JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1116 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Elders in our congregation are looking for Brothers and Sisters who are "expert level" in programming (i think?) [they have a detailed list of skills] who are available to work minimum of 15hrs a week. They will be working directly with the World Headquarters.

Have you heard about this in your congregation? Do you think they are building a new app? (I'm from the Philippines btw)

Sent from my RMX1971 using Tapatalk

These are the specific skills they were looking for. They didn't announce it in our meeting. They just asked some (including me) if they know someone in the congregation who have skills like this.

Maybe with this we can have an idea of what type of app they are building?

1. Mobile App development:
*IOS, Android, Windows UPW
*Swift/Objective C, Java, C#, Xamarin, JavaScript, TypeScript

2. Client-side web development:
*JavaScript / TypeScript
*Angular / Vue.js
*HTML5 / SASS
* Skills in Internalization and/or Accessibility

3. Client-side desktop development:
*C# / .Net / .Net Core / Entity Framework /Modern C++ / Python

4. Server-side development:
*SQL / GraphQL
*Node.js / C# / .Net / .Net Core / Entity Framework / Python
*Experience in building search engine services
*Experience building & operating containerized applications
*Experience in AWS "serverless" services, including Lambda, DinamoBD, Cloudformation SNS, SQS, S3
*Experience with data structures and algorithms / time & space complexity / concurrent programs / machine learning
*Experience with automated testing

To be “expert level” in something in the context of doing work for Bethel means more than just being knowledgeable on a given topic or skill; you must be able to train and teach others that skill as well. This is made clear when applying for Bethel service, as there are three levels of proficiency that you are asked to select from when listing your skills: semiskilled, meaning you can work in this field with limited supervision, skilled, meaning you can work in this field without supervision, and expert, meaning you can train others in this skill. World headquarters has numerous projects going at any given time, each with their own timeframe. It’s entirely possible they are developing a new app, or it could be some other project that requires the upskilling of several people in specific technical skills.

I know of one Brother who is currently serving as a CO here in the US who is expert level at trouble shooting code - it is what he did before he entered the Circuit work.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

3 hours ago, Karlo Esteban said:

These are the specific skills they were looking for. They didn't announce it in our meeting. They just asked some (including me) if they know someone in the congregation who have skills like this.

The US elders received that letter last October. We have some IT brothers in the congregation that were told about the letter but I don't think any of them had the programming skills the Branch was looking for.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Or some type of app that will allow direct integration of in person meetings along with KHConf and Zoom type conferencing for when we return to using the KH - since there may be many who may not feel safe/comfortable returning to a "crowded" building and would prefer to continue attending via tele-conference.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Remember they consolidated halls to make better use of funds...Zoom Premium is expensive especially if you only have 75 - 100 devices joining. Plus the issue with Zoom Bombing, Update issues that some of the friends seems to be the reason for this undertaking. Plus we know JW Box - JW Satellite are currently working right now. It would seem like now would be the best time to create and develop this type of an app to be used now...during the GT and definitely in the new world to give us all the proper food at the right time...Be patient, things will be revealed in due time...Just remember Jehovah is a God of Order and Organization. 😉 

Im usimg Nextcloud talk. We are using it as family for video, chat, audio calling. Server working with android and ios apps. With browser too Its selfhosted with many more functions (contacts, calendar and files sync.
With Without performance backend is possible 4-6 concurrent calls. With performance backend (which is opensource too), limit is server hardware.
With no much work good alternative

On 4/11/2021 at 4:59 AM, Karlo Esteban said:

Elders in our congregation are looking for Brothers and Sisters who are "expert level" in programming (i think?) [they have a detailed list of skills] who are available to work minimum of 15hrs a week. They will be working directly with the World Headquarters.

Have you heard about this in your congregation? Do you think they are building a new app? (I'm from the Philippines btw)

I have programming skills, am a remote volunteer, but didn't hear about it... In fact since I was accepted as a volunteer I was not called for anything (it was already during the pandemic last year)...

17 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

I have programming skills, am a remote volunteer, but didn't hear about it... In fact since I was accepted as a volunteer I was not called for anything (it was already during the pandemic last year)...

The US Branch sent a letter last October and it sounds like the Philippines Branch just sent the letter, it's possible your Branch hasn't sent the letter yet.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

54 minutes ago, Susan Cook said:

Would anybody lose love to see a ‘Playlist’ option in the  JW Library app.. so one can schedule viewings of various different videos?

OR a ‘search’ function would be very handy, too.

That sounds great! 

Then you could do a playlist for the new songs with videos and have that play on the TV at a gathering (when we can have them again).

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

On 4/11/2021 at 4:53 PM, Brandon said:

I wonder if they’re planning for JWS Studio to be released as a native app...

Of course I don't know anything but I think this is unlikely. An app involves a lot of work. It's not just to develop it, you need to adapt it to several different platforms: Windows, Android, iPad... Not to mention fragmentation. Then you need to keep updating it constantly as new versions of those systems introduce new issues.

On the other hand, the way it is now, by means of a website, works perfectly on all platforms and requires much less work. So IMO there are not many chances JW Streaming Studio will be made an app.

7 hours ago, carlos said:

Of course I don't know anything but I think this is unlikely. An app involves a lot of work. It's not just to develop it, you need to adapt it to several different platforms: Windows, Android, iPad... Not to mention fragmentation. Then you need to keep updating it constantly as new versions of those systems introduce new issues.

On the other hand, the way it is now, by means of a website, works perfectly on all platforms and requires much less work. So IMO there are not many chances JW Streaming Studio will be made an app.

Yeah thats if they wanted to make a native app...but that already exists. We already have it on Windows, Android, iOS. Remember JW Broadcasting and WOL were combined into JW.org. KHCONF is a beautiful software that has been used for many years now. Zoom costs lots of money and has some security issues if Zoom Bombed...Yes we have higher security but this can still be bypassed if those codes are posted online. The same can be said about Zoom Outages. Just step back to see the bigger picture maybe depending on your Operating System (OS) Look at the Hamburger Lines or at the bottom of your screen with the Icons. 😉

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, we have increased the capacity for each congregation to 250 connections. No action is required on your part to use the additional capacity. KHCONF is a specialized Internet-based audio and video streaming service created just for congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is used to assist congregation members to enjoy congregation meetings they are unable to attend in person.

Just be patient, if we ever return to the Kingdom Halls this won't be a wasted effort...Since there are many situations where this can be used. Think long term...JWSatalite, JWBox, Ramapo...WINK WINK...Especially during the GT and Beyond. 

Stream-Studio.png