JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Protestors Invade Capitol Building

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1166 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

2 hours ago, Dages said:

Still very tame for a protest. Not much broken things (and that was government stuff, not people personal goods/company), no fire, very few people hurt. Everything over in one evening.

Maybe I'm desensitized because I'm French and we used to have worse every week with the yellow jacket for months before the COVID :D 

Well, I don't believe you are desensitized. You've just seen worse. And weeks and weeks of BLM riots and billions of dollars in property damage and thousands of private citizens lives ruined tops this, unfortunately. 

I think there is a push by the media to make us forget how they encouraged and supported the mass riots and destruction over the summer. 

42 minutes ago, Bob said:

Well, I don't believe you are desensitized. You've just seen worse. And weeks and weeks of BLM riots and billions of dollars in property damage and thousands of private citizens lives ruined tops this, unfortunately. 

I think there is a push by the media to make us forget how they encouraged and supported the mass riots and destruction over the summer. 

Yeah, the world is a mess and we need the Kingdom more than ever.

According to Sky News tweets - US House Democrats start the process to impeach Trump for "incitement of insurrection"

ouse 

Some minds are like concrete ...all mixed up and permanently set! 😁

I don't know about other States but the capitol cities in Oregon and Washington have been preparing for chaos.  From what I've heard from brothers and sisters in Olympia it's already getting scary especially around the Capitol Building for Washington State.

I think it's going to get worse in different parts of the country.

OSP prepares for protests in Salem as National Guard sent to Olympia, WA | KATU

When they surrounded the home of the governor of Washington State they got up to his front door.

Edited by JW2017

Nothing will happen with the 25th Amendment, Pence is opposing in removing Trump.
But they can impeach him or submit it in writing and that will be enough to prevent Trump from running again or be in office.

I believe the 25th Amendment may still be an option..."now" that Pence knows his boss doesn't care about him....

This is crazy...and we ain't see nuffin yet!

10 hours ago, Dages said:

Still very tame for a protest. Not much broken things (and that was government stuff, not people personal goods/company), no fire, very few people hurt. Everything over in one evening.

Maybe I'm desensitized because I'm French and we used to have worse every week with the yellow jacket for months before the COVID :D 

It's not always the amount of damage to buildings or the violence unleashed on people that constitutes the severity of a protest. This protest could have had a much more severe result had those inside not been able to do what they did before the protestors reached the chambers.

The point of this protest, unlike the riots that erupted for "social" reasons, was to stop the votes from being counted and certified. Had the protestors been able to secure the ballot boxes and destroy the ballots they contained the ramifications to the US election process would have been substantial and the aftermath would be far worse than what is now being experienced in the US.

So, while the protest may have seemed "tame" in the attack on buildings and people, the "attack on democracy" was unprecedented. This attack was an attempted coup to overthrow the US government and change the leadership at the highest level. The fact that it failed does not lessen the impact it has had on people in this country.

To fully understand the way people are reacting to this protest you almost need to live in the US.

To be sure, only Jehovah's people have not been "shaken to their foundation" with this protest - we know about the "iron and the clay" and how the turbulence of this system is a precursor to the end of said system ... we look forward to the future instead of becoming faint out of fear.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I wish we had a Political Earthquake Richter scale. I'd love to see how the "insurrection" measures on the scale.

Is it a 3.0? a 3.5?

Is the current reaction an aftershock or tremors leading to the Big One? 

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Supposedly there is supposed to be protests, riots, chaos at all state Capitols in the USA on Sunday, January 17, 2021. So stay home!

https://www.insidernj.com/alert-fbi-reports-armed-protests-planned-50-states/

A bombshell report this afternoon from ABC News: “The FBI has ‘received information about an identified armed group intending to travel to Washington, DC on 16 January. They have warned that if Congress attempts to remove POTUS via the 25th Amendment a huge uprising will occur,’ according to a bulletin obtained by ABC,” reports Aaron Katersky.

A reporter at today’s COVID-19 briefing said alleged insurrectionists plan an action at the Capitol on January 17th.

