic beyond data into a realm of possibilities.  All I was doing was comparing data.

Okay. I just reacted strongly to @Dages statement because living in a different country and a different continent altogether he might not be aware how biased such comment could be interpreted. To me it sounded along the lines what the right-wing/brownish news outlets here would say.

I don’t know how biased media outlets typically are in France, but I’ve noticed the US surely beats most in partiality. The situation in your state, Shawn, might be different, too. Just mirroring the situation on west coast.

46 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Really, this isn't the appropriate topic to start dissecting and parsing motivations and what-ifs.  Further, as recent history on this forum has shown, such a conversation might not even remain civil and neutral among Christians.  

Yes, I agree. My intention was not to start a political debate, though. With some topics that bring up the emotions it’s very easy to step over the line into political territory even among our brothers.

However, things such as racism will be difficult to understand if we have never experienced it like many of the minorities do. I don’t feel, though, that stating there is institutional racism in the country is out of line. Sadly this mess won’t have a fix until the Kingdom takes over.