JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

IT being continuously used in the NW?

31 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Also it will take many years before we stop using the current technology. So just because Armageddon comes that doesn't mean we will instantly stop using what we have. We will continue to use what we have until we are directed otherwise.

Yes, Jehovah may sustain IT like the Exodus shoes and clothes

On 4/22/2021 at 6:42 PM, Katty said:

If you're learning programming a bit later in life, as I have, you might want to focus on more web development, as it's generally less involved than full on software development.  That's the neat about learning coding: you have a wide array of options and there's a variety of learning materials in each one.
The biggest problems is often deciding which language to start with. Personally, I think, it's good to at least learn a little C/C++, myself, at least enough to understand how programming works, because most languages are C based, and, if web development interests you, try doing things in "vanilla" javascript (pure javascript without a framework like Angular 2, React, or Vue). 

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer! 
What do you think about app development? Similar to web dev?

Is web dev more.. practical? In terms of economic benefits?

17 hours ago, VisualizeUrParadise said:

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer! 
What do you think about app development? Similar to web dev?

Is web dev more.. practical? In terms of economic benefits?

There are a lot of different routes to app development. It's just a case of feeling out what feels most comfortable.
You could take the web development to app development route, and learn the things I had mentioned in the previous post then learn React Native or go the route of learning C# and using something like Xamarin. Or if you just want to do App Game development, you can use Unity.  There are WYSIWYG solutions on Unity that might cost extra, but there's the benefit of a quicker learning curve, because WYSIWYG(what you see is what you get) means no coding necessary. 

There are many resources on youtube on how to get started with apps.

5 hours ago, Katty said:

There are a lot of different routes to app development. It's just a case of feeling out what feels most comfortable.
You could take the web development to app development route, and learn the things I had mentioned in the previous post then learn React Native or go the route of learning C# and using something like Xamarin. Or if you just want to do App Game development, you can use Unity.  There are WYSIWYG solutions on Unity that might cost extra, but there's the benefit of a quicker learning curve, because WYSIWYG(what you see is what you get) means no coding necessary. 

There are many resources on youtube on how to get started with apps.

What about flutter? sounded very efficient..

• 4 weeks later...

Now I'm learning Flutter.

But also I've come to know the existence of machine code.

If I understood right, a machine code is a machine language developed by CPU manufacturers.

All the programming languages are actually compilers.. translators so that what we code can be understood by machines,

which means, when these factories are gone through GT, no more machine codes.. and no more programming languages.

Who knows how long it'll take to restore them?

I think it might take at least a couple of hundred years before any program. lang. is resurrected.  

Remember Y2K. People thought stuff stuff was going to suddenly stop working. Most everything kept going. When the GT comes and the end stuff will still work. Look at what the world has accomplished in just the last 50 years or less. Imagine what can be done in a short time with us working together in unity and with Jehovah's direction. 

Be haapy with food and shelter first..... We.ll need to reavaluate everything in conjunction of enviornmental impacts and animal care.  Danger to human health... And resource gathering..... And Jehovahs time table may not be fast the way many seem to think fast should be.....

52 minutes ago, vern said:

Be haapy with food and shelter first..... We.ll need to reavaluate everything in conjunction of enviornmental impacts and animal care.  Danger to human health... And resource gathering..... And Jehovahs time table may not be fast the way many seem to think fast should be.....

Slow Motion Art GIF

• 3 months later...
On 4/11/2021 at 2:32 AM, VisualizeUrParadise said:

IT(information technology) like cell phones, computers and so on, do you think they’ll be used right after GT or some time after GT?

Because if so, computer programming languages will keep being used in the NW.

I’ve been always interested in computer programming (Now I know nothing about it) but also I’ve always feared seeing everything I’d learn if I do learn programming get destroyed with the start of the NW. 

I also used to be quite interested in making computer games. But I never actually tried to do it. Always thought it’s time-consuming and not a good job market in Korea. 

I've thought about this many times, and here's my conclusion:

No technology (such as computers, social networking, video games) in the new world.  We might have machines (like cars and tractors), but there's an argument against that as well.

Why?

You have FOREVER to live.  Why do you need instant communication?  Why do you need to be connected all the time?  Personally, I find that technology drives us away from creation and the Creator.  It has turned people into mindless zombies that need instant gratification and have no regard for what's right in front of them.

