JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

IT being continuously used in the NW?

Atleast no microsoft.....

I can see it possibly... But not the scale it is now... Definately all decisions will be made regarding health issues and hour stewardship of the planet...

I imagine all science topics will all be revisited... And everything in imagination thats misinformation will be gone...

Jehovah does seem to let us figure some things out

. but he tells us that were never going to know all.

Edited by vern

12 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Hmmm...

It's a good thing we have a 1000 years to coordinate the largest demolition and reconstruction project the world has ever seen, then coordinate teaching billions of people from countless cultures and do all of that without technology while you are wandering through the woods. :lol1:

As one circuit overseer said, "stick around long enough, and you'll find out".  Jesus didn't need technology.  Even Peter got 3,000 baptized in one day without it.  (Acts 2:41).  Technology is too heavily relied on.  So much so, we cannot imagine life without it.  :(

9 hours ago, Dages said:

The problem isn't technology. The problem is people... 2 Tim 3:1-5 isn't about tech.

Technology is fine when used properly.

I don't want to miss the birth of a new member of my family just because I'm on the other side of the planet... Or the galaxy :D

You are correct, the problem is with people.  But....

9 hours ago, Hope said:

Or weddings or new houses or graduations or resurrection reunions or conventions around the world or... or... 🥰

...use your imagination.  You might have 100 family members today, but in the new world, that is going to scale much differently.  Between resurrected family and new family, you may end up with 10,000 family members.  And while we're actually using our imagination...imagine if Adam and Eve were still alive.  The entire human race would be their family!

And 10,000 is just being conservatives since we don't know how long Jehovah will allow us to have kids.  But can you imagine being constantly pinged to go to a wedding?  A graduation?  A family gathering?  If you got 100,000 friends you're connected to (cuz no one is dying, everyone is trustworthy, everyone is worth being a friend), can you imagine yourself ever getting anything done with all the texts and notifications and invites?

Things scale differently in the new world.  Imagine that!

Once again, I am in favor of having a closer relationship with angels.  We may be doing and interacting a lot more with them.  They can bring us good news that we really care about (like a new resurrected family member).  And then perhaps they can carry us to them, or give us the miracle of speed like Elisha (Elijah) to run to see them.  >:D<

Edited by computerwiz

20 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

(Isaiah 65:17)

For look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth;

And the former things will not be called to mind,

Nor will they come up into the heart.

Great scripture, but what does it have to do with technology?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, computerwiz said:

As one circuit overseer said, "stick around long enough, and you'll find out".  Jesus didn't need technology.  Even Peter got 3,000 baptized in one day without it.  (Acts 2:41).  Technology is too heavily relied on.  So much so, we cannot imagine life without it.  :(

You are correct, the problem is with people.  But....

...use your imagination.  You might have 100 family members today, but in the new world, that is going to scale much differently.  Between resurrected family and new family, you may end up with 10,000 family members.  And while we're actually using our imagination...imagine if Adam and Eve were still alive.  The entire human race would be their family!

And 10,000 is just being conservatives since we don't know how long Jehovah will allow us to have kids.  But can you imagine being constantly pinged to go to a wedding?  A graduation?  A family gathering?  If you got 100,000 friends you're connected to (cuz no one is dying, everyone is trustworthy, everyone is worth being a friend), can you imagine yourself ever getting anything done with all the texts and notifications and invites?

Things scale differently in the new world.  Imagine that!

Once again, I am in favor of having a closer relationship with angels.  We may be doing and interacting a lot more with them.  They can bring us good news that we really care about (like a new resurrected family member).  And then perhaps they can carry us to them, or give us the miracle of speed like Elisha (Elijah) to run to see them.  >:D<

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I'm sorry. 🤷🏽‍♀️  I can't see angels reduced to being our mass transit. Or even running speed being sufficient to cross oceans or mountains. And forget bringing luggage.. 

No one is going to hear about every detail from everyone's life- you're right.. how to get things done? But receiving a photo, video clip, email with details will be nice when we have time to look at them.  So- yay for technology!  🥰

49 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Great scripture, but what does it have to do with technology?

