JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Protestors Invade Capitol Building

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1167 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

12 minutes ago, LoneWanderer said:

Yes, I agree. My intention was not to start a political debate, though. With some topics that bring up the emotions it’s very easy to step over the line into political territory even among our brothers.

However, things such as racism will be difficult to understand if we have never experienced it like many of the minorities do. I don’t feel, though, that stating there is institutional racism in the country is out of line. Sadly this mess won’t have a fix until the Kingdom takes over.

We understand that wasn't your intention.  We have to remember, though, there are over 2,000 people on this forum and sensitive political topics have a way of causing ones to "lose their religion" so to speak.  

Thank you for your understanding.

19 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

You know the post office is 2 months behind mailing letters and packages.  I wonder if by now they are just getting our Nov issue of "What Is God's Kingdom" in their mailboxes.  You know the politicians and all the business people we wrote to in November Special Issue of the Watchtower.  

I am not having any trouble getting USPS packages or first class mail. Media mail is really slow, but it is the cheapest and lowest priority.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I saw one video of Trump supporters erecting a big wooden Cross in front of the Capitol building

They must feel their God is on their side....

I think I only saw the Jesus 2020 banner....and a noose!

Come Lord Jesus

Nothing will happen with the 25th Amendment, Pence is opposing in removing Trump.
But they can impeach him or submit it in writing and that will be enough to prevent Trump from running again or be in office.

Get your popcorn or bacon ready ...
impeachment is about to begin

1 hour ago, Old said:

I am not having any trouble getting USPS packages or first class mail. Media mail is really slow, but it is the cheapest and lowest priority.

Br Old, glad your getting your mail but not where I live at. That message about mail being 2 months behind came from my central post office in the state I live in.  It did not come from the media.  I hope my books of stamps come, that helps with my letter writing.  Meantime keeping busy in phone withnessing.  

To me, it's obvious they were let in there. People are in willful denial about the difference in treatment with this one.

They had all that energy, military tanks, and the National Guard for Wendy's and Target being set on fire, but the US Capitol building where the VP and Congress are actively at just gets raided without a fight? Give me a break. They were allowed to create havoc.

Edited by runner92

It may not have a lot to do with protestors and the capitol building, but there definitely have been issues with USPS for at least a couple of months. Deliveries take longer than expected. My wife has a couple of packages supposed to be delivered by USPS earlier this week that are still stuck somewhere. Even then, while some of the political mess might have affected USPS deliveries, all carriers have been experiencing delays due to the sheer volume of packages. When I had my seasonal job that ended in December, we were told to inform the customers that delays should be expected around the holidays even though that company delivered most packages with UPS.

Also, since I've been working on getting my green card renewal process started, I have read on another forum how people have been very unhappy how USPS has lost and delayed their vital immigration packages. And for us having the deal with immigration, timely arrival of the packages is absolutely vital as there usually is a hard deadline you have to have the package delivered by.

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

5 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

Br Old, glad your getting your mail but not where I live at. That message about mail being 2 months behind came from my central post office in the state I live in.  It did not come from the media.  I hope my books of stamps come, that helps with my letter writing.  Meantime keeping busy in phone withnessing.  

Move to Oregon, you will love it! :D

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, runner92 said:

To me, it's obvious they were let in there. People are in willful denial about the difference in treatment with this one.

They had all that energy, military tanks, and the National Guard for Wendy's and Target being set on fire, but the US Capitol building where the VP and Congress are actively at just gets raided without a fight? Give me a break. They were allowed to create havoc.

It's very much possible the officers let them in because the Right wing in the US has been very "pro-police", where as the Left has been very anti-police. So maybe that has influence, and that some or many of the police working there agreed with the sentiments of the people who were storming Congress, (we saw footage of them standing aside, opening gates and taking selfies with the rioters).

Edited by EccentricM

11 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

We've had packages delayed for 6 weeks before final delivery. 

One sister, our COBE 's wife, sent a check in the mail to another sister who lives across the street from her. It took so long that the COBE's wife thought it got lost in the mail so canceled the check, wrote a new one, walked it across the street for delivery.  The check in the mail finally arrived the day after. 

But.... This is getting :offtopic:.  This discussion is about the riot at the Capitol building. 

Edited by Shawnster

11 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

That message about mail being 2 months behind came from my central post office in the state I live in.  It did not come from the media.

He didn't say it did. Media mail is a class of mail delivery provided by the USPS. It has different postage rates than other mail classes.  Media mail is used for mailing magazines, books, CDs, etc... 

8 hours ago, EccentricM said:

It's very much possible the officers let them in because the Right wing in the US has been very "pro-police", where as the Left has been very anti-police. So maybe that has influence, and that some or many of the police working there agreed with the sentiments of the people who were storming Congress, (we saw footage of them standing aside, opening gates and taking selfies with the rioters).

