JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

(Singer) Prince dies at 57

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2885 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I have an elder in my hall that still doesn't believe Br. Nelson was ever baptized or in good standing as a Jehovah's Witness when he died (despite all the news articles and quotes from elders in Br. Nelson's congregation).  When I told him that Larry Graham was instrumental in bringing him in the truth he said there was no concrete proof that Larry Graham was a witness either.  Unless he talks face to face with a elder or C.O. that he knows personally that are in their congregations, he refuses to believe.  

Even if I showed him the screenshots of the Memorial program, he would say that someone could easily create their own program to make it look like Prince was a witness.  Some are just going to believe what they want to believe whether there is proof or not.  Better to just let a dead dog lie.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I suppose David Semonian from the Branch's statement after Prince died wasn't good enough, either?  Or the Awake article featuring Larry Graham's life story? Yes, he's an elder - I saw him give a talk at my Circuit Assembly years ago.  How do we know that *this* elder is in good standing -- or indeed, any of us?  What sort of proof do any of us provide?  And why would ANYone pretend or want to "make it look like" Prince was a Witness???  Many of his hardcore fans hate that about him.. :mellow:

It's a shame people would be so suspicious of our brothers and sisters... :( 

Edited by Hope

I even showed him the statement made by brother Semonian from the Branch and he still didn't believe because he didn't know that brother personally.  He says, if it isn't on JW.org then he won't beleive it.  I explained why the organization would not put such a statement on a website designed for Bible research worldwide and although he had to agree with me, it still didn't matter.  In the big scheme of things, what this elder beleives about Prince will not affect his spirituality or how he feels about Jehovah, so I just gave up.  Perhaps someday they will meet and this brother will have a tiny, fleeting thought in the back of his mind "I remember a sister in my congregation in the old system trying to tell me you were indeed a Brother in good standing and I didn't believe her - now what was her name?!!! haha!

heh -- I'm not sure how this brother even got the Truth, then -- we didn't even know what the Governing Body really looked like 'til fairly recently.  Sure didn't know what they sounded like or would recognize them on the street.  He's like Thomas to the maximum degree, seems like... needing his hands in the wounds, eh?  To not believe statements from brothers just because he doesn't know them personally sounds like it could, indeed, affect his spirituality some day.. :( 

Brother Semonian is the PR rep for the Branch.  If that's not good enough for this "elder" (since I don't know him, either), he can just have a nice day. :P 

19 minutes ago, shali said:

I have an elder in my hall that still doesn't believe Br. Nelson was ever baptized or in good standing as a Jehovah's Witness when he died (despite all the news articles and quotes from elders in Br. Nelson's congregation).  When I told him that Larry Graham was instrumental in bringing him in the truth he said there was no concrete proof that Larry Graham was a witness either.  Unless he talks face to face with a elder or C.O. that he knows personally that are in their congregations, he refuses to believe.  

Even if I showed him the screenshots of the Memorial program, he would say that someone could easily create their own program to make it look like Prince was a witness.  Some are just going to believe what they want to believe whether there is proof or not.  Better to just let a dead dog lie.

No concrete proof that Larry Graham is a Witness? I guess "someone" planted that life story about him in our publications! Really, pretty extreme to have such a suspicious point of view towards these brothers. Sometimes I have to keep reminding myself that we're all imperfect people. :confused:

His reasoning is that that article was written many years ago and there is no proof to indicate that Larry Graham is still a witness.

Except... there are people who go to the congregation he attends and verify that he is, indeed, an elder.  There's only no proof that HE considers viable.  :angry:

Crikey -- this brother sounds very difficult. :(   I'd hate to have him on a disciplinary committee.. what proof would suffice?

You know Hope, that is exactly what I thought when I was trying to reason with him.  I thought I would never want to appear in front of a judicial committee that he was part of!! I wouldn't have a chance in the world!  Funny thing is, he knows I have a problem with trust when it comes to the elders and he's always talking to me about it - but I don't think he realizes he has a problem with trust when it comes to other Brothers who have a much different job than the rest of us (entertaiment industry)!  He doesn't even believe George Benson is a brother (I don't know how he could deny that was George Benson's voice singing the last song in the monthly broadcast a few months back - there is no other voice like his).