Former things - is there any context that limits it to just bad things? Is it not broad enough to possibly include technology?

19 minutes ago, Hope said:

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I'm sorry. 🤷🏽‍♀️  I can't see angels reduced to being our mass transit. Or even running speed being sufficient to cross oceans or mountains. And forget bringing luggage.. 

No one is going to hear about every detail from everyone's life- you're right.. how to get things done? But receiving a photo, video clip, email with details will be nice when we have time to look at them.  So- yay for technology!  🥰

No worries Hope. As I said, the world has worked fine without technology for thousands of years (pyramids anyone??) We don't need it to rebuild. Would it be nice, sure. But it's not needed.

I'm done after this post. I'm just trying to share my imagination, not debate. And hopefully expand others imagination and reasoning as well. :squeeze:

Edited by computerwiz

Well since so much from Star Trek has already become a reality, I expect us to one day be wearing pins we tap and just start talking to whoever we need to. LOL

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

3 minutes ago, BLEmom said:

Well since so much from Star Trek has already become a reality, I expect us to one day be wearing pins we tap and just start talking to whoever we need to. LOL

Oh, you heard about the Annual Meeting announcement already???

You did notice brother Losch ring didn't you..?

:lol1:

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, computerwiz said:

No worries Hope. As I said, the world has worked fine without technology for thousands of years (pyramids anyone??) We don't need it to rebuild. Would it be nice, sure. But it's not needed.

I think it depends on what you consider technology. The moment Adam invented a comb to arrange his hair, or a fork, or a plow not to have to dig furrows with his hands, he was using technology.

A mattock and a shovel is technology, so is a lamp or a horse-drawn cart. Where do we draw the line? At phone lines? Electricity? But Jehovah must have created electricity for some reason. At cars? Hot-air balloons? Computers?

How will we be able to research Jehovah's creation without telescopes, microscopes, chemistry, computers? Of course technology in the new world will be completely different, respectful to the environment, not based on greed, no rush. But I am confident we will always have technology at our disposal. :)

1 hour ago, carlos said:

I think it depends on what you consider technology. The moment Adam invented a comb to arrange his hair, or a fork, or a plow not to have to dig furrows with his hands, he was using technology.

A mattock and a shovel is technology, so is a lamp or a horse-drawn cart. Where do we draw the line? At phone lines? Electricity? But Jehovah must have created electricity for some reason. At cars? Hot-air balloons? Computers?

How will we be able to research Jehovah's creation without telescopes, microscopes, chemistry, computers? Of course technology in the new world will be completely different, respectful to the environment, not based on greed, no rush. But I am confident we will always have technology at our disposal. :)

Thank you!  You are digging deeper on this topic...this is what I was looking for.  So now I have to go back on what I said and continue this discussion.  :raspberry:

You are correct, "technology" is too broad a term.  I did give some specific examples earlier, but I should have provided a definition, not just examples.  I should say more specifically I don't think we will have the internet, social media, gadgets that keep us constantly connected and entertained.  Then I extend it to things that can be dangerous, like cars (hitting animals that are crossing the road, "destroying" parts of earth just to make way for our travels).  Large plants that require people to work to provide electricity to everyone.  Things of that nature.

We need to keep in mind we are not trying to recreate the financial ecosystem as well.  The things we have only exist because people are paid to work.  If we don't have money in the new world, how do we fill 100 positions in a plant to generate electricity and maintain it?  If we ever get to the point of that kind of technology, it would probably have to be very very different, and self-sustaining so we don't tie people down to jobs.  That being the case, I don't see us using the current technology at all...I see us starting over from scratch, and leave out junk like social media & the internet (due to reasons I stated earlier).

