Jump to content
JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Forum
Tortuga

Lessons learned at JWTalks..

Recommended Posts

This is more of a request than a lesson learned;

 

I've noticed several new topics that pose a question in the title and then the body of the first post continues with additional information without including the original question, that makes it difficult to keep things in context and to quote and reply to the question that was posed in the title.

 

If you start a new topic and part of your first post is included in the title of the topic, please include the same information in the body of your post.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

This is more of a request than a lesson learned;

 

I've noticed several new topics that pose a question in the title and then the body of the first post continues with additional information without including the original question, that makes it difficult to keep things in context and to quote and reply to the question that was posed in the title.

 

If you start a new topic and part of your first post is included in the title of the topic, please include the same information in the body of your post.

 

Are you running for "moderator" Richard?!! haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another lesson that I have learned at JWT is to remember that this forum is a large congregation of brothers and sisters. We may be tempted to treat the friends here differently than the friends that we personally know in our own congregation but just because we haven’t met face-to-face shouldn’t change the way we should treat each other.

 

This is a large congregation with a wide variety of spiritual maturity, ages, cultures, opinions, perspectives, mental health, physical health, emotional health, employment issues, family issues and more. We need to keep in mind that we should show love and insight when dealing with each other and never try to force our personal opinions or drag our soapbox from topic to topic. If one of our brothers or sisters needs to be readjusted, then we should do so privately and lovingly while showing good insight and discretion, our goal on this forum is to strengthen and encourage one another, not correct, criticize and condemn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well said Richard! I would like to add that if we do feel the need to approach a fellow member privately and that person disagrees with our opinion and doesn't react the way we think they should and rejects our counsel, then our only choice is to let the matter drop. DO NOT continue to hound thus person until they take your advice and start doing things your way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the last two posts entirely (Tortuga and Musky). Like.JPG I have found that since most of us here have never met personally, we somehow feel it gives us the right to be a little more blunt with each other. But that's a good start to hard feelings. We need to consider how others, who may be of a different country, background, culture, etc, may react to what we're saying.

 

A few weeks ago, I finally had the privilege of meeting a (former) member from JWTalk. She and I had communicated a few times via PM and then via email, but it was the longest time before we actually met. (Some time ago she decided not to return here for personal reasons, after many online discussions together about it.) She happened to be visiting my city, and I enjoyed meeting and talking to her personally. But I think of how different that meeting might have turned out if we had spoken to each other differently online than the way we did. I am happy both of us kept our manners online over the time before we met.

 

I find that it's an art to be able to treat someone you've never seen face-to-face as an actual person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2015 at 5:55 PM, bagwell1987 said:

Need to add real quick- I appreciate how this forum keeps me up on the brotherhood, what's new, what's coming, spoilers, info to be shared at the meeting etc. I'm not married to a brother so my life is, has been, left in the dark because I'm not part of those 'who know', but on this forum I get to know, what can be revealed, and it makes me feel good. A sister known for being the first to 'know' came up to me and 'shared' what she knew was going to be announced at the meeting. I told her I knew last week, it wasn't secret, but she was miffed that 'ol me' would know anything.  :raspberry:  What I wanted to do! HA!

 

Sister, your post is more than two years ago but I just stumbled onto this topic.

I couldn't have said it better !

There have always been those 'well connected' , and their groupies.

The forum levels the playing field . .haha.

Human nature being what it is, even here I sometimes feel that I'm eavesdropping on a small circle of prominent ones.

But, as I have posted before, I love you guys !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't take any editing to use the :thumbsup: emoji. It is included in the group of original emojis under "Emoticons" at the bottom of the dropdown ... or, you can type it with : thumbsup : without the spaces between the colons and the text and it does not have to be bold (if I type it that way - it will display the emoji, nit the text - you can hang your mouse pointer over the emoji to see the text shortcut :yes: )

Edited by Qapla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Qapla said:

It doesn't take any editing to use the :thumbsup: emoji. It is included in the group of original emojis under "Emoticons" at the bottom of the dropdown ... or, you can type it with : thumbsup : without the spaces between the colons and the text and it does not have to be bold (if I type it that way - it will display the emoji, nit the text - you can hang your mouse pointer over the emoji to see the text shortcut :yes: )

Sorry I was only joking...he only posted that one thing and it said edited so I thought he may have changed it from one to another...thanks for explaining that anyway..:)

Just now, Dove said:

Sorry I was only joking...he only posted that one thing and it said edited so I thought he may have changed it from one to another...thanks for explaining that anyway..:)

I know at times I have changed an emoji 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, campanula said:

Some of English speaking friends do not know how to use Google translate. 😲

Funny, I was just thinking of that this morning. I would like to get proficient at using Google translate so I can write brothers and sisters in other lands to encourage them (like Russia). Maybe someone who is good at using it can start a topic to help the rest of us use this great tool properly to help us get our main thoughts through in an understandable way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shali said:

Funny, I was just thinking of that this morning. I would like to get proficient at using Google translate so I can write brothers and sisters in other lands to encourage them (like Russia). Maybe someone who is good at using it can start a topic to help the rest of us use this great tool properly to help us get our main thoughts through in an understandable way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 18.9.15 by Robert Angle (changelog)