Apparently he has taken umbridge to Larry Graham's purple hat and suit (that he wore to Br. Nelson's first private Memorial at his home).  He says "what brother would dress like that".  I told him he needs to go to an convention in Chicago where most of the brothers and sisters are from Chicago!  They love to wear all kinds of hats and different colored suits!

ha - i have a hard time with brothers who wear white socks with their suits or don't seem to have a tie newer than 1986... but, they're still brothers, right?  i'm sorry for his hardline view... he must stay nervous about people.. :( 

it's funny -- the song "I Give You My Best" is playing on my computer right now... it's absolutely George Benson.  Perhaps he's as shifty as Brother Semonian, eh? :D 

I feel the organization made the choice to use George Benson's voice (in a song that perhaps he himself, in all likelihood wrote) to help us all see that there are still those in the entertainment industry who are still well recognized that are still serving Jehovah loyally and are in good standing.  They had to know that everyone who has ever heard a George Benson record would recognize his voice in an instant.

1 hour ago, shali said:

Tell this elder that you know someone that doesn't believe he's an elder in your congregation and you can't convince that person otherwise.  After all, until I meet this elder face to face, I'll never be sure he's really an elder.  Even if I meet him, I won't be sure. :lol1:

2 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Tell this elder that you know someone that doesn't believe he's an elder in your congregation and you can't convince that person otherwise.  After all, until I meet this elder face to face, I'll never be sure he's really an elder.  Even if I meet him, I won't be sure. :lol1:

Funny, that is exactly what I did a day later after my initial conversation with him.  He came here from another congregation and I told him unless I speak to the c.O. or committee that appointed him as an elder, how do i know he's really an elder?  I need to see it on JW.org website or Ican't believe it's true.  

.... Ask your service committee to read the letter from the brother's old congregation they should have received to confirm his standing and appointment for next local confirmation... I mean local needs part... 😁 just kidding....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Oh for cryin' out loud!!!

Why can't some people let it go? Okkk so now his memorial program was faked? What's it gonna be next? I cannot believe even after all has been said and done, there's still some of us who are going to bad mouth Bro. Prince! Oh and wait! They're not only bad mouthing Bro. Prince, but now they're bad mouthing the brothers too, who are appointed by holy spirit. Yeah so okay they're imperfect (the ones being bad mouthed), but so what. You mean to tell me that the brothers in Bro. Prince's  congregation are actually going to waste their precious time in setting up a memorial for our dear brother...who's a fake according to some? Gimme a break!!!! And now they're attacking Bro. Graham too? Don't they have enough to do like preaching, teaching, studying, mtg preparation, etc, etc, etc? Well evidently not or so it seems, to them anyway.

I'm sick.

Edited by Luezette

7 hours ago, Luezette said:

Oh for cryin' out loud!!!

7 hours ago, Luezette said:

Don't they have enough to do like preaching, teaching, studying, mtg preparation, etc, etc, etc? Well evidently not or so it seems, to them anyway.

I'm sick.

Hopefully this Brother will be assigned the first part in the mid week meeting and he will glean some insight from the references for the part about who is welcomed into Gods tent...

Sister,  I hope you are well soonest. ...

Tim does have a point.  I'm  going to leave it open but you all can please stop bringing up anything about anyone believing or disbelieving or proving or disproving Prince's standing in the congregation.  

This means everyone.  

Time to let it go. 

Edited by Shawnster

YES Larry Graham is an elder...he gave a wonderful talk at our convention last year

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:14 AM, shali said:

In a link to a video posted on the Rolling Stones website regarding Prince's Memorial at the Kingdom Hall, they said that Larry Graham was an elder.

Y

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 5:08 AM, timpin said:

This thread once again seems to be taking a turn for the worse - not reflecting unity   ...   

(perhaps its time to close)

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:14 AM, shali said:

In a link to a video posted on the Rolling Stones website regarding Prince's Memorial at the Kingdom Hall, they said that Larry Graham was an elder.

On 5/16/2016 at 3:58 AM, MM9106 said:

Stephen Compagna - He's a CO, correct?

He is an active CO currently assigned to a Circuit in South Florida that includes the Florida Keys

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 5/1/2016 at 9:13 AM, Tortuga said:

I was talking to a brother yesterday that told me a story about Bro Nelson, a friend of ours was an Attendant at the District Convention at the San Francisco Cow Palace a few years ago and a large man asked him for some seats that were out of the way and wouldn't create any undo attention, as the brother was talking to the man he found out the man was Brother Nelsons body guard and Brother Nelson was standing behind him. The brother said that Brother Nelson was very small, like a child and they ended up sitting in one of the upper rows in the main seating area.

(Precision; our large German friend was the attendant)

large, German,

Edited by MizPeg

because that feature, edit, can be achieved

35 minutes ago, MizPeg said:

large, German,

Ya....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2885 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.