Case in point...I recently reviewed a video I took from a NASA field trip I went on about 20 years ago.  The cell phone at that time was the Nokia brick.  The kids my age were all happy and looking at each other and engaged in conversation.  You barely see that today.  Everyone today is hunched over like a cave man staring into their glowing rectangular box.

***rant over, and yes I know the irony because I'm "computerwiz" and sitting here typing this out instead of doing other things.  I honestly will be glad when technology is gone :whistling:  And just because I complain about these consequences doesn't mean I'm not guilty of being a hunched over mindless zombie myself sometimes. :raspberry:***

So what will change in the new world?  The technology will be better?  How?  If everyone is connected, you risk the same issues.  Distraction, anxiety, etc.  These are consequences of our environment and stimuli, not us as human beings.  A young child is happy when ignorant and clueless...they learn to be anxious as they are exposed to dangers and the complexities of life.  Hmm...complexities.  Is technology complex?  :yes:

Then there's the idea of perfection.  Does that mean everyone will be able to grasp technology?  A hammer is perfect for driving in a nail, but not for chopping down a tree.  Human perfection involves not getting sick and dying, and being able to serve Jehovah perfectly.  Perfection does not mean everyone will be good with technology.  Maybe I'm wrong, but our differences make life enjoyable.  So then does that mean I'm gonna have to be tech-support for 100 people in the new world???  But I wanna go out and explore everything!!!

Speaking of understanding technology....are we gonna have to teach resurrected ones about technology first??  Wouldn't it be simpler if we just taught them from the Bible, text that they're probably already familiar with?  How many times have we been instructed to find common ground with those we are studying with?  Start with what they're familiar with!  I highly doubt electronics will come into play here...

Sure sure sure...the holy spirit could make it easy for all to understand.  Could make everyone understand tech without us needing to teach.  But if He's gonna do that, why doesn't He just put all the knowledge into everyone's head already?  So obviously, we can't go down that route...

Conclusion: Jehovah wants us to live a simple life, even in the new world.  Rely on him.  Rely on his angels (who perhaps will bring us the news we seek, like resurrected ones we know).  No need for tech...we will get info from them.

Just my opinion...

On 4/11/2021 at 10:02 AM, VisualizeUrParadise said:

Could it be a good idea to learn some coding at this time? 

Do you have a passion for computers?  Do you have a curious nature, a quest for more knowledge?  Are you organized and meticulous?  Do you stick with projects from beginning to end?

If your answer to all of these questions is "Yes", then perhaps so.  I'm a software developer...we are much needed.  But I can also say I've worked with 8 other "developers", and only 4 were "good".  It's tough to find good talent!  And if I was looking to hire you, I'd need to see a portfolio with samples.  So if you're looking for a job doing this, you'll have to have some sample work to prove you can handle it.  :wink:

So the next question would be, is it worth all the time and effort for you?  I think that's why one person suggested learning to be a better publisher instead.  :lol:  Learning good programming is not something you casually do.  Sure, there's some WYSIWYG programs out there, which one person mentioned, but that's not what's going to land you a solid job.  :nope:

There are other aspects of "programming" that might be more suitable for you.  Like being a Business Analyst (one who translates what the customer needs into requirements to give to the developer).  A system architect (design the layout and feel of the program, let someone else do the coding).  Project Manager.  Etcetera.  Those can be well-paying jobs, without the headache of learning software development.  It really depends on you...

1 hour ago, computerwiz said:

I've thought about this many times, and here's my conclusion:

No technology (such as computers, social networking, video games) in the new world.  We might have machines (like cars and tractors), but there's an argument against that as well.

Why?

You have FOREVER to live.  Why do you need instant communication?  Why do you need to be connected all the time?  Personally, I find that technology drives us away from creation and the Creator.  It has turned people into mindless zombies that need instant gratification and have no regard for what's right in front of them.

Case in point...I recently reviewed a video I took from a NASA field trip I went on about 20 years ago.  The cell phone at that time was the Nokia brick.  The kids my age were all happy and looking at each other and engaged in conversation.  You barely see that today.  Everyone today is hunched over like a cave man staring into their glowing rectangular box.

***rant over, and yes I know the irony because I'm "computerwiz" and sitting here typing this out instead of doing other things.  I honestly will be glad when technology is gone :whistling:  And just because I complain about these consequences doesn't mean I'm not guilty of being a hunched over mindless zombie myself sometimes. :raspberry:***

So what will change in the new world?  The technology will be better?  How?  If everyone is connected, you risk the same issues.  Distraction, anxiety, etc.  These are consequences of our environment and stimuli, not us as human beings.  A young child is happy when ignorant and clueless...they learn to be anxious as they are exposed to dangers and the complexities of life.  Hmm...complexities.  Is technology complex?  :yes:

Then there's the idea of perfection.  Does that mean everyone will be able to grasp technology?  A hammer is perfect for driving in a nail, but not for chopping down a tree.  Human perfection involves not getting sick and dying, and being able to serve Jehovah perfectly.  Perfection does not mean everyone will be good with technology.  Maybe I'm wrong, but our differences make life enjoyable.  So then does that mean I'm gonna have to be tech-support for 100 people in the new world???  But I wanna go out and explore everything!!!

Speaking of understanding technology....are we gonna have to teach resurrected ones about technology first??  Wouldn't it be simpler if we just taught them from the Bible, text that they're probably already familiar with?  How many times have we been instructed to find common ground with those we are studying with?  Start with what they're familiar with!  I highly doubt electronics will come into play here...

Sure sure sure...the holy spirit could make it easy for all to understand.  Could make everyone understand tech without us needing to teach.  But if He's gonna do that, why doesn't He just put all the knowledge into everyone's head already?  So obviously, we can't go down that route...

Conclusion: Jehovah wants us to live a simple life, even in the new world.  Rely on him.  Rely on his angels (who perhaps will bring us the news we seek, like resurrected ones we know).  No need for tech...we will get info from them.

Just my opinion...

Thanks a lot for taking your time to write these!! : - )

Coming from a real-life programmer, I find your opinion reliable. 

The only thing that makes me still wonder would be, however, is free will

If many people, (even if they are 10 millions) want computer technology and study it and make it,

as long as they are not violating Jehovah's principles, will it be possible to stop them? or keep them from what they are doing?

But it's not like I strongly disagree with you. No cell phone life! I would love it.

I'd love to use birds or other forms to delivers messages..haha.

But I can't imagine a society where IT is legally prohibited forever 

Edited by VisualizeUrParadise

26 minutes ago, VisualizeUrParadise said:

Thanks a lot for taking your time to write these!! : - )

Coming from a real-life programmer, I find your opinion reliable. 

The only thing that makes me still wonder would be, however, is free will

If many people, (even if they are 10 millions) want computer technology and study it and make it,

as long as they are not violating Jehovah's principles, will it be possible to stop them? or keep them from what they are doing?

But it's not like I strongly disagree with you. No cell phone life! I would love it.

I'd love to use birds or other forms to delivers messages..haha.

But I can't imagine a society where IT is legally prohibited forever 

Good point on free will.  Now consider this:

1. Before COVID, me and my wife went on cruises yearly.  Every time, we make the comment on how nice it is to be disconnected.  We are forced to experience that.  When we return, we have to go back to our technology.  Why?  Because that's life...can't live without it.  Now, imagine a world where everyone is forced to live without it (at least temporarily, while everything is destroyed).  And you know what life was like with technology, and you get to see how much better it is without it.  And now....you have no need to go back to it.  Don't need it for work.  Don't need it for Facebook.  Everything is kaput.  You experience the bliss of freedom from enslavement to incessant notifications & updates.  Wow....I like this.  I can get used to this.  Why put forth a ton of effort trying to restore the internet & whatnot.  This is nice.  So...opinions will change once they experience the difference.  Just like us when we go cruising.  >:D<
  2. Free will does not come without restrictions.  There will be new scrolls opened.  There will be restrictions from Jehovah.  We can't just do whatever we want.  He might say "no technology".  Doesn't matter if you liked it or not, He knows what's best, and He knows what happens when we are "plugged in".  Gotta listen to Him.  Now....an interesting thought would be that "yes, technology does come back".  And that might very well be the cause for those who fail the final test in the end....  Terrible ideas and misinformation once again spread like wildfire (like we see today with masks & vaccine).  And that is what causes so many to lose their life again after the 1000 years.  :unsure:
  3. Remember that the things man has done today has caused great harm to animals.  We've "paved paradise and put up a parking lot", as one song says.  When Jehovah said to subdue the animals, he didn't mean to wipe them out.  Our technology has caused us to wipe out a lot of animal habitat.  When we're in the new world, we are going to live in harmony with animals.  Work with them.  Our technology, if we even have any, cannot be invasive.  This is my argument against cars or any other thing that would require a lot of environmental destruction.

As we imagine ourselves in the new world, we should look beyond what we see now.  One artwork shows a little girl sleeping under a tree with a panther in the limbs above.  Would we ever just go find a random tree and sleep under it today?  No...but that's possible in the new world.  It will be perfectly fine.

Also, we don't know how closely we'll work with angels.  Maybe they'll give us a lift anytime we need to go someplace quickly.  Can you imagine that?  Being carried by an angel?  It could happen.  Or maybe we'll get super speed as needed like Elisha (or Elijah, I forget).  That's the kind of things we can look forward to maybe happening!  Forget our tech...look at the miracles that could happen when we have such a close and beautiful relationship with Jehovah and his heavenly family.  :D  Just don't be disappointed if that doesn't happen...  :wink:

41 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

How much do they know about space exploration?

I have a thought on that too....lol.

Why are there supernovas?  Why are there destructive black holes?  Does Jehovah use that as more demonstration of His power?  Is the power we see already not good enough?  Or....are supernovas and space destruction evidence of mistakes that Jehovah made?  Obviously not...Jehovah doesn't make mistakes.

Well....how about this.  We know Jehovah does things naturally.  He created Eve from a rib from Adam.  Didn't just snap his fingers and BOOM, there's Eve.  Same with using the dinosaurs to get the earth ready.  Didn't just snap his fingers and BOOM, earth is perfect.

So...what about angels?  Do they know everything they need to know right from the start, or.....do they need to learn?

My opinion

The vast universe is a playground for angels.  It is where they learn how to use their powers, and how to interact with the physical world.  Some angels make mistakes, and BOOM, you have supernovas and blackholes and other very destructive things.  Whoops!!  Good thing they didn't try that on earth!  :sweat:

Considering how Jehovah spent eons of time with Jesus, raising him, teaching him, it only stands to reason that angels need to learn and practice their abilities.  That's what all the galaxies and planets are for.  For them...to learn...safely.....without destroying us accidentally.

Maybe one day we'll get to explore other planets.  Or maybe we'll just stick with our home, the place that was designed specifically for us.  And we'll just have to dream about Star Trek.  Hope not....I really would like to explore the galaxy.  But it might not be in our purpose.  :shrugs:

33 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

.I really would like to explore the galaxy.

You seem to be a little conflicted, you don't want technology but you want to explore the galaxy..:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I believe absolutely that we'll have similar communication tech like we have now in the New World- and that it will be incredibly useful to all of us.  Seriously  apart from misuse, what is wrong with it?

To echo @Tortuga- it's curious to talk about being "unplugged" on a cruise ship;  that entire thing is run by quite complex technology. No one is down there rowing.. 😃  Tech is fantastic. 

28 minutes ago, Hope said:

I believe absolutely that we'll have similar communication tech like we have now in the New World- and that it will be incredibly useful to all of us.  Seriously  apart from misuse, what is wrong with it?

To echo @Tortuga- it's curious to talk about being "unplugged" on a cruise ship;  that entire thing is run by quite complex technology. No one is down there rowing.. 😃  Tech is fantastic. 

I explained what I thought was wrong already. Basically, it's distracting and invasive. And, another point, will require people to maintain it and run it. When we no longer need money and jobs, who's gonna work like that just so everyone can be plugged in again? Not me! I'm going exploring! :raspberry:

Yup...the cruise is run by tech. But I don't have to deal with it. I'm unplugged. B)

7 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

I can't help it. I'm imperfect! :raspberry:

Brother Jeremy, with your sense of humor, you are going to fit right in here.  👍 :D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

10 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Not me! I'm going exploring

Hmmm...

It's a good thing we have a 1000 years to coordinate the largest demolition and reconstruction project the world has ever seen, then coordinate teaching billions of people from countless cultures and do all of that without technology while you are wandering through the woods. :lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The problem isn't technology. The problem is people... 2 Tim 3:1-5 isn't about tech.

Technology is fine when used properly.

I don't want to miss the birth of a new member of my family just because I'm on the other side of the planet... Or the galaxy :D

5 minutes ago, Dages said:

The problem isn't technology. The problem is people... 2 Tim 3:1-5 isn't about tech.

Technology is fine when used properly.

I don't want to miss the birth of a new member of my family just because I'm on the other side of the planet... Or the galaxy :D

Or weddings or new houses or graduations or resurrection reunions or conventions around the world or... or... 🥰