You bring up methods of studying nature, very good point!  I see no problem with technology like that.  Good idea!  >:D<  Now...let's dig into this idea.  Microscopes were invented in the 1590s.  Electricity was invented in the 1800s.  So if we can make and use things like that without electricity, then it stands to reason that it will be an early restored device for sure.  Why do I have a problem with electricity?  Because the majority of it is produced with methods that pollute and ruin the earth.  If we can quickly get away from that, then perhaps we will have more technology at the beginning (still no smartphones and internet though).  But I don't think that will be a priority at the beginning of our restoration... 

We can explain to people what is going on (they just had a very earth-shattering experience...resurrection) without devices.  We will have their full attention, and they'll probably listen to our every word.  Hopefully...

I love the image of the home in lesson 33 of the new book. I wonder if I will need technology to build a home like that...😁

Hm… very interesting..

I’ve always wondered if energy resources we’re using now

are like what Jehovah would say : “What are you guys even using? Electricity? What’s that?”

(Although Jehovah would know what it is , but just for the sake of illustrating)

or like “Oh, how did you know I’d let you use it? But you’re using it wrong.”

So are we only misusing energy resources?

Or

Have we created monsters that were never in God’s intention at all?

(Like drugs or guns.)

5 hours ago, computerwiz said:

I should say more specifically I don't think we will have the internet, social media, gadgets that keep us constantly connected and entertained

In paradise you can choose to disconnect.  You don't have to be "constantly connected". It's a choice, involving self-discipline.

Large plants that require people to work to provide electricity to everyone. 

Now this is interesting. You seem to imply that Paradise means not working, yet Ecclesiastes says that Jehovah blesses people with work. Work is not something to be avoided. We will always have work to do, for all eternity. 

The things we have only exist because people are paid to work.  If we don't have money in the new world, how do we fill 100 positions in a plant to generate electricity and maintain it? 

Work can be pleasurable in itself.  In paradise it won't have anything to do with money. Building a civilization, expanding the Earth, with all its infrastructure, will be a lot of work. Have you thought about our waste system? How will we dispose of waste? Technology has developed in order to make things easier. Most people don't want to have to bury their poop with a shovel everyday, or go to an outhouse. You could.  But I imagine most people wouldn't want to. What about irrigation? If we don't come up with technological ideas to make this easier and faster, then we are so busy meeting basic daily needs, we never get to travel. Even today, farmers rarely take vacations. It's not in their culture. It's too impractical with all the daily chores required of them.

Large plants that require people to work to provide electricity to everyone

With billions of people possibly being resurrected there has to be some infrastructure to support everyone. Jehovah is a god of organization so it seems there may be industrial type jobs as part of our assignments. You will find that we have discussed this many times on this forum and it always ends with the same question.

"Who will make the toilet paper?"

12 hours ago, computerwiz said:

I should say more specifically I don't think we will have the internet, social media, gadgets that keep us constantly connected and entertained.  Then I extend it to things that can be dangerous, like cars (hitting animals that are crossing the road, "destroying" parts of earth just to make way for our travels).  Large plants that require people to work to provide electricity to everyone.  Things of that nature.

I agree that whatever kind of technology we have in the new world will be completely different than what we have today. The whole philosophy behind those devices will be completely different.

Now for some things there will need to exist factories. Richard has already mentioned toilet paper, but what about paper or screws? You can't make those at home. Those are products that are much easier to produce massively. Someone will have to work to produce those, unless we develop machines that take care of the repetitive work. But it's not unthinkable that we have to take shifts to do some of those jobs.

Electricity is wonderful and surely Jehovah created it with some purpose. We already have means to produce and store energy without polluting the environment, but they are more expensive and less efficient than traditional methods. In the new world greed and efficiency will not be an issue, and we will be able to obtain energy from tides, wind, volcanoes, whatever.

Jehovah created people with a huge ability to invent new things to resolve problems. It's unimaginable what a perfect humankind with an eternity ahead will be able to invent. :)

9 hours ago, M.J. said:

Now this is interesting. You seem to imply that Paradise means not working, yet Ecclesiastes says that Jehovah blesses people with work. Work is not something to be avoided.

:facepalmpo2:Don't take my words to extremes.  Of course I want to work.  My problem is the constant 8 to 5 job, with no window, no sun, doing the same thing day in and day out without variety.  That is working to live, not living to work.  Big difference.  There is enjoyable, variety of work, which I look forward to.  Right now, I'm stuck with a job I hate, because it pays well and doesn't interfere with my meetings.  I'm good at it, but sick and tired of it.  I want change! :(

9 hours ago, Tortuga said:

With billions of people possibly being resurrected there has to be some infrastructure to support everyone. Jehovah is a god of organization so it seems there may be industrial type jobs as part of our assignments. You will find that we have discussed this many times on this forum and it always ends with the same question.

"Who will make the toilet paper?"

Good point!   Now you're digging deeper too.  :tongue:  This has actually caused me to re-evaluate things a little bit.  But c'mon man!  Toilet paper is not the end-all, be-all to the decision! :lol2:  Like it or not, there's a thing called a bidet, and it is less environmentally destructive and wasteful than toilet paper.  B)

2 hours ago, carlos said:

I agree that whatever kind of technology we have in the new world will be completely different than what we have today. The whole philosophy behind those devices will be completely different.

Now for some things there will need to exist factories. Richard has already mentioned toilet paper, but what about paper or screws? You can't make those at home. Those are products that are much easier to produce massively. Someone will have to work to produce those, unless we develop machines that take care of the repetitive work. But it's not unthinkable that we have to take shifts to do some of those jobs.

Electricity is wonderful and surely Jehovah created it with some purpose. We already have means to produce and store energy without polluting the environment, but they are more expensive and less efficient than traditional methods. In the new world greed and efficiency will not be an issue, and we will be able to obtain energy from tides, wind, volcanoes, whatever.

Jehovah created people with a huge ability to invent new things to resolve problems. It's unimaginable what a perfect humankind with an eternity ahead will be able to invent. :)

Now based on these new ideas and concepts, I have new conclusions:

1. Jehovah may allow enough time in this system of things for renewable energy to become more widespread, at least widespread enough that it will support the remaining population after Armageddon.  We can use that renewable energy (like solar, wind, water) and expand on it, so we are ready and can accommodate resurrected ones.  I highly doubt we will be using anything that contributes to contaminating or destroying the earth.  When the population is reduced by 1000x, the little bit of renewables that survive should be enough.
  2. There is no evidence (at least none that I can remember) of angels assisting with building projects.  With that new thought in mind, I'm inclined to agree we will need machines and tools to help cleanup this world.  Jehovah gives humans the dignity to do and figure out things for themselves.  That probably won't change.

Good points everyone!  >:D<  I'm becoming more inclined to believe we will have technology.  But I still say no internet/social media!!!  :raspberry:

49 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Like it or not, there's a thing called a bidet, and it is less environmentally destructive and wasteful than toilet paper. 

....water supply piping, valves, pumps, electricity, porcelain, sewage system...who makes all of that? Or do you plan for 20 billion people to use a bucket of water and a tent peg forever? :lol1:

11 minutes ago, Dages said:

Just JWtalk :D 

Right. And email, etc. I believe the internet is THE biggest boon to communication and bringing people together since speaking to each other in real life. Never before have we been able to send/receive information from millions, around the world- at once.  It is brilliant and I see no reason for it to go away.

If individuals would rather not, that's their choice. But I believe a lot of info will be necessary to distribute after Armageddon and waiting for horses and boats to carry letters will not be efficient 

Right now, I'm stuck with a job I hate, because it pays well and doesn't interfere with my meetings.  I'm good at it, but sick and tired of it.  I want change

If you were doing that same job at World Headquarters, would you feel different about the job?

The issue isn't technology or industrial type jobs, the real issue is how we feel about them in this system.

I highly doubt we will be using anything that contributes to contaminating or destroying the earth.  When the population is reduced by 1000x, the little bit of renewables that survive should be enough.

Yes, very true. And we will be able to make them even better.

On the other hand, with such a small population (initially) and with our respect for the planet our waste produce won't have a significant impact in the environment.