JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Protestors Invade Capitol Building

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1170 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I urge those of you who can to make a formal request in writing to your supervisor to allow you to work from home, from now until the 20th. Specifically state that you are requesting this due to "safety" concerns, violence, potential roadblocks, etc. I prayed :praying: wrote the email, and rewrote it several times, sent it off, and got approved.  :yes:

Until the 20th? You might want to request until further notice!

BREAKING NEWS

Speaker Nancy Pelosi called President Trump “a clear and present danger” as the House began debating whether to impeach him. Follow live.

Wednesday, January 13, 2021 1:11 PM EST

The House undertook an emotionally charged debate over impeaching President Trump for a historic second time, as lawmakers marched toward an afternoon vote to charge him just one week after he incited a mob of loyalists to storm the Capitol.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/13/us/trump-impeachment?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20210113&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=67673044&segment_id=49195&user_id=6d4c6c3584f0fc31549b1985cc038d84

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

1 hour ago, Sofia said:

BREAKING NEWS

Speaker Nancy Pelosi called President Trump “a clear and present danger” as the House began debating whether to impeach him. Follow live.

Wednesday, January 13, 2021 1:11 PM EST

The House undertook an emotionally charged debate over impeaching President Trump for a historic second time, as lawmakers marched toward an afternoon vote to charge him just one week after he incited a mob of loyalists to storm the Capitol.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/13/us/trump-impeachment?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20210113&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=67673044&segment_id=49195&user_id=6d4c6c3584f0fc31549b1985cc038d84

Personally, I think Pelosi and Trump would make a perfect couple. Don’t tell no one I told you this.  If you you do, it might cause a riot or an uprising.

Edited by Dustparticle

1 minute ago, Lieblingskind said:

So what does it mean exactly that Donald Trump is impeached a 2nd time? What exactly is impeachment?

After asking on the Zoom chat it means the House of Representatives thinks Mr Trump has charges to answer... It's up to the Senate now to vote but they're on holiday

so they could be recalled or they could refuse to reassemble and leave it to Biden to deal with the matter. I think I've got that anyhow......

Some minds are like concrete ...all mixed up and permanently set! 😁

7 minutes ago, Lieblingskind said:

So what does it mean exactly that Donald Trump is impeached a 2nd time? What exactly is impeachment?

They voted him out from being the president, but it was from mostly democrats. Now it goes to the senate and a 3rd of them has to approve the impeachment and most likely that will not happen because the senate is divided in half with Democrats and Republicans. Crazy country. That is why we should stay neutral. Plus, it is a perfect time to sit and watch this soap opera as it goes on. Popcorn, soda, and chocolate is right beside me.

3 minutes ago, runner92 said:

This impeachment thing is silly to me. He will no longer be the president as of next Wednesday. I'm trying to figure out what the end game is.

From Sister Sofia's cited article:

My guess is:  The endgame is to deny him ex-president benefits

and to prevent him from ever holding public office again. 

1995247237_ScreenHunter_02Jan_1315_24.thumb.gif.69bdef040d42840fa1507d91387b3277.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

29 minutes ago, Lieblingskind said:

He has officially been charged with a high crime. He is still innocent under law until proven guilty of the charges in a trial in the senate. His reputation is the thing most likely to suffer.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

The financial ex-president benefits he stands to lose I read is around $200,000/year. Probably also security guard benefits. Criminally charged...wow. Popcorn in hand...anyway, be careful you American brothers and sisters!

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

So a lot of business fall-out for Trump's brand, and apparently the Republicans, too:

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2021/1/11/tracking-the-business-backlash-as-trump-brand-turns-toxic

New York City

New York City is cancelling its contracts with the Trump Organization, Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Wednesday.

“The contracts make very clear if a company and the leadership of that company is engaged in criminal activity, we have the right to sever the contract,” de Blasio told news network MSNBC on Wednesday. “Inciting an insurrection against the US government clearly constitutes criminal activity.”

The mayor said the city is expecting its decision to cut business with the Trump Organization to be met by legal challenges.

Major corporations

American Express announced it would halt donations to Republican lawmakers who opposed certifying Biden’s electoral victory, one of a slew of corporations to do so.

Telecom giants AT&T, Verizon and Comcast Corp, chemical company Dow Inc, multinational conglomerate General Electric and electronics retailer Best Buy all announced they would suspend donations to those lawmakers as well.

Hallmark Cards Inc went a step further, asking two of the lawmakers who objected — Missouri Senator Josh Hawley and Kansas Senator Roger Marshall — to return donations Hallmark had made to their campaigns.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

3 hours ago, Lieblingskind said:

It means he can't run for president for his second term which is when Bidden will complete his 4 years.  So the republican party will have to choose another representative to run against Bidden. It's more than likely as was mentioned for the future since Trump only has a few days left of his office.

3 hours ago, Lieblingskind said:

Impeach means brought up on charges. The US House brings the charges. The Senate then holds a trial to either convict or acquit. 

1868 Andrew Johnson was impeached by the House.  The Senate trial resulted in acquittal. 

1973-1974 Richard Nixon resigned before the House could vote to impeach. 

1998-1999 Bill Clinton was impeached. The Senate convicted him but only sentenced him with censure. 

2019-2020 Trump was impeached by the House. The Senate trial resulted in acquittal. 

Trump is now, again impeached.  The Senate will meet Tuesday to begin the trial process.  However, Trump's last day in office is Wednesday, so any acquittal or conviction would happen after Trump has left office. 

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Impeach means brought up on charges. The US House brings the charges. The Senate then holds a trial to either convict or acquit. 

1868 Andrew Johnson was impeached by the House.  The Senate trial resulted in acquittal. 

1973-1974 Richard Nixon resigned before the House could vote to impeach. 

1998-1999 Bill Clinton was impeached. The Senate convicted him but only sentenced him with censure. 

2019-2020 Trump was impeached by the House. The Senate trial resulted in acquittal. 

Trump is now, again impeached.  The Senate will meet Tuesday to begin the trial process.  However, Trump's last day in office is Wednesday, so any acquittal or conviction would happen after Trump has left office. 

I'm pretty sure Clinton was acquitted. He didn't get the necessary Senate votes to find him guilty. 

As one friend expressed in this thread, viewing this whole Capitol event was quite “disturbing” because of what the building stands for in people’s minds and hearts.

However, as Bible’s students, we should expect such things. 

If we remember what mountains represent at times : human governments or institutions that seem as solid as rocks, strong and permanent as mountains. And suddenly, they shake, on the verge of collapsing. People may feel there is no more security, no more help around, and their world is kind of disappearing. What a disappointment! What a shock!

How grateful we are to be enlightened by the Scriptures and to know about the highest Mountain there is in the universe, which is well established on top of all other very fragile mountains, as they surely show 

As more disturbing events may unfold in the following days, we should remain calm, neutral and cautious as serpents.

It means he can't run for president for his second term which is when Bidden will complete his 4 years.  So the republican party will have to choose another representative to run against Bidden. It's more than likely as was mentioned for the future since Trump only has a few days left of his office.

A conviction would mean that they can hold a vote whether or not he should be able to hold an office of honour, and the presidency might be included in that. But it’s true that they want to stop him from being able to run again in four years, if possible, while also showing that criminal behaviour does not go unnoticed, even if he’s got only a few days left of his term.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

While in office all US  presidents are paid $400,000.00 annually and when they’re not president they are paid $221,400.00 for the rest of his life.  If impeached this benefit is dropped (most don’t need the money) (Truman did)  if he were to resign then he still gets his benefits.