JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Post a picture... Any picture

Just received my Snopes newsletter for June and found out that this is not a fake photo:

quadruple-rainbow.jpg

This is an outstanding example of a primary and secondary rainbow (relatively common) occurring together with their reflected-light counterparts (quite rare). Allow me to elaborate.

A typical primary rainbow is caused by refraction and one internal reflection of sunlight within raindrops, resulting in a rainbow that is positioned 41 arc degrees from the anti-solar point (i.e., the point directly opposite the sun – for example, if the sun is 10 degrees above the horizon at your back, the anti-solar point is 10 degrees below the horizon directly in front of you). The refraction causes the separation of white sunlight into its component colors, with red on the outside of the rainbow and violet on the inside.

The secondary rainbow, which is centered 51 arc degrees from the anti-solar point (i.e., the larger of the two bows during a typical display), involves two internal reflections of sunlight within the raindrops rather than one, resulting in a reversal of the color sequence (red on the inside and violet on the outside). We can usually only see the portion of these rainbows above the horizon, because there isn’t a sufficient density of raindrops between the observer and the ground to see the rainbow below the horizon (exceptions include full-circle rainbows viewed from locales such as airplanes and mountain tops).

So far, so good. For the much rarer reflected-light rainbows shown in this spectacular photo, a large glassy-smooth water surface is required behind the observer. This smooth water surface reflects the sun, such that a second solar light source is generated. This reflected sun, which is located the same the number of arc degrees below the horizon as the real sun is above the horizon, creates a second primary and secondary rainbow on the opposite side of the sky from the sun, but with the center of these reflected-light rainbows above the horizon. The geometry dictates that the regular and reflected-light rainbows will join at the horizon, as this photo shows.

http://www.snopes.com/photograph-shows-eight-rainbows/

Unlike this FAKE photo, that defies the laws of physics:

8-rainbows.jpg

:uhhuh:

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I love reading your posts Ross, you have such interesting things to share. You think of and see things differently from me then I can see them different too. Love that.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

9 minutes ago, Old said:

Sunset at our house Saturday evening.

Photo by a local photographer  Ken Gagne

Sunset reduced.jpg

Is that the Enterprise hiding in the cloud?

:D

sunset.jpg

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

17 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Is that the Enterprise hiding in the cloud?

sunset.jpg

Are we talking 'edibles' here?  :lol: How is your pain level? :D

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

If riding a giant log down a steep mountain sounds like an ideal way to spend a quiet spring afternoon, the Onbashira Festival is for you. Held every 6 years in Nagano, Japan,the festival involves moving enormous logs over difficult terrain completely by hand with the help of thickly braided ropes and an occasional assist from gravity as the logs barrel down hills. The purpose is to symbolically renew a nearby shrine where each log is eventually placed to support the foundation of several shrine buildings. The event has reportedly continued uninterrupted for 1,200 years. 

c7e5d144-7ed9-454f-801a-8c48fe255c1a.gif:confused::uhhuh:

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I got one of those phone calls from India. You know the kind. A sweet voice young woman saying my name is Patricia and I am with Windows Support. We have found a problem on you computer. She seemed to be sincere so I went along with the procedure. Went to their web page and gave them control of my computer. They were unable to solve my problem, but promised to send a service tech by my house to clean up my computer. No one showed up for a week, I think they were waiting for my check to clear. Low and behold today the service tech showed up.  

tech support.png

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

19 hours ago, Old said:

I got one of those phone calls from India. You know the kind. A sweet voice young woman saying my name is Patricia and I am with Windows Support. We have found a problem on you computer. She seemed to be sincere so I went along with the procedure. Went to their web page and gave them control of my computer. They were unable to solve my problem, but promised to send a service tech by my house to clean up my computer. No one showed up for a week, I think they were waiting for my check to clear. Low and behold today the service tech showed up.  

tech support.png

Apparently  the word "gullible" can not be found in most dictionaries.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I was doing Special Metropolitan Witnessing today when 4 Chinese tourists approached the cart and took 11 books and will download more from JW ORG (They want to learn about the Bible)

They are flying back to China with the books ! happy !

IMG_1221.JPG

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

If you like optical illusions, you're gonna LOVE this one:  thumbs up wink.gif 
If you stare at this image long enough, you should start to see a giraffe:

Optical illusion Giraffe.gif

laughing w.gif