It has very little to do with pro-police/anti-police. As someone who lives among these kinds of people, it becomes very clear that those terms are codewords. 

What they don't tell you is that the majority of the shootings that caused the other protests took place in left-wing controlled cities, and the officers who committed the crimes were still let off the hook. 

Its not right v. left like you think it is, and this current situation showed this plainly. I personally feel all of them were in on what took place Wednesday. They knew this group was coming too. 

Edited by runner92

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/us/online-extremism-inauguration-capitol-invs/index.html

This statement right here is why some humans disturb me... "Patriots who STILL, AT THIS POINT IN TIME, are too cowardly to condone violence, are part of the problem."     

Humans too easily forget an important little word "consequences." Violence only causes more violence in turn and teaches the younger generation that talking is irrelevant... I guess that's exactly what kind of society Satan is striving for.

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

11 hours ago, EccentricM said:

It's very much possible the officers let them in because the Right wing in the US has been very "pro-police", where as the Left has been very anti-police. 

3 hours ago, runner92 said:

Its not right v. left like you think it is, and this current situation showed this plainly. I personally feel all of them were in on what took place Wednesday. They knew this group was coming too. 

Let's leave the political discussion now. 

My husband and I were watching all the reporting over the last few days events. The cameras went to the scene that has caught world wide recognition of the rioters climbing the wall to gain entrance to the Capitol. He quietly said "I still can't get over the irony that his reign will end with his supporters climbing a wall."  I still can't quit laughing.  The irony is so strong with many of the things that have occurred.  The female protestor who died from be trampled on while carrying a flag saying 'Dont tread on me'. The first casualty who was a 14year vet who's one of her last public posts stated she would rather die than live under a Biden administration. Irony isn't always funny.  

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I got a phone call on the 7th from one of the Members of the House. He told me he was glad to get out of Washington DC and has no plans on going back. That "politics was not what he thought it would be like". He did not run for reelection. I think his term is up.

I have no idea how he voted on anything pertaining to the fiasco that occurred since we didn't talk politics. He was just calling to say "Hi". I had called him a week or so ago to see how he was doing since he had tested positive for C-19 a few weeks ago. He was returning my call. We mostly talked about our families, how old our kids are now and how many years we have been married ... he and his wife will be celebrating 46 years in Feb. and we just hit 40 years in Dec.

Now, if only he would listen to what the Bible says -

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, Dages said:

Luke 21:25 comes to mind. The sea is agitated.

It reminds of Isaiah 57:20 & 21 it says:But the wicked are like the restless sea that cannot calm down,And its waters keep tossing up seaweed and mire.  21 There is no peace,” says my God, “for the wicked

On 1/7/2021 at 6:20 AM, Dages said:

That was short and relatively quiet for a protest. 

This was a violent protest and they invaded the capitol building.   Other protests concerning the same issue in other cities such as the capitol of Washington State were also violent.  As I mentioned earlier protestors shook the security gate at the Governor's home in Olympia, Washington until it opened and surrounded his home.  An elder in Olympia (The capitol of WA) said that even before that happened the week before, his work which is close to down town Olympia had to shut down because there were out of control protestors carrying guns all over the area.  

Edited by JW2017

9 hours ago, JW2017 said:

This was a violent protest and they invaded the capitol building.   Other protests concerning the same issue in other cities such as the capitol of Washington State were also violent.  As I mentioned earlier protestors shook the security gate at the Governor's home in Olympia, Washington until it opened and surrounded his home.  An elder in Olympia (The capitol of WA) said that even before that happened the week before, his work which is close to down town Olympia had to shut down because there were out of control protestors carrying guns all over the area.  

Still very tame for a protest. Not much broken things (and that was government stuff, not people personal goods/company), no fire, very few people hurt. Everything over in one evening.

Maybe I'm desensitized because I'm French and we used to have worse every week with the yellow jacket for months before the COVID :D 

Edited by Dages

I initially thought the protest didn’t seem very violent but have since watched several reports that squashed that idea.

The police officer dragged down the steps and ruthlessly beaten with an American flag (not the officer who died after being hit with a fire extinguisher), cries of “Hang Pence!” and the cop screaming for help when he was trapped by that steel door while rioters tried to rip his helmet off were only a FEW of the disgusting acts caught on video. Cops were overwhelmed by the size of the crowd and reportedly, one woman protestor was trampled to death. Pure chaos.

Also, social media posts show that rioters were deadly serious (no pun intended) about looking to harm certain ‘targeted’ politicians. 

A very dark day and fears that worse lies ahead. Bible prophecy about the iron and the clay not mixing makes it all somewhat unsurprising but I can’t say it’s not disturbing.