JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

2 hours ago, Bosko said:

Yes, it's the same announcement brother Lett read.

It was read here after the watchtower study ☺️

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

Going on the latest GT clarifications, it appears we should expect quite an influx of new people wishing to become part of the Great Crowd. No doubt a clarification on beards for brothers in positions of oversight, prevents any confusion caused to these new ones, especially as beards are much more prevalent in Western society today, let alone other cultures.

And a 'no beards' policy probably wouldn't sit well with those newly resurrected. Imagine telling Moses or Abraham to lose it or forsake any privileges 🤣

Edited by SteveAus

1 hour ago, Paul s said:

The key is are we going to be distracting from Jehovah's message in how we keep a beard.

The same can be said in regard to any/all of our dress and grooming.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I just received an image of brother Lett with a beard. Is that going to far? It feels disrespectful to me.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, SteveAus said:

Going on the latest GT clarifications, it appears we should expect quite an influx of new people wishing to become part of the Great Crowd. No doubt a clarification on beards for brothers in positions of oversight, prevents any confusion caused to these new ones, especially as beards are much more prevalent in Western society today, let alone other cultures.

And a 'no beards' policy probably wouldn't sit well with those newly resurrected. Imagine telling Moses or Abraham to lose it or forsake any privileges 🤣

Went to Walmart today and noticed so many beards so common around here.

To have a beard or not to have a beard, that is the question? 

Yet the answer is the new world where we will no longer have to be on guard with the spirit of this world. All these little irritations will never come to mind again. (hopefully) For some reason it never made sense to me that someone would have to tell Daniel to shave his beard. Just me, I guess. Beards, eating meat, using VOC's for fuel, flying cars, living on other planets, does not matter as long as I am there to teach a Viking Warrior in the resurrection. Now that intrigues me.

Can you imagine meeting Erik "the Victorious" in the resurrection and needing to teach him about Jehovah? First of all, Erik, this is not Valhalla, I am not Oden. let me tell you about Jesus and the ransom he provided.....

Or a soldier who sacrificed his life for his country, king, or emperor. He is raised up and realized he was duped.

Edited by Golfguy74

added Erik the Victorious deity for clarification

Tonight at the meeting the brother who hold the microphone for the commentaries had a half grown beard 

😅

along with a huge smile on his face

He had tried to wear before but somehow always shaved it after a few days.

now he s so happy 😁 

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I just received an image of brother Lett with a beard. Is that going to far? It feels disrespectful to me.

I am sure he can handle it ....assuming the photo was not disrespectful. 

If one has been to a Bethel family day, a lot of poking good natured humour is handed out and received in some of the skits.

Even Brother Lett wearing a colourful shirt was a nod to past dress and grooming changes. 

There is humour in the bible especially if we understand the original language.

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

This was a little discussion out in service.  Two brothers said no beards for them (the sisters/wives) said I don't like a face with hair.  I prefer my husband without a beard.  But among the single brothers, publishers and servants and single elders, well they said wait and see in 2024!

Another point was made out in service, when Abraham is resurrected, he won't have a beard.  He will chose whether or not to grow one.  He might like to have a shaven face.  But it will be a choice not a command or a tradition.  The way of the world's thinking will be gone and Jehovah's standards will be in place.  (Personally, I prefer a man with a nice beard, and mustache.  Trimmed and looks nice and presentable.)

1 hour ago, JkentBZ said:

This is my Dad about the same age I am now. He was not a JW but was a highly respected business man. I am going to try this style beard. 

He finally found the truth in 1997. He passed last year. I miss him.

20231216_160750.jpg

Now THAT is a nice beard!

Sorry for you loss

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Hmm, I just tried to get an AI to add beards to a group photo of the GB... Probably for the best I couldn't figure it out haha :sweat:

5 hours ago, jwhess said:

I wonder how many brothers are reminded of safety rules.  In food service, restaurants, canning factories, food prep (and slaughter), plus industrial areas with moving machinery may have company, state, federal or OSHA requirements to wear "beard nets.  It is like the requirement of women to wear hair nets or coverings.

I have been in such environments and the nets looked uncomfortable.  Hard to wear one and get a snack or drink.

I have been involved in commercial manufacturing in the food industry for the past 15 years.   Beard nets, such as shown in the other photo are not typically thick like that.   Other than tickling a bit and/or slightly annoying (and even goofy looking), they are usually very thin, disposable and can come off instantly.   In the U.S., this is part of GMP's (good manufacturing practices) and may be FDA and/or state county mandated.   Here is a typical one:

beardnet.jpg

Edited by Desert Dan

Just now, Desert Dan said:

I have been involved in commercial manufacturing in the food industry for the past 15 years.   Beard nets, such as shown in the photo are not typically thick like that.   Other than tickling a bit and/or slightly annoying (and even goofy looking, they are usually very thin, disposable and can come off instantly.   In the U.S., this is part of GMP's (good manufacturing practices) and may be FDA and/or state county mandated.

beardnet.jpg

Yes indeed.  I picked one for a guy with a fuller beard (not because of the quality of the net).

The point is that no-bearded men might not have included that in their consideration of the choice of clean-shaven or bearded.

1 minute ago, jwhess said:

Yes indeed.  I picked one for a guy with a fuller beard (not because of the quality of the net).

The point is that no-bearded men might not have included that in their consideration of the choice of clean-shaven or bearded.

When I used to deal with Rabbi auditors (for the Kosher part), we didn't have beard nets big enough!

7 hours ago, Fiona said:

On the other hand , I am a sister who HATES beards. I've begged my husband not to grow one. I've told him, if he stops shaving so will I. He can have my hairy armpits and legs.

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk

Please don’t take what I’m about to say the wrong way. But if I were married, I think I would rather my wife enjoy a hairstyle or whatever it is that makes her happy than for her to adhere to my preferences to make me happy. I would think her happiness is more important than my preferences. There’s one particular hairstyle I hate. If my wife wanted to have this hairstyle, I would try to talk her out of it. But if she insisted, and I knew it would make her happy, I would “let” her. I find that the loving thing to do.

I personally don’t like hairy legs or armpits on a woman. But if I married a woman from a country where women didn’t shave, and she temporarily shaved to “fit in” or to please me but wanted to go back to her old way of doing things, I would “let” her if that made her happy. If I wanted to grow a beard and my wife told me she would stop shaving if I did, I’d have to take her up on that.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 hour ago, Allabord4Jah said:

Another point was made out in service, when Abraham is resurrected, he won't have a beard.  He will chose whether or not to grow one. 

May I ask? Why wouldn't Abraham have a beard when resurrected?

King Hezekiah was pictured with a beard when resurrected. Although Daniel wasn't.  Just wondering if I've missed something.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

26 minutes ago, *Jack* said:

Please don’t take what I’m about to say the wrong way. But if I were married, I think I would rather my wife enjoy a hairstyle or whatever it is that makes her happy than for her to adhere to my preferences to make me happy. I would think her happiness is more important than my preferences. There’s one particular hairstyle I hate. If my wife wanted to have this hairstyle, I would try to talk her out of it. But if she insisted, and I knew it would make her happy, I would “let” her. I find that the loving thing to do.

I personally don’t like hairy legs or armpits on a woman. But if I married a woman from a country where women didn’t shave, and she temporarily shaved to “fit in” or to please me but wanted to go back to her old way of doing things, I would “let” her if that made her happy. If I wanted to grow a beard and my wife told me she would stop shaving if I did, I’d have to take her up on that.

Honey, apparently you're not married. You can't know what you prefer until you are. It's swayed by your wife and her reasoning. Listen to her.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34