“We need to bat 1K every day and trust that those who do show up do so in a peaceful manner,” said State Police Colonel Pat Callahan.

And this, from ABC reporter Josh Margolin:

“FBI now reports in a bulletin ‘Armed protests are being planned at all 50 state capitols from 16 January through at least 20 January, and at the US Capitol from 17 January through 20 January.”

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I wish we had a Political Earthquake Richter scale. I'd love to see how the "insurrection" measures on the scale.

Is it a 3.0? a 3.5?

It will always be a tremor leading to the big one.

This is not it yet :D 

39 minutes ago, Dages said:

It will always be a tremor leading to the big one.

This is not it yet :D 

We should start grading political events like earthquakes. There are a lot of similarities..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Dages said:

According to the FBI, more and possibly bigger ones are on the near horizon!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/11/politics/fbi-bulletin-armed-protests-state-us-capitol/index.html

The FBI has received information indicating "armed protests" are being planned at all 50 state capitols and the US Capitol in Washington, DC in the days leading up to President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration on January 20,

View in browser | nytimes.com
The New York Times

BREAKING NEWS

Chad Wolf said he would resign as acting secretary of the Dept. of Homeland Security, the agency in charge of safeguarding the inauguration.

Monday, January 11, 2021 5:49 PM EST

Mr. Wolf resigned just nine days before he was expected to help coordinate the security of a presidential inauguration facing heightened threats of violence.

Peter Gaynor, the administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, will replace him as the acting secretary of the agency.

Source. New York Times

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

I saw on the TV news this morning that they plan to have 15,000 troops at the inauguration. They were asking "spectators" to stay home and watch it on TV so they will not get caught up with the "protestors".

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

29 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I saw on the TV news this morning that they plan to have 15,000 troops at the inauguration. They were asking "spectators" to stay home and watch it on TV so they will not get caught up with the "protestors".

That does it!

I am staying home.

Don't know about watching it on TV though.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Something to remember about nations pulling a coup?

When Americans talk about Civil War, they're talking about Grant and Lee bringing a million men to a battlefield.

In most countries, a coup is two dozen disgruntled ex-cops or soldiers driving up to a government building in a jeep, running inside, and machine-gunning the people in charge. That's something that nearly happened this week. Planning for it to happen in all 50 states?

Iron and Clay.

1 hour ago, Thomas Walker said:

Planning for it to happen in all 50 states?

Exactly, when it happens once, shame on you, when it happens twice? I would imagine that the security will be ultra tight as is already being reported and in every state! I remember as a teen driving with my friends to downtown Detroit during the riots of 67, you know just to take a look, something to do, well all it took was to see the national guard with their m 16's and then the sight of a army tank sitting off to the side, quick exit I 75, my point - the first time the police were clearly out numbered and the mob knew it, fast forward, no fool would dare go up against a heavily gunned army with plenty of back up power at its disposal and probably with more stringent orders. Some of these so called patriots are mentally ill but most are family men and women and do not want to loose their lives or go to prison for 5 - 15 years or longer. Crazy times indeed!

5 hours ago, Thomas Walker said:

In most countries, a coup is two dozen disgruntled ex-cops or soldiers driving up to a government building in a jeep, running inside, and machine-gunning the people in charge. That's something that nearly happened this week. Planning for it to happen in all 50 states?

And they were turned away by city cops? 

On 1/11/2021 at 11:23 AM, Tbs77 said:

I believe the 25th Amendment may still be an option..."now" that Pence knows his boss doesn't care about him....emoji6.png

This is crazy...and we ain't see nuffin yet!emoji2960.pngemoji2962.pngemoji6.png

25th Amendment is no longer in play, Pence refused Pelosi in a letter today. 

I urge those of you who can to make a formal request in writing to your supervisor to allow you to work from home, from now until the 20th. Specifically state that you are requesting this due to "safety" concerns, violence, potential roadblocks, etc. I prayed :praying: wrote the email, and rewrote it several times, sent it off, and got approved.  :yes: